Doing Time In The Rust Belt

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Re: Doing Time In The Rust Belt

Post by Kenny X » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:22 am

JIU JITSU

It was recommended that I do more flow rolling and I didn't take that advice lightly. Did quite a bit of that tonight, before rolling at it helped me out a lot. Professor called me out first thing and we rolled, and he helped me with my guard passing more, which as we know, can be the bane of my fucking existence sometimes. He wanted me to pick a side and commit to it, fully, and that's what I did, and he wanted me to "always be grabbing something." Did that too, and was able to pass Big Chris during my next match, take his back and hit a bow and arrow choke on him. That rocked. Big Chris, in turn, got to use some cool new shit he's been working on, on me and did quite well, he felt stronger today. Had a few other matches which Professor coached me through, and learned a good knee and elbow mount escape to half-guard and a sweep from there. Big Chris also took time out to break down and drill the sweep he's been using when a guy has him in scarf hold. A very productive session.
WildGorillaMan wrote:$4000 bicycle. $300 shoes. $400 spandex.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:25 am

POWERLIFTING

Bench Press
  • 45 x 10
    45 x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    190 x 5
    215 x 3
    240 x 3
Close-Grip Bench Press
  • 45 x 20
    95 x 20
    135 x 15
    145 x 15
DB Bench Press
  • 40's x 15
    40's x 15
    40's x 20
    40's x 20
Assorted triceps and deltoid accessory work...

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:15 am

JIU JITSU

A 24 ouncer of Gatorade, half pre-training and half during helps me on the mat a lot. I need the fuel to help me stay mentally sharp. Tonight was a warm up, 15 minutes of drilling a new sweep, and then a solid hour of rolling.

Passing feels ... different now. One thing has to replace another. Kill a leg or hip with your hand, your knee needs to replace it as you work your way up...

Rolled again with Professor. He's taking me further now. It was more dynamic. I committed to passing on the left and he neutralized me by following me. It is then that it is appropriate to switch to the middle or the other side... I can see what he's doing with me.

Christ I'm fucking exhausted.

DL's tomorrow.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:57 am

POWERLIFTING

Sumo Deadlift
  • 135 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    295 x 3
    335 x 4
Various assistance stuff.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:22 am

JIU JITSU

Learned two new sweeps from full-guard tonight, along with another arm-bar option from cross-body. The sweep is interesting- it's all hips really. Get him in closed-guard, get an arm, One grip on the cuff, the other on the gi up on the triceps and jerk them hard, bringing their shoulder to your chest. Then, trap the foot on the same side, and use your hips to sweep them over. You can also create space and swim your other hand under and through, and grab their gi at the knee to help if their base is strong. Did butterfly sweep as well.

I felt like a retard rolling, but Jake says despite how it feels I'm getting lot better.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:45 am

POWERLIFTING

Squats
  • 55 x 5
    55 x 5
    95 x 5
    145 x 5
    195 x 5
    215 x 3
    245 x 4
    145 x 10
    145 x 10
    145 x 10
    145 x 10
Glute-Ham + Calf Raise
  • 10, 240 x 10
    10, 240 x 10
    10, 240 x 10

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:55 am

JIU JITSU

I got broken-down again tonight. I was due for it, I think. This is good, nowhere to go but further up from here.

Professor wants me to attack more aggressively. I got crushed bad throughout most of open mat tonight, but was able to go completely ballistic on the guy I was rolling with for my last match, and cranked the volume up to 11, as Alfred, and Spinal Tap, are find of saying.

Professor says my guard is getting a lot better, and the guys say I'm improving. So I'll take it. Monday evening will be awesome.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:29 pm

JIU JITSU

I've been thinking about last night's Jiu Jitsu session (which I didn't log when I got home because the exhaustion precipitated into grilling and consuming two NY strip steaks and then immediately going to bed), and the few before it as objectively as I can. And though they've been a lot more difficult since switching to the Advanced class, frustrating at times, I can say that good things are happening.

Coach Jake even told me so, the other day after we rolled and he systematically broke me down and crushed me at every turn, when he said "You're getting a lot better. I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but you are."

Jake has a way about him which cuts through the emotional fog that comes from sheer frustration, and makes you feel better. That's one of the reasons I enjoy training with him so much.

