Base

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

odin
Sgt. Major

Re: Play

Post by odin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:52 pm

It has been belting for the past couple of days so it may drift over your way. Caught us napping with the sun cream though and now my two year old is sporting a classic Brit-abroad tomato-red face. Just needs the beer gut and George's cross tats.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:55 pm

An idea I'm working on based on my current aims (or lack of) and observations, validated (if that's the right word) by some other sources experiences too.

Minimal Effort Black Box

Goals: bit of everything style dad-fitness, with an eye to enjoyment, health & strength.

3 'formal' sessions per week - 2 strength emphasis, 1 conditioning/met-con

Strength emphasis: do one compound, good exercise. No set reps or sets, just practice it for 10-15 mins. Snatch or C&Jk are good choices, DL variants or carries and presses are probably good choices too.

Following this, play at whatever floats your boat for the remaining time you have available. Right now I'm into the gymnastic type stuff but lots of stuff could go here.

Conditioning: either mixed mode circuits or sprint work. Don't push to the point of vomit though.

Rest of the time stay active in the low intensity range, (JM/yoga, walking, working, chasing after your kids). Add in as much games/sport type activity as you get the chance for. Social stuff is best, stuff that your family can take part in is also good.

I think this may be my plan for quite some time.

Xian
Sarge

Post by Xian » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:43 am

Looking good Odin. Your training in this log seems...'wholesome'.
I nod to your pranayama experience, especially the 'nothing to get, no-one to get it' part. Pranayama feels nice, but it kinda misses the spiritual mark and to me it seems like it easily ends up being like a dog chasing it's tail; chasing momentary states of bliss instead of learning to cope with reality and yourself.
Which is why I haven't done much of any in the longest time. But there is a purpose for everything I guess. Will you be continuing it or moving on (back?) to something else?
There is a vast difference between treating effects and adjusting the causes.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks for the input... Well, I set out to do it for 40 days of this and then review, but I agree entirely with what you wrote there, so may move to something 'simpler' after this week is done. Mindfulness of breathing or even a walking meditation practice probably ticks all the boxes I am looking for, and may well have more carryover to real life, as you indicate there. Some of the pranayama writings etc are a bit too way out for me now as well. I was enthralled by this kind of thing once upon a time, but it just baffles me now. Philosophically/spiritually speaking, I don't think you need to force yourself through all manner of strange disciplines to get a grip of your mind, or to experience that kind of transcendent connectiveness that most practices have as at least a nice side effect, if not the chief goal.

The other thing that has occurred to me over this period, is that having some kind of community to occasionally dip into or a teacher to occasionally refer to does indeed keep you focused, and has an intangible feel good benefit. As such I may pop down to one of Zen centres in the city or something similar. I don't think the content actually matters too much to be honest, providing it's not some far out cultish type set up...

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Your plan sounds good, odin.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:46 pm

cheers, I hope it lends itself to keeping my hand in with stuff and giving me enough 'freedom' to play at the things I like doing - especially over the summer; hitting the mountains, bouldering maybe some wrasslin' etc.

today:

1. yoga - an extended mobility type thing I'll write up later, then pranayama

2. bouldering - 2 hours worth plus some ring pull ups at the end. Really good fun, though hot and knackering.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:32 pm

26/07

1. yoga

2. Snatch - triples up to 50kg, singles to 60kg. Easy but ragged. Quality is aim, not quantity.

3. handstand practice - moving to doing these without any wall involvement - ie kicking straight up into freestanding.

