Punch The Clock - Now With IF and Barefoot Training

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Abandoned by Wolves

Punch The Clock - Now With IF and Barefoot Training

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:05 am

I worked at Convict Conditioning for 9 months and made some progress. I can now do work sets of 30 or so for all the variations I chose for the Big Six (actually 5, since I don't do HS pushups yet) and some of the Strong Man Yoga and calf work from CC II. As time went on, I added more and more stuff from the Five Tibetans, Maxwell's mobility stuff, Xing Yi Nei Gong and Jumpstretch and walking reasonably long distances.

I'm ready for a change. Or a consolidation.

I ordered Maxwell's "Kettlebell Conditioning System" and looked through it and decided "Yeah, I want to do some of this."

I still will do the CC stuff several times a week - the exercises are good stuff and make a decent recharge. I will add reps and difficulty at a very relaxed frequency - if an exercise variation and volume is still relatively easy after 8 sessions, it's time to move up.

Now: I like Dan John's "Punch The Clock" concept. I also like the idea of "Moving Forward Method" from "Joe X". Maxwell has an 8 week conditioning program calling for 4 workouts a week. I will spend a couple of months getting ready for it by doing his upper and lower body Kbell warmups and a few of the 8 "Specialty" routines, mostly "Laying A Foundation" and "Mobility and Core Strength" and maybe the "Lung Opener" 4-5 times a week, and starting out very easy indeed. I may also do John's "The Warmup Is the Workout" stuff, since it incorporates loaded carries and some other good stuff.

In a few months, when I have more time and energy to focus on it, will do the 8 week routine, probably with 2x1 poods. Then I'll take a break, work on BWE for several weeks pretty hard, and then come back and do the same thing again with a marginally heavier birdball.

I'll also try to walk a reasonable distance at least 4-5 times a week and keep up the Jumpstretch stuff, plus enough breathing stuff and light stretching to keep tension and anxiety levels at bay.

The "Laying a Foundation" routine incorporates most of the DJ "Humane Burpee", so that dovetails nicely.

Saturday I did the "Laying the Foundation" routine with a 25 lb birdball at half the number of recommended reps, preceded by band work, mobility stuff, and pushups, leg raises, spine rolls, and bridges for sets of 30. 45 minutes

Today I did the "Mobility, Strength and Core" circuit twice (instead of 5 times), preceded by the complete upper and lower body kbell warmups and some Xing Yi Nei Gong stuff. 45 minutes.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Abandoned by Wolves

Re: Punch The Clock (Moving Forward Method II)

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Sunday Dec 9th: Maxwell's Universal Mobility Routine, 30 pushups, bridges, leg lifts and spinal rolls, plus extra time with the Jumpstretch bands for my shoulders. About 50 minutes.

Monday Dec 10th:

Mobility warmup combining Maxwell's material and some XYNG stuff, 20 minutes.

Maxwell's "Laying the Foundation" routine with a 25 lb kettlebell, 8 reps. 3x8 Regular pushups at the end of each Swing/Goblet Squat Cycle, sort of an improvised "Humane Burpee". 20 minutes

Butterflied a couple of pork tenderloins, rubbed them with salt, pepper, dry sage and garlic powder, browned in a cast iron skillet and roasted in the oven at 425 F for 20 minutes. Threw a bag of precut broccoli, carrots and cauliflower on a foil lined baking sheet and tossed with oil and salt and roasted on the 2nd oven rack, then tossed with grated Parmesan and paprika and a bit of Worchestershire sauce for a side dish.

I'd feel smug about the ease with which this came together, but my wife developed an upset stomach in the middle of the night - probably the creeping crud that's been going around, but this does give me pause.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:40 am

Tuesday Dec 12th:

Warm up with the Maxwell Upper and Lower Body birdball series, adding a bit of resistance band stuff for creaky left shoulder: 15 minutes.

Maxwell "Mobility and Core Strength" circuit twice with 25 lb crazyball:

Reverse Lunge 8 reps each side + Overhead Squat 3 reps each
Windmills 5 reps each side + Reverse TGU 1 rep each side
Renegade Row 8 reps each side + Cossace squats 5 reps each side

30 minute walk outside to "normalize".

Barely felt like I was doing anything ("Perceived Effort" was low), which was the point of starting out easy, but my pulse rate was in the 120s by the time I finished. I think that's the way to do it for now.