In Fundamentals, my passing game grew by leaps and bounds. In the Advanced class, not only does my passing game get shut down the majority of the time, my training partners have exposed several bad habits -by way of triangling me- which I need to work on breaking. Professor has been helping me with this, by playing guard with me when we roll, sweeping me and smashing me at every opportunity, and coaching me along the way. And I'm noticing little improvements when I roll with the others.

But here's what's interesting-

This whole time I've been working on my passing game, getting crushed by my partners, beat up, and succombing to frustration, my guard game has somehow improved.

I noticed it the other day when I was rolling with Josh. He'd been all over me and with a few minutes left on the clock, after being submitted a few times, I was tired and pissed off. "So fuck it," I thought to myself, "I'm a white belt, my job is to survive, so I'm gonna survive," and on making that decision I got him in my closed-guard (which I believe is bolstered by the fact that -though I don't enjoy doing it- I can deadlift 350 pounds for reps), and I kept him there. The grip war started, and I began breaking down his posture. This seemed to work well. He tried several means of breaking my guard and I was able to fend them off well, until he finally put his head into my chest, stood his back legs up and brute forced me into opening up just before the buzzer went off.

At other times, I notice that I end up with a partner in half-guard, or they're bulldozing me and I somehow or another get them back into my closed guard.

It's like my mind and my body have been figuring out these basic underpinnings while I've been busy thinking about, and doing, other things.

Yesterday evening I had a chance to roll with a new fella named Tim. He started two months ago. Tim's a balls-strong and athletic type of guy- imagine an Division 1 wide-receiver who can also squat 400 pounds, with the spaz-aggro rolling mentality we all had in the beginning, and the conditioning to allow him to roll for 10 minutes going 200% the whole time. It's nuts and I love rolling with him.

Anyway, Tim is improving and he has picked up passing, putting pressure on, and moving around on you really well. I relaxed and let whatever was going to happen, happen -meaning I just let my mind and my body do what it wanted, and I was able to keep him from passing me most of the time, get myself out of the bad situations he did manage to put me in and get him back into my closed guard, and, after securing him, and attacking several chokes (which Tim defended against competently), I hit a scissor sweep, mounted him, went to work on chokes again and captured his right defending arm and put the Americana on him, submitting him.

The shit went like clockwork.

My experience with Tim yesterday was a victory for both of us. I left the roll more confident in my guard playing, and less-frustrated in-general, and Tim left with more confidence in his ability to defend against chokes, along with a mental imprint of what did indeed work from the instances where he did pass me and end up in cross-body. We both learned something important and as an aside, this nature that Jiu Jitsu has, of "Both partners always coming away from the roll with something positive, as long as they look at it from the right perspective" is something which I enjoy very much and need to focus on more.

I'm not in this to beat people up during class, and I'm not keeping score. The reason why I remember submissions I might get is so that I may become cognizant of what I did, and what's happening when I did it, and distill it. Tim is a great guy and I'm always glad to see him walk through the academy doors. He's fun as Hell to roll with, and I don't mean to boast about the fact I hit a super-high percentage submission on him. That isn't where I'm coming from. What I am excited about, however, is simply the fact that somehow my mind and my body have managed to chain those components together:

Closed-Guard -> Attack Chokes (if they work, cool, if not his mind is on his neck and not his belly and his base) -> scissor Sweep -> Consolidate Mount -> Attack Chokes (again, if they work, cool, if not, an arm is bound to become available for either an arm-bar, or Americana) -> Finish

...and make it all work. And now Tim "knows" on whatever level, that something like this could be coming, next time. And this helps him out.

There are other options from Closed Guard which I am slowly exploring as well...

...Arm-Bars and Triangles. The upper-belts know how to block my legs when I open my guard and get my feet on their hips. I can pin the arm I'm attacking, but somehow they manage to block my leg from coming up and around, in the case of a straight Arm-Bar, or they prevent me from pivoting my hips to get that leg over top of them for a Triangle. My timing on those needs to get better, and I need to determine the other weak-links in that chain.

Anyhow, It seems to me that my thinking about a lot of this stuff has been scattered and also obscured by occasionally frustrations stemming from things which I ignorantly perceive to be setbacks.

