Odin's beard and a rugged lifestyle

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Re: Odin's beard, armour building and warmongering

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Sunday 21/10/12

Open mat BJJ worked with a purple and a white belt who is in the cusp of the blue belt. Rolled for an hour and half rotating between us for 10-15 min rounds, the pace on a Sunday is chill and a good time to work on my many weak areas.

Evening I completed 30 mins ashtanga short forms.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:36 pm

Monday 22/10/12

KBM - week 3

Medium Day:

Dbl High pull x5
Dbl Snatch x5
Dbl Military press x5
Front Squat x5

6 times through the above complex, 120 secs rest, the rest periods reduce as of next week

Additional fluff;

4 x 3 chins
2 x 15 rows on the jungle gym
2 x 5 rollout
2 x 15/15 side bends
Front and back bridge x 90 secs each

Use this more as a cool down, its light and easy and I kind of use it as assistance work.

BJJ tonight.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Tuesday 23/10/12

Yoga and mobility for 25 mins - pushed for time today.

BJJ. Leo Vieira seminar day 1:

Everyone knows that Leo's top and passing game is good, well today we covered some of his concepts for this, basically it revolves around making the person so uncomfortable he either gives you the position or submission, he says Jiu Jitsu is for lazy people lol. when attacking the neck, don't be nice jam your hand in there and squeeze, basically what Damien Maia did in his last fight. the pressure he gives from the mount is unreal, its all you can do to breath, we covered mount and side control using underhooks to create the pressure and then passed the half guard using something similar. he says passing guard is alot like finishing the double leg.

Can't wait for day 2 tomorrow, which is going to based around the bottom game.

The stuff he does is so simple and non-flashy its almost silly, its damn effective though.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:16 pm

zak-zombie wrote:Tuesday 23/10/12

... the pressure he gives from the mount is unreal, its all you can do to breath, we covered mount and side control using underhooks to create the pressure
Does he grapevine the legs from Mount?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:41 pm

johno wrote:
zak-zombie wrote:Tuesday 23/10/12

... the pressure he gives from the mount is unreal, its all you can do to breath, we covered mount and side control using underhooks to create the pressure
Does he grapevine the legs from Mount?
No, he keeps his knees close and feet tucked under the butt, and underhooking the arms, climbing the knees up to a high mount gaining a gift wrap position, basically he talks about maintaining control, until he decides to move then inch up into better control - old school/classic BJJ.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks, Zak. Good stuff.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:40 pm

johno wrote:Thanks, Zak. Good stuff.
No problem, I suck at explaining there is more to it than that, its one of those see/feel things.

Wednesday 24/10/12

KBM week 3

Light day

Dbl Swing x 5
Dbl Snatch x 5
See saw press x 5/5

6 times through the above with 90 secs rest between each complex

Fluff:

Chins 6 x 3

Day 2 of the Leo Seminar tonight, will update with some more terrible written up descriptions.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:48 am

Wednesday 24/10/12

Leo Vieira seminar day 2:

Covered passing the guard, again no flashy jumpy stuff just solid weight and pressure waiting for the correct timing for the pass, using double leg control when possible. Three positions to use when passing, used in conjunction, with persistance and pressure will succeed, opening the elbows to control the opponent - it really was some excellent stuff! He also talked about why he became a top player/guard passer, he says that he looked at everyone who played guard and noticed that had blown knees and backs, he was a purple belt at the time and noticed his knees where already sore - so this was the time when he decided to change his game and become the Leo we know off today!

There was a whole bunch of promotions handed out, non for me that's the last chance for me this year! So another goal failed lol. Really don't know what I need to do to seal the deal other than keep showing up, but when you consider I teach the kids class and clean the mats I'm already on the mat 7 days a week. :?:::;

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:55 am

Sorry to hear that, zak. Just keep doing what you do. It'll happen.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks Mickey!

