Liquid Swords

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

newguy

Liquid Swords

Post by newguy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

AM
20 minutes HeavyHands Shadowboxing

PM
* Bench Press - 195 x 5, 5, 5; 145 x 7, 7, 7
* Trap Bar Deadlift - 152.5 x 5, 5, 5; 135 x 5, 5, 5

-----

Basic Plan:
Weights twice a week (one day bench and trap bar, second day press and squat)
Kettlebells twice a week (one day clean and jerk with two bells, another clean and jerk with one).
Heavy Hands as many mornings as I can for 20 to 24 minutes
"When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire. And he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of a 131 Lords. It was a bad time for the empire."

newguy

Re: Liquid Swords

Post by newguy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:38 am

Thursday, July 18, 2013

AM
22 minutes HeavyHands shadow boxing.
"When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire. And he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of a 131 Lords. It was a bad time for the empire."

newguy

Post by newguy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Friday, July 19, 2013

Kettlebell Work - circuit, double l/c with 16's 12 reps, catch breath, half snatch with 20 8/8 reps, catch breath. repeat.

made it through three times total. 20 minutes.
--
Wish I could say this was easy, but I was sweating, heart was pounding, and I was breathing heavy. Which I guess is the reason why I am doing this.

I have to keep in mind the goal of the kettlebell work. It is not to get better at lifting kettlebells. The reason I am doing it is to get in shape. Build up some endurance. Work capacity. Burn calories.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Standing Press - 112.5 * 5, 5, 5; 95 * 5, 5, 5
Squat -217.5 * 5, 5, 5; 185 * 2, 3,
---

Working out twice a week. Progress up to working weights and then do 2 to 3 sets of 5. Then either take some weight off the bar and do 2 to 3 more sets of 5, or add some weight and do 3 sets of 1, 2, or 3 reps.

The overall goal is to be able to use 315+ on the bench, 405+ on the squat, 500+ on the trap bar, and 225 on the standing press. I want these to be working weights, done for reps. I would like to reach these levels within 3 years.

I am going to add 2.5 pounds a week for my squat and trap bar deadlift. 1.25 pounds a week for the bench press and press. Will do this for as long as I can.

The first order of business is actually getting consistent. I do not think I have ever worked towards something physical over the time period of years. It would always be awhile then switch to something else.
----
Press was fine. Smooth every set.

Squat was fine for the working sets. Dropped down to 185 and was planning on doing sets of 5. 2 reps in and I said forget it. Decided to do two ladders of 2,3,5. Got my set of three and was done.

Too hot in the garage.

newguy

Post by newguy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Monday, July 22, 2013

Early AM - HeavyHands shadowbox 24 minutes

Later AM - Walk/Jog - 25 minutes

----

HH shadowboxing becomes much more heart rate intensive when you add some bodyweight squats into the mix.

Did not feel like kettlebells so I did walk/jog intervals. Crap I am out of shape. I really need to add in some jogging each week.

newguy

Post by newguy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Wed, July 24, 2013

* Bench press - 196.25 * 5, 5, 5; 155 * 5, 5, 5, 5
* Trap Bar deadlift - 155 * 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
* some DB hammer curls with 25's

and that's it.

Too hot today.

newguy

Post by newguy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:34 pm

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Jog/Walk - 32 minutes. Walked to park, "run" length, walk back, repeated what feld like 100 times but was probably 10. Walked home.

I think I am going to die. This is ridiculous.

newguy

Post by newguy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Friday, July 26, 2013

Jog Walk - Walk to park. "run" length, walk back, repeat. 37 minutes.

-----
Cut my finger last night. Didn't want to risk pulling the cut open with kettlebells so I decided to run again today.

Today was better than yesterday. As opposed to "going to die" it was more "I feel like shit." Improvement matters. Today I threw in three "run up and back/walks" which was ok.

While I was running a little old asian lady came to the park. I think she was a little old asian lady. I didn't have my glasses so it could have been a young man dressed like an old asian lady.

She would do a little old lady run up the length of the park. Slower than me, but smooth. She would walk back and do some stretches and joint mobility. She could bend down and touch her toes like it was nothing. After a few times doing that, run,walk,mobility, she started to do things like side shuffles, lunges, some backward running, etc.

I was impressed.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Standing Press - 113.75 * 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Squat - 220 * 5, 5, 5; 155 * 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

---

Standing press felt fine. Good actually. Bar moved smoothly even on the last rep.
Squat felt better than last week. The three sets of 5 at 220 all went up strong. Instead of dropping to 185, I did some quick math and realized that 70% of 220 is 155. So I dropped to that and did triples, just to get some extra volume in.
----

Slow, minimal increases each week are not easy mentally. On a week to week basis there is just not enough increase to cause excitement. It will be 2 more weeks until 225 is on the bar for the squat...5 weeks until 120 on the press....

The only way something like this can work is to stay consistently focused for a long period of time.

I just read on ESPN about some guy who ran every day for like, 50 years.

There is no real reason I should not be able to lift weights twice a week for years on end.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Nice.
theAbstract wrote:Friday, July 26, 2013While I was running a little old asian lady came to the park. I think she was a little old asian lady. I didn't have my glasses so it could have been a young man dressed like an old asian lady.

She would do a little old lady run up the length of the park. Slower than me, but smooth. She would walk back and do some stretches and joint mobility. She could bend down and touch her toes like it was nothing. After a few times doing that, run,walk,mobility, she started to do things like side shuffles, lunges, some backward running, etc.

I was impressed.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Run/walking - jog/walk to bike trail access. Progressive intervals. jog walk back. 45 minutes total.

