The Rule of Two! Father and Son's Sithy Summer Training!

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

The Rule of Two! Father and Son's Sithy Summer Training!

Post by DARTH » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Well I have another son (7) and a daughter so there will be more than 2 but niehter is ready for dedicated training.

My personal fitness goal is to do a modified version of the1946 Army PT Test at the end of Summer, my son will also take a PT Test as well but scaled to him.

http://www.ihpra.org/1946%20%28World%20 ... 20Test.htm

For me the test will be Lunges (instead of jump squats, I like my knees), Pull ups, Push ups, Alternating Toe Touch V Sit ups (instead of legs held version) and a 300 yard shuttle run. For the boy it will be Lunge, Push ups, Pull ups, V sit ups and a 100 Yard shuttle run.

My oldest (10, 11 in early Sept.) has been doing JJ 2 x's a week on average for the last 10 months but aisde form that he got most his exercise playing soccer at recess in school and Fencing class once a week. He's in better shape than at the beginning of the school year.

Now that he's not in school for 2+ months he's not playing soccer and not doing Fencing, we are starting a summer program of MA, PT and physical activity as left to his own devices, he'd be sitting on his ass in his underwear, playing video games and loves to stuff his face with crap.

So he and the other boy's JJ class has gone from the school years 1.5 hours to 2 -2.5 hours and the intensity has gone up a little and when they get to join us once a week, expectations are a little higher for them.

We have added mat drills like shrimpping, scoots and crawls as we are now doing a lot more groundwork and we have added Uchikomi for throws and Randori (sparring) for standing and ground grappling. And they do a wamr up of Yoga,and preparatory exercises and yoga for end of session flexibility and cool down. ( I want to make it stick in his head to stretch out after training. MA or PT)

Other than that and kicking him outside or ordering to swim in the pool, I've let him be for the first part of summer vacation, with him understanding that he'll ramp up after the 4th of July weekend and has goals to be tested on before the first day of middle school.

He cant do push ups for shit, looks like he's fucking the grass and he can't do a pull up, can hang for a 15 count on a good day (He is a big kid though about 5'4" and maybe around 120#s, kind of weird proportioned like a puppy with big feet and a big head)

In additon to 2 JJ sessions, he will do 1 long or 2 short ( 1.5 hours total a week) outdoor MA sessions focusing on weapons and striking skills but also doing Ukemi and grappling on the Trampoline. He loves the sticks, just call it a sword and he'll train forever.

So on the dedicated PT end of things we will be doing PT 2 to 3x's a week (depending on everything else's volume), very similar to what I am doing and will try to put our sessions together as much as possible to lead from example and just to bond more.

Alpha Drills (What he will be tested on. To be worked every PT session and all but the pull ups during the kids JJ class )
Lunges
Push ups (Knee, plank holds, assisted until he gets the real deal, goal being 25 by end of summer)
Pull ups (assisted, hangs, goal being 3 real PUs by end of Summer)
Alternating Toe Touch V sit ups

Supplementary Drills (as assistance and supplementation to Alpha and giving him some variety and laying groundwork for subsequent training. 2 to 4 of these drills every PT session, rotated.))
KB Dead Lifts ( Regular, Sumo, Extended and 1 leg)
KB Russian Mil Press
90 and 60 Degree Squat Rows w/ Lifeline Jungle Gym
Playing with the Ab wheel
KB (light chick bells) Swings
KB Bent rows.

Auxiliary work
Stance training, Striking techniques and Yoga.

Conditioning work
MA Striking drills
Infantry Sprints (Start on belly, on the command of go, jump up and sprint for 3 seconds," I'm up! He sees me! I'm down!" hit the ground,roll to one side or the other and repeat
Fartleks

So a PT workout might be as follows
Warm up with Joint Mobility and some Yoga Sun Sals for 10-15minutes, work the Alphas for 10 to 20 minutes, work the Supplementals for 10 to 15minutes. Do some conditioning for 10 -20minutes and Yoga for 10 to 15 minutes.

All that together and his upcoming swim lessons and my policy "Go outside and don;t come in until you are told." and whatever he gets into with his buddies should have him in great condition.

My hopes is as he sees how much better he is getting at JJ and MA, how much better he feels and how much easier it is to play pick up soccer and other things after this will have a positive effect on him and he will know the value of being fit and training like a little warrior and not a preteen Body Builder.

