New Dojo, new season, new log.

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Re: New Dojo, new season, new log.

Post by DARTH » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Sat. Did a demo with another sensei.

Sunday

AM

15 minutes working mechanics of strait lead on focus mit with my son.

Afternoon
20 minutes, Warmed up with some stick work and working on strait lead punches.
15 minutes Lunges, Push ups and Pull ups.
15 minutes Alternating Clean and Military Press with 36 and 53#KB and 90 degree squat-rows with the Jungle Gym.
15 minutes 1 Leg Crossover Deadlift, Bent Press and Bent row.
20 minute walk 1.5 miles.

Evening

15 minutes of working stick patterns.

Monday
AM 1 hour training a studen: Sticks, empty hand, punching mechanics.

Pulled calf while we were doing sticks.

PM 1 Hour with a student, teaching punch mechanics and fighting tricks.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:47 am

Class
7 - 8:30pm

Crom taught class tonight, I worked with my son most of the night.

Ukemi, Uchikomi drill for Ippon Seo Nage with a pole and a belt, working O Uchi Gari with me and I had him work on the strait lead punch for the last 10 minutes.

Calf was giving me some crap, sometimes I barely felt it a few times and at times "WOOOZA"!

Strength tomorrow.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Yesterday, taught 1 hour SD session

Today, so far

Messed with sticks as my Daughter got herself settled into playmode at the park for about 15 minutes

Then I did a circuit of 1 Leg Crossover DL and Russian Militar Presses with a 53#KB and 90degree Squat-Rows with the Jungle Gym for 30 minutes.

Just got done 10 minutes ago, plan to take a 30 minute speed walk w/Mady in the stroller before picking up the boy.

Got class to teach tonight6 and I am meeting with a Goju Ryu Shihan about maybe teaching at what I am calling Trooper's Hall.

Then sticks and Shinai to the head in the AM tomorrow.

New Dojo, ramping up on doing more personal training, Going to a Judo school to sit in in a few weeks and the Iron Sabbath will be here before I know it.

Time to watch Taxi Driver and cut out the bullshit and eat like a Roman instead of pig.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:29 am

30 minute fast walk with the little girl in the stroller 2:45 - 3:15.

Class: I taught Ogoshi finer points, Uchikomi solo drills and the Pass and choke against a stab to the gut.

But the first part of class I handed over to one of the senior Kyu ranks as I had to meet with a Gojo Ryu Karate Instructor and show him Trooper Hall.

He liked it so there will be classes in Goju-Ryu here as well as our Dojo and the SD and kid stuff.

I meet with the Fencing Instructor Thursday. If he signs on, I will join my boy in the sport..

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:13 pm

9-10:30am

Trained stickfighting at a slow and controled pace and intensity (no pads, just eyeprotetion and dick helmets (cups)

Then we worked Strait leads on the pads and worked on a little footowork trick.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:45 pm

Took a 45 minute walk with my little girl in her stroller with about 15 minutes of easy trot intervals.

Forcing a rest after that today, I have Open Mat tomorrow (Will do some Snake -Eyes Yoga too), Class on Saturday where we will spar with fisticuffs and S&C Sunday or Monday. Still feel Tuesday's totality.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:15 am

Got the lung funk going around, so Friday, Saturday and today no training.

Got a buddy coming over to do some weapons stuff and I will lift some KBs, pull on some straps and push the Earth away from my face.

Then I got to have a meeting that will be pivotal for a lot of my plans.

TOTAL FUCKING WAR!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:59 am

Nice open mat session at the Woodbridge Dojo tonight.

After everyone stretched out, my son, Liam had a situational question brought about by a scuffle he had with a couple neighbourhood kids.

It was an odd hold but it provided the chance to teach some principles and also deal with front headlocks.

We then worked on Ippon Seo Nage and Drop Ippon Seo Nage and 120# , 11 year old Liam was throwing myself (195#) and Jason (190#) with ease on every attempt.