----

There is a bike trail close to my house with a long access drive. The drive is a slight incline. Jogged/walked up to it. The access has electric poles, evenly spaced, a nice distance apart. Would run up to first, walk back. Run to second, walk back. Run to third, walk back. Each run tried to accelerate a bit at the end. Felt better than I thought I would. First time my legs actually felt like they had any pep in them.

------

Thanks Mick.
Mickey O'neil wrote:Nice.
theAbstract wrote:Friday, July 26, 2013While I was running a little old asian lady came to the park. I think she was a little old asian lady. I didn't have my glasses so it could have been a young man dressed like an old asian lady.

I was impressed.

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Post by Koko, Beware » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:06 am

Your goals are almost exactky identical to mine. Will be checking in on your log and rooting for you.
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:24 pm

I'm going to flat out say it: If this is the way you approach the weight work your not gong to come anywhere near your goals.

This is kind of doing everything half assed. You have to push one aspect of this if you want to progress.

newguy

Re:

Post by newguy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I'm going to flat out say it: If this is the way you approach the weight work your not gong to come anywhere near your goals.

This is kind of doing everything half assed. You have to push one aspect of this if you want to progress.
I see what you are saying and thanks for the feedback, but shit. I've got to start somewhere. Two times a week lifting and two to three times a week running for a year should yield something. Even if it is not optimal......

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:45 am

Koko, Beware wrote:Your goals are almost exactky identical to mine. Will be checking in on your log and rooting for you.
Thanks KB!

One pound at a time.

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:26 pm

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Run - jogged to park, run intervals (stride length, walk back), jog/run home.
Total time out - 25 minutes.

Felt o.k. today. not bad. Was able to increase speed during the intervals and accelerate at the end of each one. Walk back and start again instantly. For first time was able to do a quick jog back home.

Feeling my legs getting some running strength back.

----

I think that intervals are the best way to build back up my running strength and stamina. My tendency is to start pushing distance too soon and I end up burning out. So I need to stay focused and just keep doing my intervals. Vary the distance and speed a bit, but stay within the idea of run then walk.

newguy

Post by newguy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:46 pm

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Bench press - 197.5 * 5, 5, 5; 145 * 7, 7, 5, 5, 5
Trap bar deadlift - 157.5 * 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
standing press 75 * 5, 5, 5
squat - 155 * 3, 3, 3
some DB hammer curls.
--
good workout today. I think the running at this point is helping. I am feeling a little more "in shape" while lifting.

Decided to add a few sets of the press and squat. Very light, just to keep the groove. might keep doing this, might not. i'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll do the same for the weekend workout. After pressing and squatting, doing a few light bench presses. I think trap bar deadlifting once a week might be enough.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Standing Press - 115 * 5 sets of 5
Squat 222.5 * 3 sets of 5; 155 * 3 sets of 5
DB Incline Press 40's * 3 sets of 8
Some DB curls
---
The lighter squats and DB incline press were supersets. Much harder than I thought it would be. Did band pull aparts throughout the workout.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Jog/Run/Walk - jogged to the bike trail access road. Did a series of progressive intervals. Jogged back. Total time out, 30 minutes

Legs felt heavy today. It was hard to pick up speed during the intervals.

newguy

Post by newguy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:52 am

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bench Press - 198.25 * four sets of five
Trap Bar Deadlift - 160 * five sets of five

and that was that

--------

back to work with a vengance.....both lifts felt fine. Strong and smooth. Not a lot of time so I got in my work sets and called it a day.

newguy

Post by newguy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:57 am

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

28 kg swings - 5 sets of 20
16kg h2h swings - 2 sets of 30 (not 30 each hand. 30 swings each set).

-----

Broke a sweat and made the heart pound a bit. Getting back in shape is a *&%$$!

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Standing Press - 116.25 * 5 sets of 5
Squat - 225 * 4 sets of 5
Bench Press (narrower grip) 135 * 5 sets of 5
some DB curls

----

Good workout. Decided to add another working set to the squats to bring up the working reps. Will add some lighter squats to next workout to push up the volume. Going to do the same with bench. Cut back on the "back off" reps on the main workout, focus on the working sets, and add the lighter weights to the other workout to increase frequency. I'll see how that works for a while.

newguy

Post by newguy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:26 am

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Run/Walk
Short. Took the dog with me. A lot of short sprints.

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:52 am

Monday, August 12, 2013

AM
Way of Energy, basic stance, 5:00

PM
28kg two hand swings
5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 25, 25
5, 10, 15, 20, 20...ouch

Stretch
----

Starting AM qigong again. The Way of Energy seemed to work once, so I am going to go back and give it another go.

The two hand swings did not go well. Just could not get into a good rhythm. That last set I felt a solid twinge in my back and stopped. Stretched out for awhile.

I think I am going to drop those. I would be better off either running or stretching anyways.

I know I did not drink enough water today. Need to be hydrated. Everytime I hurt my back it seems like it is a day when I just did not drink enough water and/or do the things I need to during the day. (Move, stretch, etc.)

newguy

Post by newguy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:05 am

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

AM
Way of Energy, Standing Wu Chi - 5:00
simple stretches and breathing

PM
Jacuzzi - 40 minutes
------
Back was real tight today. Borderline injured. Spent the day doing as much walking and stretching as I could. When I got home I decided no need to risk anything. Just sit in the Jacuzzi. Will repeat the same tomorrow and lift on Thursday.
---
It is important to stay focused. My goals are 1. Lifting, 2. lose some weight, 3. run 4. get some flexibility...in that order. There was no need for KB swings yesterday, let alone trying to push the volume, with 28kg. Silly. I would have been better off either taking a short run, or doing some YRG. Or even an arm day. More curls are good for the soul.