<<<:::THEWHITEWAY:::>>>

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: <<<:::THEWHITEWAY:::>>>

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:48 pm

2013.03.22PM; jiu-jitsu…self defense class on the classic counters to various double collar grabs, standing and up against a wall.

Finished up with some light rolling.

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:50 pm

2013.03.23AM; jiu-jitsu…Saturday morning with the kids, bullyproofing games, battling ropes, tug of war, etc.

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:53 pm

2013.03.23PM; bench…a glass of cognac, Passacaglia and Fugue in C Minor, côte de porc à la charcutière and a gratin de haricots verts bubbling away in the kitchen.

1. Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 170 lbs.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:54 pm

2013.03.24PM; 6 mile hike in the rain.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 pm

2013.03.25PM; jiu-jitsu...? Spring break has been killing our attendance for the past week; half our guys are students and the other half are parents.

Anyway, I showed up, but there was an uneven number of guys, so I stepped aside to make sure all the paying students could train with a partner's undivided attention. I waited for half an hour for another person to show up while I did Hindu pushups, squats, wall walks, and worked the heavy bag but when it was clear that the situation was not going to change I bounced. Sometimes you make a good faith effort and things still don't work out.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:31 am

2013.03.26PM; jiu-jitsu...half an hour rolling with a fairly heavy Haitian blue belt, playing a very flowing style as my overture.

Class was half an hour of armbar and omoplata drills from mount, then half an hour drilling a choke off the half guard pass. Finale was 6 minute rounds, playing again a very calm and inexorable game.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:07 am

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 pm

2013.03.27PM; jiu-jitsu...an hour of straight sparring, then three hour seminar with Relson Gracie.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:09 pm

2013.03.28PM; no-gi jiu-jitsu...half an hour rolling with an experienced brown belt, dodging his crucifix hold and playing mostly various permutations of half guard.

Class was half an hour of drilling some kimura attacks from bottom guard and bottom half, then a few more rounds of sparring.

After class headed over to Relson's house for his 60th birthday party barbecue.

Aloha!

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Image
2013.03.27PM; jiu-jitsu...an hour of straight sparring, then three hour seminar with Relson Gracie.

Aloha!
The man kneeling on the far left is abnormally large.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 am

He's a bailiff. He used to be about 400 lbs., now he is down to about 300 lbs.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:39 pm

2013.03.29PM; jiu-jitsu...taught the first four knife defenses in the GJJ curriculum to a small crowd. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 pm

2013.03.31PM; did the advanced routine from the The Master Method of Health, Strength and Bodybuilding by Willoughby and Hinbern (1975). It's a combination of body weight (yes, pistols), dumbbells (pullovers, curls, flyes), and kettlebell (swings, snatches, presses) movements. Nothing special, but I just felt like a change.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:44 pm

2013.04.01PM; jiu-jitsu...rolling for half an hour with a four stripe purple, passing his guard, sweeping, and escaping from various set positions. He's a very athletic fireman and sparring partner for Clark Gracie and Joel Tudor, so I felt good that I was able to control the situation well.

After that, a half an hour drilling standing headlock escapes and another half an hour drilling omoplata attacks from the closed guard. Finished with more sparring, was just wrapping the purple up when the bell sounded.

Aloha!

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Good work Fat Cat, do you still try and regulate your level of rolling? I keep trying to dabble with keeping it playful, the only time it seems to work out is when my guard is passed, rather than going full on escape mode I wait for patiently for their mistaken to regain guard etc.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 pm

I do.

Monday: High Intensity (Sport)

Tuesday: Medium Intensity (Sport)

Wednesday: High Intensity (Sport)

Thursday: Medium Intensity (No-Gi)

Friday: Low Intensity (Self Defense)

Saturday: Low Intensity (Kids)

It doesn't always work out that way, but you can't make every day be balls out war.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:06 pm

2013.04.02PM; jiu-jitsu...light rolling helping a blue belt improve his defense and escape from side control, then assisting a class of mainly beginners. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:27 pm

2013.04.03PM; jiu-jitsu...I had to be at a family dinner by 6:30 so I Shanghai'd a blue belt and we rolled for half an hour.

He went after me like a pitbull and I was fucking around being way too playful, and he almost made me pay for it. Patience and fundamentals saved me, but I keep seeing this patter than I try to let guys in the game and play around a bit, but all they want is to tap a professor.

Regardless, despite limited time I managed to get some training in. Today Relson is giving a seminar on weapons defenses for police and military at our academy.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Relson's promotion is in the Weekly, and the Governor of the State of Hawaii has declared April 6, 2013 to be "Grandmaster Relson Gracie Day".

http://www.midweek.com/relson-gracie-red-belt/

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:12 am

Awesome.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:20 am

A father of five and grandfather of three, Relson celebrated his 60th birthday last Thursday and says he’s single, looking for a wife and wants to have five more children.
Nice.
And while he no longer fights or accepts challenges (noting he ran away from his 139th fight when about 10 guys tried to mob him in Waikiki last year)
Please tell me these motherfuckers suffered for this bullshit.

One day when you have time I'd love to read your take on Relson's version/style of Gracie Jiu Jitsu.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:00 am

Making babies is Gracie Jiu Jitsu. We grow families.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:09 am

2013.04.05PM; jiu-jitsu...I taught the Friday self defense class, this the second of my three classes on working against blade attacks. After work and teaching, I bounced over to UH for a long night of training at Relson Gracie's last seminar as a faixa coral, the rank he has held for the last 20 years.

We had more than 20 black belts together, the most I have ever seen, including a few who are not in the pictures above. It was held at the old UH athletic complex studio number 4, where he first began publicly teaching jiu-jitsu in the Hawaiian Islands.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:51 am

“The difference is that the groundwork is different in the streets,” said Relson in an exclusive interview with MMAOnline.com. “You don’t have a gi on the streets. You don’t want to grapple people on the hard ground. That’s nuts. It turns into no-hold-barred. There is punching and grappling and it is more complicated. Now people will train Muay Thai in the morning, submission grappling in the afternoon, gi jiu jitsu at night. Everyone is tough. A lot of people train jiu jitsu. For no-holds-barred I recommend training in gi. I recommend it for the knowledge and competition and the self-defense. This self-defense system is the best.”

http://www.mmaonline.com/headlines/prom ... -red-belt/