Doing Time In The Rust Belt

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Re: Doing Time In The Rust Belt

Post by Kenny X » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm really tired. This week has gotten off to a bumpy start, and may prove frustrating. I'm packing-up my apartment, to move on Saturday. I've also been given two high-priority tasks at work to complete by Wednesday, and Friday, respectively.

I'm moving back into the townhouse in Hopewell that Julia and I shared, when we first moved here.

She's already almost all moved out, and my name is still on the lease. So it makes sense that I should move back in, because I'm tired of living down the road in Aliquippa. I don't want to live in the getto anymore.

I can complete my work stuff with one half of my brain tied behind my back, that isn't a big deal. What sucks, though, is that due to the fact that these things came up, I can't take any days off work on packing or cleaning up my place before my soon-to-be-former landlord comes to inspect it. I have to do it all in the evenings, after training.

Yesterday's Bench Press session went well all thing's considered-

Friday and Saturday's Open Mat sessions at the Jiu Jitsu school were cancelled due to inclement weather and poor road conditions. I stayed in on Friday and went to bed early. Woke up early on Saturday and cleaned the bathroom until it fucking sparkled. Then I cleaned-out my closet. Two thirty-gallon lawn and leaf bags full of clothes that Julia had bought me "From the Fucking Big & Tall section because you're getting too fat, Ken!" two and a half years or so ago, when I was "bulking up;" clothes which I would swim in now -even at 215 pounds- were removed and will be dropped off at the Salvation Army Donation Center tomorrow while I'm on my lunch break. I gave my remote-controlled car to the kid downstairs. Found a box full of wedding pictures and "Thank You" cards which I had no idea how I ended with. Those started-off the third thirty gallon lawn and leaf bag, which I took into the kitchen when I began my cleaning there.

I spent all day on Saturday listening to music and cleaning and in the evening I got started on the beer I'd bought. I had a six-pack of New Castle, and a six-pack of Moosehead. I figured I could make a respectable dent, and learned later that I'd made a gross underestimation. I drank both six-packs, and then killed four cans of the IPA I'd bought a few weeks ago and threw in the back of the fridge to save for a visit from Erin or Sam. They like IPA's. I don't. I like either stout, chewy, or skunky beer, not hoppy beer. But whatever, I was twelve beers in by 9PM and wanted to keep drinking.

Went to bed at eleven, with sixteen fallen soldiers on my end table and the foot locker I use as a coffee table, respectively.

Thinking about it now makes me curious. It had occurred to me yesterday afternoon, after I'd arrived home from closing the gym, and had set about cleaning up all the empties and then realizing that I have no room what-so-ever in the large, plastic wastebin I reserve for recyclables, that My Drinking Problem may be coming back. With a vengeance.

I woke up at 7 yesterday morning, walked the dog, cleaned myself up and arrived a half hour early, to open the gym for Ryan. The other members of the Black Lodge began trickling in at 9, and we began training Bench, just like we always do, a half hour later once they'd all arrived. I did well, hit a top set at 225 for 5, then did big assistance. Finished up at 11:30, ate, and then got started on the to-do list Celli left for me. Closed at 2, and headed upstairs for cardio. The session was 2 minutes jogging on the treadmill at 4 mph, then 30 seconds of heavy kettlebell swings, then right back to jogging. For 40 minutes total.

Back to the recycling-

It had occurred to me that, by all outward appearances, I was a hard-working, responsible, happy guy who's dedicated to training, and who doesn't wish to screw-over his landlord by leaving her a messy apartment when he leaves. I hold down two jobs, I train 6 days a week, and I guess I look healthy enough.

So what's with all these bottles?

How did I drink sixteen beers, by myself -well, not technically by myself, my dog was there- and then get up and go about my business at the gym?

And where the hell did all the bottles in my recycling bin come from?

Fuck.

There must have been fifty of them in there. Did I have a party?

There was never a party, you idiot. Don't be stupid. The only people who've seen your apartment since you moved-in there a year and a half ago are your cousin Larisa who visited you in July, and Megan who spent a week with you there, in August.

And neither of them drink (though Megan has told me that I'm "bubbly, happy and charming, and cute" when I'm drunk, and thank God for that).

Why is Sarah McLachlan playing? What is she doing on the playlist you put together for your dog to listen to while you're out?

"you're a beautiful fucked-up man...."

There I was, after a successful, albeit hungover, Bench Press session, a productive afternoon cleaning-up the gym equipment, and some good cardio, standing there, staring at 16 empty beer containers and an overflowing bin in the kitchen, listening to that woman who insists on interrupting your favorite prime-time television shows with images of neglected and abused pets who'll soon be put to sleep. And it occurred to me that this was some kind of glimpse into Reality, and what I was seeing was actually just the tip of a much lager iceberg of neurosis which I feel completely powerless to deal with.

I'm tired, and I have to dealift today and do more cardio.

I'm doing cardio because a bunch of us from Team Junqueira will be doing the Tough Mudder this-coming August, for fun, and it'd be nice to be able to do it and have fun and not feel like I've been huffing raw ammonia 10 minutes into it.

And when I get home there's food prep to do, eating, and more packing. Fortunately not much more packing. I don't own many things anymore. Mostly just books and my collection of elephant sculptures.

Julia called me today. She wanted to know if I was prepared to move-in to the townhouse. I told her that I was, and that I was cleanin up my place so that I could get my security deposit back in-full, so that I could pay for my first months rent there.

My rent has gone up 400 dollars as of Feb. 1.

She inquired as to why I didn’t have the money saved for my new rent payment (from the looks of it, Kenny,  you probably spent it all on beer…) “I don’t know. I’m no good at it, you know that.” I told her.

“...controlling tools of your system, making life more tolerable, making life more tolerable...”

If you’re looking for a reason why you got divorced, look no further. Fuck.
WildGorillaMan wrote:$4000 bicycle. $300 shoes. $400 spandex.

35% bodyfat.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Sorry things are rough right now brother. Stay strong and keep away from the beer cans.

Things will improve.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:Sorry things are rough right now brother. Stay strong and keep away from the beer cans.

Things will improve.
Thank you sir!

One positive, of all of this is that I think I'm finally "getting it" in terms of understanding that though life can be rough, by and large, a lot of times it's because we did silly things and created a lot of problems for ourselves.

SO:

I'm trying to do good on these projects at work, and I just talked to The Boss, and he's happy with what I've done on them this far.

I'll not be drinking as much.

And I'll make sure to stick to my budget a little better and pay more attention to where the money goes.

35% bodyfat.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 pm

So how hard is it to quit? It's fucking brutally hard for me since I LOVE the taste of beer.

The most success I've had in curbing/quitting was with chemical help. Cabergoline is your friend.
http://www.mpresearchsupply.com/store/p ... -40ct.html

I just started back on it. Taking one pill twice a week, and it almost immediately killed my taste/need for alcohol.

But if you're on any other meds then it may not be a good idea.

And I'm 37, married, with 2 kids and I have hell managing my money.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:55 pm

I may look into that, EZ, and thank you for the suggestion.

I wish I could say that I can grab a six pack from the store, drink one every evening and leave it at that. But LMFAO no, I'm the kind of guy who'll buy two, thinking I'll only drink three or four, then drink all 12 of them. And I freely admit to occasionally walking the three miles to the beer distributor down the road, buying a case and coming back home right after.

Siiiiiigh. It's just really easy to fucking LOVE beer.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:15 am

I worked up to a set of 10 Deadlifts at 345 pounds tonight. Another 10 rep PR. Then I did my chin-ups, I can do 12 in a row now with a shoulder-width grip at 217 pounds bodyweight. Then I did my assistance.

Zack pulled with Joey and me tonight, and when I told him I was doing cardio he asked me if I'd like to do Long Cycle with him. He has a Kinder, Gentler Long Cycle training setup he uses and I told him I'd do it if he didn't make fun of me for using the 16 kg. Kettlebells.