I need to remain cognizant of the fact that if I get smashed during rolling or shit just doesn't seem to work it doesn't mean that I'm an idiot. All it is, is the process of learning, and I'm a hands-on trial-and-error type of guy, always have been. And that's fine.

My buddy Brian is awesome. He's Jake's roommate and he just started a few weeks ago. He's balls-strong too and he's also an extremely visual learner (I am NOT). He watches the demo once and BOOM! he know how to do it, and he's not scared to try it out, immediately.

I'm not that lucky. I can drill the technique after the demo, and on a drilling partner I can make it work.

But when we're live, there is a HUGE disparity- not only is my confidence not there to put the new technique into practice, I feel retarded when I do try. Takes me a little while to put it together and use it, and then one day later it just makes sense, and I can do it.

Strange...

Anyway, it's been good over-all. Looking forward to Wednesday.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:26 am

JIU JITSU

I had my first private, one-on-one session with The Professor, tonight.

I sort of thought, going into it, that it might go like this:

:axe:

LOL ... I think stupid shit sometimes.

He asked me if I wanted to work on anything specific, and he's been rolling with me frequently so I told him I was interested in fixing the major technical things that I'm doing wrong.

He pinpointed a few pretty big errors I'm making when I'm passing guard-
  • My positional angle is wrong- I'm not facing my opponent
    I'm not putting any of my weight on the opponent
    I'm moving around too much, dashing from side to side before I attack
We've touched on this a little bit during rolling but he got in-depth today.

His thoughts are that I'm a big guy, not one of the small, quick dudes. It's miserable for the opponent to have all my weight on them when I pass their guard. If my angle to them is right, I'm very difficult to push over, and the pressure keeps them off the attack.

We went right into rolling and I did as he said, and he was pleased with the results. And I noticed something- the feeling is different when I do what he says. I feel the energy from his posting on me, but I don't feel that other energy, the one that shifts me back and forth and draws me I to triangle chokes. This was really cool.

Passing game improved. Less energy was expended during attempts to pass his guard. And the matches went well.

We also went over hip movement when I'm on my back escaping from bad positions. We worked live, with me attempting to cope with, and escape his cross-body, as well as going from having him in half-guard back to full, closed guard. As well as my defense.

He feels that more confidence will help me out a lot. He believes that if defenses are good, you can have the confidence you need to cope with being in bad spots, fend off attacks better and thus psychologically tamper with the opponent in the sense that if he's on the attack and you're consistently fending them off, he becomes distressed, changes up his tactics, creates situations where he could make mistakes.

I made certain to stay calm and protect my neck during attempts to choke me, and survived longer than usual. I even capitalized on a brief moment here and there when I felt a lessening of the pressure, got my hips out and turned a few bad spots into relatively better ones.

I definitely got what I needed out of this session. Perspective is a little different, mindset is a little different, and I'm happy with how things are going EXCEPT-

Post-nasal drip and ensuing acid reflux are making me gag, and wretch, during training. THAT SUCKS. Mucinex and antacids for me for a while, I'm not trying to puke all over the mat.

Good session tonight.

Back to logging training on the reg again, too.

35% bodyfat.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:35 am

Welcome back.

Don't sweat the guy learning shit quick. Some guys are just freaks. I have a friend who is a pro MMA fighter. I'd show him a technique that took me weeks to pick up and by the end of the day he'd be fucking using it on me.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:56 am

Ed Zachary wrote:Welcome back.

Don't sweat the guy learning shit quick. Some guys are just freaks. I have a friend who is a pro MMA fighter. I'd show him a technique that took me weeks to pick up and by the end of the day he'd be fucking using it on me.
You're right.

I'm a hacker in my career life. A student of "Always yield to the hands-on imperative." And that's how I learn. Hands on. By repetitive doing. I can't just watch a demo and do something. I have to do it, over and over, making tons of mistakes along the way. I cant be pissed at, or frustrated with, my own nature; nor can I hold myself up to somebody else. That's a loser's game right there.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:26 am

POWERLIFTING

Military Press
  • 45 x 10
    95 x 10
    95 x 10
    95 x 10
    95 x 10
    95 x 10
Bench Press
  • 45 x 5
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    205 x 10
Bench Dips and Press-Downs
  • 15 x 40 x 15
    15 x 40 x 15
    15 x 40 x 15
    15 x 40 x 15
Overhead Triceps Extensions
  • 40 x 20
    40 x 20
    40 x 20
    40 x 20
    40 x 20
T-Bar Rows
  • 95 x 25
    95 x 25
    115 x 15
    115 x 15
    115 x 15

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 am

JIU JITSU

Big class tonight, great turn-out. Lots of good people came out.