4. L-sit to frog stand - 4 sets of 3-5 slow reps

5. ring dips with L-sit between reps - 4 sets

6. ring flyes - 3 sets

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:56 pm

27/07

1. yoga

2. handstand practice

3. muscle ups - some doubles on bars, then assisted ones on rings

4. front lever practice

5. skin the cats practice

6. ice cream makers - 4 sets

7. reverse flyes and shit on the rings - 3 sets

diet went to rat shit today.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:23 pm

28/07

1. yoga

2. Zercher Squats -5's up to 100kg

3. Pistols - 5 x 5/5 with 10kg plate held to front

4. GHR - 3 x 5

5. Split squat - 20kg vest x 3 x 10/10

6. ab wheel - 3 x 10

29/07

rest

30/07

1. yoga

2. Maxwell's DD

3. 3 rounds of:

-2H cast - 15kg club x 10/10
-Iranian push ups x 10
-Clockwork Squats - 15kg club x 10/10
-Bicycle crunch x 20
-KB Swing - 24kg x 10/10

That's probably a redundant workout to be honest. I'm getting JM and strength endurance from the vyayam inspired morning routine, and from bouldering of course. I should probably have rested or maybe gone for a walk with the family later on, but my son was asleep and I still have a slight compulsion to exercise for the sake of it sometimes....

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:17 pm

01/07

1. yoga

2. bouldering - 2 hours

that's 40 days of the pranayama practice I set out to do. I wasn't totally consistent, and have probably missed 4 days and done a different practice twice when I simply couldn't face the pranayama sequence for whatever reason. So it's really about 34 days, but enough to make some observations. Ultimately, I think a focus on energetic practices, (as in physically demanding) seems to take away from psychological insights/mind-stuff, (terminology is clunky here, but hopefully it makes sense). I am also bothered by an absence of hands-on instruction with the breath holding practices. I aint 100% sure I'm doing them correctly to be honest, and am not sure at what point I need to move onto newer/longer stuff. It all seems very complicated, and intuitively seems unneccessary.

I do however enjoy the physical practice of hatha yoga. I enjoy it like I enjoy walking in the hills or swimming in the sea. It may or may not yield lasting 'spiritual' benefits, but it feels very good, in a difficult to quantify type of way.

Bedlam wrote in another post that yoga can become another 'addition', a form of striving in the same way you strive in work, training and other aspects of life. This is quite true ime, although its inclusion is supposed to be an antidote to exactly that. I think tomorrow I will continue with a yoga practice, but it will be much more relaxed, with fewer energetic asana and less breath manipulation. Emphasis instead on simple awareness of posture and breath, and see where that leads.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:34 pm

some insights from the summer period;

1) the broader view, as well as the longer view are nearly always the best way to approach a training template for non professional athletes. Right now for example, social training and getting outside are the most important elements of my training. The finer details matter a bit, but not much.

2) Goals are good, but process goals may be more important than specific objectives. EG, setting out to bench 150kg again may give me a brief focus, and lead to a moment of satisfaction, but this will rapidly subside and invariably gve way to feelings of dissatisfaction. Conversely a goal like 'strength train 104 times this year' is a longer term aim that ensures a sustained healthy way of life.

3) Continuing from point 1); paint with broad strokes. Details dont matter much most of the time, but training should be balanced between hard and soft, work and rest or high & low intensity. Good soft exercise for me: yoga and walking.

4) Most really healthy old people (70 plus) I know eat small amounts of food and stay active everyday. None use the gym, but all have some hobby they love. None are bothered about whether their food is paleo either. Take home point for a 30-something; busting your bollocks at the gym to the point where you have no energy for other stuff may be a very short term approach to health, and indeed life. Furthermore, contrived or awkward dietary fads should be avoided.

My current regimen looks like this:

Daily: Joint mobility & meditation

3-4 times a week: walk, ideally with the family.

2-3 times a week: strength training - gymnastics based strength circuits.

Once a week: bouldering or a run

1-2 times a week: yoga

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Same as before. Forgot though; I've been doing a daily douse for the summer period. I like it a lot. Makes me feel very good afterwards, and any reputed extra health benefits are a bonus.

Diet-wise, I've experimented with a more paleo approach for a month+, but on the whole I don't think this is a long term approach for me, so have reinstated oats, rice and beans into my diet. Simple dietary patterns trump rigid adherence to some ill-founded dogma imo. Enjoying your food has to be key, that is fucking obvious.

Training wise, I'm getting better at bouldering and other related activities. I feel fitter too, and am a good 6-8lbs down from the start of the year.

