Doing Time In The Rust Belt

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Soupbone

Re: Doing Time In The Rust Belt

Post by Soupbone » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:Keep calm and pull guard.

JIU JITSU

Last night's class was one of those where you learn something new and it seems like a whole new universe opens up before you. We learned about the Butterfly Guard.

I like it. I've been using Spider Guard a lot, it's kind of my go-to thing when I get into trouble on my back, and that's fine, but it isn't going to be what you want in every situation. Butterfly Guard is cool in the sense that you can transition to it easily from Spider Guard, and it affords you another set of options, a few of which- some pretty handy sweeps, we drilled.

After drilling, which went well, we rolled. And I felt like a complete retard the whole time. This is good, it means my mind has new stuff in it and is wanting to use it, but hasn't leaned when yet, so it's looking. Every time I have a class where I feel like I don't know anything when I roll usually means that next time I roll, it's awesome.

Great class last night.
It seems to me that the universe opens up before me every time I train.
You are making marvelous progress!
I find myself using butterfly guard more often. Big guys like us need to have dangerous guards. Butterfly and butterfly from half guard have tons of options and are fun to play.
Keep up the great work!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:38 pm

Thank you Soupbone!!

And I concur. I learned very early on that I had to do something about my bad habit of going straight to my back all day, when the guys would try to bulldoze me. I'm not dissing Closed Guard of course, but what I am saying is- I'm a big, strong dude with long-ass legs and therefore, I have Other Options.

That's where Spider Guard came in so handy for me. The way Coach Kevin presented it to me put it into language that I could understand and I began using it pretty-much right away and that helped me to start using sweeps. I say "start" because it's going to take me a lot more mat time to get my timing down and also for my mind to intuit when conditions are right to make them work. But I have a leg-up, because it feels comfortable to me from the get-go and that makes it easier for me to use them and experiment with them.

Butterfly Guard feels the same in this regard, and I've almost been doing it by accident already. The comments Simon made to me, during our first roll on Saturday morning were in reference to the fact that at the beginning of the match I did not immediately get on my back and try to get him into closed guard when he engaged me. I opted instead to stay sitting up, knees bent, and attack his collar and head with my hands whilst maneuvering my legs in front of him when he attempted to pass. It worked quite well, for a time, but I had no sweeps to employ.

I do now, and I also have a better idea of what it is that I'm doing with this particular technique. Now I just have to drill the shit out of it, and step out of my current comfort zone and use it, when rolling.

And thank you for the encouraging words. I love this stuff.

I will be attending Fundamentals tomorrow, the Open Mat on Friday to drill and roll, and then the no-gi Open Mat on Saturday as well and go with it for a while. Provided I keep feeling good like I have been, and my resting heart rate and BP stay low/normal (which they should thanks to the fact that I'm lifting way light and not peaking for anything) I will continue with Jiu Jitsu 4 days a week.
WildGorillaMan wrote:$4000 bicycle. $300 shoes. $400 spandex.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:08 am

It was not the intention, but we let it all go
Well, it messed up the function and sure fucked up the flow
I hardly have people that I needed to know
'Cause you're the people that I wanted to know

POWERLIFTING

Squat
  • 55 x 10
    55 x 10
    105 x 10
    155 x 10
    155 x 10
Glute-Ham Raise
  • BW x 8
    BW x 8
    BW x 8
Squats felt a lot better doing them before rolling. BUT- got that pain in the top area of my left glute whilst sitting back with the weight. My actual spine felt fine. And I think I can combat that bullshit my continuing to take my walks during the way and immediately stretch the shit out of my hip flexors and my hamstrings right after. My boss is a bodybuilder and he completely understands what's up when he visits my cubicle and sees me on the floor stretching.

This was a good session also in the sense that I wasn't as badly gassed as last time. And my hamstring activation is improving during the accessory work as well. Gotta have good hammies.

This was a good session at the gym. Squatting light for reps ain't bad at all.

