Odin's beard and a rugged lifestyle

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Re: Odin's beard, armour building and warmongering

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Monday 12/11/12

KBM week 6

3 rounds of flowfit to warm up

Medium day

Dbl high pull x 5
Dbl snatch x 5
Dbl military press x 5
Front squat x 5

x 7 of the above with 90' rest between each complex, sucked today was tired from a bad nights sleep elbows felt a little off today too.

BJJ, worked on some headlock escapes, followed by some butterfly guard sweep to armbar, lots of rolling at the end, hurt two peoples arms today in rolling, either its my lack of control or their stubbornness at least one of them was put on very quick but it was one of those quick response armbars when the grab your head. Still felt bad, don't like to hurt people which is ironic.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Tuesday 13/11/12

30 mins mobility and yoga, lazy day today.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Wednesday 14/11/12

KBM week 6

Light day:

Dbl swing x 5
Dbl snatch x 5
See saw press x 5/5

x 7 of the above, 75' between each complex

BJJ tonight, some good news already regarding Leo coming back in January for a few days.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Wednesday 14/11/12

cont:

BJJ worked on some fancy back taking shit from reverse dela riva guard, two options given depending on their reaction. specific training was guard passing or sweep and submit, it wasn't my day today, beaten from pillar to post. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail - today I was the nail.

Chessers breathing exercises to chill when I got home.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Wednesday 14/11/12

cont:

BJJ worked on some fancy back taking shit from reverse dela riva guard, two options given depending on their reaction. specific training was guard passing or sweep and submit, it wasn't my day today, beaten from pillar to post. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail - today I was the nail.

Chessers breathing exercises to chill when I got home.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Do you find you need to systemically calm down after jiu-jitsu? I get so amped up I often can't sleep for hours. Do you find Chesser's breathing method helps you? I usually do some type of light warm up and then stretch to relax before bed; otherwise I will lay there for an hour or more sometimes. But I'm always looking for an easier way...thoughts?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Catch up time:

Thursday 15/11/12

BJJ, worked on some butterfly guard sweeps and an armbar from a defended sweep, lots of rolling at the end - got rolled up by one guy but held my own elsewhere, it doesn't get any easier ha ha.

Friday 16/11/12

One hour walk, no chance to train jiu jitsu today, at least I got a chance to get out for an hour though.

Saturday 17/11/12

Dbl clean x 5
Dbl military press x 5
Front squat x 5
Dbl push press x 5
Front Squat x 5

x 6 of the above, finished the first 6 weeks of kettlebell muscle now, there is another 6 weeks to go but there is always an option to move on and do something else, not sure what to do yet.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Do you find you need to systemically calm down after jiu-jitsu? I get so amped up I often can't sleep for hours. Do you find Chesser's breathing method helps you? I usually do some type of light warm up and then stretch to relax before bed; otherwise I will lay there for an hour or more sometimes. But I'm always looking for an easier way...thoughts?

Yeah I do have to try and calm down otherwise like you I'm too amped to sleep for hours, for a long time I used to do a little yoga but now I find it more relaxing to have a warm bath to relax the muscles, Then I do the three stretches from convict conditioning 2 takes about 2 mins to do those and I usually feel wringed out in a good way after that. I do find cheeser's breathing method helpful, I actually was surprised to find how difficult it was to do 20 sec breath when I first started, guess it shows the tension carried from the day/jiu jitsu.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Monday 19/11/12

KBM week 7

The next 6 weeks of this program involve complexes and chains

Medium day:

Dbl high pull x 5
Dbl clean + Dbl military press x 5
Dbl Snatch x 5
Front squat x 5

x 3 of the above with 120' rest between each round.

BJJ tonight

Restarted my beard today too, not that you need to know that.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Tuesday 21/11/12

Quick joint mobility and yoga session in the morning, followed by a walk in the afternoon.

New addition to our family today a rescued dog, 3 year old patterdale terrier.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:37 pm

Not much training done, the rest of this week between my wedding anniversary and work stress, its been a tad busy. Might ditch KBM, the 6 week mark is a natural breakaway point, feeling the need for some variety and I'm not sure if BJJ + a structured training regime go together, or if I'm being lazy. The professor and 11 others have gone to Rio to train with Ricardo for 2.5 weeks gutted I couldn't go, one day I will.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Monday 26/11/12

BJJ, Taught a class on basic side control, transitions to mount, how to pin correctly and set up some basic submissions - bread cutter choke, and two armbar variations, then set up specific sparring from side control 3 wins then rotate off to the back of the line.

Tuesday 27/11/12

BJJ, ran the open mat some people turned up expecting a class so I tried to guide them to work on stuff that will help their progression, showed some drills if they needed help, sparring to finish.

Wednesday 28/11/12

BJJ, class was on basic closed sequence of collar choke, armbar and triangle, specific sparring from closed guard then full rolling to finish.

