Building a baseline

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Re: The Kimono Lab and fighting the flab

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Tuesday:

Morning nogi, drilled arm bars from guard then flowed onto a stacking defence, spinning under to finish the arm bar then on to an omoplata if they try to hitch-hike out of the arm bar and finally a triangle. Rolling was not good for me today, succumbed to two kneebars, silly thing is I watched the setup and did nothing for some reason - felt half a pace too slow, fought off many toehold and footlock attempts. Managed to pull put a toehold of my own.

Evening GI, open mat so rolled for the full time about an hour and a half with one a blue belt who knows how to flow so it was nice exchanging a lot of positions without a whole lot of force being used.

Foam roll when I got home, stretching tomorrow before class.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Wednesday:

Felt tired today, only one training session.

BJJ, worked a classic closed guard sequence - armbar, triangle, omoplata, was on the wring side of a beating today. Just not my day today caught myself watching more than doing so its not like I didn't have time to stop what was happening, still good learning - tapping is like medicine and I need medicine to get better!

Oh and I broke my little toe, heard it crack mid roll, carried on till the end of the round and then sat out. Wrestling boots for a few weeks now then.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Thursday:

Taught the kids class, went over the triangle from guard, showing a couple of setups. No training for me, my toe is too sore to even fit into my wrestling boots, maybe tomorrow.

Mobility and breathing practice.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:40 pm

After 2 broken toes, I always wear the wrestling shoes. The downside is increased vulnerability to heelhooks, etc.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:17 pm

The only time we are allowed to wear wrestling boots is either when wrestling or if you have a toe injury Johno, I actually prefer not wearing them, its only the second time in 5 years I broke a toe.

Friday, BJJ was asked to take another class, because the professor was taking several of our fighters to weigh ins for their K1 bouts tomorrow, we also have a team travelling for a BJJ comp tomorrow too. I showed some basic de la rival guard sweeps and an omoplata, sat out of rolling till the very end when I stepped in to keep the numbers even, my partner went wild, so I answered with my patented knee on chest/skull ride.

Evening kettle bell workout, swings, goblet squats and pushups, skipping is out for now till my toe heals a bit

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Another weekend of debauchery, I manage OK during the week but I keep falling for the classic weekend binge. Diet during the week is a bit like a slow carb diet, no grains or potatoes, plenty of veg and meat, I've noticed a difference on the mat as well - good eating = good recovery and steady energy, not rocket science but worth noting.

Monday

BJJ, specific guard sparring to warm up with the guard player holding tennis balls, so no grips, was fun and interesting. Class was on basic guard passing really good to get back to basics, full rolling was good, even though a broken toe seems to hurt more than it should considering its size haha. Experimented with keeping extra tight, which is not normally my game.

Did a quick kettle bell workout in the morning, clean and push presses, swings and pushups and some jungle gym rows.

No two a day BJJ/GI this next 2 weeks as the kids are on holiday from school, now how to keep them entertained....

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 am

Teach them to wrestle.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Teach them to wrestle.
Yes I use the Gracie games with my son he loves them, my daughters are in their teens now and have no real interest although the oldest is joining our woman's program soon.

Tuesday

BJJ open mat, rolled with one our resident judo black belts who is also a blue belt, he has excellent top pressure and I made the mistake of being to relaxed he gave me a very hard time, he controls the hips really well - made for a miserable night. The guy in question is also kind of a spoiler in the sense he won't open up the game, but that's my job right? Anyway when I finally swept him I proceed to wrist lock the hell out of him.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Wednesday,

Gracie games with the boy for half an hour, then I lifted some kettlebells while he lifted some bands and did his variation of pushups, I done my usual work out of swings, goblet squats, pushups and clean and push presses.