His training routine goes like this:

8 ROUNDS OF:
1. 1 minute 1 arm Kettlebell clean and press, for 6 reps (for me) total that minute, Left
2. 30 seconds rest and you can put the Kettlebell down if you want to
3. 1 minute 1 arm Kettlebell clean and press, for 6 reps (for me) total that minute, Right
4. 30 seconds rest and you can put the Kettlebell down if you want to

I got all my 6 reps for every minute and paced myself as best I could. It was fun actually. I enjoyed it more than the KB work I try out on my own. Not anywhere near the caliber of the rest of yinz guys, but I was happy with how I did.

Then I jogged, 4.5 mph. for a half hour on the treadmill listening to really bad dance pop on my headphones.

I had a good time at the gym tonight. I have pork chops cooking and chili in the crock pot. And I'm off to clean and pack some more.

Thanks again, guys.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:12 am

We drilled various mount escapes tonight at class which was fortuitous for some of the new folks because a few were having trouble with it, as many Including myself did, at first. I like the fundamentals class because we always break down techniques and I always seem to pick up something new and exciting these days. I will be going back to advanced classes here soon as well and I'm looking forward to that, more mat time.

I executed my first successful cross-collar choke during rolling tonight. I was paired with a really aggro young white belt, who has a very good positional game for his level of experience. That entire match was profitable for both of us. He got to work on his counters to my mount escapes, I put him in Spider and kept him from passing for the first two minutes of our match, until Ricardo told us to reset. I got to work my top game and that choke, and he got to work his passing game. His names' Ryan and I liked working with him.

Rolled Iron Mike too. He says I keep improving. I will say that rolling with him is nowhere near as unpleasant as it used to be.

As of today, I have officially survived 6 months of Jiu Jitsu training.

50+ more years to come, beginning with this-coming Thursday.

Time for more packing.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:32 am

The move was successful. And my new diggs are awesome.

I got completely wasted on Saturday night and benched Sunday morning. Benching sets of 10 while you're dry heaving is stupid.

I deadlifted today- sumo. Worked up to an easy set of 5 at 285. Easier on my lower back. It was hurting so bad on Wednesday that I took rest days Thursday and Friday and worked on finishing up packing my stuff. That was a good thing. I was able to carry stuff and clean my old apartment on Saturday. Got my entire security deposit back. WIN!

Now I'm back to training and also cleaning my ex-wife out of this house.

It's going well so far.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:11 am

POWERLIFTING

Squats
  • 55 x 10
    55 x 10
    95 x 10
    95 x 10
    135 x 10
    135 x 10
    185 x 10
    135 x 10 (narrow stance)
    135 x 10 (narrow stance)
Glute-Ham + Kettlebell Swings
  • 5, 20 kg x 5 (L), 20 kg x 5 (R)
    5, 20 kg x 5 (L), 20 kg x 5 (R)
    5, 20 kg x 5 (L), 20 kg x 5 (R)
Squats fucking sucked balls today. Because I missed last week due to fucking up my back, and also a week prior to that... I miss those high rep sessions and my strength/endurance for doing those goes right into the shitter. Weight was super easy but it gassed me.

JIU JITSU

Drilled Kimuras, and Omoplatas. At least my endurance was solid on the mat when we rolled. I had to laugh though- Dolf is un-chokable. LMFAO I had that bastard in mount for 4 minutes, and no matter which choke I attacked he fended it off, bumping, blocking, he's fucking tenacious. It was god damn inspiring. Love that guy.

35% bodyfat.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:14 am

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:I'm really tired. This week has gotten off to a bumpy start, and may prove frustrating. I'm packing-up my apartment, to move on Saturday. I've also been given two high-priority tasks at work to complete by Wednesday, and Friday, respectively.

I'm moving back into the townhouse in Hopewell that Julia and I shared, when we first moved here.