This was the first time he has done the drop version of this throw.

It was good to see the immediate gain in confidence but without cockiness that he displayed.

We also went over material for "Don Draeper's" 6th Kyu test. He is one of our students who is not motivated by rank in the least but I think it's high time he get some colour around his waist.

A good day of training.

I look forward to seeing the larger crew tomorrow at 9:30!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:50 pm

SATURDAY’S ALL RIGHT FOR FIGHTING, GET A LITTLE ACTION IN!

It started as 3 Sensei, just randomly attacking each other with weapons and empty hand assaults.

Then we were joined by another, who shock off the effects of the previous night's festivities and joined us for some Nage Waza (Throwing techniques) practice.

Next we would have Uke throw Nage and then they would ground fight.

Besides good technical training this was damn good conditioning (I don't have to do no solo cardio today at least!)

Then we were joined by one of our family men for the 2nd hour.

Sensei Crom ran us through some trapping and striking entries for about 40 minutes. Aggressive frontal assaults but not as strait or up the middle as you would think, the subtleties are not hard to adopt and make a big difference and help guard against your opponent stuffing your entry with a knee up the centre.

Then I finished with introducing the group to a the strait lead punch. Using a fundamental drill they can take home if they so chose to adopt this technique then had them square off and work a drill using the strait lead as a counter to a Boxing jab and then I demoed with Lord Stomp's assistance how you can use it and also how it is an excellent entry for throws.

A good day's shugyo with sweaty gi's.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:19 am

Tuesday 7pm - 9pm

Class

Ukemi

Knife Defense Kata 1 Tenkan, Kote Giash, face down shoulder pin.

Irimi (Attack into) stab at the face Ikyu to Kensetsu Waza.

Then I let the Hung Jury teach a segment on Wrestling and it was great!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Friday night, 6:30-8pm stick and long range empty hand.

This morning I woke up with a screaming headache so I did not got to class.

A couple of hours ago I ran through some kicking and striking combos, training for about 30minutes and teaching my Son the rest of the 50 minutes.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:27 am

Tuesday

7-9pm Ju Jutsu,Arnis, Combatives and Wrestling! (Marco just got a boner.)

I started the crew with single sticks. The attack was an overhead or diagnal "Caveman" strike. I have showed them and trained them a lot the last few months with triangle stepping with a roof block into a strike or stab, but I wanted to show them an otpion against a more balanced or trained attacker, so there were 2 things I worked footwork wise.
1A- You sidestep into the reverse triangle point and lead in from that angle into waht we call "Breaking in" or in Ju Jutsu an Irimi and you unload on him

2A- Same but he trys to hit you with his off hand (as any Arnisador worth his sticks would do) and you do anothe shorter sidestep to his rear flank and bash his heas, bootmom stick stab to the ribs and horizontal srike as you ake off out of there.

The we did this empty handed against the stick.

1B- Same foot work as 1A but sine you have no weapon you check his weapon hand as you drive the other into his eyes/face and do a modified Osoto Gari where you pressure and guide the head into the groun. Basically you ar eout to bust his skull open with this and GNP or stomp and run.

2B- Like the armed but when he goes with his off hand at you, you use the double sidestep to get into the same position as
2A but you 2 count parry -feed and use Ikyu to drive him face first to the ground and break his arm.

Then since Murphy hangs at fights we worked an option should your Ikyu not work, you do a low hacking roundkick into the back of his knee itno a horse position and use Sakui Nage to tkae him over your legs while holding the wrist, you do a low edge of foot sidekick to his neck and put your weight down through it (You have to let up with your training partner, I am describing how you will do it for real) as you yank his arm towards you and hpw to ensure the shoulder dislocates and tares.

