Geared and Confused

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Geared and Confused

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:12 am

That is why i used a Champion. No gear i ever used left so much dermatological damage than that Z-suit.

To paraphrase Nancy Pelosi, "You have to get a lift passed in gear to know what it is like to be in it"
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:41 am

Because geared PL is essentially cheating ( :) ) there's no shame in sumo but the only way you're going to get anything out of that suit for a conventional DL is to get those legs jacked insanely high on the thigh (about bikini line high). It can be a brutal fight,worse in some ways than squatting but it will help with that particular stall point and once you get used to it, will let you sit back hard and drive with your hips through the sticking point.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:36 am

Feb. 14: Light bench day

speed bench in slingshot 215, 2/6
band pushdowns, plate rows, db curls and reverse curls

Weird: the best way to prevent butt lift seems to be to lift my head all the way up on decent. Feels like it makes a nice pivot point of upper traps when the push-off comes.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:34 pm

JasonC wrote:Feb. 14: Light bench day

Weird: the best way to prevent butt lift seems to be to lift my head all the way up on decent. Feels like it makes a nice pivot point of upper traps when the push-off comes.

add some 4 boards raw with your meet grip for 2 sets of 5 as a finisher on speed day. Use around your raw max for sets of 5. Finish with very light pulldowns with about your meet grip in width and pull it below your sternum.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:08 am

powerlifter54 wrote:
JasonC wrote:Feb. 14: Light bench day

add some 4 boards raw with your meet grip for 2 sets of 5 as a finisher on speed day. Use around your raw max for sets of 5. Finish with very light pulldowns with about your meet grip in width and pull it below your sternum.
As you command, my dark lord.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:10 am

This is a great training log. Thanks for posting JC.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 am

Feb. 17: Light squat/dead day

SQ wraps and belt only, 275, 6/3
sumo in full gear, 355, 1/6

At the meet I'll need to put on the suit early in the warm-up process for the deads so that the legs can slide around and find the best place on my thigh (pretty close to hip bone) for a good pull off the floor. Best set-up routine seems to be: set foot width (feet ahead), set grip, tighten lats down and take slack out, big breath, pack neck, arch belly hard into belt, lower hips and go.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:17 am

Ed Zachary wrote:This is a great training log. Thanks for posting JC.
Mormon Jesus gave all this talent, I owe it to Him to share it.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:43 am

Feb. 20: Heavy bench

I used about half the board that Rogozhnikov recommends for this point in the cycle because the fucking shirt isn't here (have I bitched enough about this yet?) and I'm only going to have one shirted workout left before the meet, so I have to prepare for the possibility that I'll have to bench raw on meet day if I don't make an easy transition to the shirt. (Considering that I have never worn a bench shirt, that doesn't seem like pure paranoia.)

slingshot to 3/4" board 265,1; 285,1; 295, 1/2; 285, 1/2
assistance

Conclusions: Nothing deep here, just that time spent preparing the matting under by bench for the best footing is time very well spent. 295 felt a little uncertain because I didn't feel stable. Then I stripped 10 off, moved the matting around, and felt like a boss.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:24 am

Feb. 23: Heavy SQ/DL Rogozhnikov tells you to do a gym max in the squat and go pretty easy on the deads today (60% for 6/3).

Bwt today is 175, inadvertently down three and a half pounds from five weeks ago, through a combination of cleaner eating and (I'd guess) the reduced volume.

suited SQ 335, 1; 378, 1; 409, 1; 433, 1
The 409 wasn't the cakewalk that 405 was two and a half weeks ago, and 433 was a grind. I'm a little surprised. I think I was too desperate to get depth let my knees come forward. That will need to be the main focus of my one remaining heavy squat day before meet.

sumo in belt and slippers 330, 6/3
Damn, I really am thinner. I had to tighten belt an extra notch.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Keep eating clean, but eat some ice cream at night. Word.

Put a doubled mini band around your knees when you squat. Pushing out against band will keep you in right groove. Do not grind anything during your last squat workout. Do not wash your squat gear unless your weight keeps dropping. When you get your shirt out it on and work your opener down from 3 to 2 to 1 to a small phone book. Tuck your elbows and let it touch!

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:22 pm

Jack, 10-4 on the mini-band. Thank you.

Feb. 26: Light bench

raw bench 180, 7; 175, 8, 7
R elbow soreness was a limiting factor here.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:28 pm

Mar. 2: Light SQ

SQ in powerpants, belt, loose-to-medium wraps 295, 6/3
no pulls
assistance

Conclusions: With no suit, depth and keeping knees out were no problem, so I had a chance to pay attention to pulling bar down with lats and arching upper back to keep a high chest. Funny thing is where those two things make the movement feel more comfortable and efficient: in my hip joints.

Next week comes one last heavy week before the last light week and a week's rest. Thank God. I feel worn down. It has more to do with work than training, but it's fatigue just the same.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:29 am

Mar. 6: Heavy bench

This was an incredible goat-fuck. I held up this last heavy workout til the shirt finally came today: an Inzer basic denim (one ply). I've heard of people not even getting to their raw max their first time in a shirt, but I got stapled by 245.

Using Tuscherer's technique I got the shirt on by myself ok. (The weight that I lost came in the 5 weeks since I ordered it.) Not even any baby powder. Weirder still, I could touch with 135. 185 didn't feel easy--there's no spring in this thing like in the slingshot I've been making do with. 205 was fine, 225 didn't feel smooth, and then I got stopped with 245. It felt like the worst of both worlds: the shirt kept me from sinking the bar into my chest, so less push-press action there, but it also didn't give me any oomph out of the bottom. I maneuvered the shirt's neck down in front, figuring that I could at least get some leverage using the back of my neck against the shirt, but that didn't seem to do anything. I also went back to 225 for more singles trying to tune into BD's saying that "the path of most resistance is the path of most assistance" and found just a little bit to work with there, but not much.

Mormon Jesus is cursing me, man. I made one joke about Him and then He go and do me like this.

Part of me wants to say "fuck it" and do the bench part of this meet raw, to spare me the humiliation of having to bench a mighty 100kg in fucking denim, but I also don't have a clue what I'm capable of raw right now, since I haven't worked with more than 185 raw in ...[checking log]...Jesus Fucking Christ, eight months! Fuck me, no wonder I suck. [weeping and gnashing teeth, rending garments]