throwlolol

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Re: stop sucking

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:07 pm

No training today: I'm sick. Maybe the stress and lack of sleep caught up with me.

In any case, I'll see how long this lasts, and figure out what to do then.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:10 pm

I felt better on Saturday, so I went to the gym. Did some nice snappy doubles on the bench; strength there is definitely coming back. Then I loaded up 105 per side in farmer's walk, took that for a ride, and on my third trip I felt my lower back do something unpleasant.

yaaaaaay

it's fine, it's muscular and responding well to heat and NSAIDS, but fuck me this is annoying.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Jon wrote:I felt better on Saturday, so I went to the gym. Did some nice snappy doubles on the bench; strength there is definitely coming back. Then I loaded up 105 per side in farmer's walk, took that for a ride, and on my third trip I felt my lower back do something unpleasant.

yaaaaaay

it's fine, it's muscular and responding well to heat and NSAIDS, but fuck me this is annoying.
Only one sick/injured person at a time, my friend. :)

In thinking about what you and yours are going through, I'd really focus on training to keep you top-notch in order to best support your family. The healthier physically and mentally you are, the better you'll be for them. Seems like you are doing it with the no-brainer-tell-me-what-to-do approach, but reading about lower back pain popping up makes me cringe. Yikes...stay healthy!
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:27 pm

nafod wrote:
Jon wrote:I felt better on Saturday, so I went to the gym. Did some nice snappy doubles on the bench; strength there is definitely coming back. Then I loaded up 105 per side in farmer's walk, took that for a ride, and on my third trip I felt my lower back do something unpleasant.

yaaaaaay

Only one sick/injured person at a time, my friend. :)

In thinking about what you and yours are going through, I'd really focus on training to keep you top-notch in order to best support your family. The healthier physically and mentally you are, the better you'll be for them. Seems like you are doing it with the no-brainer-tell-me-what-to-do approach, but reading about lower back pain popping up makes me cringe. Yikes...stay healthy!
Thanks man, I appreciate the thoughts. One thing the last couple of months of training have taught me is that I'm really bad at moderation. I'm good at picking a goal and going for it (whether I do that in the smartest way is another question...), I'm less good at taking it easy. That worked OK when I was younger and didn't have much life stress; for now I probably need to learn how to ease up on the gas.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Wee update:

I got back from vacation last night. Low back still feels shitty. I emailed my PCP and said "hey, I think I hurt my back, here are the symptoms" and she wrote back "yep, it sure looks like you hurt your back, it'll go away in 4-6 weeks." Not exactly the response I was hoping for, but I suppose it's the one I deserve.

I kept up with stretching and mob stuff while on vacation, starting tomorrow morning I'll start to slowly reintroduce weights, assuming I can do shit pain free. My plan is to do my usual SMR/mob warmup, see how that feels, and then try a couple of exploratory sets with light weight. If all feels OK, I'll work up. If it doesn't, I'll do a lot of back extensions and shit.

My current homework is to read everything I can about HG/throwing, and watch a ton of youtube videos, so that when life settles down I can try to train with some local guys and not be totally noobish

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:37 pm

Weds. 8/4

today was an exploratory weights workout, trying to figure out what hurts my back and what doesn't.

What hurts:
back squat
hip hinge (both anterior and posterior) with any kind of weight
BB rows

What doesn't:
gob squats
split squat
GHR
most upper body stuff, including bench if I don't try to arch too hard/use much leg drive

What I'm not going to touch until my shit's better:
anything ballistic incl. cleans, swings, push press/jerk, etc.
heavy weighted carries (how I hurt myself initially)

So, the plan until I feel 100%, in terms of priority, is
1) rehab/mob work
2) maintain leg strength as much as possible
3) maintain/increase UB strength

Until I feel better, I think I'll go with two setups:
A) rehab/mob work, split squat (might as well work on symmetry while I can't squat/DL), gob squat, GHR (both for higher reps), ab work
B) rehab/mob work, pressathon, upper back

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Thursday 9/5

rumble roller (my gym got a new toy, yay)
flex/mob warmup

Prisoner Get-ups
BW x 10 per side
20 x 10
25 x 10
stolen from Tom Furman

GHR
10 x 3

Birddogs
10 x 3

some stretching

I hate this rehab shit. I know it's supposed to help me recover and keep me in the game and all that other stuff, but it's boring and stupid and I hate it.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:24 am

Saturday, 9/7

back still hurts. still fine for upper body stuff.

rumble roller
flex/mob warmup

A) Bench:
45 x 10 / pullaparts
75 x 5 / pullaparts
95 x 5 / pullaparts
105 x 3 / pullaparts
115 x 3 / pullaparts
125 1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/1/1/1
115 x 6 / pullaparts
105 x 7 / pullaparts
95 x 7 / pullaparts
75 x 10 / pullaparts

B) DB row:
75 1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2

Work sets of bench were superset with the rows; lighter sets with light band pullaparts. fuck me I'm weak. someone remind me not to take a long layoff from weights and then hurt my back when I'm trying to get back into it. that was a bad move.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:26 pm

from the NASGA board:
I feel strong for throwing would be 5-600 squat and dead, 3-350 clean, 250-300 snatch. If your there work on throwing and drills..
fuck me.

