<<<:::THEWHITEWAY:::>>>

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

<<<:::THEWHITEWAY:::>>>

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:09 pm

The White Way Between Two Rivers

2013.01.02PM; jiu-jitsu...time for a new log, the old one having served its purpose. Having now refocused myself on jiu-jitsu, the path is narrow yet clear. The challenge, as always, is to keep a razor sharp focus so that everything I do serves the art.

Started out the year's training with some sparring, rolling against a very excellent purple belt. We were positionally sparring, so all in from guard through the pass, but if one passed or conversely was swept (or submitted, although this didn't happen) then the position was reset. I got a very nice sweep from half guard, and some excellent passing, but my guard was not anywhere near where it should be.

After that an hour of passing drills and then my two hours were up so I had to leave before sparring any more rounds.

Aloha!
Last edited by Fat Cat on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: <)<))<)))THEWHITEWAY(((>((>(>

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:39 am

2013.01.03PM; jiu-jitsu...nogi sparring brown belts for rounds. I worked half, sweeping and submitting.

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: <<<:::THEWHITEWAY:::>>>

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:23 am

2013.01.04PM; jiu-jitsu...taught the Friday self defense class, an hour on how to block the mount before it occurs either by replacing guard or by rolling them with an upa as they try to mount.

This was followed by three variations on the trap and roll, when he tries to punch you in the face, wrap his arm behind your head, or choke you. I show the striking version first because it is the most basic and real, but I like the demonstrate the nuance of the choking version because it allows you to really develop the invisible qualities of connection, base, and spirals in a way that is hard to learn but easy to feel.

Finished the night with 20 minutes of sparring with a just fair blue belt. He was really enamored of going for these all or nothing type attacks, which I tried talking to him about but he was only moderately interested in hearing what I had to say. The desire to submit your opponent can never override attending the basic principles of the art by first working them into a positional corner. Instead, he wanted to dive for suicide chokes and biceps cutters that weren't adequately set up, and so I smashed this big guy far too easily. Oh well, they learn or they don't.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:59 pm

2013.01.5PM; srecan badnjak...the Man is coming around.

1. One Hand Swing 1 x 10/10 @ 32 kg
2. One Hand Clean 1 x 10/10 @ 32 kg
2. One Hand Press 1 x 10/10 @ 32 kg
3. One Hand Jerk 1 x 10/10 @ 32 kg
4. One Hand Snatch 1 x 10/10 @ 32 kg

...followed by a half an hour of taijiquan.

Aloha!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Nice, Mak. I hope you're doing well in paradise. I hope life is treating you good.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:33 pm

2013.01.06AM; went on a hike for 2 hours, stopping to do some taijiquan in a clearing. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:15 pm

2013.01.07PM; Христос се роди...today is Orthodox Christmas, so I stayed home with family and just did a half an hour of taijiquan in the back yard as the sun went down. Ten minutes of gong exercises, five minutes of standing, and fifteen minutes of form work.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:12 pm

2013.01.08PM; TOTALWAR...was training with the reigning heavyweight Hawaii State NAGA champion for my warmup. He tossed me around for a good five minutes; I hung back, listened to his breathing, and watched him deplete himself then rolled him and put him away with a footlock when he tried to establish a sweeping position. We did another couple of rounds, but he had spent his abilities and I was the victor. I actually played with the 3D concept I was discussing with MarcoFP; it's something I was doing unconsciously to some extent, but having him break it down to me systematically made it easy to remember: if A then B. For example, every time he backed up to pass, I come up. Even if he tried to charge me over, he's now loaded himself up for a sweep.

Class was passing drills, all new school type stuff but important in the scheme of things, making the pass as the guard player tries to establish a sweeping position. It requires moving quickly and definitively, so it lends itself to drilling where you hammer the movement into your subconscious.

Finished up with four rounds of 6 minutes, tearing through the remaining students. The one blue belt that always tries stupid shit literally tried to reach up from bottom side control and grind his knuckles into my neck. Incomprehensible. Anyway, I shifted to knee on belly and gave him the cross lapel choke of justice. He looked irritated but what can you expect when tried to submit a black belt by ripping your knuckles into his neck? All in all was a little over two hours of total war.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 pm

2013.01.09PM; jiu-jitsu...45 minutes of continuous hard rolling from standing, then an hour of drills.

I actually made one very stupid decision and had a blue belt armbar the fuck out of me. One time out of 20 isn't bad, but it stings the pride. He was in top side control, and I played around with a sneaky americana from the bottom. I don't even know why I did it, but I caught him very tight and could have broken his elbow. Anyway, he wasn't tapping so I decided it's not worth it an loosened up on it, at which point he dove into a counter arm lock. I did pay him back in full, and threw him several times with sumi-gaeshi.

At first I was feeling a little taken advantage of (thesis), but then my thoughts turned to my own sloppy execution and softheartedness (antithesis); finally I realized it was a good thing because I will completely abandon that technique and never again put myself in that position (synthesis). It's not something I would have even tried on a higher level guy, so why bother with it at all? Eliminate the extraneous.

Aloha!

