::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:49 pm

2013.06.01AM; my wife and son are leaving for Europe Sunday night so I am prioritizing them, but I needed a back off week anyway so all weights were pegged to .8 of last weeks weights.

1. Bench Press 5 x 3, 3 x 5 (110-125-135-15-160, 120-135-145)
2. Deadlift 2 x 8, 1 x 5, 1 x 3 (110-165-190-240)
3. Ring Pullups 4 x 2
4. Curls 3 x 10 @ 70

Aloha!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:14 am
Location: under max brooks house

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Hope you enjoy your trip Fats my mother in law goes to Medjugorje once a year, I've been once remarkable area of the world very mountainous too.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Hey Zak, thanks for the good wishes. I will actually be around for about 3 more weeks and then will follow them over for a month. That is cool that you have been to Medjugorje; I honestly didn't like it very much just for the commercialization of religion but Herzegovina is beautiful. We have lots of family in Buna, near Mostar. If you ever get a chance to back, try crossing the border into Montenegro (it's close!) and check out this place, Ostrog Monastery:

Image
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:45 pm

2013.06.03PM; jiu-jitsu....sparring for the warm up for about half an hour, then an hour drilling passes and attacks from closed guard, then a little more sparring. I am alone now so I had to hurry home to cook my own dinner :(

Aloha!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Soupbone
Top
Posts: 2207
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:45 am
Location: In the winter of my discontent..

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Soupbone » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Fat Cat wrote:2013.06.03PM; jiu-jitsu....sparring for the warm up for about half an hour, then an hour drilling passes and attacks from closed guard, then a little more sparring. I am alone now so I had to hurry home to cook my own dinner :(

Aloha!
What's for supper?
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:40 pm

I pretty much follow the Gracie Diet when my family is away. It's easy and lends itself to bachelor eating. Last night I had quiche.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:14 am
Location: under max brooks house

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 pm

I went in 2003 it was pretty commercialised then, my mother in law has been going since the mid 90's even during some of the many troubles in the region, I went to Mostar felt strange to be in a place that had been in the news so much over the years.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Yeah, but old town Mostar is pretty cool, especially now that the bridge is rebuilt, I liked it a lot but Medjugorje not so much. I was taking my Catholic mother-in-law so it was mostly for her, and she was happy so whatever, it was an interesting experience to be to one of the true international pilgrimage places. I really like visiting the Orthodox monasteries and holy places in the Balkans, but they have a much quieter and more sober vibe.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:19 pm

2013.06.04PM; jiu-jitsu...an hour of sparring against a couple of big cornfed whiteboys.

I don't know if it's the weights or I'm getting old, but I have been stiff and sore as a can be recently. I don't really have trouble handling these guys in the moment, but I feel tired and worn down afterward, and I have a hard time relaxing after training. I can see that the current training cycle may end a week or two early. I made it to a 300+ deadlift and 200+ bench, both for reps, but I am feeling it catch up with me. May be time to switch gears for a little bit.

Aloha!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:14 am
Location: under max brooks house

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Do you feel that barbells and jiu jitsu are a good match? Before I came up with my recent program I contemplated a return to the barbell, but I started to think maybe cattleballs would be strong enough for jiu jitsu, after all I'm just a recreational player despite how much I train. As always I'm interested in your opinion. Oss!

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 pm

zak-zombie wrote:Do you feel that barbells and jiu jitsu are a good match? Before I came up with my recent program I contemplated a return to the barbell, but I started to think maybe cattleballs would be strong enough for jiu jitsu, after all I'm just a recreational player despite how much I train. As always I'm interested in your opinion. Oss!
I think I have addressed this before, but in short:

I do not lift for jiu-jitsu, I do jiu-jitsu for jiu-jitsu. You can get "strong enough" for jiu-jitsu with jiu-jitsu alone, or with body weight, kettlebells, even yoga or swimming are adequate. When I do lift barbells it's purely because I enjoy it and find it fun.