BJJ, warm up sparring holding tennis balls - same as Monday. Class was on arm bar from guard, sweeping to the standard arm bar position and some grip breaks from their defences. Full rolling fairly light night tonight, mainly rolled with white belts, including one very new lad who I just let do what he wished if it was technically right or near enough. Still trying to wrist lock everyone.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:40 pm

Thursday

BJJ, worked on guard passing one pass for the de la riva and the butterfly, rolled some then had to leave early.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Friday:

BJJ, some pass defence stuff, including some guard retrieval, we then sparred for a long time, rolling went as well as can be expected when you get beasted by your professor, his mount/knee ride game is horrid to try and defend against, he is a great believer in mount being the most dominant position and demonstrates that when rolling with him, its suffocating. Other than that rolling was good, we have a seminar with Jackson Souza tomorrow, a top brown belt from Rio under Ricardo.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:52 pm

Saturday:

BJJ, seminar with Jackson Sousa, he may be one of the worlds top brown belts - nice extension of Ricardo's game, passing, side control and spider guard. He broke everything down too posture, control, sweeps/submission. Really interesting details on passing the deep half and open guard. Sweeps were basic in theory and application bit the details of how and when to apply where awesome. Came away very happy with what I learned today, I'm normally happy if I come away with one detail to add to my game, today I came away with several.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Sunday:

KB work, clean and presses, swings, pushups and chin ups with a isometric pause at the top and middle.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Monday

BJJ, warmed up and sparred a little but I had to leave early. Not much to report.

Tuesday

BJJ/MMA: helped one of our mma fighters by being a willing victim. Went over some takedowns and takedown defence from strikes, my striking skills are rudimentary at best so I kept it simple - I'm no BJ-Penn. Wrestled for a bit then mma sparring for half an hour, on the bottom I use the old faithful Gracie basics for striking defence etc, works well for me, I don't spar enough mma to try anything fancy, on top I have a transition game anyway so I was using strikes to set up mounted crucifix's. Don't get me wrong I'm by no means good at this I'm just describing what I was trying to do.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Wednesday,

BJJ, warmed up with guard retention drills then moved onto passing the sit up guard position, drilled one pass and one submission form the entire class. Specific sparring from the sit up guard.

Kettlebells, clean and push presses, followed buy swings and pushups.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:50 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeJ2_Is ... r/[youtube]

Red belt Renato x Ricardo our academies master

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:27 pm

Great video, Grandmaster Paqueta is the man. I love him.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks for the video Fat Cat, posted from my tablet PC wasn't sure if it worked. Renato is the man, still on the mats most days, legit bad ass in his hay day too.

BJJ, side control escapes/reversals and guard retrievals where the order of today, then some specific sparring that ended badly for one lad who dislocated his knee, horrible sound it made too. Specific sparring was mount from side control, so the drill was focused on improving mounting skills, harder than it sounds when the person on bottom only has to avoid mount to win.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Friday:

BJJ, class was on passing the guard, smashing style passes. Some specific sparring to pass the guard, bottom person could only sweep - frustrating not being able to submit or threaten too. Rolled with our older brown belt, his balance is going he often staggers when standing up, I don't go crazy its not respectful, he may not be in his prime but he has a lot to share, he holds a black belt in judo and is also ranked in savate.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Sunday:

Kettlebells:

All done with the 24kg bell 5 times through:

1. Swing x 10
2. Push press 5/5
3. Single leg dead lift 5/5
4. Clean 5/5
5. Side bend 5/5
6. Goblet squat 5

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Monday:

BJJ, passing the guard, using pressure, posture and base using these concepts applied to several basic passes. We sparred to warm up using the tennis ball drills. Specific sparring at the end was to mount from side control.

Yoga in the morning for 40 mins.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:55 pm

Tuesday:

Nogi/mma, worked takedowns and takedown defence using strikes, worked takedown defence from the cage. Mma sparring to finish with the lad who is fighting on Saturday, worked him hard, I'm tired now already and its only Tuesday, not good.

Yoga in the evening for 20 mins

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Wednesday

BJJ, drilled three closed guard openings and passes, for 45 mins, then drilled soon hook guard entries and sweeps, looks a little x-guard something the coaches brought back from Brazil, specific sparring for 40 mins, classes at our academy are about 2-2.5 hours on a Monday and Wednesday.

Yoga, 15 mins in the morning with 10 mins savasana

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Thursday:

BJJ, worked a couple of spider guard sweeps, I have to say I enjoy spider guard, its one of my favourite positions to attack from, so any class on this position I enjoy. No rolling tonight for me, my right leg is very sore, I've no idea what I have done to it, may not train at all tomorrow.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:46 am

Friday,

No BJJ, gave my leg some much needed rest I will return to the mats Monday. Completed some meditation, only 6 mins but its a start and something I've been doing every morning this week.

Ordered a 32kg bell today, seen a good offer online. I know they are much maligned here at times, but they are ideal for me to use and take up minimal storage in my small home.