::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Well, I do have a nice ass. Seriously though, I hope to make it out there someday and experience it for myself.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:53 pm

2013.04.30PM; jiu-jitsu...warm up was 20 minutes of sparring with a very athletic guy, but small. He has a tendency to bounce around a lot, so I let him set the pace and I just focused on creating a connection, absorbing his power, so to speak. I am playing a lot of closed guard now.

Class was takedowns off the duck under: high crotch and outside trip, and then hiza-guruma, drilling them over and over for half an hour. Second half an hour was passing butterfly, which I consider one of the easier guards to pass.

Finished with more sparring, playing a very methodical style.

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 01, 2013 4:44 am

2013.04.30PM; switching gears a bit for the month of May: outdoor training and beach muscles, with Jiu Jitsu of course.

1. Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 135, 145, 155, 160, 160 lbs.
2. Ring Pullups 2 x 1, 2, 3

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Relson is giving a seminar in early June in Chi-Town. I really want to go, but I'm going to a Rickson one a couple weeks before and don't think I can swing both. I'm guessing this might be Relson's final tour?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 01, 2013 5:59 pm

Our association doesn't have much of a presence in Chicago, that is more Carlson Gracie territory, so it might be the last one for a while. You can't go wrong with either.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu May 02, 2013 7:31 pm

2013.05.01PM; jiu-jitsu...some light sparring and a class on jumping to guard as a ploy to immediately sweep to mount. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 03, 2013 6:08 pm

2013.05.02PM; jiu-jitsu...rolled with some of the kids finishing up their competition class as my warm up, baffling them with open guard and letting them try to pass. After that rolled with a brown belt for an hour, working on some new techniques from closed guard and mount, but in a live sparring context.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Today is our Good Friday, in anticipation of Orthodox Easter Sunday. Christ enters the tomb to conquer death and free the souls trapped in Hell.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon May 06, 2013 6:20 pm

2013.05.03PM; jiu-jitsu...taught the Friday self defense class, focusing on the science of the clinch to takedown that is one of the hallmarks of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. One thing I take pleasure in is showing this lesson, as I consider to embody the essence of standing Jiu-Jitsu. Plus, my o-goshi has been perfected. Having ended two fights with a good o-goshi, I can vouch for its effectiveness, but as simple as it looks most people do not do it well. One thing I always appreciated about the Gracies was their immaculate hip technique, and now that I have finally perfected my own, I enjoy sharing it with others.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon May 06, 2013 6:23 pm

2013.05.04AM; took my son to jiu-jitsu in the morning, then out for lunch. I got to be the dummy for the little grommets to practice their double legs, so I had some use.

Later in the day I did the following workout, then went for a 6 mile hike in the rain.

1. Bench Press 5 x 3, 3 x 5 (135-145-155-165-175-185, 135-145-155)
2. Deadlift 2 x 8, 1 x 5, 1 x 3 (135-155-185-205)

Aloha!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Mon May 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Fat Cat wrote:2013.05.03PM; jiu-jitsu...taught the Friday self defense class, focusing on the science of the clinch to takedown that is one of the hallmarks of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. One thing I take pleasure in is showing this lesson, as I consider to embody the essence of standing Jiu-Jitsu. Plus, my o-goshi has been perfected. Having ended two fights with a good o-goshi, I can vouch for its effectiveness, but as simple as it looks most people do not do it well. One thing I always appreciated about the Gracies was their immaculate hip technique, and now that I have finally perfected my own, I enjoy sharing it with others.

Aloha!
Why do most people (me included) fail at the O-goshi?
What are the benchmarks or guidelines for a successul and correctly deployed O-goshi?

Thanks, professor!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon May 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Hey Soup, congratulations again.

I had a long-term jealousy watching some people just perfectly hip toss people, over and over again, so I finally made a complete analysis of the throw. I feel that the main place people get it wrong, and thus have poor consistency, is in the entry, first with the feet and then with the hips. I will try to find video so that I can speak to something, then we can talk more...