After 16 years of GJJ, sometimes I just need to have some variety so I don't lose my shit, so I try to keep a core of consistency and a ton of variety on the periphery.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9806
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 am
Location: Ft. Lauderdale

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by TomFurman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 pm

I do not lift for jiu-jitsu, I do jiu-jitsu for jiu-jitsu. You can get "strong enough" for jiu-jitsu with jiu-jitsu alone, or with body weight, kettlebells, even yoga or swimming are adequate. When I do lift barbells it's purely because I enjoy it and find it fun.

After 16 years of GJJ, sometimes I just need to have some variety so I don't lose my shit, so I try to keep a core of consistency and a ton of variety on the periphery.
Very profound.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

User avatar
zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:14 am
Location: under max brooks house

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:19 am

Fat Cat wrote:
zak-zombie wrote:Do you feel that barbells and jiu jitsu are a good match? Before I came up with my recent program I contemplated a return to the barbell, but I started to think maybe cattleballs would be strong enough for jiu jitsu, after all I'm just a recreational player despite how much I train. As always I'm interested in your opinion. Oss!
I think I have addressed this before, but in short:

I do not lift for jiu-jitsu, I do jiu-jitsu for jiu-jitsu. You can get "strong enough" for jiu-jitsu with jiu-jitsu alone, or with body weight, kettlebells, even yoga or swimming are adequate. When I do lift barbells it's purely because I enjoy it and find it fun.

After 16 years of GJJ, sometimes I just need to have some variety so I don't lose my shit, so I try to keep a core of consistency and a ton of variety on the periphery.

Very interesting thanks Fat Cat, sorry if you have talked about it before, I'll do a search next time.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:33 am

Hey Zak, I reread what I wrote and it sounded kinda snippy but I didn't mean that at all. If anything, I am reacting to a general perception, and not your question at all. The general perception is this: lift weights, or run, or do yoga, or kettlebells, etc. "for jiu-jitsu".

Why? The real reason is this: a trainee starts because he wants to learn jiu-jitsu. He goes and for months he gets smashed. He gets smashed not because he is weak, but because he lacks technique.

One day someone mentions to him, or he gets the idea on his own, to "get stronger" and he does some calisthenics or lifting and suddenly, he's not getting pushed around the mat anymore. Am I right? But he didn't do it by improving his jiu-jitsu, he did it by getting a little stronger than the other whitebelts. That won't help you when you go up against serious dudes, whether they are advanced jiu-jitsu men or a true killer of any stripe.

With real jiu-jitsu, you don't need to be very strong, just average is enough. The techniques themselves are powerful, the positions themselves are strong. Consider the armlock, where you use the power of your hips, legs, back, buttocks, arms, and hands all against just a tiny little elbow joint with a few flexor and extensor muscles stabilizing it. You place yourself, through technique, where the entire power of your body acts on a single joint or artery. That's real power and it has nothing to do with strength or conditioning.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:14 am
Location: under max brooks house

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:39 am

Thanks again Fat Cat I appreciate your input, I suppose I phrased my question wrongly I'm more approaching it from an injury prevention point of view? Training even carefully produces dings etc, I'm looking to minimise this. From a technical stand point I've seen many examples of what you are saying, my answer in the beginning was to get more flexible as I possess above average flexibility naturally. Hopefully I'm past this now. Technique prevails has been my motto for the last 6 months.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9806
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 am
Location: Ft. Lauderdale

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by TomFurman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Hey Zak, I reread what I wrote and it sounded kinda snippy but I didn't mean that at all. If anything, I am reacting to a general perception, and not your question at all. The general perception is this: lift weights, or run, or do yoga, or kettlebells, etc. "for jiu-jitsu".

Why? The real reason is this: a trainee starts because he wants to learn jiu-jitsu. He goes and for months he gets smashed. He gets smashed not because he is weak, but because he lacks technique.