She's already almost all moved out, and my name is still on the lease. So it makes sense that I should move back in, because I'm tired of living down the road in Aliquippa. I don't want to live in the getto anymore.

I can complete my work stuff with one half of my brain tied behind my back, that isn't a big deal. What sucks, though, is that due to the fact that these things came up, I can't take any days off work on packing or cleaning up my place before my soon-to-be-former landlord comes to inspect it. I have to do it all in the evenings, after training.

Yesterday's Bench Press session went well all thing's considered-

Friday and Saturday's Open Mat sessions at the Jiu Jitsu school were cancelled due to inclement weather and poor road conditions. I stayed in on Friday and went to bed early. Woke up early on Saturday and cleaned the bathroom until it fucking sparkled. Then I cleaned-out my closet. Two thirty-gallon lawn and leaf bags full of clothes that Julia had bought me "From the Fucking Big & Tall section because you're getting too fat, Ken!" two and a half years or so ago, when I was "bulking up;" clothes which I would swim in now -even at 215 pounds- were removed and will be dropped off at the Salvation Army Donation Center tomorrow while I'm on my lunch break. I gave my remote-controlled car to the kid downstairs. Found a box full of wedding pictures and "Thank You" cards which I had no idea how I ended with. Those started-off the third thirty gallon lawn and leaf bag, which I took into the kitchen when I began my cleaning there.

I spent all day on Saturday listening to music and cleaning and in the evening I got started on the beer I'd bought. I had a six-pack of New Castle, and a six-pack of Moosehead. I figured I could make a respectable dent, and learned later that I'd made a gross underestimation. I drank both six-packs, and then killed four cans of the IPA I'd bought a few weeks ago and threw in the back of the fridge to save for a visit from Erin or Sam. They like IPA's. I don't. I like either stout, chewy, or skunky beer, not hoppy beer. But whatever, I was twelve beers in by 9PM and wanted to keep drinking.

Went to bed at eleven, with sixteen fallen soldiers on my end table and the foot locker I use as a coffee table, respectively.

Thinking about it now makes me curious. It had occurred to me yesterday afternoon, after I'd arrived home from closing the gym, and had set about cleaning up all the empties and then realizing that I have no room what-so-ever in the large, plastic wastebin I reserve for recyclables, that My Drinking Problem may be coming back. With a vengeance.

I woke up at 7 yesterday morning, walked the dog, cleaned myself up and arrived a half hour early, to open the gym for Ryan. The other members of the Black Lodge began trickling in at 9, and we began training Bench, just like we always do, a half hour later once they'd all arrived. I did well, hit a top set at 225 for 5, then did big assistance. Finished up at 11:30, ate, and then got started on the to-do list Celli left for me. Closed at 2, and headed upstairs for cardio. The session was 2 minutes jogging on the treadmill at 4 mph, then 30 seconds of heavy kettlebell swings, then right back to jogging. For 40 minutes total.

Back to the recycling-

It had occurred to me that, by all outward appearances, I was a hard-working, responsible, happy guy who's dedicated to training, and who doesn't wish to screw-over his landlord by leaving her a messy apartment when he leaves. I hold down two jobs, I train 6 days a week, and I guess I look healthy enough.

So what's with all these bottles?

How did I drink sixteen beers, by myself -well, not technically by myself, my dog was there- and then get up and go about my business at the gym?

And where the hell did all the bottles in my recycling bin come from?

Fuck.

There must have been fifty of them in there. Did I have a party?

There was never a party, you idiot. Don't be stupid. The only people who've seen your apartment since you moved-in there a year and a half ago are your cousin Larisa who visited you in July, and Megan who spent a week with you there, in August.

And neither of them drink (though Megan has told me that I'm "bubbly, happy and charming, and cute" when I'm drunk, and thank God for that).

Why is Sarah McLachlan playing? What is she doing on the playlist you put together for your dog to listen to while you're out?

"you're a beautiful fucked-up man...."