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Only in Fat Cat's Training Log do we find Hegelian Dialectics in the service of choking bitches out. =D>

More seriously, thanks for reporting your use of MarcoFP's/Lundell's approach from the bottom. I have to absorb & experiment with this.
Also, I like your (and MFP's) philosophy of using only high-level techniques, regardless of the opponent/training partner.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:57 pm

:-" Just doing my thing.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:07 pm

2013.01.10PM; jiu-jitsu...no-gi rolling for an hour until I broke the will of the brown belt I was rolling with. He was seeing spots and had to decline further contests. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:32 am

2013.01.11PM; jiu-jitsu...taught three methods of countering stabbing attacks with a knife:

1. At close range the opponent thrusts at your abdomen and you move off line and entangle the arm, crush the wrist, and remove the blade or make him fall on it. Special attention was given to backing away with your lead arm locked once you have disarmed the opponent so that he is jammed back if he tries to regain the weapon. Also, if the blade falls to the ground, how to step on it so that the enemy cannot pick it up with his other hand.

2. At a greater range, the opponent lunges in to stab you, how to step off line and get two hands on his weapon arm and floating it before stepping under the arm and breaking it over your shoulder.

3. If the opponent times you and resists the previous technique, how to follow his line of resistance and apply a sankyo style wrist lock, or redirect the blade into him.

The techniques fit together, or form a circle, where each time a technique fails it sets up the next. We worked up from by the numbers to full resistance over the course of the hour.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:13 pm

2013.01.13PM; kettlebells....was a sad day for my family, my beloved father-in-law left for Sarajevo after 2.5 months with us. We had a wonderful time when he was here and all of us were feeling pretty low about his departure. I felt decidedly un-energetic, so I decided to just do a couple of rounds of the following circuit. I had originally planned on three, but my right hand started bleeding so I knocked it off after two circuits.

1. One Hand Snatch 1 x 10/10 @ 24 kg
2. Two Hand Clean & Press 1 x 10 @ 2 x 24 kg
3. One Hand Swing 1 x 10/10 @ 24 kg
4. Two Hand Jerk 1 x 10/10 @ 2 x 24 kg

...finished up with a farmer's hold with the pair of 24 kg kettlebells for 60 seconds. Time was approximately 18 minutes.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:36 pm

"The man who is at the peak of his success and the man who has just failed, are in exactly the same position. Each must decide what he will do next." -Jigoro Kano

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:03 am

“We Gracies, if we are not hated, we are definitely disliked by millions and millions of people. Invincibility itself is enough to make a person unlikeable.“ —Hélio Gracie

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:11 am

2013.01.15PM; jiujitsu....rolled with some blues for openers and then an hour of takedowns and half guard passing transitions. Finished with another half an hour of sparring for 6 minute rounds. 2.5 hours of shugyo. No diet only more train.

Aloha!

P.S. The above photo is the Grandmaster, all of out of giveafuck, in 1955 with his student and future red belt Flavio Behring. More here http://www.flaviobehring.com/letter_e.htm

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:14 pm

2013.01.16PM; jiu-jitsu...rolling with selected blue through brown belt guys, switching one out when he was tired. Kept at for an hour, then bounced. I had to pick my son up from his grandparents' so no time for a full session.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:12 pm

2013.01.17PM; jiu-jitsu...no-gi rolling, nonstop for one hour with a big blue belt who just moved here from Michigan after finishing law school. I just focued on a very basic game, takedown to pass, then riding him until he gave up a kimura.

Aloha!

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Fat Cat wrote:then riding him until he gave up a kimura.
Are you maintaining tight & heavy Side Control, or doing Knee on Belly type riding?
TIA

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:56 am

I don't do a ton of knee on belly, and especially in no-gi situations I don't feel like it gives me the level of control I like. With the gi, I can use grips to maximize the effectiveness of the position, but I still don't do it a lot because I'm 210 lbs. and can really make someone suffer unnecessarily. Only on big guys do I use that position with any consistency; of course if they're huge, fuck 'em.

So, short answer, I do a lot of chest to chest side control, modified kesa-gatame, and north south and no too much knee on belly. I am very big into body contact, as I have very poor vision and prefer to "feel" what my partner is doing to seeing it, in most cases.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:14 am

Thanks, Cat!

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:28 am

2013.01.18PM; jiu-jitsu...taught class on defending against icepick grip blade attacks.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:35 am

2013.01.19AM; jiu-jitsu...second training in 16 hours. Today my son joined me on the white path. Training was mostly with my cub on the double leg takedown, simply learning the penetration step and driving forward as opposed to pulling back, which was his instinct.

I finished with several rounds of sparring with a peculiar blue belt. I have mentioned him before as diving for unrealistic attacks and I am starting to see some real improvement. He has taken my observations well and improved on his game radically.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:20 am

2013.01.20PM; kettlebells....

1. Jump Rope x 6:00
2. One Hand Snatch 3 x 12/12 @ 24 kg
3. Two Hand Clean & Press 3 x 12 @ 2 x 24 kg
4. One Hand Swing 3 x 12/12 @ 24 kg
5. Two Hand Jerk 3 x 12/12 @ 2 x 24 kg
6. Farmers Hold x 1:20

Time was 51:20.

...finished up with barbecue, red wine, and a long swim at Kahala beach.

Aloha!