Thursday 25/10/12

BJJ, was asked to take the class on short notice, i.e. whilst I was getting changed, not ideal preparation! So I went through the overhook series from closed guard lapel choke, armbar, omoplata, shoulder lock and triangle. Basic stuff, but its solid enough for a short notice class.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Friday 26/10/12

KBM week 3

Heavy day

Dbl clean x 5
Dbl press x 5
Front squat x 5
Dbl push press x 5
Front squat x 5

Done the above 5 times, with 120 secs rest. I was tired today and this sucked balls, trained jiu jitsu everyday this week 6 days in a row - probably explains it.

Fluff:

2 x 8 chins - nice and high chest well over the bar on each rep
1x 30 rows on jungle gym, squeeze at top for 2 secs
1x 15/15 side bends using 2 x20 kg bells
2 mins neck bridge front and back
Pistol practice x some

BJJ, covered some of the stuff we did in the Leo seminar, honestly the stuff we covered still amazes me, its so simple its stupid - a game changer for me for sure, Ricardo's game couldn't be anymore different and I like that too, but Leo's seems like a path to training till your 100.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:11 am

Sunday 28/10/12

KBM week 4

Medium day

Dbl high pull x 5
Dbl snatch x 5
Dbl military press x 5
Front squat x 5

x 5 the above with 90 secs rest, down from 120 rest, not going to have much time Mon/Tue work is going to be crazy so have to do this now, wont be doing any BJJ either, that's how busy I'm going to be #-o

Fluff:

Chins 3 x 6
Rollout 4 x 5
Jungle gym row x 20
Neck bridge 2 mins

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:29 pm

Wednesday 31/10/12

KBM week 4

Light day:

Dbl swing x 5
Dbl snatch x 5
See saw press x 5/5

5 times through the above with 75' rest between each complex

fluff:

Chins 5 x 4
Roll out 4 x 5
Jungle gym row x 30
neck bridge front and back 3 mins total

Back to BJJ tomorrow, I never realised till the past few days that there is not many problems that are not solved by a solid juji gatame.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:13 am

Thursday 01/11/12

BJJ, worked on some side control escapes that Leo taught to my coach who went to another 3 day camp following our last seminars with him. Again it's awesome and extremely solid stuff, basics refined to a high degree.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Friday 02/11/12

BJJ, class was all sparring, from time to time the coach in his wisdom deems it necessary for us to roll for the whole class, so after warmups we did 10 minute rounds 9 rounds in total as there was an odd number so someone had to rest. I loved the class even though it was hard graft, an effort in endurance, resolve, technique and energy conservation and also timing, one timing for every move.

KBM

week 4 heavy day:

This was hard after the mornings training, but I peresvered as I'm enjoying the program - its idiot proof.

Dbl clean x 5
Dbl Military press x 5
Front squat x 5
Dbl push press x 5
Front squat x 5

4 times through the above, with 90' rest between each complex

Fluff:

Chins 4 x 3
Row 2 x 15
Side bends 2 x 15
front and back bridge 3 mins total

Messed about with some prasara yoga for 20 mins to cool down.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Saturday 03/11/12

Joint mobility then yoga for 45 mins.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Sunday 04/11/12

BJJ open mat, rolled with a newly promoted purple belt for an hour, was good fun I hit a couple of nice passes and sweeps especially the omoplata I really need to work this more because it works well for me - otherwise it was an even and fun roll.

Did some prasara yoga and mobility in the evening.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Monday 05/11/12

KBM week 5

Medium Day:

Dbl high pull x 5
Dbl snatch x 5
Dbl military press x 5
Front squat x 5

5 times through the above, with 90 secs rest between each complex.

Fluff:

Chins 4 x 3
Roll outs 4 x 5
Jungle gym rows 2 x 20
Side bends x 20/20
Neck bridge 3 mins total front and back

Some band stretching to finish.