There I was, after a successful, albeit hungover, Bench Press session, a productive afternoon cleaning-up the gym equipment, and some good cardio, standing there, staring at 16 empty beer containers and an overflowing bin in the kitchen, listening to that woman who insists on interrupting your favorite prime-time television shows with images of neglected and abused pets who'll soon be put to sleep. And it occurred to me that this was some kind of glimpse into Reality, and what I was seeing was actually just the tip of a much lager iceberg of neurosis which I feel completely powerless to deal with.

I'm tired, and I have to dealift today and do more cardio.

I'm doing cardio because a bunch of us from Team Junqueira will be doing the Tough Mudder this-coming August, for fun, and it'd be nice to be able to do it and have fun and not feel like I've been huffing raw ammonia 10 minutes into it.

And when I get home there's food prep to do, eating, and more packing. Fortunately not much more packing. I don't own many things anymore. Mostly just books and my collection of elephant sculptures.

Julia called me today. She wanted to know if I was prepared to move-in to the townhouse. I told her that I was, and that I was cleanin up my place so that I could get my security deposit back in-full, so that I could pay for my first months rent there.

My rent has gone up 400 dollars as of Feb. 1.

She inquired as to why I didn’t have the money saved for my new rent payment (from the looks of it, Kenny,  you probably spent it all on beer…) “I don’t know. I’m no good at it, you know that.” I told her.

“...controlling tools of your system, making life more tolerable, making life more tolerable...”

If you’re looking for a reason why you got divorced, look no further. Fuck.
Pure poetry...but I hope things improve for you and you feel and do better soon.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:30 am

POWERLIFTING

Bench Press
  • 45 x 10
    45 x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    175 x 5
    200 x 8
Close-Grip Bench Press
  • 155 x 10
    155 x 10
    155 x 10
    155 x 6
DB Flyes + DB Bench Press
  • 50's x 10, 5
    50's x 10, 5
    50's x 10, 0
Cable Cross-Overs
  • 40 x 20
    40 x 20
    40 x 20
KB Skulls
  • 32 kg x 15
    32 kg x 15
    32 kg x 14
    32 kg x 6
1-Arm KB Clean and Press R+L, :60 on, :60 off
  • 16 kg x 6, 6
    16 kg x 6, 6
    16 kg x 6, 6
    16 kg x 5, 5
Face Pulls
  • 20 x 30
    20 x 30

Also did some easy cardio.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:41 am

A lot of people will be running and hiding tonight...

POWERLIFTING

Sumo Deadlift
  • 135 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    300 x 7
Pull-Ups
  • BW x 8
    BW x 8
    BW x 8
    BW x 8
    BW x 8
    BW x 8
    BW x 8
    BW x 6
Shrugs
  • 205 x 20
    205 x 20
    205 x 15
BB Curls
  • 30 x 15
    40 x 15
    50 x 15
    60 x 8
    60 x 8
    60 x 8
    40 x 16
    30 x 16
Uphill Sled Sprint Intervals
  • 105 x 4 forward
    105 x 2 backward

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:19 am

JIU JITSU

I changed it up. I'll be doing the advanced classes on Monday and Wednesday instead of the fundamentals classes.

Tonight fucked me up LOL

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 am

POWERLIFTING

Squats
  • 55 x 5
    55 x 5
    145 x 5
    165 x 5
    190 x 5
    215 x 7
    145 x 10 (Close Stance)
    145 x 10 (Close Stance)
    145 x 10 (Close Stance)
    145 x 10 (Close Stance)
Glute-Ham Raise
  • BW x 5
    BW x 5
    BW x 5

Not going to class on Thursdays has it's advantages. I didn't have to rush through my squat workout tonight and I could concentrate on power, on the work sets, and slow, constant tension on the Boring But Big sets.

The glute-hams were done slow, body-builder style.

Oh yeah, I moved into 5/3/1 with ridiculously easy training maxes and the Boring But Big assistance plan on the squats and bench press so I could keep the sets of 10 like Coach wants.

I will be deadlifting for sets of 10 during assistance starting next Tuesday.