Okay, so the grandmaster shows his o-goshi at 1:27, and it doesn't do a great job of illustrating what I wanted to say but if you watch closely you can see how he subtly turns his left foot out (counterclockwise) first, before stepping across with his right foot and inserting his hips. The perfect placement of that first foot, despite being such a small movement, is the way to an efficient and consistently perfect throw because everything falls into line off that first little step.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Mon May 06, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks, mak! Both for the accolades and for the guidelines. The more I observe Gracie Jiujitsu, the more I am impacted that small details make up the lionshare of the work, much like the frame to release a headlock, it is very subtle, but once you get it down, it is automatic. I see what you mean about the entry of the foot and how a slight turn can make all of the difference. I share a fascination with the Gracie style takedowns and am also obsessed in working it until mastery.

Obrigado.
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 pm

It's odd that you mention this. Years ago in martial arts magazines I'd notice the bit of difference with the Gracie throws and other sources.
Richard Bustillo gave a workshop and and showed a hip throw, where you put your heels together.
After training with Rigan and Jean Jacques,.. he changed it.
His original method was from Judo in Hawaii in the '50's.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 07, 2013 1:20 am

Well, the hip toss has a special place in most modern styles of jujutsu, and definitely in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, and it looks like such a simple technique but virtually no one does it really beautifully the way you will see the older Gracies do it. And in part, it may seem obsolete because it's a throw which you will use against a dedicated striker with a narrow stance, not a wide-stance grappler or mixed martial artist. Even among more advanced practitioners, I see it done either inconsistently or consistently poorly.

But I have tasked myself with understanding the highest levels of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, even if I am very mediocre as an athlete, and so I take time to analyze these techniques in depth and then to test them in the self defense classes I teach. I want the 100% perfect hip throw, 100% perfect, 100% of the time.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue May 07, 2013 1:33 am

Fat Cat wrote:Well, I want the 100% perfect hip throw, 100% perfect, 100% of the time.
Me too!

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Tue May 07, 2013 1:39 am

I want the 100% perfect hip throw, 100% perfect, 100% of the time.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 07, 2013 2:36 am

Haha, that's pretty good. I don't mean to overemphasize simple things, but I see people tipping over or half-assing it and I just don't like that. The selling point of GJJ is that the techniques are simple and effective, and I need to be able to embody that, not just pay lip service to it.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Tue May 07, 2013 2:53 am

Fat Cat wrote: The selling point of GJJ is that the techniques are simple and effective, and I need to be able to embody that, not just pay lip service to it.
I hear ya.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 07, 2013 6:07 pm

2013.05.06PM; jiu-jitsu...an hour of rolling, working on total connection with the opponent, almost in the sense of the Taiji Classics "adhering" where I stay so close to them that you stifle their movement, locking their hips and their breathing, until they succumb. Most common attack was to take the back from mount or closed guard and choke. My technique is becoming simpler and simpler.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu May 09, 2013 6:57 pm

2013.05.08PM; jiu-jitsu…rolled with a big blue belt coming back after a hiatus; he’s like thunder for about three minutes and then loses steam. I am working on throws off the clinch, trying to use sparring to practice the self defense takedowns off the bodylock with mixed results. I did hit one nice knee tap, the rest were a little messier as he would pull guard or do something radical when he felt me start to control his torso. After him, a white belt but for him I pulled guard and worked from there, taking the back or sweeping.

Class was more takedowns, the high crotch and outside trip off a duck under. I wanted to stay for more sparring but I had to go pick up my son from his grandparent’s so I called it.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 10, 2013 8:33 pm

2013.05.09PM; jiu-jitsu...no-gi gribble-grabble for an hour. Smooshed all comers with superior connectivity. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat May 11, 2013 7:34 am

Superior programming, superior hardware. I saw this photo and I had to slap it in here.

2013.05.08PM; jiu-jitsu…taught the Friday self defense course...a fairly in depth aspect of GJJ, focused on clinching and counters off double handed throttles and grabs.

Aloha!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat May 11, 2013 11:02 am

Just beautiful.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat May 11, 2013 9:41 pm

We are talking about your sig, right?

2013.05.11AM; my son is going to some dinosaur exhibit with grandma and great auntie so I am left to play. Will go for hike or swim later.

1. Bench Press 5 x 3, 3 x 5 (135-145-160-170-185, 135-150-165)
2. Deadlift 2 x 8, 1 x 5, 1 x 3 (135-16-205-225)
3. Ring Pullups 2 x 1, 2, 3
4. Curls 2 x 10 @ 70

Aloha!