Terry's 超級馬拉松ing Log

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Terry's 超級馬拉松ing Log

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:51 am

Friday, January 11, 2013

AM Run: 1.7k

PM Run: 4.15k
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:52 am

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Fun run for my birthday - 38k. Cold and wet - needed to leave early as I had a meeting around 8am. Felt like things drug along - stopped for the meeting around 22k then continued. Felt good to get in the bag as I haven't done enough longer runs recently. Over 100k from last Sunday.
Last edited by Protobuilder on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:01 am

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Volunteer in a trial run for an upcoming competition my running club puts on. I did a bit of running, in addition to helping man a water station.

Hills: 6k
- ran to the water station in the morning via a fairly hard uphill - my wife ran with me but she was overly dressed and in sandals and I needed to drop her to be certain that I arrived in time. She would pay me back later in the day.

Progression: 6k
- when participants had passed, I went up around 3k, bumped into leaders and turned around. Return portion was keeping with guys who were in top 10 so picked things up.

Tempo: 6k
- when finished, my wife and I returned via the same route we came up on. She is one of the better trail and mountain runners in the country and I really need to improve my downhill and she dropped me rather quickly. I would catch up on the flats, pass her on the uphill and then get dropped again. In the latter portions, both of us simply hung in at a half pace (for me) - fun run to finish a 100k training week.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:01 am

Terry B. wrote:Saturday, January 12, 2013

Fun run for my birthday - 38k. Cold and wet - needed to leave early as I had a meeting around 8am. Felt like things drug along - stopped for the meeting around 22k then continued. Felt good to get in the bag as I haven't done enough longer runs recently. Over 100k from last Sunday.

Happy Birfday, Ole Chap
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:21 am

Yep. Don't know how I missed it.

Happy belated birthday

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:39 am

You probably missed it because I don't publicize it.

I do appreciate the comments though.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:35 am

Monday, January 14, 2013

AM Bike: 7.8k
Pushups: 2x45

PM Bike: 10k

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:37 am

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Easy run: 7.8k
- intended to do a bit of a recovery run but my lower legs were killing me - finally loosened up and turned into an easy run. ran last Sunday session in new VFFs and involved a lot more hills than I have been doing; likely the combination was what I felt.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:42 am

Happy Birthday Terrance.

I left a couple things in the Jackie Chan thread for you.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks. She's just what I wanted.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Tempo Run: 7.5k

Easy Run: 7.5k
- gps went insane - had me knocking out things three times as quick as I was actually going. Glancing at the map, it had me swerving all over the place. Either a problem with satellites or I was drunk and didn't really know it.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Fatlek: 7.7k

Friday, January 18, 2013

AM Bike: 7.6k
PM Bike: 7.5k

Saturday, January 19, 2013
- lazy - didn't get anything done for combination of reasons

Sunday, January 20, 2013
Longish run: 21k
- didn't get out in the morning but my wife had an end-of-year party for work so my idea was to go, eat the 12 or whatever course dinner, try all the wine then run home. It was a nice day though the initial 9k didn't feel that good - I would have considered throwing up but things appeared to be leaving my other end in the form of various gases. Then I got lost. Then, finally, things were better. Have been wearing my newest VFFs and like them for running though anything of more than a few hours is probably a bit much for them.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:18 am

Monday, January 21, 2013

AM Bike: 7.3k

PM Bike: 7.5k

- woke up late and needed to use bike to get into the office. fantastic weather recently and easy to get out the door.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:46 am

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

AM Moderate Progression Run: 7.5k

PM Easy Run: 8.1k

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:47 am

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

PM Easy Run: 8k
- needed to stay late for work party/dinner - not easy following these kinds of things

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Not going to update everything. January was good and bad - hit a few good weeks though the following weeks tended to drop off. All in all, the most that I have run in a month.

I broke my hand last Thursday evening - probably will impact my Internet posting far more than my running though the doctor, when splinting it Friday, informed me that "vigorous" exercise should be limited for the next several weeks. I left the hospital and picked up a pack for an ultra that I ran the next day - 89k and age group win. Not feeling that bad following day.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:39 pm

You broke your hand? And now you won't be on the internet because of..... ?

Nice run, btw.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Terry B. wrote:Sunday, February 17, 2013

Not going to update everything. January was good and bad - hit a few good weeks though the following weeks tended to drop off. All in all, the most that I have run in a month.

