Fat... Slow... and Weak!

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

PlaywithmyballZ
Private

Fat... Slow... and Weak!

Post by PlaywithmyballZ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:43 am

This is my first post after following this site for a while. I am 37 years old, 5'7", 340 lbs., and I am Fat, Slow, and Weak! I haven't exercised since July 2009. I am in a completely unconditioned state, and I am by far the fattest and unhealthiest I've ever been. After such a long break from any sustained activity I am ready to get strong and healthy again.
I figure the first few weeks will be the hardest, anything longer than a thirty minute walk may be a struggle. Walking up a couple of flights of stairs is currently not an easy task. Walking, stretching, and general mobility will be my focus the first few weeks. I plan on also starting Wendler's 5/3/1 Boring but Big. My conditioning will consist of 30-60' of walking daily. I also own an Airdyne bike and will be doing short workouts on it to increase my cardiovascular capacity.

My 5/3/1 Boring but Big will be pretty basic:
Monday
Presses 5-3-1 reps
Benches 5 x 10
Bent Rows 5 x 10

Tuesday
Dead lift 5-3-1 reps
Squat 5 x 10
Leg Curls 5 x 10

Thursday
Benches 5-3-1 reps
Presses 5 x 10
Bent Rows 5 x 10

Friday
Squats 5-3-1 reps
Dead lifts 5 x 10
Good Mornings 5 x 10

I figure that this coupled with the daily walking will be enough to kick start the fat burning process. Also, I'll be following a mostly paleo type diet with lots of greens and vegetables and lean meats and fish. I'll be taking a one-a-day multi vitamin, fish oil, and a greens supplement. I hope to log on here regularly so that I can keep myself accountable in a public forum. If any of you have any advice please feel free to help out. (And YES I have read the Nuggets post by Chris Shugart! I agree, I'm a fat disgusting slob and children really should point and laugh at me until I put the triple baconator with cheese and milk shake down.)

"With so many Africans in Greece… At least the West Nile mosquitoes will eat home made food!!!” ~ Voula Papachristou, Greek Olympic long jumper

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Fat... Slow... and Weak!

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:06 am

You are doing a program to get big, and you are already too big. Go for a hike, a swim, or a bike ride.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

PlaywithmyballZ
Private

Post by PlaywithmyballZ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:10 am

That will be my main focus plus healthy eating habits. Getting my body walking and moving everyday is the number one goal. I just figured that building muscle and getting stronger would help me achieve greater fat loss. But, yes, I see your point.

"With so many Africans in Greece… At least the West Nile mosquitoes will eat home made food!!!” ~ Voula Papachristou, Greek Olympic long jumper

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:51 am

Dear Cantfindmyballz, I smell a troll. If you're on the level, take Fat Cat's advice, go for a walk, lots of them, swim, just move. Fucking Leg Curls are you fucking kidding me? No way you can get your fat ass contorted onto a leg curl apparatus if as out of shape and weak as you say. Fuck Leg curls, get some walking shoes and wear them out, then buy three more pairs. Drop 30 pounds and then get back on here. If that's not in the next month to six weeks, you aren't serious. And Welcome to IGX, we care about your health.

PlaywithmyballZ
Private

Post by PlaywithmyballZ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:00 am

I'm 100% for real and not a troll. I honestly thought a simple walking program plus a basic lifting program would be the best way to get fit. I'm posting here because I'm serious about getting my health back. I've read these forums for a long time now and know that y'all have a lot of knowledge to offer a beginner. I'll be posting my progress regularly.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:08 am

Okay, will take you at your word. IMO, diet/exercise should be 80/20 in reaching your goals. Will look forward to following your progress. You might also want to check out Yoga for Regular Guys too, Diamond Dallas Page's stuff.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:33 am

This and lots of walking. Basic weight lifting should be okay as well but the core of your program should be walking and YRG and a very healthy diet.
DikTracy6000 wrote:You might also want to check out Yoga for Regular Guys too, Diamond Dallas Page's stuff.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 am

I think your plan is fine. Maybe toss the leg curls for GHRs or back extensions. And for all your assistance work keep the weight very light and stick to a stopwatch. 5 sets of 10 with 1:00-1:30 rest will give you a good conditioning effect so long as you keep the weights low enough to not have to grind them out.

Second Mick's YRG recommendation. You'll definitely need some form of mobility in the program.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:38 pm

PlaywithmyballZ wrote:I'm 100% for real and not a troll. I honestly thought a simple walking program plus a basic lifting program would be the best way to get fit. I'm posting here because I'm serious about getting my health back. I've read these forums for a long time now and know that y'all have a lot of knowledge to offer a beginner. I'll be posting my progress regularly.
As Alfred said, it can work, but there are two things you should focus on above all else:

1. Sticking to a routine. This means that even if you are too sore, tired, or unmotivated to walk or get in the gym and lift, still go and do something. Walking is easy. Doing something in the gym can be harder, but don't be afraid to lighten the load, lessen the reps, or just stretch. Getting into the habit of sticking to your schedule is important. Its also important that you don't burn yourself out with a plan that is too ambitious.

