Terry's 超級馬拉松ing Log

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Terry's 超級馬拉松ing Log

Post by Protobuilder » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:00 am

Monday, October 8, 2012

General drills
AM Bike: 7.5k
General drills

PM Bike: 7.5k
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:00 am

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:05 am

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

National Championship 50k series
- This was rather difficult. Performed on a track and run against most of the top ultrarunners in the country, I established a conversative pace and mostly stayed with it the entire day. The initial 25k or so were fairly easy - from 25-30k had my typical low spot and ran things perhaps 5k to 5k from there on out. Sore when finished though pleased to be done. A few k from the finish I promised myself that I wouldn't do this again though that probably won't be the situation. Need to reassess if I want to run shorter distances, where I am comparatively more successful, or keep banging out the longer runs. In either situation, my training probably needs to be more systematic and thought through. Ran good portions with my running club, all of which finished under time limit (30% of field dropped or didn't hit the cut off).

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:42 am

To quote Ed Zachary:

"Respect."
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:46 am

Great job Terry!

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:11 am

I appreciate it guys though, in reflection, I am not really that pleased. I probably should be - I really started running seriously this year and did a time that was precisely on my target. I like running ultras and have run four this year. Each has been challenging and rewarding. However, I have been rather slow, by comparison with other runners, in all of them. Comparing is hard to do - the ultra runners are a far more serious crowd and there is nobody that runs them that isn't a fairly good runner. The competition a few days ago had a few guys who I would consider elite. However, it doesn't matter if you finish in the bottom third to a quarter of all finishers.

The half, by comparison, I have done fairly little direct training for though have finished in the top 10% of two of the three that I have done this year and barely outside that number for the third. Should this be enough to let me receive some sort of message?

Previously, I believed that I had good speed and needed to improve my endurance. This probably was true a few months ago. However, in analyzing results with other runners, I feel that I need to gain some speed. For instance, a runner that beat me by 3 minutes in a 21k a few weeks ago was 30 minutes ahead of me at that mark yesterday, 40 minutes ahead of me at the 42k and finished around 42 minutes up on me. That means, that although I feel that I am struggling in the latter stages, nearly everybody is doing so as well and, in the end of the day, I need to be quicker.

I have a few options I am weighing:

1). Contunue to bang away at ultras. I feel that I will improve so naturally will move up a bit in the standings each run and eventually things will be where I want them to be. My running club has a ton of guys who have done 100-200 42k+ and it is fairly acceptable to run every week or so - I run mostly for enjoyment and the challenge of doing this does intrigue me. I may do a 42k with an insane guy from Singapore who has done 200+ of the events and has a good time doing so - I admire his approach in many ways as it is nearly the opposite of my mindset.

2). Drop down to 21ks, perhaps even a few 5 and 10ks - work on speed, get my time respectable and do regular long runs. Do this then step up to the 42k and do the same thing. Eventually, target an ultra and see what happens.

In the end, the result probably will be the same.

I do believe that I need to figure out a more structured approach to my training and probably reincorporate some kind of strength work.

Several things are already scheduled in the next several months so I probably want to decide by mid-December.

Enough self-reflection for now.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 am

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:To quote Ed Zachary:

"Respect."
Yep

Good luck on the training plan. Going from competing for fun and trying to be competiive is bowlsheet. I'm working on getting my plan layed out and I fucking hate it. But if I'm going to reach my potential as a thrower I have to get serious.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:26 am

Ed Zachary wrote:
Abandoned by Wolves wrote:To quote Ed Zachary:

"Respect."
Yep

Good luck on the training plan. Going from competing for fun and trying to be competiive is bowlsheet. I'm working on getting my plan layed out and I fucking hate it. But if I'm going to reach my potential as a thrower I have to get serious.
Thanks, Ed. Yeah, currently I would say that I am in the back of the very serious people at near the front of the more casual folks. It's obvious what the difference is.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:30 am

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Friday, October 12, 2012

AM Bike: 7.7k
PM Bike: 7.7k

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Bike: 4k
Easy run: 5.3k
Bike: 5k
- bit of fasciitis in left foot - loosened up after a few k

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:35 am

Saturday, October 14, 2012

Race: 21k

- had no idea how I would recover for this but felt fine in morning though my left foot was a bit stiff. My plan was to go out conservatively for 2-3k then pick things up if I felt good enough. However, the field went out really, really fast leaving me probably in 300th place after a few km and then we ran into the marathon. Thus, the entire run through the turnaround was spent picking people off. I reached the turnaround feeling rather good though my pace dropped off in the last 7km. Finished decently and managed a PR, over a minute better than I ran a few weeks ago.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:04 am

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Haven't updated this in a few months and do not intend to report any data.