One day someone mentions to him, or he gets the idea on his own, to "get stronger" and he does some calisthenics or lifting and suddenly, he's not getting pushed around the mat anymore. Am I right? But he didn't do it by improving his jiu-jitsu, he did it by getting a little stronger than the other whitebelts. That won't help you when you go up against serious dudes, whether they are advanced jiu-jitsu men or a true killer of any stripe.

With real jiu-jitsu, you don't need to be very strong, just average is enough. The techniques themselves are powerful, the positions themselves are strong. Consider the armlock, where you use the power of your hips, legs, back, buttocks, arms, and hands all against just a tiny little elbow joint with a few flexor and extensor muscles stabilizing it. You place yourself, through technique, where the entire power of your body acts on a single joint or artery. That's real power and it has nothing to do with strength or conditioning.
This is GOLD. So much of this has been explained to my thick head, but it's easier to forget when young, then becomes a discovery as you age. Guru's Harold, Tristan, Paul DeThouars, etc. Even Jin Young of Wing Chun talks of young man arts and old man arts. He's sticking to his old man arts of BJJ and WC, even though he was a Middle East, Marine Vet and wrestler.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:36 pm

2013.06.06PM; jiu-jitsu...taught no-gi jiu-jitsu footlock attacks. Warm-up was kriya-yoga; my little contingent of luchadors from Jalisco, Mexico got a kick out of that.

Class was same side, cross side, set ups from passing, from open guard, and from side control. Also taught recounters for common footlock defenses, and some transitions to toeholds. Did some sparring and called it a day.

Aloha!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:15 am

2013.06.07PM; jiu-jitsu…taught self defense class and some sparring with a senior brown belt.

Aloha!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:18 am

2013.06.08AM & PM; did this workout for an hour in the morning, then an hour of kriya-yoga in the evening.

1. Bench Press 5 x 3, 3 x 5 (135-155-175-190-205, 155-165-180)
2. Deadlift 2 x 8, 1 x 5, 1 x 3 (135-205-255-300)
3. Curls 3 x 10 @ 80

Aloha!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:21 am

2013.06.09PM; wellness…did an hour of kriya-yoga and pranayama, samaveta and nadi shodhana, then went for a walk around Diamond Head and then crossed the park down to Waikiki for a swim in the ocean.

Aloha!
Last edited by Fat Cat on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:44 pm

2013.06.10PM; swimming and hot tub contrast bathing with supplemental bourbon. Aloha!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:01 pm

2013.06.11AM; did an hour of kriya-yoga and pranayama, then a six mile hike later in the day. Today is a state holiday so no jiu-jitsu. Aloha!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:00 pm

2013.06.12PM; jiu-jitsu...rolled with an undefeated MMA fighter, a solid Mexican guy from Jalisco with a grip of steel for my warm up. He would probably tool me in a MMA match, but of course in grappling I am far beyond his abilities. At first I played from the bottom to check his balance, but once I saw that he was easy to sweep from deep half I just buried him. He had the typical no-gi style of trying to explode out of control positions, relying on power and slipperiness, but of course the gi neutralizes most of that. Eventually he tapped just to the pressure I put on him.

Then class, a half an hour of passing drills, then a half an hour of positional open guard passing at 50 percent intensity; the time was divided equally between spider guard and DLR. Bottom guy could only hold sleeves or block with his hands, no other grips.

Finished with a few more rounds of sparring; in the last second of the last round I absolutely smashed the inside of my left thigh, right below the sack. At first I thought I might have torn something, but I think it is more like a charley horse. It still is very painful today, so I may have to take the day off.

Aloha!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Soupbone
Top
Posts: 2207
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:45 am
Location: In the winter of my discontent..

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Soupbone » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:11 pm

A belated, but still sincere Happy Father's Day, Mak!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37676
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Why thank you, and right back at you big daddy!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Post Reply