I enjoyed tonight's session. Squats were explosive, the weight felt easy and my lower back didn't complain at all (the main reason I started super-easy-light).

35% bodyfat.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:06 am

Good work DA. It is always nice not being rushed during a workout. Glad to see you moving to the advanced class too. Kick ass bro!

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:56 am

Dunn wrote:Good work DA. It is always nice not being rushed during a workout. Glad to see you moving to the advanced class too. Kick ass bro!
THANK YOU!!

Yeah, moving things around was a good idea. Better Jiu Jitsu and giving leg day the proper attention. And frankly I'm amazed, I felt wrecked after class last night, but I was good to go today! And with the way my back has been, 200 and up can feel heavy and fucky. Today it felt easy and my spinal erectors behaved. I've been stretching the crap out of my hammies and lower back with Yoga in the mornings again, after road work with the dog, and I believe that's helped.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:12 am

JIU JITSU

Open Mat was enjoyable tonight. Rolled with Professor and he helped me with my passing afterwards, had a good one with Big Eric too, more positional stuff really. Drilled the hell out of Kimuras and sweeps with Cory, and a great sweep to mount with a key lock on the arm closest to you, that has four submission options with Titan Chris. Very productive session tonight.

35% bodyfat.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:14 pm

I really like 5/3/1 and the BBB template. The logging of your JJ sessions is very interesting.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:I really like 5/3/1 and the BBB template. The logging of your JJ sessions is very interesting.
Thanks for stopping in, Mick! It's always a pleasure to see you as much as the babe in your sig, too.

I always come back to 5/3/1. It always works for me in the sense that I always feel good, when I do it. I can push myself, do good on a consistent basis and I never feel brutalized from it. And I always make -albeit a tad bit slower- gains.

LMAO and I'm 34, what the hell do I need to make "fast" gains for anyway? If it takes me till 40 to bench 315, oh well, no problem- because I kept training the entire time.

JIU JITSU

I rolled with Coach Kevin first thing this morning, as is customary for him and me, at Saturday Open Mat. The Team isn't doing No-Gi on Saturdays for a while, which is fine. I need more Gi fundamentals anyway.

My rolls with Kevin on Saturdays are my barometer for my own progress. If I feel stronger, improved, able to attack/work more techniques on him, or give him a better run for his money, I know I'm making progress.

I tried to pull guard more today. If they advance BOOM! I get em in my closed guard right away. And in also decided that as soon as I do that, I need to immediately break down their posture and start attacking chokes. IMMEDIATELY.

I still didn't submit Kevin. But I held my own way better. Didn't manage to sweep him but I did attack the right sweeps at the right time, and made it harder for him to pass me. My guard-retention felt better, too. And I passed him too, for the first time.

Iron Mike taught me a nifty escape from his mounted arm bar and I managed to turn right around and use it successfully on Cory. He still smashed me, as did Josh, but it was a great time and I'm glad I went.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:49 am

POWERLIFTING

Bench Press
  • 45 x 10
    45 x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    165 x 3
    190 x 3
    210 x 6
Close-Grip Bench Press
  • 155 x 10
    155 x 10
    155 x 10
    155 x 10
DB Bench Press
  • 60's x 10
    60's x 10
    60's x 10
Cable Cross-Overs
  • 25's x 10
    25's x 10
    25's x 10
DB Skulls
  • 20's x 15
    20's x 15
    25's x 13
    30's x 8
Front Delt Raise
  • 45 x 10
    45 x 10
    45 x 10
DB Lateral Raise
  • 15's x 15
    15's x 15
    15's x 15
Face Pulls
  • 30 x 10
    30 x 10
    30 x 10

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:42 pm

PAJAMA WRASSLIN'

Last night...

We drilled a wicked choke from knee-on-belly first, followed by an in-depth technical look at mounted arm-bars, and subsequent drilling which I needed.

