Enchiridion

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

odin
Sgt. Major

Enchiridion

Post by odin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:14 pm

Principles

-overall health > single minded excellence in a pet exercise. Most of the time. You're not an athlete so act in accordance with reality.

-process is more important than goal. Most of the time. Emphasise good form.

-practice and play is more important than grinding out numbers. Most of the time.

-Simpler is usually better, and subtraction usually better than addition. Training should be convenient, direct and sustainable.

Methods

-mobility and meditation as a daily practice

-KB's, BWE and some BB stuff for strength work

-running, rowing or cycling for heart health

-attention to diet, emphasising WFR in sensible amounts. Monthly fast thrown in for good measure.

Main goal right now is to keep showing up:

-do mobility, meditation and some form of exercise on a daily basis.
-'strength' train at least twice a week
-cardio at least twice a week
Last edited by odin on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

odin
Sgt. Major

Re: Enchiridion

Post by odin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:17 pm

26/10 - 6.00 am

1. mobility and meditation

2. 'yoga' routine A

3. KB warm up with 16kg
-halo's
-Goblet Squat
-RDL
-Swings
-windmills
-swings
-lunges
-swings

4. 3 rounds of:
-OACP - 24kg x 5/5
-Reverse Lunge - 24kg x 10/10
-OA Row - 24kg x 10/10

5. 4 rounds of:
-5 slow motion push ups
-Goblet Squat - 24kg x 10
-2H Swing - 32kg x 20

6. stretch then douse

later on walk down to the brewery to get some ales for tonight.... Fucking need them too.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:42 am

nothing yesterday as we had a house full of visitors....

28/10

1. JM & meditation

2. douse

3. walk

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:20 am

29/10 - sprints

1. JM & meditation

2. 10 min easy jog/run, then 6 x 150m with walk back recovery, then 15 min easy jog/run

3. stretch & douse

Trying to improve running format the moment - tendency is to fold at the waist and foot-slap the floor when tired.

swimming with the 2 year old later, probably wont be breaking any records though.

4. body flow stuff in evening - got a quick prasara-esque routine I've devised which seems to address most mobility needs I have. Takes about 10 mins so it's easy to tag onto most activities.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:57 pm

30/10 - lifting

1. JM & meditation

2. foam roller, mobility warm up

3. Power cleans - 60kg x 2x3, 70kg x 3 x 3, 80kg x 3 (superset with chins)

4. Squats - 40kg x 10, 80kg x 10, 100kg x 10, 110kg x 10 (superset with face pulls)

5. Bench - 70kg x 3 x 10 (superset with hammer curls)

6. weighted walks - various

Prob wont squat much in future. Never say never, but I think it takes more than it gives with my current goals.
This phase of training is really about experimenting and noting what is a keeper and what is for throwing away. As such it may be disjointed but hopefully will produce a decent longer term template/approach to build on the principles I noted in the first post...

Some movements I feel are of worth at the mo:
Power variants of the O-lifts
single limb work
high rep work - bw/kbs are obvious choices
suspension trainer/rings stuff
carries

Xian
Sarge

Post by Xian » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:27 pm

Nice posts/ideas as always Odin. Really liking the broad view and methodical approach you're taking. I hope you find a fulfilling template.
You said something like this awhile back: "I'm satisfied with the program and don't feel the need to change it. Which probably means that change is imminent"...that is a bitch of a truth right there.

What's your meditation these days? Sitting, breathing practice, standing etc.?
There is a vast difference between treating effects and adjusting the causes.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:19 am

Ha ha, yeah I remember writing that! I often tinker quite a bit when I don't have a specific goal. Ironically, these are probably the times when training is most important, as in reality the chief goal should always be to keep showing up for the benefit of my overall health.

Meditation practice has been pretty stable for a while now though; I changed to a simple sitting/mindfulness based one after the pranayama experiment in the summer, and it's bearing fruit. The aim is to get to the point of 'just sitting', (think you posted on this a while back) but at present I need to go through the gears a bit to get there - focusing on the breath, bodily sensations and then thoughts. It flows nicely and seems to be much more direct than my previous methods.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:30 pm

31/10 - cardio

1. JM & meditation

2. 30 mins on rower, 6850m completed, easy pace

3. stretch & foam roll

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:50 pm

01/11 - strength session

1. JM & meditation

2. mobility warm up & foam roll

3. Power snatch from hang - 40kg x 2 x 3, 50kg x 3 x 3

4. Power clean and push press - 50kg x 3, 60kg x 2 x 3, 70kg x 3, 60kg x 3

5. KB Bent press - 16kg x 5/5, 20kg x 5/5, 32kg x 5/5

6. One arm clean and jerk - 20kg x 3 x 10/10

7. Two Handed Swing - 32kg x 5 x 10

8. carry medley... various shit

later on did some stretching and yoga stuff.