Professor took us through two different cross-body to mount scenarios, breaking-down each of the little techniques in them, and then we drilled it. I remained cognizant of Professor's admonishment to me last week- "You're not putting any of your weight on me," and when we drilled I stayed mindful of keeping the pressure on. And it was good because Sam came out,and drilled with me and he's great when it comes to feedback. He helps me a lot.

After drills we rolled. I was able to pass more comfortably, since Professor sorted me out. Keeping my hips low, I initiated all my toriendo, and X Passes from my knees instead of getting up on my feet. My fucking stork legs make my center of gravity too high, and earlier I'd been having trouble with the other big guy's and their tendency to stay upright on their knees at first. SO, when initiating the pass, I blast forward hard, getting my grips into their trousers at the knees, whilst simultaneously turning my shoulder into them and killing their lower body with my weight, keeping mindful of maintaining that optimal angle that Professor talked about. Felt a lot better and worked a lot better.

Guard playing felt more comfortable too. Using my hips more feels better, as does keeping the opponent in closed guard while breaking downy their posture, attacking, etc. Did 6 matches, and expended a lot less energy than usual.

Good night tonight.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:12 am

POWERLIFTING

Sumo Deadlift
  • 135 x 5
    225 x 5
    265 x 5
    305 x 5
Box Squats (12" box)
  • 45 x 10
    95 x 10
    115 x 10
    135 x 10
    135 x 10
    135 x 10
    135 x 10
    135 x 10
Ring Pull-Ups
  • BW x 6
    BW x 6
    BW x 6
    BW x 5
    BW x 5
Shrugs
  • 135 x 20
    135 x 20
    135 x 20
Followed this up with assorted curls and triceps work.

It was a good session.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:02 am

JIU JITSU (Fundies :happiness: )

- Drilled the living fuck out of Triangle Chokes from Spider Guard. Professor went over a few technical details which I had missed previously, for transitioning from Closed Guard to Spider Guard, namely taking a firm control of both arms and breaking-down the opponent's posture (as opposed to what I normally do which is get my foot lasso in there and my other foot in their ditch with finesse), and also gave me a new perspective on Spider Guard in-general.

- Drilled the living fuck out of mount escapes, which is always good. I discovered that the reason my my Elbow Escape never works when rolling is because I was doing it at the wrong time, you use that one when they're mounted and posting, because the opponent has less weight on your abdomen and thus, you can dig the elbows in, bump and escape the hips easily. That doesn't work of all their weight is directly over my abdomen.

Profitable drilling tonight indeed.

- Rolled five times and got a lot of help from the "Higher Hanked" guys.

Great night tonight.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:32 am

POWERLIFTING

Sumo Deadlift
  • 135 x 5
    225 x 5
    250 x 3
    285 x 3
    325 x 5
Box Squat (13" Box)
  • 145 x 10
    145 x 10
    145 x 10
    145 x 10
Shrugs
  • 165 x 20
    165 x 20
    165 x 20
Followed that up with lat pull-downs and curls and triceps extensions. Good session.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:16 am

JIU JITSU

- Drilled getting the underhook first when the opponent is passing your guard, escaping and then taking his back. That was good because I needed to work on some small details with that one.

Then we rolled. 6 matches, I think. And they were profitable. Feeling more comfortable getting my knee shield in there and retaining my guard, and making my closed guard more dynamic as well. It was a good session over all.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:37 pm

POWERLIFTING

Military Press
  • 45 x 10
    45 x 10
    95 x 10
    95 x 10
    95 x 10
    95 x 10
Bench Press
  • 45 x 5
    45 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    150 x 3
    175 x 3
    215 x 8
DB Flyes + Blast Strap Rows
  • 45's x 15 + BW x 8
    45's x 15 + BW x 8
    45's x 15 + BW x 8
    45's x 15 + BW x 8
    45's x 15 + BW x 8
Dips + Lat Pull-Down
  • BW x 10 + 130 x 8
    BW x 10 + 130 x 8
    BW x 10 + 130 x 8
    BW x 10 + 130 x 8
    BW x 10 + 130 x 8
... Assorted curls and triceps extensions.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:45 am

JIU JITSU

- Drilled standing up and breaking the guard and then passing.