Our school is big on specific sparring kind of a tradition that's come down from our master team, alliance, brasa and checkmat roots, throughout this time my professor has stayed loyal the Vieira brothers Leo and Ricardo, I think that specific sparring is a good way to improve your jiu jitsu quickly.

Outside of the mats I have been hit and miss with strength and conditioning work, struggling to find something to do that I can follow along with, I was thinking ROP stuff or a mix of bodyweight and krazyballs not sure which - suggestions are most welcome, cannot pay you for your advice but good karma will come your way!

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:17 pm

Well it's been a week since I have posted work has been crazy busy, jiu jitsu has still been on the menu workouts have consisted of Hindu squats and kettlebell snatches and some presses.

For jujitsu my focus has been on armbars and keeping the arm till I get the armbar, following it everywhere. I hope to keep my log updated more regularly now.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Friday 7/12/12

Covered a class for one of the coaches, went over the basics of a position we will be working on for a fee weeks half spider guard, some people call it 93 guard, whatever its called doesn't really matter it works pretty well for me in sparring and its going to be the new focus for a while as the professor has just returned from Brazil with some more details on the position.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Monday 10/12/12

Need to get back to some fitness work:

B-squats with Bulgarian bag over the shoulder alternating legs after every 10 reps : 1 x 40, 3 x 20.

Was supposed to do these in a straight set of 100 but couldn't do it, fuck am I deconditioned and unfit

Some Hindu pushups and leg raises to finish but to be honest I was goosed after the squats.

BJJ tonight

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Re: Odin's beard and a rugged lifestyle

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Tuesday 11/12/12

Legs are a little sore from yesterdays workout and jiujitsu, today's effort:

Windmills and side presses sets of 5 using 16 and 24 kg bell

Snatches using 24kg bell 10 mins sets of 4/4 on the minute

Some goodmornings using 24kg bell to finish

Neck bridging and some curls.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 pm

Wednesday 12/12/12

BJJ, with our professor coming back from Brazil we have a load of new stuff to go over, mainly half guard stuff, today we drilled three sweeps from when the opposition back steps the half guard like Marcelo does. Whilst in Brazil one of our brown belts was awarded his faxia preta, really happy for him, we now have 2 black belts at our academy which is a rare thing here in the UK - especially outside of London!

Still have doms from the sandbag squats on Monday basically means I'm a soft shite!

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Thursday 13/12/12

BJJ, worked on a new position from Brazil, like many positions they don't give it a name, its a little like x-guard really interesting position. I talked with my professor more about training in Brazil he said against the world champion black belts and brown belts like Jackson Sousa he had no guard the level of passing was insane he said the pass from a distance. He also talked about Ricardo coming out and rolling through every brown and black belt in the room, just playing about almost, its a shame he stopped competing when he did, but he is so involved in the VB project in the favelas its one of his main passions.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Saturday 15/12/12

Kids BJJ class, don't normally post these but there was some promotions given out today, I was asked to present the belts as I'm the main coach, was nice to see the excitement in there faces. Off course the belts were signed off by the professors who where there as well.

Workout:

Bunch of bottoms up cleans, hot potato drills and figure 8's with the 16kg bell

5 sets of 3-5 side presses with the 24kg bell

5 mins of snatches 5/5 on the minute

Lunges 5 mins, each minute consisted 40's work 20' rest

Some bridging.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Monday 17/12/12

Taught a class on the deep half guard for the professors who were away at our sister gym handing out some promotions, I tried to keep the class balanced so I demonstrated a few linked sweeps and some tactics on passing the deep half.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Tuesday 18/12/12

Opened mat BJJ fooled about with some sweeps and an arm bar from half guard, then rolled for 20 mins with one of our black belts.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Wednesday 19/12/12

KB workout:

Press 3x3
Squat 3x3/3
Row 3x3/3
Suitcase dead lift 3x3/3

H2H swing 2 x 20

All done with the 24 kg

BJJ, class was on basic half guard principles, passing and sweeps. Sparring after I felt good, some things coming together and feeling effortless at times especially with The lower grades, timing is spot on - ahead even. I have also noticed lately in bad spots I feel relaxed and I'm using the correct timing to escape etc, now I must add a caveat - I'm not awesome, more like some things seem to be clicking at the minute, I'm enjoying it while it lasts because there will be a dip in form sooner or later.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:27 pm

Thursday 20/12/12

BJJ, class was on a modified guard called hook guard from Brazil, Its a little like x-guard. We covered a few sweeps and entries into the position then sparring followed, had my arm stretched out pretty good in an armbar, a few cracks and pops nothing to serious but it is sore - it was accidental just a weird positional thing.

Friday 21/12/12

BJJ class was a repeat of yesterday's, which was nice as I like this position and extra reps always helps, sparring was OK my arm is sore but I made my training partners aware and just try to keep it safe.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Saturday 22/12/12

P90x legs and back, did rows on jungle gym instead of pull ups as I'm a pussy.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:17 pm

Sunday 23/12/12

P90x - X stretch