JIU JITSU

Kevin taught a great one tonight! He totally helped me correct the way I was fucking up my arm bar from guard. He re-capped the Butterfly Guard stuff we did on Tuesday and then added-in an introduction to the Pendulum Sweep, and how to transition into the arm bar should the opponent make that sweep difficult. I have been doing that arm bar completely wrong in the sense that I haven't been turing on the floor TO the opponent before swinging my leg up and around them. This was a huge improvement, and me and Ghost drilled the Hell out of that. Then Kevin showed up how to work a triangle out of it for a third option in case the opponent pulls his arm out before you get a good enough grip on it. It was great stuff.

Rolling was awesome. Successful Butterfly Sweep on Pig-Pen, into Full Mount. Over-all guard playing was much improved with him. Submitted Brandon with an arm bar, BUT that's not what was so great about that particular match. What made my match with Brandon so awesome was that he submitted me twice! He's a high schooler, he's rolled with me every chance he gets since we met at the school (we started at the same time) and every time, before class when he comes in he says to me "Kenny, this is the day, man. I'm feeling it, today is the day I'm gonna submit you!" and we laugh.

So anyway, this kid is coming at me like a bulldog. He was my last match of the night, and I was going bananas. So was he. Well, he'd made it passed my guard, got side control and he felt like he was doing his typical manner of trying to mount me, so I was thinking along those lines, turning into him, preparing to escape when POW! The kid caught me thinking wrong and put an Americana on me. That was sick! we set it back up, pounded fists and got back to it. I gave him a hard run for his money trying out keeping him in my Butterfly Guard, tried a few sweeps but he got his grips on my legs and did an excellent job getting them out of his way. He went right into knee on belly and from there, he began working a cross-collar choke and made it happen LIKE A BOSS. I made him work for it, and he knew it was legit. Nothing else I could have done. I tapped. We got set up again, I immediately blasted into him with my Bullfighter Fucked Up And Now He's Getting Gored By The Bull pass where I bowl him over, ram him into the mat with my head on his sternum, get my legs around and land in side control, mounted him and got my arm bar, after he put up a Hell of a fight. But even after he tapped, he was still grinning, ear to fucking ear. It was awesome. He's gonna keep coming back, keep getting better, and he's gonna seriously fuck some shit up. And I'll be right there along with him.

Awesome class.

God damn it I love coming home from a session feeling awesome. Not even drugs make you feel the way training does sometimes.

35% bodyfat.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:
God damn it I love coming home from a session feeling awesome. Not even drugs make you feel the way training does sometimes.
Respect.
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:37 am

So understand
Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years,
Face up... make your stand,
And realise you're living in the golden years.

JIU JITSU

My mind slowed down on the mat today, for the first time. I was rolling with Titan and I'd passed his guard, and had him in Side Control. I began to perform the maneuver he showed me last time- maintaining pressure on his body, maintaining pressure on his face with my shoulder to turn his head away from me and keep it there while "walking" my knees down toward his hips when I realized that it wasn't going to work, why it wasn't going to work, and in that moment my mind slowed down.

It wasn't going to work, because I didn't have an under-hook in his outside arm. I would not be able to Mount Titan in that moment without that under-hook...

...and everything slowed down, and I stopped blindly "trying to do the techniques" and began breaking the techniques down, to get them done.

Full Mount would be a big victory in a big war, but there are small battles which must be won, first. Side-Control was a little battle won. Keeping his head looking away from me with my shoulder, and maintaining good pressure on him and thus maintaining my Side-Control was another little battle won. But there was another- the under-hook. I intuited what I needed to do, in the moment, under all that pressure. I began fighting for the under-hook, little by little, "walking" my hand across the mat, under his arm, little bit by little bit and after 15 seconds or so, which seemed like forever, I had my under-hook, and also, my Gable Grip. Another little battle won. Next came the knee nearest to the hip, keep maintaining position, pressure, work that knee over and make sure to keep my foot out of the way of his legs. Knee hits the mat, foot follows. BOOM! Mount. A bigger victory.

I've never mounted Titan before.