Following the October ultra, I found myself thinking of the upcoming year - having a successful 21k less than a week later made me conclude that perhaps I would drop down to emphasize this distance over the next 12-18 months and get my speed up to par. However, two weeks later, I ran another 21k and things sort of fell apart. My hip flexors were sore, I felt beat up a bit and ended up walking 6k into it (although it was on a rather tough, mountainous course). I wasn't into it and though I sucked it up and got things together in the last 8k, I was beaten by a ton of people who shouldn't have been near me - and my worst performance of the year. I didn't have that long to contemplate the performance as I did a marathon relay with seven others later that day - decent performance on the track and, if I remember correctly, 5th our of the clubs in a rather large area.

The next few weeks I didn't even upload my performance from my GPS to my computer - I probably will in a few weeks but I wasn't running that much and was spending more time on my bike, trying to get things feeling good again. Two weeks later, I did a fun run with my son (while my wife won the longer event) that returned a bit of a spark and a week later I did another team relay, covering the longest and hardest leg. However, in the initial kilometer, my soleus cramped so badly that I believed that I had torn something. If I hadn't been in a team event, I would have been done though I finished and limped around for most of the next week.

The next few weeks had constant rain and I only went out over 20k on two occasions. I did a bit more speed work though nothing really organized before another ultra last week. I felt sick the day before, hadn't trained enough and the weather conditions were atrocious on a moderately difficult though nontechnical. When the gun went off, my mind wasn't in it though I decided that things were fucked up enough that I didn't mind hurting. The initial lap was fast - 20 minutes ahead of pace. The next lap was the same speed. By the third lap, I realized that I was not only going to finish but was running with people who usually beat me in ultras. The forth and fifth lap slowed a bit though I finished fine to actually have a PR - over four minutes faster than I had done the same distance in ideal conditions on a nice track eight weeks ago - that makes no sense to me. Everybody else that I run with had lost 45-60 minutes from the last event. Did I learn that hurting is fine, had the rest been good for me or am I simply stronger than most of the runners in such conditions - no real idea.

I plan to finish this year with a few low-key events though haven't decided what is next. My base probably isn't what it should be. I am fairly competitive, or could be, in 21k events. Part of me simply wants to run every week or so and see new courses and have fun - the other more obsessive part of me worries about performance and results and thinks that more structured programs would be a better idea.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:42 pm

If you don't get paid to do it then obsessing over it until it isn't fun and you are beat up just leads to disappointment, in my experience at least. Focus on results but have fun with it.

As to the PR, congrats. Could be that your body had recovered from the beating you gave it and you were just plain stronger than you were before. Then again there is something to be said for having the mind set that sometimes you just have to take an ass whooping. Good job either way. Stay healthy man.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:38 am

How structured is your training? Do you have designated days/sessions for speed, recovery, rehab, strength, etc? Or do you train by feel/do what you do?

I ask because you are what I would consider an elite level non professional runner and if you don't have structured days that address over training, weaknesses, or imbalance then you are in for bad times.

Are you on Facebook? If so look up CJ Ong. He's an ultra guy and a body worker he may be able to understand your problem better than I ever could and help you in your mental, physical, and emotional recovery. If you are not on Facebook I can try to find a website or email.

Learning to accept the pain is good until you break. I can't accept the pain as well as I used to hence my piss poor showing in strongman. But put me on a trail and I will break myself and love every minute of it.

Good luck.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Dunn wrote:If you don't get paid to do it then obsessing over it until it isn't fun and you are beat up just leads to disappointment, in my experience at least. Focus on results but have fun with it.