I broke my hand last Thursday evening - probably will impact my Internet posting far more than my running though the doctor, when splinting it Friday, informed me that "vigorous" exercise should be limited for the next several weeks. I left the hospital and picked up a pack for an ultra that I ran the next day - 89k and age group win. Not feeling that bad following day.

Oy!

Nice works...
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:13 am

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, the fifth metacarpal is broken - nearly impossible to use my computer at home if I don't take the split off but the office computer is good. Being dumb with the hand though it appears to be healing fine - have a follow-up in a few days. It is preventing me from lifting, which I hadn't been doing that much of, and cycling, which sort of sucks.

I didn't do that much last week - under 50k an things fairly easy til Sunday. I usually cycle following longer efforts but that is out so my recovery probably took a few days longer than it should have. I probably could do my fixed gear but doesn't seem worth it. Plan to bump things up for next several weeks as things feel fine.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:37 am

Tuesday, March 19, 2012

The hand is healing fine. I went to the doctor a few weeks ago and he said that it was 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule and that I could remove the splint when inside which I interpretted it as meaning it could stay off forever. I am fairly painfree in it though avoid hitting it for obvious reasons. I do realize how weak my grip got and have been doing some low intensity rehab to get it back up to par.

I have cleaned up my diet and lost a few kilos which feels good. Actual training has been nearly entirely running as cycling and lifting have been fairly out of the question. I entered a half last weekend and planned to take things fairly low key as I haven't been doing that much speed work. It had a ton of people and it took me over two minutes to simply reach the starting line which wasn't that bad until I saw they didn't use net time so around 19 people "beat" me with slower times. My time was about two minutes off what I wanted but it felt fairly easy enough throughout the entire event.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:54 am

Nice job. Glad the hand's healing quickly.

That first time back in your bike will probably be fun with a weak grip in the healing hand.
- Benjamin Franklin

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:17 am

baffled wrote:That first time back in your bike will probably be fun with a weak grip in the healing hand.
I actually rode this morning - easy ride and used my fixie which, obviously, doesn't require using gears. The only concern was that somebody would do something stupid and I would need to grip the handlebars to respond even that doesn't seem to hurt it - I should have clearance to resume activity next week though the doctor said that if it doesn't hurt, I am not doing any damage.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:23 am

Terry B. wrote:
baffled wrote:That first time back in your bike will probably be fun with a weak grip in the healing hand.
I actually rode this morning - easy ride and used my fixie which, obviously, doesn't require using gears. The only concern was that somebody would do something stupid and I would need to grip the handlebars to respond even that doesn't seem to hurt it - I should have clearance to resume activity next week though the doctor said that if it doesn't hurt, I am not doing any damage.
So you've been "grip training" on your own?
- Benjamin Franklin

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:41 am

baffled wrote:
Terry B. wrote:
So you've been "grip training" on your own?
What part of the fifth amendment do you not understand?

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 am

Monday, March 25, 2013

Hand is feeling good enough to resume things on the bike - went out a few days last week and though it caused a bit of stiffness, nothing bad. I should have doctor's clearance that things are fine this week.

Did another 12H yesterday - rather large field as this was the only distance on the menu. Reports called for high temperatures and then rain so I wanted to be sure and bag a decent number of km in the morning though things didn't really feel comfortable til around 44k or so. My 50k split was about 7km farther than it was last month. I had highs and lows for rest of the day but kept it together for a 12H PR by around 7km - official measurements come in this week. Feel more or less fine and beat up a bit less than anticipated.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:49 am

Monday, April 15, 2013

Did another ultra yesterday - though it was scheduled for 54k on a course that, honestly, scared me, they had a landslide that wiped out part of the road and needed to alter it to 50k instead. However, the weather that had caused the landslide and the rain didn't stop the entire day. Part of it involved thunder, lightning, torrential rain and ankle-deep water and pretty much no visibility due to intense fog. However, the new course was an out and back that was repeated twice and I was on pace for a sub 5 hour finish, which would have been a good effort for the day, until around 35k into the run when I realized that it likely wasn't going to happen. I haven't done that much in the mountains in the past several months and things went better than they could have, honestly, and I am pleased to simply get through it in some ways.

On the other hand, the weather is perfect this morning.