We rolled 10 minute rounds last night and I got to roll Professor again. I managed two guard passes, but he submitted me more times than I could count. I kept gettin him in a 50/50 as he attempted a pass and he just rolled right through it, I'd block him with a knee shield and somehow he'd transition, grab one of my T-Rex arms and arm-bar me. I need to use a better defense on him when he's passing me like that.

It was a good session.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:37 am

POWERLIFTING

Sumo Deadlift
  • 135 x 5
    225 x 5
    245 x 3
    285 x 3
    315 x 6
    225 x 10
    225 x 10
    225 x 10
    225 x 10
Shrugs
  • 135 x 20
    135 x 20
    135 x 20
Lat Pull-Down + Seated Machine Row
  • 120 x 10 + 45's x 10
    120 x 10 + 45's x 10
    120 x 10 + 45's x 10
    120 x 9 + 45's x 10
Pull-Ups
BB Curls
  • 50 x 15
    50 x 15
    50 x 15
    40 x 18
    30 x 21
Seated DB Curls
  • 25's x 8
    25's x 8
    25's x 8
    30's x 6
    30's x 6

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:58 am

JIU JITSU

More drilling arm-bars, this time straight from knee-on-belly. That one was cool. Also, lots of sweeps. Then came the fights. 8 minutes tonight and I was mediocre. Sometimes I feel retarded, rolling with Professor. I did manage to pass his guard a few times... I don't know if be let me do it, just to see what I'd do next. Not sure.

Anyway, after him I was with Simon, and did better. Had a good match with Pig Pen, too.

I'm exhausted. Gotta get to bed. Squat Day tomorrow.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Good times, bad times, you know I've had my share...

I weighed-in at 207 pounds this morning. Last Thursday morning I was 208, and the week before that, I was 210. So it appears that the conservative caloric restriction (2,000 - 2,200 calories per day, Sunday through Friday) is working as-intended. 13 more pounds until I reach my goal weight of 195 and my plan is, once I get there, I eat just a little above maintenance for 195, continue eating whole foods 90% of the time, and continue training as I have been with the hopes that I will stay floating between 195 and 200, and lean out a little bit more.

I think that many would say that I'm coming-in a little short, on the calories, for what I do, and Celli (who originally thought-up the macronutrient ratio for my daily eating) even told me to be mindful, and I have been. Back day was a good example. On Tuesday I did my Sumo Deadlifts and accessory work. I went after my 5/3/1 Sumo DL's on the top set like Wendler and others advise, vis-a-vis- I did more reps that prescribed, put in a solid effort, but left a little in the tank. Then, when I did my assistance work (with the exception of the pull-ups which I neither kipped nor performed slowly) I performed them with time under tension in-mind, chasing the pump. And I was not brutally sore the following day, and I am not suffering from crippling DOMS today, either. Quite the contrary, I feel good- body feels strong and my muscles feel relatively full dispite the fact that I'm carb-depleting (will refeed like a motherfucker on Saturday evening, as is custom), and I have a positive mental outlook and clarity, today.

I believe that a big part of the clarity I'm getting comes from using homemade pumpernickel bread as my carb of choice instead of rice, and cycling when I eat it. In the past three weeks I have not had any problems with blood sugar spiking hard and then crashing- not even on Saturday evenings when I go balls-out with the pizza and chocolate and stuff. I've also moderated my beer consumption to just 2 22 ouncers of good beer, on Saturday evening.

Also, I'm pleased to say that I've stuck to my guns and have eaten vegetables every day, too. I've gotten used to eating broccoli and it no longer bothers me. What I do is I have a big ass salad with whatever I'm eating for dinner.

I like this eating plan a lot. My daily average of macros is something along the lines of:

230 grams of protein (from chicken, beef or fish and a little dairy, -and NO swine at all)

80 grams of fat

90 grams of carbs on lifting days / 50 grams of carbs on non-lifting days

And on Saturday evenings beginning at 4 I eat whatever I want, and as I said, it's usually a large pizza, a couple of sodas, beer, dark chocolate and maybe some chicken wings.

