::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:08 pm

2013.04.08PM; jiu-jitsu...in celebration of my teacher's elevation to grandmaster, I am inaugurating a new log.

Warmed up sparring with a couple of blue belts, swapping one out when the other got that "not so fresh" feeling. Both kind of radiated that sullen, passive aggressive energy; on the one hand I understand that young men don't like taking beatings but on the other hand they both should understand that I am a resource there for them, a mirror they hold up to themselves. Anyway, I played mostly half guard until I swept them, then mount and submit.

After than an hour of drilling: first half an hour was duckunders to a clinch and slam or tani-otoshi if the guy is big enough that picking hip up isn't on the table, second half an hour was devoted to arm triangle chokes from side control which is a technique I hardly ever use.

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Soupbone

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Soupbone » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Respect.
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:44 pm

An appreciation for drilling and ass whippings from black belts comes with age.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:25 pm

2013.04.10PM; Hackenschmidt system…our family has been going through a little bit of drama recently. During a physical for my son the doctor noticed something in his neck, and when they couldn’t determine what it was after successive ultrasounds, we had to see a pediatric surgeon who ordered an MRI.

This is a big deal for a little kid, and he had to be sedated, which we did last Saturday. I finally got the results today, with an “all clear” determination, so I just wanted to be at home and play with my son and praise God. I've been pretty stressed about the whole thing and had that exhausted feeling of relief. We played with water guns in the backyard and did this little workout.

1. One Hand Snatch 1 x 10/10 @ 16 kg, 1 x 10/10 @ 24 kg, 1 x 4/5 @ 32 kg
2. Two Hand Jerk 1 x 10 @ 2 x 16 kg, 1 x 10 @ 2 x 24 kg, 1 x 4 @ 2 x 32 kg
3. Ring Chins x 1, 2, 3
4. Box Jumps 5 x 12”, 5 x 16”

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Fat Cat wrote:“all clear” determination
What a relief that must be.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:26 pm

Yeah dude, nothing like the possibility of a sick child to send a chill down my spine. Thankfully, we were dealt better cards than that.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:02 am

Great news. Nothing changes a man like being a dad.

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 am

Such a terrible feeling to have beforehand, glad to know your boy is ok.
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:12 am

The truth.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:40 am

Great to hear everything turned out okay, Fats.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:49 am

Such a sick feeling of helplessness when your kids are sick. Glad to hear all is well.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:23 am

Glad things turned out OK Fat's, kids are both a constant worry and a joy.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks guys.

2013.04.10PM; jiu-jitsu...one hour of sparring with a brown belt and a white belt, swapping one out when the other cashed in his chips. I was pleased that caught the brown belt from the back with the bow and arrow choke of justice. Some stretching and I left.

I am still feeling beat after an 6 days of training plus 6 additional hours of seminars this past weekend.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:23 pm

2013.04.11PM; jiu-jitsu...no-gi day. First training element was having a brown belt climb on my back and try to submit me over and over, while I worked to defend and escape. I managed well, he never managed to submit me, or even keep me in the position, and only once did he even manage to switch to a solid position.

After that rolled with an older purple belt, he's coming back after knee surgery, so it was very gentle paced and I let him have what he wanted. I just kept moving, feigned a few submission attempts, and let him move around to get the feeling back.

Aloha!

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Anything of note technically from the workshop that you liked?
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:04 pm

Oh yeah, here's one...difficult to describe but it is the vale-tudo evolution of knee on belly, where you throw them, lock the near arm with an overhook and drop the knee into their floating ribs. Then, stomp the head, palm to the ear to break the eardrum, knuckles to the orbital socket to cut their face up, palm strikes to the locked shoulder socket to dislocated the shoulder, knee drops to break the ribs, then figure four arm lock to break the arm.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:33 pm

Jeezus! That's brutal.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:34 am

Ed Zachary wrote:Jeezus! That's brutal.
That's Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:36 am

2013.04.12PM; jiu-jitsu...I taught an hour self defense class on standing headlock defenses, then some rolling with a senior brown belt. I put him away with a cross collar choke and an armbar, both from mount. Easy as 1...2...3...

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:37 am

2013.04.13AM; jiu-jitsu...training with the kids, various games and letting them pass my guard. Have old friends in town and was up late drinking whiskey with them, so I was a little bit hungover to be honest and it felt good to sweat it out although I was somewhat aghast at first.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:44 am

2013.04.13PM; Hackenschmidt system…

1. One Hand Swing 2 x 10/10 @ 24 kg
2. One Hand Clean and Press 2 x 10/10 @ 24 kg
3. Ring Pullups 2 x 1, 2, 3
4. Ring Pushups 2 x 10
5. Farmer Walks 2 x 1:00 @ 2 x 24 kg
6. Goblet Squat 2 x 10 @ 24 kg

Time was 27:19

Aloha!

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:44 am

Good news on your son.

Also impressive to see how you work with other, lesser ranked and skilled people in your classes. I used to hate working with better people who just looked at it as an opportunity to beat someone up, either on the mats or in the ring.

Working with better people who could expose shortcomings, still get their work in, and make it valuable for both of us was awesome.

Very impressive on your part to be a resource, even if these guys get tied up and worked over a little. A fine line between ass kickings and valuable learning experiences.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 pm

baffled wrote:Good news on your son.

Also impressive to see how you work with other, lesser ranked and skilled people in your classes. I used to hate working with better people who just looked at it as an opportunity to beat someone up, either on the mats or in the ring.

Working with better people who could expose shortcomings, still get their work in, and make it valuable for both of us was awesome.

Very impressive on your part to be a resource, even if these guys get tied up and worked over a little. A fine line between ass kickings and valuable learning experiences.
Thanks for the good wishes. I've learned through experience that jiu-jitsu is a social art, as well as a martial art, and that you need other people. That being true, you have to make yourself into a resource for other people, and when you do, over time they can become a resource to you. If all I do is beat on people and humiliate them or hurt them, and they run off it is counter productive for both of us. Just like in boxing, you've got to "bring them along".

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 pm

2013.04.14PM; six mile hike, as much for mental decompression as physical exercise. Aloha!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:06 am

Fat Cat wrote:
baffled wrote:Good news on your son.

Thanks for the good wishes. I've learned through experience that jiu-jitsu is a social art, as well as a martial art, and that you need other people. That being true, you have to make yourself into a resource for other people, and when you do, over time they can become a resource to you. If all I do is beat on people and humiliate them or hurt them, and they run off it is counter productive for both of us. Just like in boxing, you've got to "bring them along".

100%

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy