::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: ::::::::::::SUPERIOR::::::::::::FIREPOWER::::::::::::

Post by Fat Cat » Mon May 13, 2013 8:35 pm

2013.05.12PM; took my son to Kapiolani Park to throw a Frisbee around for a while, and then when we got hot, strolled down to Kaimana Beach and went bodysurfing.

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 14, 2013 6:28 pm

2013.05.13PM; jiu-jitsu...some hard sparring from the stand up with a big Japanese judoka from Hokkaido and another large local blue. Class was an hour of guard passing and sneaky attacks directly off the transition, then more hard sparring from the feet.

I felt like I was better than the judoka, but that he was MUCH better at grip fighting than I was. He never really tried to pass my guard, just to use the gi to prevent me from attacking the way I would have liked. Once he even dived forward and went for a sleeve choke in my guard, so I defended and swept him. The next time I was so in disbelief when he did the same thing, that I actually got caught. Oh well, I smashed him after that.

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 15, 2013 6:43 am

2013.05.14PM; did not sleep well, so I just decided to lift at home.

1. Bench Press 5 x 3, 3 x 5 (135-145-160-175-190, 140-155-170)
2. Deadlift 2 x 8, 1 x 5, 1 x 3 (135-185-225-250)

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu May 16, 2013 8:58 pm

2013.05.15PM; jiu-jitsu...had to pick up my son from the grandparents on the early side, so I just did an hour of rolling, mostly playing from closed guard but always starting from bottom side mount.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 17, 2013 6:10 pm

2013.05.16PM; jiu-jitsu...an hour of no-gi jiu-jitsu with Drake the Snake. He's not a big guy, but he's got the heart of a King Cobra. His last words before we started was, "if you take it easy on me I will never train with you again." I did not take it easy.

Aloha!

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Fri May 17, 2013 6:27 pm

Fat Cat wrote:2013.05.16PM; jiu-jitsu...an hour of no-gi jiu-jitsu with Drake the Snake. He's not a big guy, but he's got the heart of a King Cobra. His last words before we started was, "if you take it easy on me I will never train with you again." I did not take it easy. Aloha!
Drake is the Kenpo/Streetfighter,... cool.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 17, 2013 7:45 pm

He's also a 4th degree brown belt under Relson. Here he is fighting in Destiny MMA (on the right):

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun May 19, 2013 10:22 pm

2013.05.17PM; jiu-jitsu...taught the self defense class, countering attacks from behind. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun May 19, 2013 10:27 pm

2013.05.18PM; lifting...spent the rest of the day on the North Shore at Malaekahana, barbecuing with family and friends. Whiskey was drunk, fish were speared.

1. Bench Press 5 x 3, 3 x 5 (135-150-165-180-195, 145-160-175)
2. Deadlift 2 x 8, 1 x 5, 1 x 3 (135-195-235-275)

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 21, 2013 6:21 pm

2013.05.20PM; jiu-jitsu...an hour of drilling duck unders to a high crotch or an outside trip for the first half, for the second half leg dragging the De la Riva hooks. Finished, as I had started, with some light sparring with a heavy blue belt.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu May 23, 2013 6:08 pm

2013.05.22PM; jiu-jitsu...rolled with a Chamorro white belt, very athletic and gifted in the scramble, but technically weak for half an hour.

When he was done, I switched over to a big, senior brown belt and rolled with him for another 45 minutes. I worked mostly taking the back from closed guard and submitting from backmount with RNC or bow and arrow chokes.

Aloha!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu May 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Hey Fats!

We had a hip toss discussion here not long ago and I have been researching and practicing on my own. While the finish is not spectacular, I did find this video to be helpful on some details. You may have seen it before:

He starts the demo at 00:36, while it is really short, I did like the angle, the details and the movement.

Hespect and kind hegards!

Soup
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu May 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks Soup, good video and no I had not seen it before. If you look at about 0:52 you will see the exact left foot placement which I was mentioning to you in our last outing. When you enter like that, instead of slipping your right leg through first, you will have a much more predictable and crisp throw. I particularly like this throw when I have a cage or something to push someone up against. I clinch with them, walk them up against the cage, and then let up on the pressure just a little bit. As they try to move off the cage...POP and they go over.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 24, 2013 6:02 pm

2013.05.23PM; jiu-jitsu…no-gi training today. I started off training with one of our brown belts, but he has been feeling his age (early 40s) recently and it seemed like everything I did was hurting him so we decided that today was not our day. It happens. I hadn’t intended to do anything high impact with him, as I knew he was feeling busted up, but he did things like try and jump guard when I got a body lock on him and I shucked him off, letting him slop to the mat like a sack of rice. Too his credit, he is smaller than me, and he just wasn’t in the mood to have a bunch of pressure on him.

