::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:15 am

DARTH wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:
baffled wrote:Good news on your son.

Also impressive to see how you work with other, lesser ranked and skilled people in your classes. I used to hate working with better people who just looked at it as an opportunity to beat someone up, either on the mats or in the ring.

Working with better people who could expose shortcomings, still get their work in, and make it valuable for both of us was awesome.

Very impressive on your part to be a resource, even if these guys get tied up and worked over a little. A fine line between ass kickings and valuable learning experiences.
Thanks for the good wishes. I've learned through experience that jiu-jitsu is a social art, as well as a martial art, and that you need other people. That being true, you have to make yourself into a resource for other people, and when you do, over time they can become a resource to you. If all I do is beat on people and humiliate them or hurt them, and they run off it is counter productive for both of us. Just like in boxing, you've got to "bring them along".
100%
I have to say, tonight I absolute abused everyone in honor of my own hypocrisy.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:13 pm

2013.04.15PM; jiu-jitsu…rolled with a Chamorro guy, pretty small but incredible athletic, and a senior brown belt for my warm up. Armbars for everyone, off a very old school hand in the collar, foot on the hip type open guard.

Following that, class was half an hour of guard retention drills, and half an hour of a pass to rolling triangle series. I was not very impressive with the triangle, but the pass itself was solid. I actually would like to get better at the triangle from the top, but for whatever reason I have never been a triangle machine.

Finished up with three or four more 6 minute rounds of sparring, smashing everyone, mostly with arm bars from top and chokes from the back. For the back chokes, I am splitting my attacks between mata leao and bow and arrow, depending on my opponent’s defensive style

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:47 pm

2013.04.16PM; jiu-jitsu...our normal instructor had car trouble so I taught class unexpectedly.

Class was mostly standing technique, working various responses to a guy getting a collar grip and stalling your attacks with a stiff arm. We did the classic guard pull first, which surprisingly many people still do poorly and don't understand the how’s and why’s of correct technique. If done correctly, a guard pull should be unstoppable, but many people don’t understand the big picture.

Next we did a grip break to sumi-gaeshi, my personal favorite; that was followed by a wristlock, wristlock as a grip break, and an armtrap and roll which I have seen used in both catch-as-catch-can (Billy Robinson) and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (Carlson Gracie Jr. taught it to me).

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:12 am

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:30 am

Awesome picture Fats!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:56 am

That is fantastic!

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:13 pm

If that picture is an indication, looks like you're kicking ass at life.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Children make us better. It's the best thing in life.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:20 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Image
I have to say, tonight I absolute abused everyone in honor of my own hypocrisy.
This quote with that picture reminded me of something. I had a cousin whose kid really wanted a WWF/WWE/whatever championship belt for Christmas. Kid unwraps it, puts it on, dad pins him and takes it away. Briefly, but still. Pretty funny
Last edited by Grandpa's Spells on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks guys!

2013.04.17PM; jiu-jitsu...I had to leave a little on the early side from training so I just sparred for an an hour and a quarter straight.

I warmed up with a white belt, hitting a very nice harai-goshi and a hiza-guruma, but mostly keeping my weight off him on the mat so he didn't feel squished.

After 15 minutes with him, I spent the next hour rolling with a purple belt non-stop, pushing myself to go for techniques which I don't usually use much, but he was no slouch so I had to hustle. I am getting better at pulling guard and using it as an attacking position, he repeatedly told me that the attacks were coming so fast that he felt he was always reacting, never able to find his base and begin to pass strongly which was very positive feedback.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:38 pm

2013.04.18PM; jiu-jitsu...taught a private class on standing self defense counters to grappling attacks. My student is a brown belt looking to get his diploma before the Grandmaster leaves the islands, so he is working with me to build his mastery of the GJJ self defense curriculum although he is already an accomplished grappler.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:23 am

2013.04.19PM; jiu-jitsu...taught a standing self defense class on counters to bludgeon attacks, the first four of seven in the RGJJ method.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:42 pm

2013.04.20AM; jiu-jitsu...training with the kids. My son seems to really enjoy the standing grappling, but doesn't like, or even really understand, the groundwork. That's okay for now; we had a good time and lunch afterward.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:44 pm

2013.04.21AM; Hackenschmidt system....puttering around the garden as a warm up then the following simple routine.