Then we played with a way to jam a Koshi Garuma , Ogoshi or simular throw by using this little Ninjitsu trick I saw on a video. For lack of a better discriptio (and to spare you all the BS on the vid besides the 2 good things I saw) the best way to describe it is you cross your arms similar to Jeannie as in I Dream of Jeannie. Sounds funny but it worked great and the more competitive Judoka like you come in for the trow the better it works and I can see how you can break some ribs like this.

Then I turned it over to one of our Nikyus, who has a Wrestling background as we did last week and again it was great stuff and good training.

Unfortunately I got the gas gut, here comes the soupy shits feeling so I did not train much on this. Kinda pissed about that.

TODAY
11AM-1:30PM
My lunch block class today was a bust so in keeping with my new mantra of "Being a professional martial arts instructor means it's actually a job and you have to work with a blue colour mindset to get shit going." (Becasue so many think they will put up their shingle and the students will flood in and they can make a great living off of evening classes and 1 weekend class is bullshit for most who do not do the current hot arts- and even a lot of them put in the work.)

So that meant that I cleaned the place up. I swept the whole floor, not just my mat and training area. When you use a push broom but use your footwork and waist rotation and time your legs, waist and arms together, it's a good workout.

I swept the mats and then mopped them, fixed a few things, took out the trash. Filled the little Century based punching bag with water and then swept the downstairs Zumba studio floor to be a nice guy and cut the owner a break so she would not have to do it after her day job and before teaching 2 Zumba classes.

I then went home

5:20-6:15 I took both of my son's to the Dojo, my 11 year old son has been doing Ju Jutsu over a year now but this was the very first lesson I ever gave my 8 year old a lesson.

It was more of a test to see if he could pay attention, follow directions and take it seriously. He's been doing Tae Kwon Do when he has PE on Wednesdays (The local Toger Kick dude comes in and teaches it for free, plus he does a cheap after school class once a week. Smart fucker and I intend to do something similar if I can at the Middle or High school level. I digress)

He likes the TKD class, thinks the clips of real Karate I showed him is bad ass but he really wants to do Ju Jutsu and sticks with me and his brother.

He did pretty good.

I taught him the basic Aiki Ju Jutsu interception and entry to forehand or roundhouse attacks and a basic Osoto Gari ( I made his brother tank for him so he could get a feel for it and the good feeling of driving his brother to the ground.

I also showed him a more combatives version but using an elbow helmet/shield entry.

He said "Like Batman!" :rock:

Then I taught him the back fall from sitting while his brother worked on his ukemi.

We wrapped it up and went home. Very proud of the little guy.

And I will be honest, training my own kids tries my patience more than someone else’s so this was also me conditioning myself for the Youth classes I will be offering soon.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Informal exchange with a Fencing coach and martial artist last night.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:06 am

6:30pm-8pm Open Mat

I worked more entry off of attacks with stick.

We worked strait lead, corkscrew hook and side kicks both Asian and French, defences against and transitioning from outside to long range striking to infighting to clinch.

I am really enjoying reawakening old skills and weapons from my pre Ju Jutsu and Arnis days. In some ways I make them work better because I am a much more seasoned and well rounded martial artist than I was before 16 years ago. Pekiti Tarsia has made me so much better at footwork, timing anlges ect. But the techniques themselves are rusty by comparison to when they were mainstays.

So I am kind of jazzed because I am working on brining them up.

He He He! :megapissed:

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:38 pm

9:30am-11:30am

Ukemi - Lots of setting high obstacles to jump over onto the crash mat. 15 minutes

Multiple attacker drills- Started with 3 on 1, with each one coming in 1 at a time for about 20 minutes

Then we started 2 at a time and then piling on like Skinheads at an Agnostic Front show!

On one, I just went on the attack and it prevented my from being boxed in and pummled.

This went on until 11.

I ran through the caveman attack stuff from Tuesday's class and Crom did some lead hand parry to counter punching.

Got some great cardio out of it and my shoulder, chest, upper back and leg muscles feel worked.

I'll save KBs and shit for tomorrow. I am going to take my boys to the Dojo in a few hours to teach them and stretch out on the mats.