In short, there is no reason to change owt at the moment. Which probably means change is imminent.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:56 pm

Update on training for own benefit... I've added a little running into the mix. I want this to be more like active recovery than anything else. Thus far I've had mixed success with keeping the intensity down, as the mind always wants to get somewhere. Real good parallels with the meditation actually with this. I am taking my cues from the systema running posts on here and some other sources; basically emphasising smooth, effortless form with timed nasal breathing throughout.

Strength wise, the 'play' philosophy is continuing. I'm falling into doing one posterior chain lift and a load of gymnastic type work on the rings and bars.

Bouldering is continuing as often as time permits, and I'm still working on the handstand.

The only thing that needles me is the fact I'm doing a bit too much here; not in terms of volume, which is manageable, but in terms of modes. It becomes a bland mush if you try and fit too many things in ime. I may sharpen things up with a couple of specific goals over the next week or two, but equally I wont force this. I do realise the main training pleasure for me is being outside in the hills or doing activities related to this, so perhaps some goals along these lines may clean up the schedule a little.

At present it sort of runs:

Day One: floor work, rings, KB swings
Day Two: easy cardio and stretching/yoga
Day Three: same as day one but different
Day Four: off or easy run
Day Five: bouldering or whatever
Day Six: off or easy run

Each session is fun, which is important, but maybe a proper target or two would make it even more so.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:47 pm

want to start more regular logging again, as it provides a nice focus...

The change of the seasons is making me want to simplify things a little, and perhaps follow a little more structure. So I may drop some of the more complex gymnastic stuff for now, and follow something like this:

1. mobility warm up

2. focus lift (strength/power emphasis)

3. mixed mode circuit, (bwe, sandbags, KBs etc - emphasise good form and sufficient rest to keep quality high)

Alternate days will be base level cardio or stretching.

This represents the kind of fitness I actually need in life, as opposed to pursuing some other kind of pseudo-athletic fantasy. Should see me right for autumn and maybe into winter. Also want to log my food intake again, as this is a huge help generally.

odin
Sgt. Major

Re: Base

Post by odin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:42 pm

09/10 - cardio, steady state

1. mobility routine then meditation

2. bike - 2 hours easy to moderate pace around the country lanes. The British autumn produces some days which almost make up for the British 'summer'. Been awesome for the past few days and this was a couple of hours well spent. As a base level cardio workout goes, I find the bike easier than running to keep my HR down and plod along.

3. stretch, then douse.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:06 am

10/10 - cardio, steady state

1. mobility routine & meditation

2. trail run with breathing technique - 20 mins, just under 3 miles

3. stretch & douse

The running is not much of a run at all. It is a faster continuation of the walking meditation I have practiced in the past, and I definitely want to keep it that way as opposed to start chasing faster times etc. If they come then that's fine as well of course, but I want to try and improve technique above all & focus on calm steady breathing through the nose only. This was done in trainers; I did some nearly barefoot running on the beach on holiday, and it is a great way of ensuring decent form and regulating intensity but it's also a great way of fucking your ankles up doing it on a mixture of concrete and trails round here. I may experiment with it in future, but for now this will do.

I've been re-reading some of the threads on here & mulling over some stuff, and am writing some pointers for my own info on how to structure training;

-structure training over 2 weeks as opposed to 1, so you don't cram too much in and over-train. 3 strength & 3 cardio over 2 weeks would be an ok baseline. If you can add in regular play time on top of this then you're probably good to go.
-an even mix of strength & cardio is probably best for general fitness - always do some stretching afterwards, and some mobility daily.
-don't neglect cardio base - this is what it says it is: the base
-Lifting and carrying strength and strength endurance is important - farmers walks or TBDL's are good.
-Injury prevention is even more important: knees and lower back seem key areas - single leg work and swings are highly useful. Don't sit too much, and choose the floor over the couch when you do.
-Strong core prob comes next - gymnastic stuff is excellent here, and fun too.
-Rarely go all out, and use seasonal variation in training.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:33 pm

11/10 - rest

1. mobility & meditation

2. walk with breathing technique - 1 hour

fast day today. Just broke it and feel a bit spaced out in a nice way.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 pm

odin wrote:

I've been re-reading some of the threads on here & mulling over some stuff, and am writing some pointers for my own info on how to structure training;

-structure training over 2 weeks as opposed to 1, so you don't cram too much in and over-train. 3 strength & 3 cardio over 2 weeks would be an ok baseline. If you can add in regular play time on top of this then you're probably good to go.
-an even mix of strength & cardio is probably best for general fitness - always do some stretching afterwards, and some mobility daily.
-don't neglect cardio base - this is what it says it is: the base
-Lifting and carrying strength and strength endurance is important - farmers walks or TBDL's are good.
-Injury prevention is even more important: knees and lower back seem key areas - single leg work and swings are highly useful. Don't sit too much, and choose the floor over the couch when you do.
-Strong core prob comes next - gymnastic stuff is excellent here, and fun too.
-Rarely go all out, and use seasonal variation in training.
I like your plan. Looks just right for someone going for general life fitness rather than beating themselves to death chasing an elite goal that a 20 year old Olympian would have trouble attaining.

I think that last bolded part is an overlooked key to long term success for general fitness. I go through a natural cycle during the year of running when the weather is cool, riding more when it's hot. Lifting stays pretty consistent with KB and BWE but occasionally do some barbell in the winter. Yoga stays throughout. The amount of time that strength gets in relation to endurance varies with the seasons as well. Prevents burnout and overuse injuries for the most part.

Good luck.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:12 pm

12/10 - circuit

1. mobility & meditation

2. body flow warm up

3. Hang power snatch - warm up, then 50kg x 6 x 3

4. 3 rounds of:
-inverted row on ropes x 10
-Hindu push ups on bars x 10
-powerbag lunges x 10

5. 3 rounds of:
-2 handed casts - 15kg x 10/10
-1 handed swing - 32kg x 10/10
-push up with pike on swiss ball x 10

6. Farmers walk medley with 16, 20, 32 & 40kg KB's

7. stretch - 5 mins

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
odin wrote:

I like your plan. Looks just right for someone going for general life fitness rather than beating themselves to death chasing an elite goal that a 20 year old Olympian would have trouble attaining.

I think that last bolded part is an overlooked key to long term success for general fitness. I go through a natural cycle during the year of running when the weather is cool, riding more when it's hot. Lifting stays pretty consistent with KB and BWE but occasionally do some barbell in the winter. Yoga stays throughout. The amount of time that strength gets in relation to endurance varies with the seasons as well. Prevents burnout and overuse injuries for the most part.

Good luck.
thanks for the comments. I am also thinking planned seasonal variation could be the most important part of everything I wrote there. Funny thing is, although I have thought this for a while, I always struggle with the transition period for some reason and have a period of meandering about a bit. I think for me two conditioning focused periods (autumn and spring) and strength focus in the winter and some outdoor/play emphasis in the summer is probably the way forward. There is of course continuity within this in terms of exercise selection etc...

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:41 am

odin wrote: Mindfulness of breathing or even a walking meditation practice probably ticks all the boxes I am looking for, and may well have more carryover to real life...Philosophically/spiritually speaking, I don't think you need to force yourself through all manner of strange disciplines to get a grip of your mind, or to experience that kind of transcendent connectiveness that most practices have as at least a nice side effect, if not the chief goal.

Alan Watts Jr once wrote that while most Christian and Theosphical mystic practices tend to eat the menu instead of the meal, a lot of followers of yoga practice (and he includes dedicated Hindus in here) are eating the meal but have no idea what it is they are actually eating. It's obvious that you understand the difference. Good man.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:18 am

thanks for the input ABW, glad some of the my thoughts/observations make sense occasionally! Can't remember if I mentioned this, but there's an Alan Watts podcast that I've subscribed to. It updates infrequently but there's some good stuff there presented in quite an entertaining format. Thanks for putting me onto him!

How's the tranquil sitting practice going btw?

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:18 pm

13/10 - cardio

1. mobility & meditation

2. 40 mins on rower

3. stretch & foam roll