Four more matches after that (Titan was my second of the night), and I fared well. I managed to pass my Coach's guard and get him in Knee on Belly, and I also successfully worked -but did not finish- the arm-bar from guard. Big Tim was not gonna let me fully extend his arm. I fought like hell for it, he definitely couldn't move, but the fight clock intervened. I didn't submit Big Tim, but I don't care about that- he's been smashing me the past few times we rolled together. Today I was able to get some confidence in seeing first-hand that yes, if you slow down your mind, break down the technique, it will work.

Good open mat tonight. No-Gi open mat first thing in the A.M.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:32 pm

No no-gi this morning. Got called into the office, bad emergency at work.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:23 am

We're pretty, pretty vacant

POWERLIFTING

Deadlift
  • 135 x 10
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    255 x 10
Chin-Ups
  • BW x 6
    BW x 6
    BW x 4
    BW x 6
    BW x 4
Back Raise
  • 40 x 8
    40 x 8
    40 x 8
Easy to do, didn't gas me too bad, easy to recover from! Great session all around, my Monday night training partner Joey ripped 545 off the platform for a triple as his top set and it was awesome. I felt great when I was leaving, stopped at Chipotle and crushed two burritos.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:31 am

Get pissed, destroy

JIU JITSU

I almost passed Iron Mike's guard tonight. Twice. That's huge. He's a bad motherfucker.

Also, mount escapes have improved as has my timing with the scissor sweep.

Professor Rodrigo will be here on Thursday, Friday and we're doing a graduation on Saturday, with a two hour seminar which Rodrigo will be putting on. I can't fucking wait.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:32 am

And by the way you look fantastic
In your boots of Chinese plastic

POWERLIFTING

Squats
  • 55 x 10
    55 x 10
    145 x 10
    195 x 10
    235 x 5
Glute-Ham Raise
  • BW x 12
    Bw x 12
    BW x 12
It's getting easier to squat for reps. I didn't know how many I'd do with 2 plates but my back was feeling good and the bar had been moving fast. 5 solid reps wasn't bad. Set at 195 was easy. Not a grinder at all.

JIU JITSU

Made an interesting discovery tonight- I can Stack Pass. Tried it out against Ryan, a big 250 lb. fella and it worked nicely. Incidentally, I'd been wanting to see how my mount escape would work against a larger guy. Tried that on him, too, and the timing was perfect, just after he'd mounted me, before he settled in I had his arm and foot trapped, rolled him right over. His guard was open, so I stacked him and crushed him into the mat as best I could, passed his guard and worked from there. Another series of small victories. What a fucking blessing.

Rolled T. He's a lot smaller. Stacked him too and finally escaped his triangle and got him Knee-On-Belly hard. He's been beating up on me for a while LOL I tried to make that Knee-On-Belly as miserable for him as possible, and did it pretty good- he couldn't escape but the damn buzzer went off before I could mount. FUCK! I helped him up, and we abled our way back over to the wall.

Professor Junqueira taught tonight too. It was awesome.

Open Mat tomorrow. Promotions on Saturday and more rolling.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:07 am

When the monkeys clap, you know you're fucked

JIU JITSU

Ricardo T. pinned my upper-body to the floor by crossing his shin over my throat and sitting down on it. He was trying to free my arm for an arm-bar and I was trying desperately not to let him have it. I had a pretty bad clostrophobic reaction while I was down there, shallow, fast panic breathing, anxiety, it was no bueno at all.

Good day though!

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:19 am

Bumba Bumba!

JIU JITSU
image.jpg
image.jpg (191.46 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
Here we all our, Team Junqueira, with Professor.

Today was a great day, we got a mini-seminar with Rodrigo, lots of rolling, and promotions were given out as well. I got two stripes, as did the other white belts who joined with me, in June/July. He said we're doing awesome.

I've never seen anybody "run the gauntlet" before. I didn't even know what that was...

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:42 am

What happened to Josie?

POWERLIFTING

Bench Press
  • 45 x 10
    45 x 10
    135 x 10
    135 x 10
    185 x 10
    195 x 10
I didn't feel like doing any more than this today. The last three days of Jiu Jitsu have left me a little smoked so I took 'er easy. Not a deload, just an easier work day. Felt good afterward.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 am

Yesterday's session...