Got a fucking 70% on the Master practice exam for Network+ - Goddamn, I'm sliding backwards. Well, back at it, I guess.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:25 pm

Are the cossack squats done with the kb or just bodyweight?

Your plan looks nice. There are a few dvds and downloadable videos of Maxwell's I want to get. Good stuff.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Mickey - I do the cossacks with a relatively light kettlebell. I also try to do the "tactical frog" and "windshield wiper" joint mobility stuff in the weightless warm up before I do the cossacks. My impression is that this is helping with the ROM.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:50 am

THursday Dec 13th:

20 minutes general joint mobility and resistance band stuff for shoulders.

"Laying The Foundation" routine with 25 lb crazyball:

Military Press 9 Reps, L&R, 3x.
Two arm swing 9x, Goblet Squat 9x, Full Pushups 9x : 3x
One arm OH Squat: 5 reps each side.

Short walk outside to normalize.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:08 am

Friday. Dec 15th:

Went through the upper and lower body warmup routines, some extra band stuff and some joint mobility stuff.

Saturday: Off. Lots of shopping and stuff.

Sunday: "Laying The Foundation" routines, sets of 9 for everything. I think it saved my life.

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:Friday. Dec 15th:

Sunday: "Laying The Foundation" routines, sets of 9 for everything. I think it saved my life.
You can't just leave that one hanging...Elaborate?
"All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is. Once you start comparing one place to another, there's no end to it."- Sodo Yokoyama

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Oops...realized I hadn't actually logged my workouts for several days.

That last workout came at the end of a long, frustrating string of days spend working long hours and taking care of family stuff and basically not getting any exercise to speak of. Felt much, much better with even just 30 minutes of easy kettlebell work.

Managed to do the Maxwell "Laying the Foundation" circuit several times and the "Mobility Core Strength" circuit from "Maxwell Kettlebell Conditioning System" once. Did some chi kung and Maxwell's "Universal Mobility Routine" twice, did some upper body shoulder health stuff with a resistance band almost at random.

I also shoveled snow at 6 am for an hour when "Snowmaggedon" hit Omaha last Wednesday, pleased to report no lingerimg soreness or fatigue except for a bit of glute soreness 48 hours later.

Almost no walking due to inclement weather and snowbound sidewalks, which is frustrating.

Culinary highlight: Made Alton Brown's "Pot Roast without a Pot" (the revised version out of "Good Eats: The Early Years") by basically braising a cut of chuck and some veggies in a reduced mixture of tomato juice and red wine vinegar and wrapped in a triple wrap of aluminum foil. Browned the meat (rubbed with salt, pepper, cumin) in a cast iron skillet, cooked potatoes, carrots, pearl onions and garlic in tomato juice and vinegar until the liquid was reduced by half, then poured the liquid and vegetables over the beef, wrapped it up, and cooked at 250 F for 3 1/2 hours and let sit for another 30 minutes after that. Holy Christ - I could hear a choir of heavenly bovines mooing in diving harmony with the first taste of the roast.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:46 am

Finally managed to get a little exercise Thursday night - 30 minutes with Jumpstretch band lower body routine and some shoulder health stuff for the upper body.

Dinner: Tossed a 2 lb pork loin and some quarted potatoes and cauliflower florets with olive oil, chopped fresh rosemary, minced garlic, salt, pepper and some dried herbs, browned everything in a big cast iron skillet for 10 minutes, then stuck the skillet in a 400F oven for 45 minutes (turned the contents over at 30 minutes to cook everything evenly). While that roasted, whizzed some white wine vinegar, parsley, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, Dijon mustard, honey, and capers in a food processor, stirred in some salt and pepper to taste. then added enough olive oil to make a vinaigrette. When the roast came out the oven, I sliced it up and served it with the sauce. Dead easy, and at least as good as anything you could get at a local fancy restaurant (except for the actual presentation).

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Friday, Dec 29th:

40 minutes Xing Yei Nei Gong and Maxwell's Universal Mobility Routine.

Made a "healthier" version of a taco salad: Browned a lb of 85% lean ground sirloin, added a can of black beans and some minced garlic and some chili powder, cumin, ground cinnamon and a bit of hot sauce. Cut up 6 Roma tomatoes, seeded them, tossed with oil, salt, and oregano and roasted at 400 F for 20 minutes. Cut the roasted tomato pieces into dices, tossed with oil, salt, pepper, and some lime juice for a "dressing"/ (I'll bet sun dried tomatoes would have worked, too.) Cut up a Romaine lettuce heart and distributed it into a couple big bowls. Put the dressing on top of the lettuce, added portions of the ground beef mixture to that, topped with some shredded cheddar cheese, and finally crushed a couple dozen baked tortilla chips and sprinkled the crushed chips on top of the salads. (Got this one from "The Abs Diet Cookbook").