- Drilled choke from mount.

Did well tonight. Rolled four times and though the higher ranked guys have all gotten hip to the new stuff I'm doing I did still manage to attain some dominant positions. So that was good. I need to start stack passing again.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:07 am

POWERLIFTING

Squats
  • 55 x 5
    55 x 5
    145 x 5
    185 x 3
    205 x 3
    230 x 6
Stiff-Leg Deadlifts
  • 185 x 8
    185 x 8
    185 x 8

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:35 am

JIU JITSU

- Drilled an interesting escape where you're in Turtle position, the guy has your back, and you get his arm, and roll. I'd been looking for a way to escape from situations like that, and this is useful.

Had some interesting matches tonight too. Things are feeling a lot better and making a lot more sense. Left the mat feeling great, and on the way home I hit a deer with my car. Fuck.

Heh, you take the good with the bad LOL Thank God it didn't come through the windshield.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:25 pm

STREMF N' CONDISHNUNS

-Military Press
  • 45 x 10
    95 x 5
    115 x 5
    135 x 3
    150 x 6 (woohoo!!)
-Bench Press
  • 45 x 10
    95 x 10
    135 x 10
    185 x 10
DB Bench Press + Blast Strap Rows
  • 50's x 12, BW x 10
    50's x 12, BW x 10
    50's x 12, BW x 10
    50's x 12, BW x 10
    50's x 12, BW x 10
-DB Skull Crushers + Close-Grip Lat Pull-Down
  • 40's x 12 + 120 x 10
    40's x 12 + 120 x 10
    40's x 12 + 120 x 10
    40's x 12 + 120 x 10
    40's x 12 + 120 x 10
-DB Skull Crushers + DB Curls + Rear-Delt Raises
  • 20's x 20 + 30's x 10 + 20's x 25
    20's x 20 + 30's x 10 + 20's x 25
-Battle Ropes x 7

-Recumbent Bike: 15 min.

-Stair Climber: 15 min.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:03 am

STRENGTH TRAINING

-Sumo Deadlift
  • 135 x 5
    225 x 5
    315 x 3
    335 x 3
    365 x 3 (WOO-HOO!! :happiness: )
-Box Squat (13" Box)
  • 55 x 10
    55 x 10
    105 x 10
    125 x 10
    145 x 10
-Lat Pull-Down + Back Raise
  • 140 x 10 + BW x 15
    140 x 10 + BW x 15
    140 x 10 + BW x 15
    140 x 10 + BW x 15
    140 x 10 + BW x 15
-DB Curls + Skull Crushers
  • 30's x 8 + 30's x 8
    30's x 8 + 30's x 8
    35's x 8 + 35's x 8
    35's x 8 + 35's x 8
    40's x 8 + 40's x 8
    40's x 8 + 40's x 8
    45's x 5 + 45's x 8
    45's x 5 + 45's x 8
I wanted to do more leg stuff but that 3 rep Sumo DL PR fried the fuck out of my quads (for some weird reason o.0), and left my knees sore as well. I need to stretch more in the mornings after cardio. Still, I'm stoked about this session. I didn't feel like doing my 5/3/1 week for DL's today, so Shawn talked me into pulling a new Sumo PR instead. That was cool. NO pain in my back.

35% bodyfat.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:30 am

Great job AP! I love pulling sumo, despite Blaidd Dwrg's dislike of it. Again, solid session and best of all no back pain!

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:54 am

Dunn wrote:Great job AP! I love pulling sumo, despite Blaidd Dwrg's dislike of it. Again, solid session and best of all no back pain!
Thank you sir!! And yes, the no back pain, even after getting stack passed at Jiu Jitsu is a blessing. The back raises, the decrease in stress from pulling sumo, and also my rigorous hamstring stretching regimen seems to be paying off in spades. Only lifting twice a week seems to agree with me, too.

35% bodyfat.