Spontaneous Speed

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: I'm An Idiot

Post by baffled » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:14 am

7-24
2 mile warm up
3 x 1 mile @ 7:43 or less, 2 minute rest
1 mile cool down

Spent about 30 minutes in the weight room. Did some hip and ham stuff at home after working in the yard for ~90 minutes after I got home.

Slow work all around on the side job and main gig. No worries since I know things are going to pick up here again pretty soon and I'm pretty good on setting a nest egg. Extra time to get my place in order and do some other random shit.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:05 am

7-25
6 miles @ 9:22 pace.

Surprisingly tired today. The workout wasn't really that tough, but we've got near record heat today and the yard work yesterday was in 100 degree heat, too.

I've been good about doing goofy pre-hab/PT hip and ham stuff and the knees and even shins have felt quite a bit better for it.

Every run this week on a treadmill, BTW. The heat's been brutal after ~7:30 am each day.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:40 pm

7-27
2 mile warm up
2 x 4" @ 7:03, 6:55 pace w/ 3" rest
2 x 3" @ 6:58, 7:03 w/ 2" rest

2.5 miles warm down

W/ distance covered in recovery intervals, and work intervals, clocked a shade over 7.5 miles

Good session and a good week overall.

4 miles in the morning tomorrow on my b-day, then head to the surgery center to keep my mom company while my dad has a minor procedure and out to Thai food in the evening.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:00 pm

7-28
31 today. Feels a lot like 30, which felt quite a bit like 29....

4 miles at a 9:06 pace. First mile was at 9:51 while I stopped to address my knee.

Pace felt fine if not for the 90 degree heat. Didn't want to run indoors on a treadmill again.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:38 pm

7-29
~40 minutes in the weight room with hip and ham stuff at home.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:06 am

7-30
2 miles
3 x 1 mile @ 7:35 pace
Abbreviated cool down w/ ~1 mile walk.

Was supposed to be 1 x 3 @ 7:40, but I had some technical issues with my shoes that made a sustained 22 and change effort problematic.

Addressing some stuff with my lacing and insoles tonight w/ 4 miles planned for the morning.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:58 am

7-31
4 miles at an ~8:40 pace

Strong today, and the shoe issues were pretty much resolved. I think.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:03 am

8-1
~35 minutes in the weight room

~3/4 of a mile, then the shoe/foot stuff came around.

Swapped a few pieces (foot beds, stability wedge from my Altras) around, re-laced and am hoping that'll get it resolved.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:03 am

8-2
2 mile warm up
2 x 3" @ 7:08, 7:03 w/ 2" rest
4 x 2" @ 6:58 w/ 1" rest
1.5 mile cool down

Shoe was as close to perfect as it'll ever be.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:22 am

8-4
6.4 miles @ 8:53/mile

Suddenly we had a high of, I think, 82 today. Early evening run was surprisingly pleasant as far as the weather went.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:26 pm

8-5
Short 1.7 miles to shake out

Have a slight, non-issue sort of tweak in my right lower leg.

Unscheduled day off makes sense to be sure that it doesn't turn into "something"
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:13 pm

8-8
4.3 miles

Spent a little time on the grass. Feels like a slight strain in the post. tib. Still didn't feel right yesterday, so I rested again, light stretching and some easy exercises.

Today, woke up feeling fine. Most of my run was decidedly "meh". Adjusting stride rate, foot placement etc took a lot of my focus.

Surprisingly, a faster cadence seemed to be the biggest factor in feeling good all around. I've noticed that it's been crucial in reducing shin discomfort and splints, but didn't expect it to play as much of a role in mitigating tissue discomfort in the back side of my lower leg.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Just so it doesn't get buried:
1) I'm still not sure I ever properly recovered from the near half marathon effort from a month or so back. I'm not so concerned with that type of effort in the greater context of things as I am with not paying enough attention to recovery after longer/harder efforts.

When I do pay attention to post workout recovery, I noticed a big difference. This includes the broscience carbs/protein etc stuff. It kinda made sense when I was a little younger, but now that I'm in my early 30's, I notice a major difference. Not so much WRT strength training.

In hindsight, I should have taken a down week with a day or two of a warm up, 4-8 striders, and a warm down. Easy 3-5 mile runs afterwards.

I want to do the Bay Area Half Marathon series starting with the half in Livermore in March, but I'll need to be a hell of a lot smarter than I've been lately. I can handle higher mileage/time on my feet, but just going and going stops being productive without a more definitive direction.

2) The hard-easy approach has more and more appeal to me now at 31 than it ever would have at 21. Both hard week -->> easy week, and in the smaller context of harder days followed by easier days. A hard day may be 10-15 miles, or an interval/repetiton/tempo day. Easy days being a 3-5 mile shakeout with a real easy pace. Have a strong feeling I could dramatically bring my average weekly mileage up by waving things a bit more.

Pretty sure the hard-easy approach was a hallmark of Bowerman at Oregon back in the day. Daniels and other coaches all seem to have a riff on this approach too. Probably should have paid more attention to that. Perhaps a good argument in favor of mileage instead of time, like I ran up until the last 5 or so weeks leading up to this race.

