Building a baseline

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Building a baseline

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:09 pm

[*]Been a hectic few months going to try logging again, I'm on my way down to light weight which is under 76kg in the GI I'm currently 82kg down from 87kg.

I have a submission only match this Saturday that I have been training for using only jiu jitsu no outside conditioning work, this could be fatal lol. Its a 15 minute match if no submission its classed as a tie no points counted.

Who knows I may compete more this year, I'm not normally interested in competitions as they are expensive and arranging childcare is a hassle - never gonna be a world champ with an attitude like that haha.

Anyway I'm into jiu jitsu for life not just short lived competition glory, a nice sweep in the gym or seeing my son enjoy training is more important than medals to me.

Oh and I'm still hunting the Roxa, it will be mine one day
Last edited by zak-zombie on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: The Kimono Lab and fighting the flab

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Good luck Zak!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:04 am

Welcome back. Kick ass.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:12 am

Kick ass, Zak!
"Nothing is harder / on the soul / than the smell of dreams / while they are evaporating." - Mahmoud Darwish

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:28 am

Welcome back, zak, and good luck!

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Nice to have another grappling log to check in on. Good training, Zak!
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks guys,

Its been a rough week, lots of shark tank drills and specific training with no rest 50 minutes of intense sparring. I've had my guard passed and been submitted more this week than in a long time lol, so that's a confidence builder ha! Although I will say I feel like the purpose of the last week was to ensure a never say die attitude is maintained in bad spots.

Last day of training today, a light day, one 15 minute round with my professor, where he just nullified my game for just about the whole time, my bright spot is guard passing and I managed to use my favoured x-pass, knee slide combo well. The last round was a short 5 minute round where used my bottom game, which is spider / x-guard combo attacking sweeps, omoplata and armbars

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Joint mobility and a quick stretch, rest of the day meditating on my opponents destruction.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Choke a bitch, Brother!

W.B. Yeats

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:37 pm

Fight day weighed in 6kg under the weight, fight went well came close to finishing it with a wrist lock and armbar, the armbar was what led to my doom, I rushed the position and it let to me getting collar choke. I learned a good amount tonight about not rushing, thing is I felt good, zero nerves and felt confident.

These things are sent to try I us, I will come back stronger, I took this fight on 2 weeks notice, next time a full camp and maybe some strength work, plus I plan on being 76 kg for this one, I weighed in at 82 today

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Way to step up. I've heard that one comp is equal to six months of training.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:25 am

Way to jump into the Deep End, Zak!

W.B. Yeats

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:19 pm

It's so hard not to rush submissions some times, definitely a psychological thing. Good work getting in there Zak!
"Nothing is harder / on the soul / than the smell of dreams / while they are evaporating." - Mahmoud Darwish

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Back on there mats past two days training:

Monday: GI class, covered de la riva guard passes to the back, using the leg drag position to do so. Ended class with 30 mins sparring,

Tuesday: nogi, its been about a year since my last nogi session, felt good to shed the GI, felt a good amount of freedom, was good fun too. The kimono is still were its at though.

Need to find some way to fit in some strength and conditioning

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:22 am

Thursday:

Trained twice today nogi in the morning then GI in the evening

Nogi: two takedowns, arm drag into a single leg and a high crotch pick/slam, then we drilled some arm bars and triangles, rolling was good, guillotine city - marcelo style.

GI: drilled some hook guard entries and then moved onto studying some de la rival sweeps, rolling involved me using x-guard something which is unintentional on my part I just seen to end up there, sweeping and ending up on top, not that I'm complaining.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Friday:

Morning GI class, de la riva sweeps chained together then some sparring, today was the day of the bow and arrow choke, one of my favourites.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 pm

Weekend of debauchery eating and drinking has ended back to the real world:

Monday:

Vertical lift 12kg dbs x 50/50
10 mins density set of pushups and rows
10 mins of goblet squats using 16 and 24kg bells
2 x 6 rollouts

BJJ - class was on passing the de la riva guard using an x-pass and leg drag, rolling for 7 minute rounds today, butterfly guard worked well for me today hook sweep city. At the end of class I did 5 minute round of skipping, planning on upping this and doing it at the end of class.

Outside of BJJ I'm going to rotate moderate vertical lift/kettlebell and yoga sessions no killer workouts.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Tuesday:

Nogi, was asked to take the class so I showed some butterfly guard work, a couple of sweeps and a omoplata, rolled with a couple of new people, one who was very unsure of himself so I took care to explain the basics and another who wanted to play rough. Skipping at the end of class 6 mins.

Evening workout:

C + PP 3 x 1,2,3 24kg bell
Row 3 x 5/5 24 kg bell
Goblet squat 3 x 10 24kg bell

5 rounds of:

Swing x 20 24kg bell
Push up x 5

Plank and rollout circuit

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:34 pm

Wednesday:

20 mins original YRG

BJJ, or second blackbelt taught a class on passing the half guard, basic stuff which works well. Specific sparring from half guard, sweep or submit, followed by full rolling all good stuff tonight felt good flowing well from sweep to submission - enjoying the crest now because the dip in form will surely come soon, haha.

Finished the class with 6 mins skipping.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:50 pm

Thursday:

Morning nogi: worked on the arm bar from guard defending the stack and a bicep slicer, rolling was fast and furious today I did not want to get stuck under the huge monsters so I hide on their backs and choke them, the marcelotine worked well too.

Evening GI: de la riva passes using the leg drag, rolling was OK nothing much to report, had a talk with a blue belt who is in a slump and thinking of taking some time off, talked to him about just keep on turning up, we've all been there at some point.

Jump rope : 7 mins, much smoother technique now

No other conditioning, 2 trainings a day is enough I think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:07 pm

You're really training hard now man, I totally agree that at most some rope skipping and stretching is all you should be doing. And eating like a horse.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks Fat Cat, I'm trying to train hard, I'm 35 this year and realised I still have a few hard years training in me. I agree about the jump rope and stretching I still like using the cattleballs, paid so much I refuse to let them gather too much dust haha.

Friday:

BJJ GI, more de la riva passing, its been a major focus for us since Leo and Gabriel were here so many guards are linked to it like a hub. Rolling was OK today rolled with one of our older brown belts other people go crazy on but I refuse out of respect he is well past physical prime and his balance is going, he has a lot of information to share I learn a lot from him, to be honest I see him as an inspiration to keep training. He's training for the love of the art - which we all should be doing

Jump rope 10 mins

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:36 pm

I absolutely think that kettlebells are a good training choice, but they will still be there when you are not training as frequently. Two-a-days are enough of a demand on any man with a job; there's no reason to go overboard.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:44 pm

I believe I agree with Fats.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks for the input guys!

Saturday: taught the kids class, kept it playful and fun, played some Gracie games with my son in the evening

Monday:

BJJ: taught the class tonight in the absence of the coaches, always feel weird teaching. Went over the strategy of pulling guard and then a guard pull faint to takedown, moved onto 2-3 defences to the over under pass. No training though for me as I was the odd man out and missed sparring too. No jump rope tonight either as I had to bounce straight after class.