Terry's 超級馬拉松ing Log

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Terry's 超級馬拉松ing Log

Post by Protobuilder » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:58 am

7-23-2013

Haven't updated this in a bit, primarily because there isn't that much to update. Following the last ultra, I decided to back off for a few weeks then increase things for summer. I did an easy trail run with the family, a run up what was formerly the tallest building in the world and a 17.5k trail run. Things were fine but not spectacular - the 17.5k actually sucked in that I was in the lead pack ~15/20 out of 1,000 or so until things really got steep and semi-technical when everybody and their cousin blew by me. I realized that I haven't been doing that much technical practice and more than a bit of the weight that I have lost has been lean mass. This certainly needs to be addressed - I finished strong (the last 3k were on the road) but it was over by then.

The summer hasn't actually involved as much as I would have liked - I find that I am fairly lazy if I don't have something on my calendar in the next several weeks (and it's been rather hot). A typhoon postponed a 42k that I had registered for a few weeks ago though it and a few other things are coming up.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:27 am

9-23-2013

In addition to sucking at the aforementioned tower run and trail race, I have sucked at a full and, most recently, a half.

The full was done ~ a month ago and I felt that I was fairly ready for it. However, it was postponed for a few weeks due to a typhoon and I didn't handle the interim period as smoothly as I would have liked. The run was a night run and I went out at a decent pace, feeling rather good. However, around 16k, my stomach went south (as in dry heaves). Physically, I felt fine though felt like I wanted to puke - tried to eat and drink and nothing seemed to work. I went through 21k in 1:50 and figured that things were good enough to finish though it was fairly brutal - it does give me some confidence that 26k of dry heaves was doable though I don't intend to use my newly acquired skill that often in the future.

Yesterday, I ran a half, also in the remnants of a typhoon. My mileage has been fairly high and I haven't done any real fast stuff and that is essentially what things felt like. I was physically fine and could have kept my pace beyond the finish but wasn't able to go that much faster or willing to hurt that much more and finished ~ 7 minutes off a half time from earlier in the year that was just off of my PR.

Things are picking up in the next several weeks through a few poor performances have me doubting my preparedness.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:52 am

Last weekend, I ended up on the far end of the country, lining up for another 12H run. Organizers required specific qualifying standards to show up and it was scheduled from 6PM to 6AM so things were sure to get interesting.

Initial hour was fine. Hour after that was fine. Third hour was not bad but around then my mind started going off. I decided that it was stupid to be running around in circles and that I decided to quit. However, I hadn't done 42k yet and decided that if I stop before that, it would be wasted...and, actually, 50k was even better so I decided to simply hang in there until then and then stop. My legs weren't into it, my stomach was bothering me enough that I couldn't really eat and, like I said, I was on my period. My place dropped so far that I decided to screw it and mix in really, really regular walk breaks (as in basically 2 minutes of running and a minute of walking, though I didn't actually time it). Then, I realized that if I quit, I would need to talk to the organizer, get my things, find my way to the train station, etc, etc, etc and that there was no way to get home that evening and I would be watching everybody else for the rest of the day and that would be even worse - I also noticed that I was gaining around 5 places overall for every hour that I kept at it.

By midnight, things felt fairly fine and by the next day, things felt the way that they should and I had continued to pick up a few place the entire evening - my time was in between my other 12H runs this year, as was my placing and I felt fine with my effort, if not my overall performance.

I realize that I either need to drop down and work on my 42k speed or bump the mileage really high the other direction. Everybody who finishes ahead of me in runs of this nature either can easily coast through a quick 42k or run ~200k per week after week after week. In looking back over the last year, I tend to make huge, glaring mistakes in my preparation that are not acceptable and that is simply a mental issue from not really thinking things through.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:19 am

Sort of sore from the run so didn't run another ultra til...this weekend.

53k through the mountains - realized that I need to actually do some running in the mountains to prepare for things like this but it's all in good fun. Closed the last 12k nearly as quickly as ran the back half of a half a few weeks back and felt good. I had signed up for a fun run the next day to run with my son but he didn't want to get out of bed so I decided to run it myself - 5th in a 5k, beaten by three guys who are 20 years younger than me and another guy who is simply a faster runner and probably would have beaten me if I hadn't raced 160k in the past 6 days. I realize that I need to do more speedwork as it felt good and, ironically, my legs feel better following the 5k then they did the morning before the ultra.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:08 am

Did another 50k last weekend. Fairly decent - no real problems and ran around what I wanted. I have a 100k next weekend so this was primarily to see what things felt like.

However, the following day, I came down with tonsillitis. It is self-diagnosed though I have had it before though not in several years. Actually, I haven't even been sick for a day for around the same period of time and this knocked me on my ass. I probably should have headed to the doctor but, you know. In any event, I have felt like crap and have barely run. I also haven't eaten that much this week, leaving me feel weaker than I actually am.

Now, I am questioning if I should line up for the 100k. The last month of work has been incredibly busy and I haven't run as much as I would have liked but I was fairly prepared for it a week ago. I should be recovered from this in another but am unsure what it will be like following a few weeks where everything fell apart. Part of me wants to see what happens but the other part is telling me to bag it and prepare for things in the future.

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Good luck if you run. Hope you feel better

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:56 am

Ericc wrote:Good luck if you run. Hope you feel better
Thanks - didn't eat much last week and don't feel that fantastic but am recovering. I am sort of in a foul mood and not running probably would hurt more than anything the course could toss at me.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:36 am

Haven't kept a log here but, from the last 50k, I ran ~ 25k and was sick for the first time in recent history. I thought of not heading to the ultra but figured that dropping was the worst that could happen and I needed the run anyway.

Left home at 3am and arrived at the run site a few hours later. Though not technically freezing, it was fairly cold for here and I was glad to get things rolling. My strategy was to take as much cold medicine as needed to get through the day and see what happened through 40k or so, possibly bailing out and finishing when the 50k people came in. Things loosened up and were fine through 60k when I decided that I had had enough for the day and milled around the turnaround point until an organizer asked me what I was doing and essentially told me to get back out there and simply run slowly. Slow is what I did for the rest of the day, finishing in the dark as things were winding down. Something like 40% of the field had dropped or did not finish and I was glad to finish.