POWERLIFTING

Deadlift
  • 135 x 10
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    275 x 10
Chin-Ups
  • BW x 6
    BW x 7
    BW x 8
    BW x 8
    BW x 8
Back Raise
  • BW x 20
    BW x 20
    BW x 20

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:34 am

Time doesn't know what it's time for us all to know

JIU JITSU

Worked on an interesting pass tonight. It's like the stack pass, but a little different- keep one elbow close to your hip, protected. Break their guard, and then thread your other arm under their leg while making your upper body nice and low. Get the bend of their knee on your shoulder next to your head, and take that same arm and grab their collar. Then put their knee that you have on their face, make your legs straight, up on the balls of your feet, and crush them there like that. Then walk your feet around for the pass, maintain pressure, and eventually it just kind of seems to happen. There you are, one knee in their hip (or lower back depending on how bad you crushed them), one knee in their shoulder. It's good stuff.

Rolled and did well. I'm not getting my ass handed to me as much, and the techniques are coming easier and easier. That's a blessing.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:10 am

Nothing strange as when it seems, you're living out all your worst possible dreams...

JIU JITSU

We did our office holiday party today. The VP took us all to lunch at Mike Ditka's restaurant. My 20 oz. ribeye cost 40 dollars, and there was an open bar. The VP kept calling the waiters over and they kept bringing me more Guinness.

I think I must have had like, 8 pints.

Hung out with everyone for a solid several hours after my last beer, eating cheesecake and drinking coffee before I grabbed my gi out of my car and hitched a ride with a buddy to Cranberry, to get to open mat.

Alcohol makes you slow down. A lot. Even when you think you're not drunk anymore. And your timing gets all fucked up too.

I got smashed in all 6 of the matches I rolled in. Bad. But I didn't barf.

Came home and made pancakes, and ate them with some fresh-made sugar came syrup my girl Kat down in Florida sent me.

Going to bed. Open mat no-gi first thing in the morning.

Rolling right after lots of beer is silly. Won't be doing that again.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:13 am

Crap. My buddy dropped me off at my place. He didn't take me to go get my car, guess we both forgot. Fuck. I'll take a taxi to get it tomorrow, then go to open mat.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:42 am

Generalissimo sets up shop, step outta' line, your neck's on the block

JIU JITSU

Open Mat this morning was awesome. Jake coached me through a few matches, helping me to better know when to rest and pay attention, and when to bump and escape, in certain situations. We began with the "Bump and fight for the first three seconds after he's mounted, then stop and pay attention to what he's doing and rest," philosophy and refined it from there. This is good, because I will be able to better know when to fight to get out of a bad spot, and also when, exactly to rest. I've been having trouble with that.

Also worked on setting up a Kimura from guard, and transitioning to triangle if that doesn't work, or also an arm-bar as a third option.

Good session today, definitely.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:51 am

I was a creature before I could stand

POWERLIFTING

Bench Press
  • 45 x 10
    45 x 10
    135 x 10
    135 x 10
    185 x 10
    185 x 10
    185 x 10
DB Bench Press
  • 55's x 10
    55's x 10
    55's x 10
    55's x 10
DB Flyes
  • 55's x 10
    55's x 10
    55's x 10
Close-Grip Floor Press
  • 135 x 8
    135 x 8
    135 x 8
KB Clean and Press
  • 24 kg. x 10
    24 kg. x 10
    24 kg. x 10
    24 kg. x 10
    24 kg. x 10
I wanted to up the volume a little bit in the interest of pursuing a new goal concurrent with increased work capacity- maximum jack. Same goes for the addition of the Flyes and the floor presses, and the KB clean and press for the shoulders. This session went great. Felt good when I was done.

35% bodyfat.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:14 am

Your training looks great, Ag. I find the BJJ very interesting as well.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:04 am

Thank you Mickey! :happiness:

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:01 am

I'm worst at what I do best and for this gift I feel blessed...