For me it's to get back to basics, deal with hernia BS to test the waters and show my son first hand that a man should be fit and ready to protect and if he has that going on everything else is a bit easier.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Rule of Two! Father and Son's Sithy Summer Training!

Post by DARTH » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Today 1am -12:30pm

1.5hour MA session. 2 adults, my son and myself

Stick work and striking drills.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Felt like shit Monday, so I just made him go play outside for 2 hours in the AM and then he messed around in the pool for a couple hours in the afternoon.

Tuesday was JJ day.

Weds AM

Little Darth: Ran him through some basic "Rifle" PT and basic lunges, 3 sets of Push up Plank holds for time, enforcing proper alignment.

We then did 90 degree Squat Rows with the Jungle Gym straps. 10 reps x 3 sets each of us.

I then had him walk at a fast clip around the park for 20 minutes while I taught a SD client. I directed his mom to not let him eat for an hour after the workout to keep his metabolism jacked and then he had some eggs and a bowl of cereal.

He started bitching about me not letting him eat another bowl of Cookie crisp and what not, so I explained to him that it was carb and sugar shit.

In explanation of why he's working out and being made to eat less junk, ect. I explained how the Dr. said he'd be a big guy and hw an out of shape big guy suffers more aches, pains and alments and is vulnerable when shit hits the fan, I then explainde that a big guy who is in shape is hard to handle and gets more chicks. For an example I showed some pics of a big fat fuck, the fat ass soldier in the infamous "Army Strong Meme" and then in contrast I showed him some pics of Draeger and his crew and late Karateka Joe Lewis, and how that is what he can look like as a man if he started the lifestyle of fitness along with his MA training now.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

He liked that.

He swam in the afternoon.

Aside from teaching him by doing, working sticks and pads with my client, I did 20 minutes of Yoga when I got in the house.

Today
Little Darth: Had him practice his Ukemi (rolls and falling) on the trampoline for 25 minutes and then he and his brother swam around in the pool.

Me: Nothing, feel like crap.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Today

AM Train sticks and elbows on pads 1hour

Yoga 30 minutes

Little Darth once again made fun of his little brother's speech (which Littler Darth has really worked hard to improve upon) so he got to march up and down the hill for 15 minutes.

Other than that and playing, I'm saving his PT for some drills at the end of JJ class, going to work him and the other boy Draeger style with the 15/15 protocol on 90 degree squat rows and Push up planks and V Sit Toe Touch sit ups and Punches from deep horse stance after the classes menu of Ukemi, Ochikomi on Osoto Gari, Nege Waza and Ne Waza.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:39 pm

The boy and I did the following today. Only the names have been changed to protect the guilty!

Great class today for the CMSG at The Pit!

Sensei Gimli Von Ram-man led the Seinen (men) and the Yonen (Boys) ranks through some good Ukemi and a bit of hit conditioning to kick things off, enforcing good martial discipline on the Yonen and keeping a great, high energy pace for all.

Then we worked Uchikomi on Osoto Gari, to turn the 3 step version we favour in Armatura-Ryu Ju Jutsu into a twisting flow that is much harder to jam or counter and increases the chance of injury to the unfamiliar with it in a combative situation.

Some had a little trouble with it and it's understandable as they were around in the previous dojo where it was essentially taught as a flat footed break to the Uke's 5 O'clock and reap that has over time (with the aid of or friend Sensei Sparky and his gift of Sensei Cunningham's excellent tutorial on Kano's Go Kyo no Waza) into a 5 O'clockish to 3:30ish entry and Kazushi break and reap and now uses the heel step and pivot of Silat taught to us by Dr. Smash and Dirty Harry.

It can be hard to learn new tricks to a very fundamental and therefore long held technique but when they increase the efficiency and effectiveness of a technique towards our primary mission here, it is well worth it.

We made sure to practice entry on both left and right sides and also did it against a punching attack.

Then Sensei Lord Stomp took over and worked some throw combos.

He had us go for the Osoto Garil and when Uke steps his leg back and pushes, he had us enter in and attempt Sassae Tsurikomi Ashi. If that got jammed he showed how Uchimata is right there with a simple short tenkan as well as the position of Uke makes him vulnerable for other things.

He then had us do this against a striking attack and utilise elbows and knee atemi with the throws.