As to the PR, congrats. Could be that your body had recovered from the beating you gave it and you were just plain stronger than you were before. Then again there is something to be said for having the mind set that sometimes you just have to take an ass whooping. Good job either way. Stay healthy man.
That is good advice - read it when you posted it and have thought of it over the past several weeks. Nobody pays my entrance fees and I may as well do things that are fun.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:20 pm

Ed Zachary wrote:How structured is your training? Do you have designated days/sessions for speed, recovery, rehab, strength, etc? Or do you train by feel/do what you do?

I ask because you are what I would consider an elite level non professional runner and if you don't have structured days that address over training, weaknesses, or imbalance then you are in for bad times.

Are you on Facebook? If so look up CJ Ong. He's an ultra guy and a body worker he may be able to understand your problem better than I ever could and help you in your mental, physical, and emotional recovery. If you are not on Facebook I can try to find a website or email.

Learning to accept the pain is good until you break. I can't accept the pain as well as I used to hence my piss poor showing in strongman. But put me on a trail and I will break myself and love every minute of it.

Good luck.
Not really that structured.

I actually ran track through college - didn't do anything that was longer than 200m and didn't do a lot particularly well when at that level but did spend a good portion of my life in highly structured programs, even if I wasn't the person that was designing them. From university to current, I lifted - cycles thought out far in advance - but didn't really run that much seriously until the past year. My primary emphasis has been in getting enough miles in to have a semblance of a base for the longer kind of stuff. That probably has taken me as far as I am able to go with it though.

My problem when I have read into structured programs is that life frequently gets in the way and things slip here and there. Thus, I am looking to structure things in a far more flexible manner, if that makes any sense - restarting my log here would be a nice place to start things.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Have done a pair of runs for fun since my last update here. My wife entered a mountain run (ended up 5th or 6th woman, second age group) and thus, my son and I decided to do the 5k version. It was raining for a good portion of the day and freezing for the entirety but we made it through, probably in the top 30 or so. It is interesting that we need to yell at him to put his backpack up each evening but when he told me that his "heart hurt" with 2k to go and I offered the options of finishing quickly or finishing slowly, he pressed on and did fine.

A week later, I did a track 5k - my wife was in a series of runs and thought it would be fun if we did it together. When I researched what it was....a few hours before the run, I found out that it was primarily for collegiate athletes and I was prepared to have a fairly poor showing. I arrived 15 minutes before it started through things went well - ended up outside of the top 20 but ran around as quickly as I could in this period. A side note is that I did it with the nastiest ingrown toenail I have ever had though it didn't really hurt until I finished.

Did an easy 15k a few days ago and three times that far on the bike yesterday. This morning, decided to do some hills as future runs have a lot of them.

Easy run: 3.3k
Bike onramp: 1 x 10 (recovery walk down)
Easy run: 5.5k
(SeeYa LS)

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:06 pm

Hit up Blaidd Drwg as well. He is meatheaded twat but he has his shit together when it comes to endurance training.

I sent you a pm with the info I have. Hit me up if you need anything else.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Terry B. wrote: did spend a good portion of my life in highly structured programs

prison
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Slanderous motherfuckers up in here.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Slanderous motherfuckers up in here.
LOL

It's love.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:45 am

/homoflirting

I hate the initial week of the year - rode around 100k but did 37.5k running. Resume the week following that.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Long Run: 26k

Easy bike: 17k

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:46 am

Monday, January 7, 2013

PM Bike: 10k

- felt like crap in evening and return ride took forever - decided to take following day off from work

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:47 am

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Whatever I had knocked me back for a bit - slept for most of the day and didn't feel like eating that much. Did get up in the latter portion of the day, showered, dressed and tried to run a bit. Did 14.2k, primarily in the park near my home - felt better.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:49 am

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

AM Run: 7.7k

PM Run: 7.9k

- both runs felt fine - easy though HR did rise a bit in latter parts of the evening session

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:50 am

Thursday, January 10, 2013

AM Run Commute: 8k

- planned to run in evening but was on receiving end of a fairly epic practical joke that left me pondering revenge - by the time things finished, it was simply time to return home