3) Not sure I'll actually run the race at this point. Getting a little dinged up this week, outside of my usual shin discomfort, was probably a good thing and forced me to back off a little. I need to pay attention to form more than I normally do, and I need to address some weaknesses in my hips, feet and ankles.

Trying to get away from wearing the arch supports which became a convenient band-aid in lieu of correcting alignment and addressing weaknesses.

For the next few weeks, I'll run as often as I can on trails and a grass field. If I do run the race, I'll probably just run it for the experience and not worry about my time this time around.
- Benjamin Franklin

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:31 pm

Trust yourself. If you think you haven;t recovered you haven't. and idea* for recovery...try a couple weeks of alternating easy/fun. Fun weeks are about just feeling your speed like a kid, little burst of speed, then jog along, Just Play it...we used to do this after stage races...have a whole ride dedicated to showing off.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:30 am

Fuck that weak ass shit! Go hard or go home! What are you a slack jawed faggot or big dick playa?

But yeah in all seriousness ease up and have fun. If it ain't fun and enjoyable why are you doing it?

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Trust yourself. If you think you haven;t recovered you haven't. and idea* for recovery...try a couple weeks of alternating easy/fun. Fun weeks are about just feeling your speed like a kid, little burst of speed, then jog along, Just Play it...we used to do this after stage races...have a whole ride dedicated to showing off.
Yeah, what's weird is that I feel like had I done things just a little different in the 3 or so days after, I would be fine. At this point, 8-12 mile long runs shouldn't be a major issue.

I'm definitely with you on the easy/fun stuff. That's how we spent most of our time doing roadwork pre-season for rugby, and how most of it was done at the boxing gym. Cruise around, pick it up.... unstructured Fartlek before I knew what any of that was.
Ed Zachary wrote:Fuck that weak ass shit! Go hard or go home! What are you a slack jawed faggot or big dick playa?

But yeah in all seriousness ease up and have fun. If it ain't fun and enjoyable why are you doing it?
Truth.

I enjoy the pain, if I'm being honest. But, on those workouts when my stride has been fast and I've clocked paces in the 7's, with speed pickups down into the 5's.... there's nothing quite like running (relatively) fast.

Thanks for the comments, gents.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:00 am

8-11
Weights. Didn't do any strength work other than for the hips and post. tib + heel drops last week.

30 minutes on the grass.

Felt mostly good. Definitely think I'll need to stick to softer surfaces for at least a few runs, and won't go much over 30 minutes.

From everything I can tell, whether it's a plantaris, post. tib, or achilles tweak, as long as you can do heel raises without pain, you're good to work lightly.

I can do heel raises without pain, so I'm working lightly.

Working on cleaning up my stride a bit...
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:34 am

8-12
Heel drops

Hip hikes
Donkey kicks
Hip thrusts
Clams

Plenty of hip flexor stretching throughout the day.

Achilles seems to be a non issue. Tib. posterior still a little hinky feeling. Light work tomorrow, probably skip Thursday, light work Friday, reevaluate from there.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:51 pm

8-13
3.4 miles at ~9:40 pace

Easy run around my neighborhood. Everything felt pretty good. A little soreness in the area I thought may be troublesome, but I also realized I've been doing a shit load of heel drops every day.

Whole leg, tib posterior, etc thing has had me a bit confused. Guessing I was in a little deeper hole than I'd thought.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:22 pm

8-20
Tried to run on Sunday, and had a lot of discomfort @ ~ 1.2 miles

Talked to my cousin a little, got an idea on some things.

Feel pretty good today, and had to run a little from point to point at work and was fine, but a little sore last night.

Off today, and hopped up and down to the pull up bar.

Rowed 5k at a pretty leisurely 23 and change pace.

Heart and lungs barely felt it, but the pulling muscles were a little sore from Monday.

No way I'm running next week, even if I can log some treadmill miles.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:28 am

8-21
1.5 on the treadmill, 0% grade. 9:22 pace felt sloooooow.

Switching the footwear out to my 12mm drop Brooks Racer ST5

Hit the rower for 3km and went home.

Didn't sleep well. At all. But the lungs and heart are barely feeling the work I've actually gotten done the last few days.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:26 am

8-22
3 miles total
.5 walk to loosen up
2 miles each at sub 9:05 pace (not exactly bragging)
.5 to warm down

Felt good. Not even tightness, but I can just "feel" some stuff around my ankle. The more I landed mid-foot, the better. Even with a mild heel strike, I feel like I had a little extra eversion happening.

Planning on treadmill running again tomorrow.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:15 am

8-23
2.7 miles

Total of 4 with but of walking.

Getting better and seem to be holding up well.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:32 pm

8-24
Spent some time in the weight room.

Kept it all reppy.

Hip complex and some nonsense for the lower leg bits.

Soleus was beat up and I couldn't bring myself to hop on a bike or elliptical. As much as the treadmill sucks, it's better than those two pieces.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:54 pm

8-25
Ended up with an unexpected day off, so I stuck around the house.

Lower leg still pretty sore. Did some voodoo flossing last night and today. Feeling much better, and I can't remember why I ever took it out of my toolbox.

Basic hip stuff: clams, donkey kicks, bridges etc

Ended up moving the lower leg stuff to today trying to be somewhat smart/conservative.
- Benjamin Franklin