I spent a little time on working from being taking down and using an arm an from the guard, getting the sub (or the snap if in combat) and then flipping them over into Ju ju Gatamae and then disengaging and withdrawing in a tactical manner.

I stressed withdrawing as if you really just did this to a violent attacker and not doing the "I got it, now roll away with your back to Uke to get up." withdrawl. Yes the guys were getting tired but that is exactly when you have to pay more attention to these little details, you fight as you train and in a society where you don't necessarily kill your attacker, you need to practice tactical with drawls after injuring him or he submits, because he has proven by attacking you that he has little care for law or morality. Give him your back and he will take your neck.

After this, Sensei Von Ram-man took the Seinen ranks to the tapped mats for some Pugilism!

I took the Shonen and taught them the proper way to do 90 degree Squat Rows with the Jungle Gym straps (Think of the TRX but simpler, it came first) and Push up Planks and then ran them through a circuit using those drills. 1 bow sqaut-rows the other planks and then switch. We did that 3 runs.

Then I had them do shrimping drills up and down the mats while calling cadence 4 times and then a set ofV-Sit Toe Touch Sit ups and finished with Jumping Jacks.

In debrief, Sensei Von Ram-Manwas happy with the progress being made in Pugilism, but don't let anyone think that is permission to get cocky or slack off or Gimli will correct with a thump of the leather, in "the Ring".

A very good Saturday of shugyo!

Hope to see you all on Tuesday @ The Pit, I will cover the Dawg Bite clamp for Ippon Seo Nage, Koshi Garuma, ect and continue with the Ochikomi on the Osoto gari entry as well as share time with Lord Stomp as he builds on today's practice.

Have a great weekend all!

DARTH Sensei

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:49 am

Sounds awesome. I make my kids train with me when we have time and we do one or two PL meets a year (deadlift only). So fun sharing competitions with your kids. :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:03 am

Thank you! :happiness:

If they are willing, you make it fun and your patient when you need to be and push when they need it, you might as well pass down your knowledge to them. Mine MA, PT, ect.

That's cool to hear some kids are starting out in a good, solid fundamental way. And then they get to apply them in what can be a fun challenge and special memory in the future, that builds self esteem when you win, and character when you lose. <<<<q

We spar, you and I but I'm sure you and your's are good people. :drinkers:

If he sticks with it and wants to do it, I want to get him into Judo part of the year so he can use his base with us and learn from Judo and be able to go to Shiai and Tournments and he's all about Fencing again.

No get him playing his Bass. :rock:

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Monday - I let swimming and running around handle it as for the boy.

Me, I did some light Yoga. I'm not feeling great.

Tuesday

Had the boys warm up with some mat drills and ukemi for 30 minutes

Next I taught them and elbow pattern of Spearing Horn elbow helmet, Horizontal elbow and downward diagonal elbow. We worked it in isolation, and against each other

This was followed by using Uchilomi to smooth the 2 way break of our Osoto Gari

We took that into Sensei Sumpf's Combos and expanded on them.

Then we used the elbow work blended with throws and sweeps against punches.

We finished, with Liam very dragging and the other boy eating steel, with two hand front choke response.

We had a good class with the guys after that. I did nt do any more than teach and corect. still not great.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:25 pm

Been going between the guts and the chest, all week or a bit longer.

I'll deal with one, feel better, maybe eve long enough to do something and the get nailed by the other.

Weds He and I did some sporadic MA training

Today

I have not done shit.

He's been outside and staying nutty with his siblings.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Fri, Sat and this morning I committed myself to bed to shake the shit.

Gut issues seem over, drinking a nice strong coffee right now.

A buddy showed up about noon with a trailer of free firewood so I went from being a bed bum to humping wood in the wheelburrow to the back, in the heat.

I am not in my 20's!

It kicked my ass but I gutted through it and got it all done. I actually had to take 3 breaks in the hour it took to do it.

I just got up from a nap and the lungs feel much better.

The boy has slacked, do to me not being on him, no JJ class yesterday ect.

Resume dedicated training for both of us tomorrow AM.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:59 pm

Tuesday

Boy and I trained MA together in 2 blocks, aprx 30 and 45 minutes on the trampoline.

7-8:33PM Ju Jutsu/Combatives

Class in the park.

Stick stuff to elbow stuff to choke stuff and then the County came by spraying for skeeters.

I threw Yoga in stuff through out the day.