Building a baseline

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Re: The Kimono Lab and fighting the flab

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Sunday:

Did the lower body workout from the trx force program, using the jungle gym. Leg feels a lot better.

Played some Gracie games with the boy for half an hour.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Monday:

Arte suave, some quick drills to warm up based on guard passing. Class was on the spider guard two sweeps which can be done from knees or standing, lots of specific sparring to finish. I've said it before but I really believe specific sparring is the key to getting better quicker - and its fun.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Tuesday,

Nogi class, takedown class double leg with several set ups and a ankle pick. Wrestled for a long time and some decent sparring at the end.

30 mins yoga in the evening, have had to dial the grappling back as requested by the wife so its only 5-6 times a week for now.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Wednesday,

BJJ, warm up using breaking the closed guard, class was again on the spider guard. Specific sparring to finish, for 45 mins king of the hill style it was exhausting work.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 pm

Thursday:

BJJ, the professor paired us up, I got paired up with the professor. Class was 3 half hour sparring session first half was defend the pass using only tennis balls in the hands no grips, second was sweep only or pass, the final was full sparring. was a long hard but good class. Oss!

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:17 am

Friday

BJJ, basic class as there was a few new starters, opening the closed guard and a scissor sweep. Rolling with some beginners I showed them the ropes, goals and things they should/shouldn't be trying to do for example don't try and push me off the mount.

Diet is in the shitter, need to get back on it quickly.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Monday:

Purchased Steve Maxwells book on how Kettlebells system on Kindle last week, decided to follow the 8 week program using light Kettlebells.

Day 1 consisted of conditioning using, basic swings, cleans and snatches.

BJJ, class was on passing the de la riva guard, followed by guard sparring for 50 mins only changing partner once. I was paired with two fellow blue belts on who is a judo blackbelt with a horrible pressure based passing style and ungodly strong and the other with our resident wrestler who has awesome base and the balance of a cat, needless to say it was a long night.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:28 pm

I'll be curious what you think of the Maxwell product, I've had my eye on it.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:02 pm

I believe ABW purchased that and was doing it for a while. Might want to check out his training log.

EDIT: He may have done a different Maxwell kb program. Sorry.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:59 am

It is the same product that ABW reviewed, its a good product, about 60 exercises are demonstrated along with a paragraph on the details of each lift. The eight week program contains four workouts a week and generally follow this format:

1. Conditioning/full body
2. Upper body
3. Lower body
4. Core

The workouts are a variety of sets and reps, ladders and time and towards the end of the program double bells of the same size are needed. There are eight speciality workouts at the end which are stand alone and they are also good quality. No fluff in the book and all workouts seem to encourage a balance between, strength, conditioning and mobility.

Hope this helps Fat Cat.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:50 pm

Cool, I will definitely grab it on down the line.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:53 pm

No worries, if you need anymore info on the book, just ask!

Tuesday,

Nogi, lots of work on setting up the double leg with three alternate finishes. On the ground we cover to side control escapes that can be linked together, rolling was a continuation of a theme for me as of late, using the guard more staying on my back, its easy for me to get carried away on top and create an imbalance in my game as I've grown to love being on top passing the guard.

BJJ, in the evening open mat so I rolled for half an hour with an over enthusiastic white belt, who asking for help on how to improve but not listening to the answer or liking it - keep training and relax a little, I've come to think that most improvement will come from just turning up and training without to much thinking.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed May 01, 2013 9:56 pm

Thursday:

BJJ: warmup based on side control escapes and guard opening, much better than pushups and running about. Class was on passing the de la riva guard, 3 different passes drilled for an hour, then onto specific sparring for the last 40 mins.

KB conditioning Maxwell day 2 upper body workout.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu May 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Thursday

BJJ, class was on submissions from the back, rear naked choke, palm to palm grip choke, bow and arrow and finally a triangle. Not much to report from the rolling, just putting the time in.

Outside the mat some pretty heavy shit is going on, need to find some coherent way to blend in some Kettlebells, flexibility and jiu jitsu.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu May 02, 2013 9:35 pm

zak-zombie wrote:Outside the mat some pretty heavy shit is going on
Que?

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu May 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
zak-zombie wrote:Outside the mat some pretty heavy shit is going on
Que?
Teenage daughters are not fun and a major cause of worry and stress. Pretty much sums it up without going into detail.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu May 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Yo I hear that man, I thank Baby Jesus I have a son. Stay cool.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu May 02, 2013 10:34 pm

I have 2 daughters with the oldest just turning 13. Thankfully nothing major going on besides the usual emotional teenage girl stuff. Hopefully it stays that way.

Good luck with your situation, zak. I hope it gets resolved soon.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon May 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks guys, you can only do your best to instill a combination of confidence, sense of self worth, discipline, love, respect etc and get them to adulthood in one piece.

Monday,

Spent the day in a country park, exploring, playing football with the boy and enjoying the nice weather while it lasts.

Jiu jitsu, side control escapes to warm up, focusing on the details using the correct escape depending on what the opponent is doing on top. Class was on breaking the closed guard and passing, 50 minutes of rolling, king of the hill style.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Tuesday:

Nogi/mma. I only turn up to this class to help my team mates who are fighting, its fun and hard work - it keeps you honest getting punched in the face.

Was going to do a workout in the evening, but its become apparent I need to workout earlier in the day, I stopped after the joint mobility workout.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri May 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Been lazy with logging, jiu jitsu has been good as always even when your getting smashed and beaten. You know you've made a connection with jiu jitsu when you enjoy these times as much if not more than when your doing the smashing.

I've been doing some yoga/sandbag/Kettlebells stuff on a adhoc basis, along the lines of the Issac Hayes/primal blueprint.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri May 17, 2013 10:12 pm

zak-zombie wrote:Been lazy with logging, jiu jitsu has been good as always even when your getting smashed and beaten. You know you've made a connection with jiu jitsu when you enjoy these times as much if not more than when your doing the smashing. . . .
Sooth!

I was driving home from class a couple of weeks ago thinking about how good training had went and when I realized I never attempted a single submission. It didn't lessen my joy.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Monday,

Did half an hour of body weight squats and rows in the morning.

BJJ, Warm ups where guard passing drills, much better than mindless pushups etc, class was on passing the spider guard, then specific sparring from the open guard, 2 lads were promoted to blue belt and where soundly whipped as a result.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Tuesday:

Nogi, drilled some back takes and variations from closed guard, then rolled nothing much to report, hours on the mat, skills in the bank its probably these 'nothing' sessions that do more to improve my jiu jitsu than the holy fuck I was awesome.

Did some low volume bodyweight and Kettlebell snatch work, followed by some stretching.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed May 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Wednesday:

I've signed up for a local 10k adventure race/assault course at the end of July, kind of a once or twice a year where I challenge myself to do something I don't normally, should be good fun, mud plus booze plus womenz sounds good to me.

BJJ, did 100 reps of guard opening drills to warm up then worked on smashing the half guard with pressure, not just strength pressure but correct posture and using leverage, good stuff.