Spontaneous Speed

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Spontaneous Speed

Post by baffled » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:00 am

If this log goes like my other attempts elsewhere, I may have three or four more entries left in me.

29, Short, not sure what the weight is, but I'm a bit lighter from the previous 173 lbs I was a few weeks back.

Monday 11-12
Lifting: Can't remember, heavy on the upper back
Swim: 45 minutes, Working the CSS. I keep hearing how its a great stroke to learn to bail yourself out if you get stuck having to swim a long way. Not sure when that may happen, but anything other than the usual puke fest I usually turn freestyle workouts into.

Wednesday 11-14
Pull Ups 15 (pr)-10-5 on the rock climbing grips. Regular pull ups PR is 26 I think. Different grip changes things a bit.
Rows and Rackpulls since my plan for the workout fell apart completely when the bros came in and fucked up the weight room.
Swim: 65 minutes. Breaststroke out, freestyle back. Not sure how far, but I'm kind of tired now.

If the lower leg bits feel alright, I'll go for my first run in ~10 days tomorrow morning.

No idea what my weight is.

Going to the aquarium on Friday for some reason. First time in probably 15 years or so. If you're reading this, you need to know these things.
Last edited by baffled on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:26 am, edited 11 times in total.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Re: High Arches Are A Curse, Not A Blessing

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:07 am

I love the aquarium and zoo. The atmosphere is great, my kids love it, and the soccer moms are freaking ridiculous.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:56 am

I'm pretty psyched. Kind of weird how I ended up going, but whatever, I'm all about fish and animals and shit.

11-15 Thursday
"Run" 28 minutes, 2.7 miles

Exactly what I wanted in terms of a slow, almost impossible to mess things up sort of pace. The loop I ran is exactly 2.7 miles.

If I feel good Saturday, I'll stretch it a touch further and go from there. Still try to swim and lift 3 days/week, with 3 runs until I can figure out what it is I'm doing.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:04 am

11-16 Friday
YRG 20 minutes in morning

Chase 2 year old around aquarium for 4 or 5 hours.

I don't know how people have kids and keep them. They're fucking exhausting.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:44 am

11-17 Saturday
Swim 45 minutes lost track of how far/how many laps but it was a fucking gut check. No time for lifting.

Can't tell what soreness in right lower leg is about, but if it's better tomorrow, a short and slow run in the morning will work.

Right ankle pronates a bit. Possibly related to weakness in hip? Not sure, but my cousin's finishing her Phd in PT this spring and said she might be able to see what's got my ankles so touchy lately.
- Benjamin Franklin

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:34 pm

baffled wrote:11-17 Saturday
Can't tell what soreness in right lower leg is about..........

Right ankle pronates a bit.

Good luck on that. I had the opposite issue of over-supination on both feet while running. Simple exercises like these have helped a friend of mine though.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/21295 ... exercises/

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks Dunn. I've been doing some of those exercises along with pen-penny.
- Benjamin Franklin

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:45 pm

baffled wrote:Thanks Dunn. I've been doing some of those exercises along with pen-penny.

Good deal. Just play it safe. You definitely don't want to end up with stress fractures or anything dumb that could have been prevented.

Good luck homie.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:10 am

Thanks Dunn. It's weird to think that a few years ago, I wouldn't think twice about ramping up a running plan, and now I'm all conservative and keeping an eye on longevity and safety.

11-19 Monday
Run 3.4 miles in 33 and change.

Good pace, nothing really seemed to hurt, but I do see to "feel" things in the posterior tibialis on my right leg.

Various BWE, some Hindu Wrestler bullshit etc.

Hoping to fit a swim tomorrow.
- Benjamin Franklin

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:58 am

baffled wrote:Thanks Dunn. It's weird to think that a few years ago, I wouldn't think twice about ramping up a running plan, and now I'm all conservative and keeping an eye on longevity and safety.
I've learned this lesson with everything I do in my training. I'm either not doing shit or I'm all in and I end up crushing myself in 3 to 6 weeks. Funny how common sense gets stronger as you get older.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:08 am

Ed Zachary wrote:
baffled wrote:Thanks Dunn. It's weird to think that a few years ago, I wouldn't think twice about ramping up a running plan, and now I'm all conservative and keeping an eye on longevity and safety.
I've learned this lesson with everything I do in my training. I'm either not doing shit or I'm all in and I end up crushing myself in 3 to 6 weeks. Funny how common sense gets stronger as you get older.
There's a decent chance my next run will end up 10+ miles and I'll puke halfway through.
- Benjamin Franklin

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:14 am

That's why you train smart. So the stupid is more fun.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:34 am

Circle of life or something. Do something incredibly stupid, throttle back... get confident, ratchet up the stupid again, throttle back, hope the smart stuff will prevent an injury when you (I) get stupid again. Just trying to spend more time being smart-ish.

We can't all be Maffetone level disciplined.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:57 am

This log should be called 5 steps back, 1 step forward. Or some such bullshit.

