<<<WICKEDARELEVELEDRIGHTEOUSAREFREE>>>

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

<<<WICKEDARELEVELEDRIGHTEOUSAREFREE>>>

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:54 pm

2013.07.20PM; just got back from Eastern Europe, sorely vexed by mind-shattering jetlag. Went for a 2 hour hike in the mountains to ease my mind and body. Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: <<<WICKEDARELEVELEDRIGHTEOUSAREFREE>>>

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:57 pm

2013.07.21PM; first workout, the weights here were so light that I won’t bother reporting them.

1. Bench Press 4 x 8, 3 x 10
2. Deadlift 4 x8
3. Curl 3 x 10
4. Lateral Raise 3 x 10
5. Flys 3 x 10

Time – 1:06:41

Aloha!
Last edited by Fat Cat on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:58 pm

2013.07.22PM; swimming and grilling with friends and family after work. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:48 pm

2013.07.23PM; jiu-jitsu…first session back since late June, but generally felt pretty spry. I just rolled lightly for 40 minutes and then stretched and called it a day. I intend to ease back into things at a measured pace. Aloha!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Welcome back, Mak! I hope you had a great time on vacation!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Thank you Mickey. It's good to be back.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:42 pm

2013.07.24PM; jiu-jitsu…half an hour of light rolling and then an hour of drilling passes and sweeps from spider guard. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:52 pm

2013.07.25PM; light bench day.

1. Bench Press 5 x 4 @ 145 lbs.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:15 am

2013.07.26PM; jiu-jitsu…Rolled lightly for 40 minutes and then stretched and called it a day.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:16 am

2013.07.27PM; heavier day. All sets same weight.

1. Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 175 lbs.
2. Deadlift 5 x 5 @ 225 lbs.
3. Curls 3 x 10 @ 70 lbs.

Did a 6 mile hike later in the day and planted some vegetables.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:22 pm

2013.07.28PM; took my son for a hike up and down Wa‘ahila Ridge on a hot Sunday afternoon, then shaved up his Mohawk. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:08 am

2013.07.29PM; jiu-jitsu…Some kriya-yoga, power doubles, and light rolling for my warm up. Followed that with an hour drilling...guard retention against the double underhook pass for the first half, second half was leg drag passing *hard* against spider and butterfly guards.

Jiu-Jitsu is, to some extent, untying the Gordian knot of guard-play; after that basic positions and submissions are more than enough.

Rolled lightly for 40 minutes and then stretched and called it a day.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:07 pm

I want to do band pull-aparts to build rear delts and upper back strength; however I am confused as to which band I should buy. Can anyone give me advice or pointers on selecting the right one, and where to buy?

CrapSammich
Staff Sergeant

Post by CrapSammich » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Fat Cat wrote:I want to do band pull-aparts to build rear delts and upper back strength; however I am confused as to which band I should buy. Can anyone give me advice or pointers on selecting the right one, and where to buy?
Rogue lists resistance of its bands. http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-monst ... urevboqij6

I've ordered a few things from them w/ decent support and shipping time.

Maybe the #2 blue? #3 green is a pretty big jump from the blue and may be rough for higher rep pull-aparts, at least to start. (I use red for pull-aparts and orange for face-pulls, but you're stronger than I am. I'm not sure I could manage 10 decent ones w/ the green band.)

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:59 pm

I like my purple jumpstretch bands (50# resistance), and it's one of the most useful tools that I have in terms of adding variety. Great for pull-aparts, curls, assistance for pull-ups, pushdowns, etc. I think the purple is a great all-around band to have.

http://www.amazon.com/Jump-Stretch-Flex ... B002ZQE62A

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:14 pm

Doesn't Iron Mind or someone have a super powered chest expander? One would wonder, following a progressive plan, how getting really strong would effect your performance.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:26 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote:I like my purple jumpstretch bands (50# resistance), and it's one of the most useful tools that I have in terms of adding variety. Great for pull-aparts, curls, assistance for pull-ups, pushdowns, etc. I think the purple is a great all-around band to have.

Is the purple band the "light" band? I only know the EFS/JS ones by their names, not colors. They used to be all sorts of colors.

Mini's are good for warm-ups, monster-mini's are better for stronger dudes and some higher-rep work stuff, light bands are good, especially since you can grab a single or double layer of the band depending on load, and as KM mentioned light bands are good for a lot of different accessories. Anything higher is usually dopey for pull-aparts.

Tension becomes zero at the start of the movement and unable-to-be-done-correctly-in-the-least at the end of the movement.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:59 am

Kazuya Mishima wrote:I like my purple jumpstretch bands (50# resistance), and it's one of the most useful tools that I have in terms of adding variety. Great for pull-aparts, curls, assistance for pull-ups, pushdowns, etc. I think the purple is a great all-around band to have.

Thank you guys for your recommendations. I ordered the JS purple band Kaz recommended, which I believe is the same as the Rogue monster-mini in terms of resistance.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:06 pm

2013.07.30PM; Jiu-Jitsu…rolled with a pretty scrappy white belt for my warm up; if I would capture him in dangerous positions I let him out, but if he tried to spaz his way out of a position I would submit him. Mostly I am using the armbar as my main submission these days; this is something of a continuation of an evolution that I have been going through over the past year. I would say that I only use six or seven submissions with any regularity: bow and arrow choke, mata leao, cross lapel, armbar, footlock, kimura, Americana. I know many more, but a few “checkmate” attacks are better than a variety of half-hearted attempts at something clever.

Class was full of smaller, newer students so we focused on some passing drills for the first half (especially passing directly to the back) and then finishing from the back for the second half an hour. Finished up with a few more rounds of sparring and called it a day. Today was my last training session of my 37th year.

Aloha!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:12 pm

I have several of the purple bands, as well as a red, a blue, and a green and use them extensively. They wear extremely well after several years of use.

Happy Birthday, Fats! Hope it is a great one!

Soup
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Thank you, Soup.

2013.07.31PM; light bench day.

1. Bench Press 5 x 4 @ 140 lbs.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:44 pm

2013.08.01PM; jiu-jitsu…an hour of no-gi rolling, running blue belts to ground.

Aloha!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Happy belated birthday, Mak! I hope it was very enjoyable!

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Happy Birthday. You blog is some of my best reading.. which tells you where my head is at.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks Tom!

2013.08.02PM; jiu-jitsu…worked with Professor Quinn, polishing our counters against the club, knife, and pistol. He is a very technical player and it’s good to have another black belt observe and critique my technique.

Aloha!