BJJ, mount and side control escapes from the Leo seminars its good stuff. We then covered some gracie basics headlock escapes again excellent stuff, some sparring to finish.

I'm enjoying the KBM program its short and to the point, leaves some energy for jiu jitsu and I'm seeing the benefits physically too.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Zak, nice to see you training consistently, both weights and BJJ. I never got my purple belt, but I saw a lot of TOP notch guys get promoted slowly, so don't give up, a lot of the guys I was a blue with are browns now, but I get to surf so it's an okay trade-off.

Stay healthy!
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks Bram, I'm normally a perfectly rational person but this jiu jitsu thing gets under your skin haha. I'm enjoying using the bells in structured routine, i'm feeling the benefits as well. Also I'm very jealous of your near daily surfing! It's something I'd love to try someday.

Thanks for reading!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Haha, I know what you mean, it's because you care about it I'm sure.

If you ever come to San Diego, send me a message and I'll take you out in the water (kids too if you bring them).
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:41 pm

That's awesome that you are training with Leozinho, he's the king. Also, do not be discouraged; for perspective, I was a blue belt for 8 years 1999-2006.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Bram wrote:Haha, I know what you mean, it's because you care about it I'm sure.

If you ever come to San Diego, send me a message and I'll take you out in the water (kids too if you bring them).
Thanks Bram, you never know someday I may make it to the US and take you up on that offer.
Fat Cat wrote:That's awesome that you are training with Leozinho, he's the king. Also, do not be discouraged; for perspective, I was a blue belt for 8 years 1999-2006.
Thanks Fat Cat, I really am lucky getting the chance to train with Leo, Ricardo etc, I really like Ricardo's style but Leo's makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks for perspective, It's a good reminder to have faith in my coach and team as well as a test of character, that's one of the things I like about jiu jitsu, there's no hiding on the mat.

KBM week 5

light Day:

Dbl swing x 5
Dbl snatch x 5
See saw press x 5/5

x 6 through the above complex with 75 mins rest between each

BJJ: the main professor is away so the class was taken by a brown belt, we covered the darce today, which is not my thing but its cool to do stuff that doesn't fit well with my t-rex arms. Sparring was good until some roided out white belt tried to kill me, in response I swept and knee rode him into submission several times - not nice or responsible but I felt it was justified at the time.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:35 pm

Thursday 08/11/12

BJJ, Another brown belt took the class tonight, we covered some nice basic open guard sweeps sickle sweep etc, only rolled once tonight as my back was feeling very iffy and I didnt want to push it.

Friday 09/11/12

BJJ, Another class lead by a brown belt, covered some closed guard sweeps and one guard pass, rolled 5 rounds - another day in the office.

KBM week 5

Heavy Day

Dbl clean x 5
Dbl military press x 5
Front squat x 5
Dbl push press x 5
Front squat x 5

5 times through the above with 90' rest between each complex, once again left shoulder fatiguing in the rack

Fluff,

Chins 3 x 6
Rows 2 x 20
Kurls 2 x 10/10
Neck bridging

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Sunday 11/11/12

Sunday club BJJ, rolled for an hour non-stop with a good blue belt. Keeping it playful with Sunday training so I am getting dominated which is sometimes psychologically hard as I'm being either submitted are put in difficult positions. I firmly believe this is the way forward to improve my BJJ, its also fun and I'm getting the feeling of good timing for escapes and sweeps because the pace is slower overall rather than the quicker pace of full rolling it's easier to detect the subtle shift in balance.

One other day in the week I have been rolling much, much faster like Marcelo says to in his video in the training forum - its hard work.

I am definitely taking charge of my own improvement in BJJ, there is a lot to be said for just turning up and training, but I feel like that may only get you so far, I have to look at how jiu jitsu works for me and be honest with my weaknesses and separate my ego from the matter. I may be wrong and I'm definitely not going to micro analyse things, but be more mindful when I'm training.

Wow, that probably sounds ghey.