Liquid Swords

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: Liquid Swords

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:38 am

theAbstract wrote:Monday, August 12, 2013

AM
Way of Energy, basic stance, 5:00

PM
28kg two hand swings
5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 25, 25
5, 10, 15, 20, 20...ouch

Stretch
----

Starting AM qigong again. The Way of Energy seemed to work once, so I am going to go back and give it another go.

The two hand swings did not go well. Just could not get into a good rhythm. That last set I felt a solid twinge in my back and stopped. Stretched out for awhile.

I think I am going to drop those. I would be better off either running or stretching anyways.

I know I did not drink enough water today. Need to be hydrated. Everytime I hurt my back it seems like it is a day when I just did not drink enough water and/or do the things I need to during the day. (Move, stretch, etc.)
I've been wanting to make a T-bar to do heavier swings. You have to be careful though. Hope you feel better soon.

newguy

Post by newguy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:35 am

Thanks Mick. I think a t-bar would be great for swings....better than a kettlebell, at least for me. With two hand swings, my arms feel too short and my chest too big. It is like I am rounding my back to avoid my crotch and hunching my back to fit the bell.
----
Yesterday - AM quigong, WoE, Standing WC - 5:00 (added some warm up j/m).
PM - 45 minutes in Jacuzzi at gym.

Today

Thursday, August 15, 2013

AM
Joint Mobility
Qigong - Way of Energy, Wu Chi, 7:00

PM
Bench Press - 200 * 5 sets of 5
Trap Bar Deadlift 162.5 * 5 sets of 5

-----
Back is feeling good. Making sure I stay hydrated and moving around during the day. Also, took a little more time between getting home from work and working out. Stretched more, did some things around the house, had water, some protein..etc. etc.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Saturday, August 15, 2013

Standing Press - 117.5 * 4 sets of 5, then 4, 1, 2, 3
Squat - 227.5 * 2, 3, 5 then 185 * 6 sets of 3
Bench Press - 145 * 2 series of 2, 3, 5
----
I pushed the pace on the standing press and it showed. Could not hit the 5th set of 5. Arms just gave out. So I added a ladder to get the total reps up to 30. This was done in about 10 minutes, which is a blistering pace for me.

I am going to tweak the squat a bit. The repeat "heavy" sets of five may drain my back (and mind). Going to try working up to my top set of 5 with a ladder (2, 3, 5) then back off for multiple sets. This might be a bit of a better plan.

newguy

Post by newguy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:05 am

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Bench Press - 201.25 * 2, 3, 5; 185 * 6 sets of 3
Trap Bar Dead - 165 * 4 sets of 5; 1 series of 2, 3, 5
---
Some notes -
* started the official, for real, weight loss, effort. going LOW carb, moderate protein, higher fat. Been changing diet since Saturday.
* Dropped qigong. I wish I could do it, but any minute standing is another minute I could walk the dogs. I am trying to work up to an hour each morning of dog walking....not easy. Realistically I need to be up at 4:00 AM to get this done. Not easy for me right now.
* Eliminating carbs....easy during week...harder during weekends. hardest part is honestly the drink at night. Giving up beer is easy....if I replace it with some whiskey or tequila....the goal is to lose weight, not be Muslim. So if I can keep losing weight and have some whiskey or tequila at night then I am not going to stress. If I don't lose weight..then I will cut alcohol and replace it with diet Cherry Coke.) The original Banting Diet allowed hard alcohol and wine, but not beer, I think.
* Trying to keep mind positive. Noticed that I have a negative/cynical streak going. Not good. Carrying too much stress. Not good. Let it go. By nature I am a positive person and I need to embrace this.

Going to do the best I can when I can. I have lost the weight before, been in better shape before. No reason I cannot do it again if I keep my mind right.
---
WHAT I ATE TODAY (for reference)
AM
cup of coffee with organic heavy cream
cup of coffee with coconut oil

during day
coffee...black

PM
before workout
2 cheese sticks dipped in salted olive oil

Dinner
2 chicken thighs
2 bratwurst sausage

2 decent pours of whiskey on ice.

newguy

Post by newguy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:45 am

Thursday, 8/22

Long work day, tons of traffic on the way home. Just did an easy 15 minutes to break a sweat.
15 minutes - rotate sets of three, DB press with 40s, curl with 65. Got 11 sets for 33 reps.

What I ate today
AM - coffee with heavy cream
During day - black coffee
Late afternoon - 2 cheese sticks
Dinner - 2 all beef, organic hot dogs.
One glass of whiskey on ice.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Jesus, how many calories is that? Eyeballing I'm guessing around 600? Maybe a little more if you use a lot of cream in your coffee or a really generous pour with the whisky? And it's sure as hell not a lot of protein.

your body, but there are better ways to lose weight fast. Check out Lyle McD's Rapid Fat Loss.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:11 am

Jon wrote:
Jesus, how many calories is that? Eyeballing I'm guessing around 600? Maybe a little more if you use a lot of cream in your coffee or a really generous pour with the whisky? And it's sure as hell not a lot of protein.

your body, but there are better ways to lose weight fast. Check out Lyle McD's Rapid Fat Loss.
I calculated 1000....not gonna lie. Woke up with stomach pains. While feeding dog thought about eating a bit....(did not.) today is a planned eating night. Going out with some friends and beers and burgers are on the menu.

----

To clarify....thought about taking a bite of the dog food......

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:07 am

Saturday, 8/24/2013

Military Press 118.75 * 5, 5, 2,3,5, 2,3,5, 1,2,3
Squat 230 * 2, 3, 5; 225 * 5 singles
Straight Leg Deadlift - 135 * 2, 3, 5

----
It was really hot in the garage today.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:04 am

theAbstract wrote:
Jon wrote:

I calculated 1000....not gonna lie. Woke up with stomach pains. While feeding dog thought about eating a bit....(did not.) today is a planned eating night. Going out with some friends and beers and burgers are on the menu.

----

To clarify....thought about taking a bite of the dog food......
Jon beat me to the punch on his comment. That looks like a snack to me, except for the cheese sticks. Man's gotta eat.