1. One Hand Swing 2 x 10/10 @ 24 kg
2. One Hand Clean and Press 1 x 10/10 @ 24 kg, 1 x 10/10 @ 32 kg
3. Ring Pullups 2 x 1, 2, 3
4. Ring Pushups 2 x 10
5. Farmer Walks 2 x 1:10 @ 2 x 24 kg
6. Goblet Squat 2 x 10 @ 24 kg

Time - 30:57

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:58 pm

2013.04.22PM; an hour and a half of soccer and footraces with my son. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:14 pm

2013.04.23PM; jiu-jitsu...half an hour of sparring with a brown belt and a blue belt, running one until he was tired then attacking the other. After that an hour of drills; first half was duck under to body lock and high crotch, second half was passing the half once you get them down.

Finished with four more rounds of 6 minutes from standing. For whatever reason, I did not digest my lunch well, so this was pretty uncomfortable for me but I just put nose to grindstone and pushed on.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:45 am

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:39 pm

2013.04.25PM; jiu-jitsu...an hour of sparring focusing on tachi-waza, in particular my combination of hiza-guruma and osoto-gari. As I am a left foot lead, this is a nice attack combination against a typical grappler with his right foot forward.

For example, I step outside his left leg with my right, then turn to my left and block his right knee with my left foot for the hiza-guruma. If he corrects in time, stepping forward with his left foot, I cut across wit my left leg and attack with osoto-gari. If he sees that, withdrawing his left leg, then I hip into him and attack with harai-goshi.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:44 pm

2013.04.25PM; Hackenschmidt system....I had a private lesson student cancel on me, and I just didn't have the heart to sit through a class so I headed home early to play with my boy. We did the following workout in the back yard, then played on the rings, had a broad jump contest, played tag, hide and seek, etc.

1. One Hand Swing 2 x 7/7 @ 24 kg
2. One Hand Clean and Press 2 x 7/7 @ 24 kg
3. Ring Pullups 1 x 1, 2, 3
4. Ring Pushups 2 x 7
5. Farmer Walks 1 x 1:10 @ 2 x 24 kg
6. Goblet Squat 2 x 7 @ 24 kg

Time - 23:22

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm

2013.04.26PM; jiu-jitsu...taught the Friday self defense course, the second half of the headlock counters once the guy has twisted you down from the standing position. After that I sparred just a little bit with a brown belt and a blue belt who is just getting back into things.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:05 pm

2013.04.27PM; felt like doing something different, so I went down to Queen Kapiolani park, a big beautiful park right on the edge of Waikiki. First, I ran around it (2.5 miles), then I stopped at one of the exercise stations and did pullup ladders. Finally, I finished up by walking across the boulevard to Kaimana beach and going for a 20 minute swim.

All told, it was just a little over an hour, but I got in: walking, running, climbing, and swimming.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:06 pm

2013.04.28PM; 6 mile hike. Aloha!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Fat Cat wrote:2013.04.27PM; felt like doing something different, so I went down to Queen Kapiolani park, a big beautiful park right on the edge of Waikiki. First, I ran around it (2.5 miles), then I stopped at one of the exercise stations and did pullup ladders. Finally, I finished up by walking across the boulevard to Kaimana beach and going for a 20 minute swim.

All told, it was just a little over an hour, but I got in: walking, running, climbing, and swimming.

Aloha!

Sounds nice.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:17 pm

It was, and I can honestly say that I thought of you Mickey. The amount of hot ass running around in bikinis was just...beautiful.