2. Cleaning up your diet. What you are currently doing is not working for you, but it is what it is. Changing your diet completely right now will be stressful and again, hard to work into your routine. Start writing down what you're eating and you'll see right away what needs to go. Change one thing every week or two.

Good luck.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

PlaywithmyballZ
Private

Post by PlaywithmyballZ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:38 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I'm definitely going to keep you all posted on my progress. I'll take everyone's advice abf stick situ walking/stretching/yoga and cleaning up my food. I've been a sugar junkie for too damn long and it shows. Definitely cutting out the breads, sugar, and processed garbage I've been shoving down my pie hole.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Listen to syaigh before the rest of these dick lickers. She's smart, nice, knows her shit and doesn't seem to have a problem putting someone in their place when they've shown themselves to be mentally deficient.

Good luck.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:54 pm

Best of luck with your goals. Remember that you are currently walking around with an almost 200 LB weight vest on, so you are probably not weak. You just need to take that damn thing off.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 pm

So...are you planning on actually posting a workout?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

PlaywithmyballZ
Private

Post by PlaywithmyballZ » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 pm

I'm doing the old USMC Daily 16 warm-up, stretching, and workout. This was Day One!

Warm-up, each for a ten count:
Run in place
Punches forward
Punches upwards
Arm circles
Stop run in place
Neck circles
Trunk circles
Trunk twists
Knee and ankle circles

Stretching, hold each for 10-15 seconds
Triceps stretch
Upper back stretch
Chest stretch
Iliotibial band stretch (standing)
Calf stretch (standing)
Hip and back stretch (seated)
Hurdler stretch (seated)
Groin stretch (seated)

Exercises:
Jumping jacks x 20
Squats x 10
Push ups (from the knees) x 5
Dirty dogs x 5 each side
Crunches x 10
Back extensions x 10
Elbow to knee crunches x 5 each side
Lunges (holding onto chair for stability) x 5 each leg
Jumping jacks x 20

Walking on the treadmill on a 2% inclined at 3.5 mph for 20 minutes.

Exercises:
Jumping jacks x 20
Squats x 20
Push ups (from the knees) x 10
Dirty dogs x 10 each side
Crunches x 10
Back extensions x 10
Elbow to knee crunches x 5 each side
Lunges (holding onto chair for stability) x 10 each leg
Jumping jacks x 20

Stretching, holding each for 20 seconds:
Triceps stretch
Upper back stretch
Chest stretch
Iliotibial band stretch (standing)
Calf stretch (standing)
Hip and back stretch (seated)
Hurdler stretch (seated)
Groin stretch (seated)

All in all a great first day. I got a really good sweat going and felt fantastic afterwards. The elbow to knee crunches were extremely difficult due to the size of my stomach. Lunges were also very difficult due to my sheer size and weight. I am going to keep using chair for stability until I can do them free standing.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:20 pm

And so it begins. Good start. I'd be curious as to how sore are you today or tomorrow? If you managed all those bwt squats and lunges, be careful with your knees at 340. Will be watching your log big guy.

PlaywithmyballZ
Private

Post by PlaywithmyballZ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 am

Ok... This is harder than I thought! My upper body was extremely sore on Friday and Saturday. This is what I did Saturday and Monday nights:

Day Two, 4/6/13:
Run in place, Punches forward, Punches upwards, Arm circles, Stop run in place, Neck circles, Trunk circles, Trunk twists, Knee and ankle circles

Triceps stretch, Upper back stretch, Chest stretch, iliotibial band stretch (standing), Calf stretch (standing), Hip and back stretch (seated), Hurdler stretch (seated), Groin stretch (seated)

Skipped the body weight exercises and got straight into the walking. Again I set the treadmill to 2% incline, 3.5 miles per hour. I got twenty minutes in tonight. I feel great after this and my legs, knees, and back feel even better!

Stretching, hold each for 30-40 seconds
Triceps stretch, Upper back stretch, Chest stretch, iliotibial band stretch (standing), Calf stretch (standing), Hip and back stretch (seated), Hurdler stretch (seated), Groin stretch (seated)

Day Three, 4/8/13:

Run in place, Punches forward, Punches upwards, Arm circles, Stop run in place, Neck circles, Trunk circles, Trunk twists, Knee and ankle circles.

This warm-up really gets me ready! The running in place especially gets me ready mentally and physically. I don't feel any tightness during stretching after this short exertion.

Skipped the body weight exercises again tonight and got started walking on the treadmill. I set the treadmill to a 3% incline with a 3.5 miles per hour speed. I got twenty-five (25!) minutes on the treadmill tonight. I'm shooting for thirty minutes Wednesday. Hopefully I'll feel up to doing my squats, lunges, and pushes again this week.

Stretching, hold each for 30-40 seconds
Triceps stretch, Upper back stretch, Chest stretch, iliotibial band stretch (standing), Calf stretch (standing), Hip and back stretch (seated), Hurdler stretch (seated), Groin stretch (seated). Stretching feels good and I think I'm already getting more flexible. It's funny how a little goes a LONG way when ya start at zero. Feeling good!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 am

Exercise every day, not every other day or every third day.