Voila - all the taste and 90% of the texture of a taco salad and about 1/2 the fat and calories. Plus, romaine lettuce is my new favorite salad green.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:50 pm

Fucking firewall at work is making it hard to post to IGx, so I'll have to do this at home on my own time. I mean, I'm a PC support guy, and I could find ways around it (and I will), but for now, home posting it is.

Saturday Dec 29th: 20 minutes of warm up and joint mobility, then Maxwell's "Laying the Foundation" routine (slightly modified):

Military Presses 4x10 reps L&R
Two Handed Swings/Goblet Squats/Full Range Pushups superset 4x10
OH Single hand squat, 4x3 L&R.

Made Art Smith's "Java Beef Stew" from "Kitchen Life"., 1 generous cup of strong brewed coffee and 2 cups of Gnarlyhead zinfandel for the braising liquid, onions and galic and carrots and parsnips along with a couple lbs of stewing meat, with dried thyme and a couple bay leaves and salt/pepper to taste. Coffee makes for a hella good combo with beef. I almost always make stew this way these days. My wife made some biscuits to go with it, and we were in comfort food Nirvana.

Sunday Dec 30th:

Mostly XYNG for warmup, with some extra resistance work for the upper body because my neck was starting to hurt. 20 minutes

Maxwell's "Mobility, Strength and Core" routine, only 3 rounds with a 25 lb birdball (5 rounds suggested) because I'm still a relative pussy with this stuff.

10 reps each leg, Kettlebell reverse Lunge.
1 hand OH Squat, 4 each side.
4 Windmills each side
1 Reverse TGU/RKC Arm Bar L&R
10 Cossack squats each side
Hold Plank for 2 minutes

20 minutes Jumpstretch lower body routine

Lansky's "Chicken Alfredo" take out pizza for dinner. I was going to grill a skirt steak and make Carne Asada, but needed the time to study before I hit the sack.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:23 pm

Have had the same trouble at work,but I always manage to wiggle my way around it.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:08 am

Monday Jan 1st: Waddaya think? Took the day off. Marinated a skirt steak with cumin, lime juice, lime zest, minced garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil in a zip lock bag. Broiled it five minutes on a side. Tossed market greens with lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, white wine vinegar and minced cilantro. Put the greens in platters, put steak slices on the greens, put crumbled goat cheese and baked tortillas sliced into matchsticks on top of that. Major husband points. (Sam The Cooking Guy's "Just Grill This!")

Tuesday Jan 2nd: Didn't get started until 9:00. Did 30 minutes of XYNG and Maxwell's Mobility stuff as a warmup to shake off the recently acquired staleness, then a reduced version of Maxwell's "Lung Buster" routine with a 25 lb birdball:

Superset x3
Reverse Lunges 8 reps L&R; SLDL 8 reps L&R; Windmills 6 reps L&R
Superset x 3
Military Press 8 reps L&R; Crescent Row 8 reps L&R
Superset x 3
Pushups x10; Upright Row x 10

Ran out of time, but this was enough for one night anyway. Less warmup next time - or hopefully I'll need a little less.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:28 am

Wednesday, Jan 3rd: Mobility warm up and most of Maxwell's "Lung Buster" circuit, 60 minutes total.

Thursday: Off, spent the evening studying and making chili.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:34 am

Friday, Jan 4th:

Decided to man up and start using the 1 pood crazyball with the Maxwell stuff now (I originally bought the 25 lber for my wife).

Maxwell's "Laying the Foundation" routine, slightly modified to include pushups.

8 reps Military Press, Left and Right, 3 sets
10 reps Two Arm Swing, 10 Reps Goblet Squat, 10 reps full range pushups (this is the "Humane Burpee"), 3 sets
5 reps OH Squat, L&R, 3 sets.

Lots and lots of leftovers for dinner, including "Hawaiian Chili" (with pineapples and white vinegar) and leftover steak salad and pork tenderloin.