11-26-2012 Monday

Couch to 5k day 1

3 sets of near failure pushups.

Whatever. I keep getting through a pretty okay run once, then end up with pain on the next runs later in the week.

Maybe if I do something really easy like this, I'll re-condition myself to the pounding of road running. My CV conditioning is pretty solid from all the swimming and past running, so these workouts are stupid easy, but maybe what the feet, ankles and knees need.

If I can sneak in a couple swims and one or two wide-ish stance squat and upper back workouts, I should be pretty well set.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:05 am

11-27
Squat up to a few comfortable doubles... I don't want to talk about numbers
Pull Ups 3 sets of 12, easy
Dips 30, 25
Rows 4 sets of 8

Swim
35 minutes, battled foot cramps the whole time. Just tried to get through it.

Legs had plenty of strength, but when you haven't squatted in many moons.... fuct.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:25 am

11-28

Couch to 5k day 2.. Nothing to report

KB faggotry, stretching, scream at myself in the mirror a la Benini, but no burning myself
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:57 am

11-29
Squats
Pull ups
Cable Rows
Pulls to Face

Swim 30 minutes
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:13 am

11-30

Couch to 5k day 3 in a downpour only those in the PNW could truly appreciate. Turned into more of a hard interval session. Not really how it's supposed to go, but no ankle issues, so I went ahead and pushed a little harder.

Still not exactly a hard or impressive workout, but better.

edit:
RKC armbars and shit to open up the shoulders. A few TGUs and assorted kettlekweer stuff
- Benjamin Franklin

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:35 pm

baffled wrote:11-30

Couch to 5k day 3 in a downpour only those in the PNW could truly appreciate. Turned into more of a hard interval session. Not really how it's supposed to go, but no ankle issues, so I went ahead and pushed a little harder.

Did this with the wife earlier this year as a supplement to my GS. At no point was it ever really hard. Even my wife was surprised at the end of the program. The way it is set up, your mileage will grow without too much dogging it out. I have heard that the 10k variant is can beat you up a little more.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:48 pm

Dunn wrote:
baffled wrote:11-30

Did this with the wife earlier this year as a supplement to my GS. At no point was it ever really hard. Even my wife was surprised at the end of the program. The way it is set up, your mileage will grow without too much dogging it out. I have heard that the 10k variant is can beat you up a little more.
I looked at the 10k option and it actually does look like a bit of a blowout.

I was going to do it, but since I keep getting these little injuries, I went with this to build up to the impact of road running. It's weird since my CV conditioning is more in line with 10k+, but my legs just won't take it at the moment.

Baby steps I guess.
- Benjamin Franklin

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Ed Zachary wrote:
Ditto. Best rule of thumb I ever learned was to increase load or volume by no more that 10% of your baseline and then wait 2 weeks to see if things start hurting or you feel drained or wasted. If problems, drop back to original baseline, wait 2 weeks, then try again.

Being over 50 is definitely crossing the Rubicon - it's almost impossible to be conservative enough about trying new things or increasing your load or volume.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:51 am

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:
Ed Zachary wrote:
Ditto. Best rule of thumb I ever learned was to increase load or volume by no more that 10% of your baseline and then wait 2 weeks to see if things start hurting or you feel drained or wasted. If problems, drop back to original baseline, wait 2 weeks, then try again.

Being over 50 is definitely crossing the Rubicon - it's almost impossible to be conservative enough about trying new things or increasing your load or volume.
The thing that pisses me off is that I'm only 29. Even though I haven't put in competitive runner sorts of mileage, I figured that I would be fine. Started "reconditioning" about 9 months ago in an effort to get my weight sub 160 by early spring so I could make a run to get in the ring once more before I turn 30. I'm a reasonably lean 170 and have always swam, krazyballed or done a fair bit of hiking, so running didn't seem to be a big deal.

It's been a big deal.

Has to be the desk that's made me a little fragile.

Or I'm a vagina.

Either way, I've fit in a couple swims this week, taking the night in tonight to work, and plan on swimming tomorrow so I can push the CV work a bit while I build up with this Couch to 5K crap.

Thanks for reading nigs. Much appreciated.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:56 am

12-3

Couch to 5k, 90 seconds on, 2 minute walk, I think.

Ran into an old neighbor who's living in the area again. Talked for about 15 minutes, then realized I was late to be somewhere, so I booked it home. Ran about a 7:30 mile to get home. Not flying, but didn't blow up and nothing seems to hurt, so that's good.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:47 am

12-5 Wednesday

Couch to 5k shit. Downpour started during my cool down walk, had to book it home.

KB arm bars, half tgu, C&P, pull ups, wrestlers bridges and assorted bullshit
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:04 am

12-6

Was about to get angry. I rarely ever get angry.

Went for a run. No time for a swim, but shit was pissing me off, so I took off.

Good run. Kettlekrazy dicking around after for a while.
- Benjamin Franklin