The Rogozhnikov Experiment

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

The Rogozhnikov Experiment

Post by JasonC » Mon May 13, 2013 12:40 am

Now that I’ve figured out how Konstantin Rogozhnikov’s “WPC Russia” system is really supposed to work, I’m starting a fresh log.

In mid-March my meet lifts were 200kg, 135kg, 205kg at 79kg bodyweight. It was my maiden voyage in gear. My competition cycle was rough because I followed the one given in PTTP Pro—the one with a couple of extra heavy days, which was no party—which followed the one printed in the Russian magazine Power World, which Rogozhnikov has since said misrepresented his system.

After the meet I followed his prescription of taking a month of nothing but light and medium days and then I began easing back into a regular cycle. (Because I’m clean, I’m going to add an extra medium day to Rogozhnikov’s standard template, so that it will go like this: L-H1- L-H2-L-M-M-.) I won’t log every single workout here, maybe just a few updates during each cycle. Light days have been for sets of 15 at 8 RPE in squat and bench, and all GPP (which is what R. calls assistance work) is stopped as soon as it starts to feel heavy, well short of failure. I leave feeling nice and warmed up and invigorated, with maybe a twinge of DOMS the next day.

H1 bench day was 3.5” board press in slingshot: 265, 6 @9; 280, 6 @10; 275, 5 @9.3. I might have been able to get the sixth rep but left it for H2 because Rogozhnikov emphasizes everywhere that although you go heavy on H1, the purpose of that day is to set you up for the big PR on H2. This week, H2 bench day saw 265, 6 @8.5; 295, 5 PR @10; 280, 6 @9.5 or 9.6. This was good work. The way Rogozhnikov sees it, my CNS got to take my competition 1RM and rep it for a PR. Now I restore myself for 24 days and come back stronger.

H1 squat/dead day used what felt like a pretty low-key lift, as R. thinks is right for the first cycle after post-competition restoration, namely a band-lightened SQ to medium box (touch and go) in just powerpants and belt. 395, 6 @8.7 to 9; 415, 5 @9.3; 395, 6 @9. Snatch-grip pulls from 1-pin (near top of shins), 295, 6/2. The snatch-grip isn’t based on a recommendation by Rogozhnikov; I just got it from one of the big dogs at Supertraining who said his dead responds well to reps but he uses the snatch-grip when he can so his upper back can get extra work. The extra upper back work IS something R. approves of. He usually gets it from chains, and I will too once I’ve got the money for heavier chains. In the meantime, the snatch grip doesn’t make for too acute an angle for the back, which is something that Rogozhnikov is definitely against. He only wants you pulling from the floor with any real gumption once a cycle if that, and preferably in sumo, which his people do with the most upright back possible. As I’ve written elsewhere, he calls the conventional dead “traumatic,” and he prefers that his lifters only do it from a little below the knee.

H2 squat/dead day today was 395, 6 @8.5?; 425, 6 PR @9; 435, 6 PR @8.5 or 9. After the second set I figured I’d be too tired to get all six reps at the higher weight. If I had known how easy the last set was going to be, I’d have gone up to 440 (my single-ply 1RM) or 445. But this plan has never said anything anywhere about a 5/3/1 kind of AMRAP set. On the contrary, if R. had been speaking to me through a crystal ball, I figured he’d be saying, “Look, that’s your second PR of the day, which is one more than you need. So it wasn’t a nut buster, but there will be plenty of those soon. Take the gift.” Pin pulls were 295, 8 PR? @8; 315, 8 PR? @8.5 or 9. I didn’t increase the weight and reps from H1 day pulls because I had to or wanted to. (See what I said above and elsewhere about R. on pulls. You’re basically supposed to consciously hold back.) I think I probably just wasn’t wearing a belt on H1 and today I was.

I don’t normally take BCAAs and won’t until I figure out whether they really do give me insomnia (hope not), but on these H2 days I made an exception, and today I’m going to make a point of eating a lot.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Re: The Rogozhnikov Experiment

Post by JasonC » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:51 am

On to the second cycle. Because of my travel schedule, this will have to be a H-L-M-L cycle.

Today was heavy bench day. I did board presses (3.5") in a loose, open-backed single-ply Inzer denim shirt. It's so loose that at that board height it may not give me anything at all. Today's numbers were:

275, [email protected]; 240, [email protected]; 245, [email protected]

I have one word to say about that: LATS!!! I say again, lats!!

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Re: The Rogozhnikov Experiment

Post by JasonC » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Today was heavy squat/pull day. I've been weaning myself off caffeine and this is a low-energy day.

Low box SQ in powerpants with all the chain I have (which is only 30# or 35# total): 275, [email protected]+; 325, [email protected]; 315, [email protected]

Conv. DL from below knee, no belt 315, [email protected], [email protected]

'Nuff said.