Saturday Jan 5th:

Temp finally got into double digits and the sun came out, and the sidewalks all appear reasonably shoveled, so took a 70 minute walk down to the Field Club trail, to the end of it, and back. Boy I missed the walks. Need to make them a priority whenever the weather isn't totatlly hostile.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:01 am

Sunday:Family and friends tech support most of the day, studying at night, decided to call it a rest day.

Monday Jan 7th:

25 minutes Tai Chi Chi Kung routine (JDC presents this on the "Bliss QiGong" DVD)/
20 minutes Jumpstretch lower body routine.

Made pork chops and apples - marinated inch thick bone in chops in oil/soy sauce/brown sugar/garlic/salt/pepper/grated ginger root for an hour and then broiled them 5 minutes each side (while simmering the marinade to kill off any raw meat contaminants, then serving as a side sauce); peeled,cored and sliced some Granny smith apples, sauteed in butter until browned, then added maple syrup and salt to glaze and finally 1/4 cup of heavy cream until heated through. Damn good. (From "Mom's 100")

Tuesday Jan 8th:
20 minutes mobility warmup and shoulder health resistance band stuff.

With a 1 pood kettlebell, Maxwell's 'Laying the Foundation"
Military Presses 3x10 reps L&R
Two Handed Swings/Goblet Squats/Full Range Pushups superset 3x10
OH Single hand squat, 4x4 L&R.

Leftover night.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:27 am

Friday, Jan 11th:70 minute walk
Saturday:
Maxwell's "Lung Opener" routine from his Kettlebell Conditioning System.

Lungesx15 L&R supersetted with One Legged DLsx15
Military Presses x10 L&R supersetted with Crescent Rowsx12
Pushupsx10 supersetted with Upright rows
60 Seconds of alternating swings

Sunday:

30 minutes Joint Mobility and Resistance Bands for shoulders
Maxwell's "Laying the Foundation" routine, slightly modified to include pushups.

10 reps Military Press, Left and Right, 3 sets
12 reps Two Arm Swing, 10 Reps Goblet Squat, 10 reps full range pushups (this is the "Humane Burpee"), 3 sets
5 reps OH Squat, L&R, 3 sets.

Made brisket for dinner, basically the "jewish" verision from "Mom's 100". Pretty decent, but not as good as Alton Brown's "A Chuck For Chuck" version, chuck roast browned in a skillet, braised in vinegar, tomato paste and tomato juice and wrapped in foil.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:25 am

Wednesday Jan 23rd:
Jesus, I almost lost the thread completely, didn't I?

I've been doing one of the specialty routines from Maxwell's Kettlebell Conditioning System (mostly "Laying the Foundation" alternating with "Mobility/Core Strength" or "Lung Opener" with a single 25 or 36 lb kettlebell, opening with shoulder health resistance band stuff and Maxwell's Universal Mobility routine mashed up with Xing Yi Nei Gong. 2-3 times a week when the temps are higher than 15 degrees or so, I've snuck in a 60-80 minute walk.

Doing OK, but I miss the calisthentics, and the stress levels at work are such that I need to get in some yoga more often. I think I need a slightly different template for my workouts, and I don't have time/aren't ready for the full 8 week schedule from MKCS. I may go with Andrea DuCane's "Ageless Body" setup, which essentially echos Dan John in most ways and will let me get done faster. I know I keep saying this, but passing the Network+ is beginning to look like a reality before spring. There's a couple of weeks on call and my mother-in-law staying with us while she heals up from knee replacement surgery and the possibility of adopting a pair of 4 year old setters from a local rescue organization (my wife is a hardcore "dog person" and really wants to replace the chow mix that passed on in November), but dammit, I'm gonna get-r-done.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:56 am

Feb 1:

OK, enough of this bullshit. I've been doing something almost every night, but there is very little continuity and consistency. So fuck it, I did Day 1/Week 1 of the Maxwell Kettlebell Conditioning System after dinner:

With a 25 lb kettlebell:
3 sets of two arm swings, 30-40 seconds each.
1 arm swings, Left and Right, 30 seconds each
1 arm cleans, Left and Right, 30 seconds each
High pulls, Left and Right, 30 seconds each
Snatches, L&R, 30 seconds each
3 sets of two arm swings, 30-40 seconds each.

I may just cycle through week 1 until I finally nail my cert.

In the meantime, as an ancillary mode of staying leanish in a time of reduced activity, I decided to do a version of "intermittent fasting" - eat reasonably well from noon to 8 pm 4-5 times a week. (Essentially the Eat-Stop-Eat method as popularized recently by Men's Health.) That works for me because the "dangerous time" for eating crap has always been in the hours between 3 pm and 5:30 pm, especially on the way home, and now I can allow for the fact that I'm probably going to nosh on something in that time frame no matter what I've had for lunch.