I have really been over thinking everything with regards to training. I think a valuable thing to remember is that too much structure and a desperation to get the perfect program on paper almost always stunts progress and robs you of actually enjoying training.

Broad strokes are usually best, and overall principles tend to trump minute details. So a decent template may actually be something like; strength train, 3 times every 9 days, using compound movements incorporating unilateral work and approaching it as 'practice' as opposed to working out. Within that I can let mood, energy and time dictate the pace.

If further structure is needed, something like this would be a decent standard workout:
O-lift variant for sets of 1-3
Press variant for sets of 5-10
Lower body movement for sets of 5-20
unilateral, hinge and carry movements as needed.
Last edited by odin on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:01 am

02/11 - long interval

1. JM & meditation

2. easy jog for 10 mins, then 4 x 400m with walk back recover, easy 10 min jog to cool down

3. stretching & douse

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:04 pm

05/11 - strength

1. JM & Meditation

2. mobility warm up

3. Power snatch from hang - 40kg x 3, 50kg x 5 x 2

4. Power clean and push jerk - 50kg x 1+3, 60kg x 2 x 1+3, 70kg x 3 x 1+3

5. Bent press - 20kg x 2 x 5/5, 32kg x 5/5

6. KB Snatch - 20kg x 5 x 10/10

7. 2H Swing - 32kg x 4 x 15 (superset with some planks)

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:05 pm

06/11 - cardio

1. JM & meditation

2. mobility warm up then some KB walks, swings and squats

3. row - 30 mins, 7166m completed

4. stretch - 5:00

Katacombs
Sarge

Post by Katacombs » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:27 pm

odin, if you don't mind, what are you doing for mobility work?

Solid training.

All the best,
k.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:35 am

thanks for reading, and also for introducing a pic of an Innis & Gunn bottle into the topic - good shit.

I alternate two mobility routines at present. One is based on stuff I've seen in Sonnon's intu flow materials, alongside some Taiji warm ups I've been taught here and there, while the other is loosely based on Maxwell's daily dozen, plus a few more yogic type exercises added into the mix. I try and make both of these rountines breathing exercises above all else. I like them....

That said they haven't prevented me from pulling my fecking back today...

Planned on doing some KB work, but halfway through a warm up with the 16kg I pulled something doing cleans for reps.

Now I felt good this morning, and although the cleans were the straw, I think a few other factors must come into play here. Possibilities include general fatigue from this week, (worked fairly hard at a fire couple of days back, and carrying and dragging stuff there is always in an awkward position) or the inclusion of planks and side planks in the warm up. I may have pre-fatigued the core too much.

That said, as frustrating as this is, it necessarily make sup my mind as to what training I want to do for the next cycle! I don't think this is a serious injury, but it is a reminder that health is the first priority always. Will see how I feel tomorrow before making up my mind how to approach this, but definitely will be avoiding ballistics on the back for a week or so. I'm toying with just bodyweight plus loaded carries or other core stuff for a bit, but like I say, I'll wait and see what tomorrow brings before I make any decisions.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:29 pm

training cont...

lots of mobility today, then a 20 min nearly-barefoot run in the evening, using nose breathing to regulate intensity. Felt good actually.

Think for 3-4 weeks I'm going to do the above alternated with a simple bw routine. May add some suitcase carries in if the back heals promptly. I think these have great value in strengthening the back in the way I need it most.

Katacombs
Sarge

Post by Katacombs » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Maybe an I&G or five would help the back recovery? :drinkers:

Thanks for the info.
Heal fast.

K.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:42 am

ha ha, thanks! I may take yuor medicinal advice tonight actually...

10/11

1. JM & meditation

2. Squats - bw x 4 x 25

3. Reverse Lunges - bw x 5 x 10/10

4. Push ups - bw x 15-5-10-10-6-4

5. Rows - bw x 10-5-5-10-5-5-5-5

6. Trciep dips - bw x 25-25

7. supermans -bw x 25-20-10

8. strict crunches - bw x 25-25

9. Leg raises - bw x 10-15-10-15

10. calf raises - bwx 30-20-20-20-10

11. planks - side and front for 20 secs each

everything done very strictly, with 'proper' breathing observed. The aim is to make the movements have that 'yogic' type feel to them, even though the exercise choice is pretty basic PT stuff. No @-fit straining anyway. Once I can hit the target reps (100 or 50, depending on exercises) in 2 sets, (maybe 1 for things like tri dips which I find easy) I will either increase difficulty or add a weighted vest. This is how I first trained years ago, and I forgot that it's actually quite hard if you don't do it for a while.