GETTIN' JACKED & TANNED

Deadlift
  • 135 x 10
    135 x 10
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    315 x 10
Chin-Ups
  • BW x 8
    BW x 10
    BW x 3
    BW x 5
    BW x 5
Lat Pull-Downs
  • 120 x 15
    120 x 15
    120 x 15
Back Raises
  • BW x 20
    BW X 20
    BW x 20
Assorted Curls to finish...

Coach called an audible, saying if I wanted to try 315 for 10, then I shouldn't do high reps for the 225 and 275 sets, and advised me to do strong sets of 5 instead and then go for it with 315. The whole top set felt awesome.

Did my chins and as-per usual they were mediocre, a few sets were great, others were completely weaksauce. Then did some pull-downs for some mass in the lats, and my back raises to pump up my spinal erectors and get them better-used to working hard, and also because doing them keeps my lower back from hurting due to my disc issue.

Did some curls to make my arms larger, and also because I've been fighting not to let opponents extend my arms, when they try an arm-bar on me. Keeping it flexed at the elbow tight, buys me so time and I've used that to work some good escapes. So we'll see if doing this helps with that.

I did a lot but I didn't annihilate anything. And I felt great as I was leaving, good, and hungry. I also decided that with all the stuff I'm doing it's okay if I gain a little weight, so 220 is the cap. So I went to Chipotle for burritos after the gym and it was awesome.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:03 am

keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel

JIU JITSU

Learned a bunch of new stuff during demos and drills, felt lime a complete retard on the mat while rolling and got my ass handed to me.

35% bodyfat.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:18 am

Great sessions. 315x10 is hoss. im liking this approach man.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Dunn wrote:Great sessions. 315x10 is hoss. im liking this approach man.
Thank you!! I'll tell you, it's working great! I feel better than I have in a long time, my lower-back feels great and having a much easier time on the mat, recovering between matches too! And I don't fe all beat to hell all the time (and my resting HR and also my BP are back to norm too!)

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:14 am

Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar.
You're gonna go far, you're gonna fly high,
You're never gonna die, you're gonna make it if you try; they're gonna love you.

POWERLIFTING
145 X 10
145 X 10
185 X 10
225 X 6
225 X 8

I was a half hour late getting to the gym because of rain traffic. I had to do my squat workout in 20 minutes so that I could leave on time to get to Jiu Jitsu. And I'm not happy at all with how this all shook out, except that my back didn't bother me, that was a blessing.

Anyway, I felt gassed by reps on that first set at 225. And that fucking sucks. And I don't mean that from a bullshit "Modal Domains!" point of view, either. I just mean that I'm a strapping young lad, I can pull 315 for 10, so why would two plates on the squat bar gas me?

So at Joey's urging I got back under it and banged out another set, faster, with a better rhythm and better breathing and for the first 6 reps it felt awesome. But then I lost it and paused. And shit started to catch up to me. The last two reps were solid but the tank was empty.

I'm going to try this again next week.

JIU JITSU

Neale and Anna came tonight to help out, so it was them and Coach Kevin and they got really detailed about X Passes and the standard-ops Torriendo Pass too and that was awesome because both of mine need serious help. Neale and Kevin broke it down for me and Nikki and that was cool because this was her third class, and she has a lot of the same issues with these passes as I do, as someone who's new(ish) to this stuff. Neale broke it down for us and it was revelatory.

I rolled Nikki tonight, too and that was cool. Kevin wanted me to show her some stuff, so when we hit the mat I passed her guard and got her in side-control, and put the pressure on her, and helped her frame me out properly- elbows close, NO bench pressing, get one wrist against my throat and keep the other in such a manner as to frame against my chest with her hand against her face to relieve a little of my shoulder pressure. Her frame felt good and I said "See, now you can breathe, and think" and she got it right away. At another point I wanted to see what working my Spider Guard against someone new would be like. She, like me, had NO concept of Jiu Jitsu when she first came in... I put her in Spider Guard and she immediately felt off-balance to me, so I swept her and mounted. Then we paused and I explained the proper mount escape and had her do it, with all my pressure on her and she did it textbook. We also worked on her keeping up her posture once she'd escaped my mount and I had her in my guard again. It was a good match and she pays attention and will do fine.

Great session all-around tonight.

35% bodyfat.