I plan to keep this up until Spring and see if it works for my waistline and my general health.

Today was day 1 of that - took a bit of mental effort, but once I got past the first appetite pangs around 10 am, I was fine. Hard part will be no wine after 8 pm or so on the days I choose, but that will just make me a cheap date on the days I indulge.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 pm

Well, the predominant effect of IF/8 Hour eating plan so far is that I'm "hungry" all the time, even when I've just finished eating. I woke up with a weird, echoing emptiness in my digestive system similar to the times I would try a 24 or 48 hour fast in my late 20's and early 30's. That's a novel sensation, and worth trying got that reason alone - the life lesson that "I don't have to be comfortable to be happy."

That's not what I was hoping for, but I'm not surprised. However, it doesn't really seem to bother me (not like it would have 10 years ago when I was a full fledged office worker pussy) , and it isn't all that hard to keep on track with the eating schedule - since you know the privation is only temporary (and there's a reason and rationale for it).

Today's items:

Turkey Meatloaf sandwich at 11:45 (going to see a matinee at noon)
1/2 of a Chicken Quesadilla from The Mattress Factory after the movie (boxed up the other half for tomorrow) around 2:45
A couple handfuls of my wife's homemade granola between 3:00 and 6:00 pm (the way she makes it beats the hell out of anything you can buy in the stores, even/especially health food stores)
2/3 of a smoothie at 7:00 pm (1 cup 2% milk,1/2 of an avocado, a banana, 1 cup frozen blue berries, a dab of honey, some salt and a Tb of chia seeds) - my wife had the rest while she was making the crust for a banana cream pie for tomorrow. I wanted to finish it, but my stomach seems to have shrunk a bit.

We'll see how I feel in a week or so, or in a month or so.

Workout: Week 1, Day 2 of MKCS, cut down a little because I am breaking in and I am in no hurry to ramp up:

Warmup with behind the neck pullaparts, shoulder rollovers, chest expanders and rhomboid repositioners with resistance bands. Then slingshots, halos, halo chops, shoulder lockout stretches, windmills, shoulder figure 8's and standing Russian twists. (These are part of the MKCP upper body warmup/mobility series).

Then with a 25 lb kettlebell:

Military Presses 4x10 reps L&R
Upright rows ("pulling" the horns apart to minize internal rotation and impingment) 3x8
Crush pushups from knees,kettlebell on its side (can't do them the regular way yet) 4x10
Planks/Plank Rows: 30 sec, 30 sec, 2x10 L&R
Crush curls, 3x6
Two Point Suitcase rows, 3x10 L&R.

A good start.

Abandoned by Wolves

Re: Punch The Clock - Now With IF!

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 am

Sunday was scheduled "normal" eating. I actually didn't go hog wild or anything - Breakfast at 10:00 pm, some leftovers at 2:00, Chicken Alfredo pizza from Lansky's around 7:00 when I got back from a 70 minute walk with my wife.

Monday, Feb 4th:

I was wondering how hard it would be go resume IF after a break day - not that hard. Still hungry in the morning, but not ravenous.

12:00 - a "Soho" sandwich on a hoagie from Manhattan Delu
2-4 - a few combo snack crackers and a slice of pizza from a convenience store on the way home.
7:00 pm - "pork chop salad" - browned some seasoned boneless loin chops in a skillet with sesamn oil, cut into cubes, tossed with shredded carrots, bean sprouts, diced celery, dressing made of soy sauce, mayo, honey, minced ginger, red pepper flakes, toasted sesame seeds; served over some chopped romaine lettuce and some toasted pita triangles.

Studied until 10:00 pm, then did the Jumpstretch lower body stuff for 25-30 minutes.

Tuesday, Feb 5th:

Lunch was a little early, since I was meeting some coworkers at our local Godfathers pizza place.

11:30 - four small slices of various kinds of pizza from the buffet (to give you some idea, all three of my coworkers had between 6-8 slices each)
2:00 - small bag of salt and vinegar chips from the vending machine
4: 00 - some yogury pretzels on the way home
7:00 - made a Spanish "tortilla" omelet (actually a frittata) with scallions, roasted red pepper strips, sliced potatos, eggs, milk, cheddar cheese and stuffed some of in a leftover pita pocket. Brewed some tea for studying - trying to avoid artificial sweeteners, etc after 8 also.