Muscles are fullest when I wake up on Sunday, and I can train Sunday morning on an empty stomach and do well.

It works for me. I break it down into three meals a day- lunch, dinner, and a protein shake before bed time. And lo-and-behold, I have not noticed any metabolic slowdown at all. How about that.

The way I look has always factored into my training in some way, shape or form. When I was an SS cultist, I just wanted to get as big as possible. That was silly. I ballooned up to almost 300 pounds. In under 6 months. Really silly. Bordering on downright idiotic.

Later on, I wanted to look like some of the bodybuilders you see nowadays. That didn't last long (thank God).

What I decided on, for me as a Powerlifting Jiu Jitsu player, was a body more like what you saw from the oldschool guys. The really oldschool ones- Eugen Sandow. Asthetically speaking, I think that the physique and proportions that Eugen achieved are well-within the grasp of a dedicated lifter who follows a good strength training program which gives attention to balance, and also cardio, and is a reasonable goal.

Interestingly enough, in terms of me achieving his Grecian Ideal, all I really need to do is lose two inches off my waist, and bring up my upper arms from 16 inches to around 17 and a half, and make my delts a little fuller.

So my asthetic goals have become more reasonable and sane, as has my eating and my alcohol intake. These are all good things.

I want to look like I train, and I'd like to continue making good, consistent strength gains over the long-run, and I'd like to have healthy blood pressure (and my blood pressure has been great these past few times I've measured it).

I'm happy with where this is going.

On the subject of Jiu Jitsu...

The Advanced training sessions, and more specifically being taught by Professor Junqueira now that he has returned, and also the rolls with the more advanced upper-belts has knocked me down several pegs. It feels like my first month again, as-opposed to feeling awesome all the time like I got to feeling in the Fundamentals class. Passing folk's guard is 110% more difficult and I feel retarded much of the time, doing it. Everybody I roll with now shuts down my spider guard and many of my sweeps, and I get beat up a lot worse. These aren't necessarily bad things but one thing that does frustrate me is how some of my friends, who began at the same time that I did, seem to pick up certain concepts, and use them almost right away, a lot faster than I do, and on fewer training sessions.

The tendency to do that is complete bullshit. And I know that I shouldn't compare myself to other people. But I guess as a human being, it's normal to do so.

And just because my friends may have picked up certain useful things and use them better than I do, as I struggle to understand them, I can still do certain things that I've learned really well. Everybody learns differently.

No reason to compare myself to other people. And it is futile and silly to get frustrated if things feel "new" to me again. Advanced classes are a far cry from my comfort zone.

One thing I would like to work on, is not being so "timid" with certain things...

A good example of that happened last night after I'd successfully passed Professor's guard (whether or not he let me, to see what I'd do next notwithstanding). I had his back, but did not consolidate the position properly and he rolled right out of it, and then admonished me not to let that happen- "You're a biiiig duuude, dude, don lemme roll out like that..." -I'm just now to the point where I can "get" taking a guy's back. With him it was weird because I felt hesitant, and I have no idea why.

I need to work on that shit.

Well, that's about all the time I have for a self-evaluation. Over all I'm happy with my training life and nutrition plan and stuff. And I'm happy with Jiu Jitsu and looking at it with a clear mind, it's great that I always have something to learn, or improve on and always will. Keeps the brain healthy.

So yeah, things are good. Hopefully the snow doesn't prevent me from getting to the gym in a timely manner for Squat Day after work.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:07 am

POWERLIFTING

Squats
  • 55 x 5
    55 x 5
    145 x 5
    175 x 3
    200 x 3
    225 x 5
    145 x 10 (Narrow Stance)
    145 x 10 (Narrow Stance)
    145 x 10 (Narrow Stance)
    145 x 10 (Narrow Stance)
Glute-Ham Raise
Calf Raise
  • 220 x 15
    220 x 15
    220 x 15
    200 x 20
    200 x 20
    200 x 20
    200 x 20

35% bodyfat.