Current goals are:

1. keep showing up
2. heal back & prevent reoccurence
3. lose 7lbs - get down to 12.5 stone

secondary interests are to improve barefoot running technique, and to assess if this is a stupid fad or something of merit. Initial exploration tends to the latter, providing you're not looking to nail a new PB.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Very nice, odin! You might be interested in these calisthenic workouts from the Caviston thread. I have enjoyed them quite a bit. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=222126&p=684525&hil ... pt#p684525

Honestly, I always feel best when doing cals and bodyweight stuff.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:47 pm

excellent, thanks very much for the heads up - I'll probably incorporate some of those, look good. Yeah, I always feel best doing this stuff, but then get diverted by some passing pseudo-athletic goal or other. I need to remember though that I have almost never injured myself doing bw stuff, and I also tend to lose bodyfat and start moving a shit-load better whenever I pursue this route for a decent period.

How's training going for you?

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:35 am

11/11 - rest

1. JM & meditation

2. walk with the family then too much wine with some friends in the afternoon.

12/11 - run

1. JM

2. 30 min trail run using the neoprene socks + nasal breathing.

3. stretch

4. meditation

5. douse

Did it all in a different order mostly because I had a bit of indigestion and a fuzzy head from yesterday, so the run was in order to get me back to normal.

Want to really focus on diet over the next few weeks. The basic framework is there, but I need to just apply a little more consistent discipline with it. I get away with stuff because I train but this strategy wont work as I go into my later 30's & 40's, so consolidating good habits now is a useful thing to do.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:19 pm

13/11 - rest

1. yoga & meditation

had a bit of a bug today so rested. May go for a walk later on but my joints are aching and I feel a bit shite so rest is the order of the day.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:34 pm

14/11 - rest

1. JM & meditation

bug still lingering, so dropped my son off at nursery and went back to bed for a couple of hours. A weak and pathetic man. Feeling better now though, so will ease back into things tomorrow.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Let's talk about some essential problems: about health, illnesses, experiment, the way to live.

First about "intensive physical regimen". There is no need to talk a lot about the "mode of restrictions and loading". My recommendations for everybody is the same:

- 30-45 minutes of physical exercises/1000-1500 movements [repititions]. 500 of those exercises [repititions] with 5 kg- dumb-bells
- one hour of intensive walking, but 2-3 km. jogging is still better.
- Very important to have command of one's mind: the number of illnesses provoked by stress is far larger than those provoked by other factors. (This piece of good advice is as much important as it is useless-it is being hardly followed ). In this respect, it is very good to learn auto-training or meditation.

I am sure, that if a heart is strong, intensive regimen would provide an active life up to 90 years.
A quote courtesy of xian's blog. These are Dr Amosov's recommendations for general health. Definitely worth posting here.

Xian
Sarge

Post by Xian » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:46 pm

'ello.
Glad you find it useful. It's a shame Pavel never got around to writing his book on Russian Health Practices and expanding on Amosov. He seemed to have some intriguing and simple ideas about health.
Do you have certain BW exercise template you are going to be using these coming weeks or are you going by feel?
There is a vast difference between treating effects and adjusting the causes.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Yes I agree re Amosov. I like his recommendations because they are holistic, (hate that word) but not needlessly esoteric. I was thinking that a lot of the training 'road-blocks' I run into is from seeking complicated solutions to simple problems. His approach is very moderate, (in terms of training intensity) though - and perhaps this is its strength. These days general fitness prescriptions seem to include high intensity, sport-derived training and fairly extreme and forced dietary prescriptions. I am increasingly thinking that people would be better off - health wise - from dropping the quasi-athlete identity that most trainees adopt and focusing on what they really need. That's not to say that sport, specific events or recreational hobbies don't have a place, but in the past I've lifted and sprinted like I was in training for the olympics, when I was really just spinning my wheels. Albeit quickly.

RE the template, it will be a work in progress, but something along the lines of the workout above.

Squat
Lunge
Push up
Row
tricep dip/layout
bicep movement
lower back movement
core movement
core movement
calf raises
Plank sequences to finish

I may incorporate some KB's or DB's for the bicep movements, and the rows depending on whether I work out at home or work. I think alternating this and some easy running, (still easing into the barefoot thing) should keep me honest all round.