Spontaneous Speed

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: I'm An Idiot

Post by baffled » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:08 pm

8-26
Short day work-wise

3.2 miles w/ .5 mile relax

Worked in the GoRuns today. 4mm heel drop. In the slightly higher heel, a small heel strike was still tough to avoid. Midfoot landing seems to be better from landing to push-off.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:04 am

8-27-14
3.2 miles

Felt a slight tug to the right, sort of underneath my achilles. I was feeling great to that point, but bagged it.

Did ~2 hours of yard work since I'm going out of town tomorrow morning/early afternoon and won't be back til Sunday night.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:55 am

8-29
Did some running earlier in the week. Maybe 12 miles or so.

Got a hotelfit workout.

Ran ~4.2 pretty easy at 8:30-8:45, then ran 1.5 on some PFT the treadmill had in 10 and change.

Felt good, got almost 2 full days in Disneyland with the family and some cousins.

Caught a cold last night that I noticed coming on during the drive home.

Not bad, but enough to make me pump the breaks and address the stress I've not been dealing with.

Hadn't been sick in almost 2 years...
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:29 am

9-5-14
1.5 mile walk with my Dad.

Did some mobility stuff.

Sick as a dog, which cost me many hundreds of dollars this week. Don't think this was the flu, but about as bad a cold as I've had in the last few years.

Ran a fever until last night.

I don't usually get the mild stuff. I get hammered when my system is cooked from fatigue and combined types of stress.

Good and bad news is that I'll have side work for something like 25 of the next 30 days starting Monday.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:59 am

9-6-14
Another 1.5 mile walk.

2 x 5
Push ups
Body rows
Single leg squats (no pistols)

And I'm cooked.

Still feel like nuclear garbage, but I know I have to get moving here or I'll get flattened come Monday.

At the point where the more I move, the better I'll feel, quicker.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:06 am

9-11-14
3.4 mile run in 29 flat

Felt pretty good. Had the expected chest burning, legs aching kind of feeling, but considering getting slammed with some rough days at work, I'm not upset.

Still can't believe how much of a difference getting rid of the insoles has made in the way my shoes ride. I'm such an idiot it hurts sometimes.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:39 pm

9-13
3.83 miles at 8:50

Got out @ 7:30 when it was still in the mid 60's.

Going to take a little while til I can get more accurate times. Ears are still congested. Lungs felt pretty good, but everything just felt a little heavy.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: I Just Fartlek'd

Post by baffled » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:02 pm

9-14-14

Stopped for ~3 minutes to talk to an old family friend who's living in the area now.

Had a little lower leg discomfort to start, but it loosened and feels fine now.

Before the stop I was running ~9:05 and it felt like a recovery pace.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:28 am

9-16-14
4.05 miles
8:36
8:28
8:39
8:58

Last mile included a hill and going through 2 gates. Still recovering a bit from not running as much leading into the last week of August and then being so sick the week before last.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:20 am

9-17 + 9-18
Nada but hip and "core" + Active Isolated Stretching

Had a little shin stuff and the soft tissue stuff on the right leg seemed to kick up a little. Also got up at 0300 and was awake for ~20 hours) 3 times this week, so a little unplanned rest seemed smart.

Especially after that virus I had.

9-19
Squat
Bench
Stiff leg deficit dead
Face pulls
Gunz

I need to make better room for at least one legitimate strength session + lower level general stuff on other days. The lower level stuff works well for warmups, cool downs and don't take anything out of me, but do seem to have quite a bit of value.

Pretty sure I'll be avoiding any real running workouts for the next two weeks. I'll be running, but any actual workouts (ie, planned speed work) need to be shelved til things quiet down a little again.

I'll probably still get spontaneous speed each run, but the goal is to bank 25+ miles and feel good.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Spontaneous Speed

Post by baffled » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:23 pm

9-20-14
3.8 mile run

4 striders

Ran mostly at a pretty relaxed ~9 minute pace except intersections. Used those to pick up for a few seconds at a time.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:08 pm

9-21
Lower leg tissues weren't feeling good this morning. Skipped the run.

Have a weird popping just to the inside of my achilles, right in-line with the medial malleolus. Weird. Doesn't hurt at all about 95% of the time. Every once in a while, it feels like it catches a little more and hurts just a touch.

Felt fine later, so did the leg circuit on this page x 3: http://www.coachjayjohnson.com/2009/02/ ... g-circuit/
20 x lunge with a twist
20 x bodyweight squat (1/2)
40 x step up
5 x rocket jump

Then followed with this. Surprised I could make it all the way though.

Flexibility later.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:34 am

9-22
Actually had a good day work-wise. Still chose to push any running to tomorrow.

Easy leg circuit x 3 - same as yesterday, but more time between sets

Foot drills
Toe curls with a towel x 10 forward, 5 pronation, 5 supination
Calf raises x 10 straight on, toes in, toes out

Been going with Active Isolated Flexibility and feeling better in some spots I couldn't seem to get to loosen up. Hoping some of that will carry over and I can get these minor, very annoying tweaks to lessen. Or even stop.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:52 am

9-24
Had a rough, fatiguing week so far. Pushed off any running due to a little weirdness in the lower leg. Probably psychosomatic at this point, if'n I'm being honest.