So far I've stuck to the plan without too much grief (Sunday was a planned day off). It's amazing how many times I felt the temptation to go get just "a little something" in the off hours. But having a scheduled time when you can start again helps.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:10 am

Wednesday was a planned day off of both IF and working out, went to see "The Leopard Man" (a Val Lewton joint) with my friends.

A QT Breakfast burrito for breakfast.
Trip to Taco bell, had 2 soft shell steak tacos and some diet mountain dew for lunch (as recommended by "Eat This, Not That!")

Had a frozen blueberry/mango/avocado/banana/honey smoothie for dinner, 3 glasses of Crane Lake Petit Syrah in the evening while watching and rapping with my friends.

Thursday, Feb 7th:

Getting back in to the 8 hr IF thing was such a pain in the ass that I wish I hadn't gone off it. Started out with a bit of a hangover, misjudged my caffeine intake and had a mother of a juicy headache by 10:00 am. But I didn't want to take aspirin on an empty stomach, so I soldiered through until noon. Then I could barely stand to eat my lunch because my neck hurt so bad it was making me sick. Better by 3:00 pm or so. (Note: really, I'm not whining or anything - just recording the ups and downs of the initial weeks and mistakes I've made and thoughts I've had.)
Morning: Coffee, watered down a bit.
Noon: Deli sandwich on a hoagie and a small back of chips with some Diet Mountain dew to wash down the ibuprofen.
3:00 pm - A Nature valley "protein bar" from the vending machines at the Civic Center.
5:30 pm - a 250 calorie baked chicken sandwich from Quik Trip on the way home, washed down with a bit of fountain Diet Coke. Right after this my appetite finally backed off and I started to feel "full". Neck ache finally abated.
7:30 pm - barely finished making and eating some turkey chili with 3 kinds of beans and fire roasted tomatoes, along with some strawberries tossed with balsamic vinegar and black pepper for dessert.

Studied until 10:45 or so, went to bed.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:19 am

Friday, Feb 8th: 40 minutes Maxwell's mobility routine, and 4x10 pushups and squats and bridges,

IF still doable - managed to get dinner done by 8:00 and stayed on track the rest of the night.

Saturday - I don't remember what the hell I did. Didn't get any real exercise because I was playing family guy. These things will happen. Did manage to keep the feasting period from 11:30 to 7:30. Made turkey chili from "Frugal Foodie", had sausage patties, an egg and Texas Toast for breakfast and leftover slice of fritatta around 3:00.

Sunday: Break from IF. Oddly, still don't really want to stuff myself. Walked 90 minutes to "reset" myself and stay relaxed before the shitty on call week begins. Good news: work with the Anki flash cards is paying off - got 95 % on my last practice test for Network+.

Monday, Feb 11th: On call. Fuck. 2 Chalupas at Taco Bell around 11:30, a few chips around 5:00 pm and Motorhome Meatballs with quinoa and green salad for dinner at 7:30. 30 minutes of Bliss Qigong/Tai Chi Chi Kung and some resistance band stuff for shoulder health before going to bed.

Tuesday, Feb 12

REALLY serious appetite pangs around 10:00 am, soldiered through it - it was just stress and work and looking for comfort. 4 small slices from the Pizza Buffett at Godfathers at 11:30 (not my idea - my coworkers invited me and ate 7-8 slices each), some "combos" at 5:30, and BBQ chicken, mashed potatoes and a green salad done by 7:30. Will try to swing a kettlebell around for a bit and do some Jumpstretch before going to bed if the stupid cell phone will stay quiet.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Jesus, I blinked and two weeks went by without posting. Fortunately, I think I can be done with this friggin Network+ thing by mid March, and then regular posting and working out will resume. Getting by on 20+ minutes of Tai Chi Chi Kung every other night, plus a basic kettlebell routine 2 days a week for 20-25 minutes, Maxwell's Universal mobility stuff for about 30 minutes some nights, and a long walk on the weekends.

Still doing the "8 Hour Diet" 5-6 days a week, mostly limiting my eating window to 11:30 am to 7:30 pm or so. This is definitely a practical way to work at limiting caloric input, am considering maybe implementing a 24 hour fast one day a week. Still goddamn hungry all the time, but mostly I don't have a problem with that - except from about 10:00 am to 11:30 am, when internal agitation to EAT is at its maximum.