On the plus side, my back has felt a lot better over the past few days. I'm hoping I'll be able to get back into it in a week or two.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:28 pm

The nasga board is a festering shit hole. Most of those guys wouldn't know what it's like to not be HYOOGE fucking freak and actually have to work their way up from normal to strong. Most the biggest shit talkers were 200+ pounds in fucking middle school.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:24 pm

Ed Zachary wrote:The nasga board is a festering shit hole. Most of those guys wouldn't know what it's like to not be HYOOGE fucking freak and actually have to work their way up from normal to strong. Most the biggest shit talkers were 200+ pounds in fucking middle school.
Good to know. Still, I'm thinking my hyoooooge 125 bench isn't going to cut it. If I can get my strength levels back to where they were pre-babby, 'twould be a good thing.

Along those lines:

back is feeling better, to the point that I feel ready to start reintroducing back squats at higher reps

but sick wife + sick baby = no gym for me

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:30 pm

NASGA will have sparse corn amongst the slurry of poo. In general, it is where S&C goes to die.

For normals and guys who just want to scratch their way into the "sport" class, it's fugn simple.

Throw. throw
throw.
throw.throw
throw..

Oh I see you're into fitness? k. Great..you can squat and press and stuff if you want...won't matter, that much, might help. No harm in it..knock yourself out.

So. Throw. Get stronger...that's the ticket.

Jump/Snatch/ or whatever floats that dark part of your soul that is captivated by Rate of Force Development, tendo units and Bud Charniga's gaping asshole.

Then after that, Throw.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Jump/Snatch/ or whatever floats that dark part of your soul that is captivated by Rate of Force Development, tendo units and Bud Charniga's gaping asshole.
stolen

Thursday, 9/12

rumble roller
flex/mob warmup

A) Bench:
45 x 10 / pullaparts
75 x 5 / pullaparts
95 x 5 / pullaparts
105 x 5 /pullaparts
115 x 3 / pullaparts
125 x 2 / pullaparts
135 / pullaparts
115 x 5 x 5

B) DB Row:
60 x 5 x 5
same as before, bench was superset with pullaparts for the warmup sets and with db row for the work sets.

C) SLDL:
45 x 10
95 x 10
145 x 10
195 x 5
been ages since I've done these, but I figured they would either make my jacked up back feel better, or permanently cripple me. Hooray for door number 1. Gonna keep these in for a while, keep the reps at 10 and progress weight slooooooowly

D) Hanging knee raises:
10/10/10/10
again, ages since I've done these. Can't hurt might help.

At this point I'm too weak (again) to worry about 531 or mass made simple or whatever. Goal for the time being is to make my back happy and see if I can get some dem linear gaynes

If my back is still happy this weekend, I'm gonna dick around and throw some shit and see how it goes

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:42 pm

Haven't done shit in a week. Zero motivation, and my right hip and knee are giving me shit now. Plus there's a lot going on at work, and shit at home isn't super-rosy, bitch bitch bitch whine whine whine.

Oh well. I'll get my shit together eventually; I always do.

CrapSammich
Staff Sergeant

Post by CrapSammich » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:bitch bitch bitch whine whine whine.
So you generously tell others not to beat themselves up, but self-flagellation is okay for you, huh?

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:14 pm

CrapSammich wrote:
Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:bitch bitch bitch whine whine whine.
So you generously tell others not to beat themselves up, but self-flagellation is okay for you, huh?
fuck, if I was good at following my own advice, do you think I'd be this weak? ](*,)

sooth

Thursday, 9/19

rumble roller

A) Bench:
45 x 10
75 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5
115 x 3
125 x 2
125 4/4/4/3/3

B) DB Row:
75 x 5/4/4/4/3

C) SLDL:
45 x 10
135 x 10
155 x 10/10/10

D) Hanging Knee Raises:
some

didn't feel great about it, but I did it. Will try to wake up early tomorrow and throw.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Saturday, 9/21

what could charitably be called "throwing"

No implements yet, so I was chucking around a 25 lb. kettlebell. Not ideal, but I could throw it and it didn't complain when it hit the ground.

Braemar: 15
WFD: one turn x 15
WFH: 10

Tried both glide for the stone and 2-turn for the WFD and both were pretty lulzy. First glide actually went backwards. ISTM that I'd be better off learning braemar position and 1-turn well-ish and then trying the fancier shit, but if anyone has conflicting advice I'd be happy to hear it.

Shit was fun

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Sunday, 9/22

foam roller

SQ:
45 x 5 x 3
95 2/3/5/2/3/5
ololololol
right side feels really unstable and wobbly. No hip drive. I did one single with 135, which made my knee hurt. olololololol. I think a bodyweight squat would plant me on my ass

A) Press:
45 x 10
65 x 5
85 4/3/3/3/2

B) Pullup:
5/4/3/3/3

Rack pull from first pin, about mid-shin
135 x 5
185 x 5
235 x 5
285 x 3
Also tried conventional DL and TBDL; back didn't like either one. Rack pulls felt good, though. Well, good in that they didn't hurt. Not good as in strong.

So, I think I have my plan. Two workouts, A and B, either once per week or ABA BAB, whatever works out with the schedule. Throwing as often as I can.

A: Squat, don't push the weight, let the body figure out what it can handle
Press/Pullup

B: Rack Pull to get the hips working
Bench/Row

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:15 pm

sick wife, sick kid, yay

Thursday, 9/26

rumble roller
practiced some hammer winds. I am a menace to nearby bushes.

Rack Pull:
45 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 3
295 x 2
275 x 5
275 x 3

A) Bench:
45 x 10
75 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5
115 x 3
125 x 3
135 x 1 x 3
125 x 4/4/4/3/3

B) DB Row:
75 x 5/4/4/4/3

weighed myself after. one fucking sixty. stress plus lack of sleep plus not enough food, it's a beautiful thing

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Re: throwlolol

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Saturday, 9/28

throwlolol

25#
Braemar: 30
WFD: 30
WFH: 15

my WFD goes about five feet farther than my braemar. Truly, virtuosity in action. I need to gain some weight. Even with #25 the weight is throwing me around as much as I'm throwing it. I shudder to think what the #56 would do to me.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Monday, 9/30

[quote=me]So, I think I have my plan.[/quote]

I should stop making plans. It just makes me look like an asshole when I do something else. Minor epiphany over the weekend when I realized that the only time I made decent progress was when I stopped treating myself like an eleet coach and physical therapist and just did programs written by other people. You'd think it would have taken me less than 12 years, a couple of sports, and a couple of injuries, but there you go.

stole a two-day-a-week routine from one of DJ's books and away we go. My intention (not plan) is to stick with this for six weeks and then reassess.

rumble roller
hip flexor stretch

Bench:
45 x 10
75 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 3
115 x 2
125 x 2 x 5

Power Clean:
95 x 2 x 3

Squat:
95 x 3
105 x 3
115 x 3 x 3
woooo. Back into the triple digits. Maybe next week I can use some of those scary big boy plates

A) Push Press
95 x 3 x 5

B) Pullups
BW x 3 x 5

edit: also, a couple of the local xfitters showed up a few minutes after I did. They spent about half an hour benching, wide grip, high to the neck, with their feet in the air. Was there an L1 Broheim cert this weekend?

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:Saturday, 9/28

throwlolol

25#
Braemar: 30
WFD: 30
WFH: 15

my WFD goes about five feet farther than my braemar. Truly, virtuosity in action. I need to gain some weight. Even with #25 the weight is throwing me around as much as I'm throwing it. I shudder to think what the #56 would do to me.
I don't know for sure since I haven't seen you throw but I'd almost guarantee you are rushing the turn and jerking on the weight. Go slow and stay low. If you think you are low enough go lower.

Francis Brebner vids on the youtubes are the tits.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks EZ. Yeah, I've looked at Brebner's stuff; it's great (and his accent makes me moist)

I need to get together with one of the local throwing groups. Living as close as I do to Pleasanton there have got to be some locals who wouldn't mind humoring a weak noob. My wife goes back to work at the end of October; once that happens I'll have a better sense of what my childcare schedule is going to look like and can start making those kinds of plans.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:11 pm

Thursday, 10/3

rumble roller

Bench:
45 x 10
75 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 3
115 x 3
125 x 2
135 x 2 x 5

Power Clean:
95 x 3
105 x 2 x 3

Squat:
95 x 3
115 x 3
135 x 3 x 2
115 x 3
when a 135 squat feels heavy, woe fucking betide me

A) Push Press:
95 x 3
105 x 3
105 x 2 x 3

B) Pullup:
BW x 3
10 x 2 x 4

home life is less than optimal these days. again.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:06 pm

Wednesday, 10/9

drillin' and illin'

Field was wet as hell, and footing was treacherous. note to self, turning drills on wet grass = olol

wound up doing a bunch of putting drills, finished with about 10 throws from the power position and 10 wfh