Next up was a newer trainee; he’s got big dreams of MMA and a young body, so I was free to wrestle with a little more intensity while all the while looking out for his (and my) safety of course. At one point I clinched him at a lateral angle, and I saw the perfect chance for a hip toss, just the way that Soup and I have been discussing. I actually was all set to trip him instead, and a little voice said, “Soupbone would want it this way.” So I stepped in and hip tossed him high and over onto his back. We rolled for about 45 more minutes like that, me mostly working on bodylock takedowns and a new armbar setup (for me) to the spider’s web style finish.

Aloha!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri May 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Fat Cat wrote:2013.05.23PM; and a little voice said, “Soupbone would want it this way.”

Aloha!
HaHA! That's hilarious!

Seriously though after watching the video several more times and practicing the setup, the left foot is crucial, another detail that has been important for me has been clamping down on his wrist with my armpit, those things seem to make the guy fall over effortlessly.

Oss.
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Yes, controlling the far arm is critical in that it breaks his balance forward.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri May 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Fat Cat wrote:bodylock takedowns
Fatty wisdoms on set ups/entries?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 24, 2013 9:16 pm

It's different in a striking situation versus a grappling situation, but generally I will just work my way in patiently. First you make contact, then maybe an underhook, then I will walk that underhook in deeper, reaching across his back to his far hip. Then, if the situation presents itself, I will get the second hand in and really tie him up with a bodylock. Sorry...much easier to show than tell, but basically the idea is once you make contact, you only let the connection increase, never let him decrease the level of connection between your core and his.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri May 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Fat Cat wrote:It's different in a striking situation versus a grappling situation, but generally I will just work my way in patiently. First you make contact, then maybe an underhook, then I will walk that underhook in deeper, reaching across his back to his far hip.
basically the idea is once you make contact, you only let the connection increase, never let him decrease the level of connection between your core and his.
Thanks, FC. Much appreciated.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun May 26, 2013 7:10 am

2013.05.25AM & PM; took my son to jiujitsu in the morning. Just as we were leaving, some guy rolled up that needed a training partner so I ended up rolling with him for 45 minutes or so. Came home, ate a hamburger and did this.

1. Bench Press 5 x 3, 3 x 5 (135-155-170-185-200, 150-165-180)
2. Deadlift 2 x 8, 1 x 5, 1 x 3 (135-205-240-300)
3. Curls 3 x 10 @ 70

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 28, 2013 5:31 pm

2013.05.26AM; 6 mile hike and some kriya-yoga and pranayama. Aloha!
Last edited by Fat Cat on Tue May 28, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 28, 2013 5:32 pm

2013.05.27PM; did some pullup ladders and kriya-yoga. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 29, 2013 6:37 pm

2013.05.28PM; jiu-jitsu…rolled with a big, fat blue belt trying to get his chops back as my warm up, just playing open guard and chilling out while he huffed and puffed. After about 10 minutes of that class started up; it was slanted towards basic techniques because we had a lot of blue and white belts. First half an hour was drilling armbars, triangles, and omoplatas from closed guard, in varying combinations of attacks. The second half of the hour was drilling guard replacement and sweeps from old-school half guard with the outside leg hook.

After class, more sparring naturally. I paired with one absolute neophyte at first, so I just worked with him, helping him understand the idea of improving positions. He was still at that phase where he didn’t really even know what he was supposed to do, so I helped him start to grasp the positional hierarchy, removing the confusion by incrementalizing the fight. Next up was a huge Mexican, easily 300 lbs. of former MMA fighter. He looked like Shrek with more tattoos, but after years of Jiu-Jitsu I have learned to tune out unfavorable impressions, and I could see that his base was poor so I had no trouble submitting him five or six times in as many minutes.

Unfortunately, it was a hot night and I had a very hard time falling asleep so I ended up getting back up and doing 45 minutes of suryanamskar and kriya-yoga.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:43 pm

2013.05.31PM; jiu-jitsu…taught self defense class on standing headlock and guillotine counters, this was for advanced brown belts I could cover material more rapidly than I would otherwise.

Aloha!