Today:
37 minute run. Don't know how far, because I got chased by two fucking dogs and went off my route by quite a bit. Got a good sprint in though.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:39 am

9-25
30 minute out and back

Had a little discomfort, but loosened up right as I started back.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:48 am

9-28
Did nothing but form drills the last two days + strengthening stuff

Today

3 miles
Leg Circuit x 3 w/ no rest. Add on a round on Tuesday'ish

Felt good.

Hoping to feel good in the morning. Have two free days before a really tough 30 days. I'd like to fit in 2 more really nice and relaxing runs before that nonsense starts up.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:46 pm

9-29
Went 4.75 miles in my Pearl Izumi N0's

Had these for like 2 months, but didn't feel well enough to get them into the rotation. Did a lot of exploring, which included a fair amount of walking.

Found a stray dog that didn't chase me, so I got a look at her collar and got her to run to her home with me. Thankfully the owners were home.

Definitely not 100% on this lower leg stuff, but I noticed a few things.
1) I've been trying to incorporate some running cues. More I get a natural lean from the ankles, minimize anterior tilt in the hips/pelvis, and oddly enough, the better my leg swing back, the better everything feels.
2) Ideally, I would have only covered this distance in the GoRuns. Using a barely worn shoe with a slightly hinky lower leg isn't ideal.
3) The N0's feel like a very fast shoe.

edit x2: I try to do this at least every other day:
http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

Not sure If I'd logged it before and I'm too lazy to use the scroll wheel.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:05 pm

9-30
A shade less than 4 miles

Shins started throbbing at mile 1. Cooled off at mile 2.5 or so.

Back sore from yard work yesterday, and just an unpleasant run.

Myrtl + Core H as cool down.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:58 pm

10-3
1.5 in an old pair of ultra minimalist, but not toe shoes on the treadmill

Weights

10-4
2.25 in the Brooks Racer ST-5's on the treadmill again

Done a lot of form drills, and the higher heel of the Brooks wasn't a problem at all. good footstrike and no lower leg bits were problematic.

Did some calf raises after.

Have a tentative job offer that's been keeping me awake. Would require going back to school, but I'd work while I did that. A lot of moving parts I'd have to see if I could coordinate...
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:59 pm

10-5
3.3 miles on the random treadmill setting

Calves pretty sore from an improved footstrike + the calf raises I did after.

I do a lot of calf work with my bodyweight, but rarely do I use the standing or seated raise machines at the gym. Long day tomorrow, and a lot of prep work I have to do today, so... sayonara for a day or two, bitches.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:59 am

10-8
Lots of work kept me late yesterday, on 10-7

Managed to get a Hal Higdon type of tempo run on the treadmill.
10 minutes on the way up
10 minutes at a 7:20'ish pace (surprised there)
10 minutes on the way down
5 minutes of walking

Felt much better about everything after I was done.

Did the Myrtl and Core X routines, which have me feeling pretty good hip, low back etc wise.

I love this one:
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:59 pm

10-9
Can't remember exactly, but ~40 minutes

10-10
Nada, 3 hours sleep, long day, ate and went to sleep for 3 hours before waking up for a couple and sleeping again.

10-11
1-2-3-2-1 Fartlek on the treadmill

15 minute warm up going from 9:15 to 8:15 or so....

1 minute @ 6:44, 1 minute @ 9:04
2 minutes @ 7:00, 2 minutes @ 9:04
3 minutes @ 7:15, 3 minutes @ 9:04
2 minutes @ 7:00, 2 minutes @ 9:04
1 minute @ 6:44, ~15 minutes @ 8:20'ish

Can't remember total distance, but it served as both a long run and a workout today.

looking for an easy 3 or so and weight session. Have the day off tomorrow, so I can push it a bit this weekend and still hopefully recover well with a little extra sleep.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:37 am

10-12
3.4 miles at a relax 8:30 pace

Did an extra 10 minutes of walking.

Did the Gambetta leg circuit x 3 after along with the Myrtle routine that I do almost everyday.

Have the day off tomorrow, but have a lot of work to get done so I don't lose my mind this week...
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:04 am

10-14
Off yesterday due to a bout of "busy as shit" syndrome.

Just under 5 miles working up a 2 or 3 minutes at a time to 6:44 for 3 minutes. That feels like just past a solid tempo pace. Have to readjust some things on my pacing. With the minor lower leg health issues, I wouldn't expect my conditioning to feel as good as it seems to be. Not like that's killin' it, but I'll take it.

10-15
Just under 4 miles at an ~8:25.

Gambetta leg circuit x 3 with zero rest between exercises and 60 between circuits

Myrtle and a quick ab and lower back run through.

A lot of bros at the gym, making it tough to get into the weight room.

edited to fix the date to 10-15
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:39 am

10-16
2.6 @ 8:45

Legs actually felt really fresh, but my calves suddenly had enough at the 2 mile mark. Weird. I continued on to see if it was just a little lactic acid, but I figured out pretty quickly I was headed towards an actual injury.

I've had enough of those, so I stopped.

Soaked, a little SMR, light stretching. We'll see about tomorrow. Long, long day tomorrow, but I want to at least lift since it'll be 2 weeks outside of the weight room.
- Benjamin Franklin