Shugyo!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:52 am

Feeling tender in the hernia area.

Ran playground with 11 year old 15 minutes

Rain up and downhill with with him 5 minutes

53#KB RMPs x 3-5 x 5

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 am

6:30pm Showed up, dresses, warmed up with outside to long range striking techniques.

7PM - 9PM Ju Jutsu-Combatives Class

Part 1Striking from outside range to throwing.

Started with using a southpaw stance vs conventional. Using lead hand to pary jabs and to stop hit haymakers and straits with the Strait lead into Sode Makikomi without the abandon used in Judo.

Also used a lead elbow spear the same way and one to the ribs into Ippon Seo nage.

Part 2 Fundamental Combat and Aiki Ju Jutsu waza

Tskui (stabs) attacks- Gaku Kotegeash, Kensetsu waza-Projection and a hybrid of the 2.

Backhand attack

Part 3

Wrestling to Combat Ju Jutsu against takedowns and tackles.

Lee ran us through drils and then strpawling against takedonw, and what not. By the end I was in a pretty good roll with one of my guys. Played defense the majority of the time.

Back at it tomorrow at 11AM!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:58 am

11AM-1:30PM JU JUTSU-COMBATIVES LUNCH BLOCK

It was a good lunch today.

We went to a buffet of Arnis concepts, Sinwali drills, single stick, flow sparring.

Then we had a side of Uchikomi on Osoto Gari.

We finished with a sizeable desert of Long range striking to inside throwing.

6PM- 7PM ARNIS

With my son.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Well the Zumba People are surrendering! So now I am a shuffling.

The KB training has not been great, nuts hurt a bit after going to hard. Oh well! I'll still have fun next week at the Gathering.

Going to use the studio to it's fullest and train there almost everyday.

Going to focus my energies on alternatives to this location and following the training buzz I have been getting as to MA and moderate PT. Slow build the PT over time in intensity and volume but frequency and totality of physical activity is key. It all is to serve Martial arts training. Mostly to be able to do it.

Training schedule for October 26th - November 23rd

75% - 90% Adherence Goals when replaced by other physical activity.(I.E ChoreFit tm!)

Sunday

SMA Random practice.

SPT Strength Training .45 Hour

SRP Long walk, Yoga

Monday

MMA FAMC/Atemi Jutsu/TaiJutsu Forms 1 hour Noon

MPT Rest

MRP Yoga (Easy)

Tuesday

TMA Ju Jutsu-Combatives Class (Me, Lee teaches Wrestling segment) PM 2hours, Teach Son JJ-Com 1 hour

TPT GPP .5 hour

TRP Yoga as WO and CD

Wednesday

WMA Ju Jutsu-Combatives AM (FMAC, Uchikomi, Atemi Jutsu) 2.5hours

WPT Strength Training .5 hour Trampoline power cardio and Yoga.5 hour

WRP Yoga (Easy)

Thursday

TMA JuJutsu-Combatives Class (Sensei O'Hara) PM 2hours, Teach son JJ-Com 1 hour

TPT Rest

TRP Yoga as WU and CD

Friday

FMA JuJutsu-Comabatives Open mat 1.5 hours (Bring Son)

FPT Yoga/BW

FRP Above

Saturday

SMA JuJutsu-Combatives (JJ,FMAC, Pugilism) AM 2 hours

SPT Above

SRP Rest

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:21 pm

DARTH wrote: 5:20-6:15 I took both of my son's to the Dojo, my 11 year old son has been doing Ju Jutsu over a year now but this was the very first lesson I ever gave my 8 year old a lesson.

It was more of a test to see if he could pay attention, follow directions and take it seriously. He's been doing Tae Kwon Do when he has PE on Wednesdays (The local Toger Kick dude comes in and teaches it for free, plus he does a cheap after school class once a week. Smart fucker and I intend to do something similar if I can at the Middle or High school level. I digress)

He likes the TKD class, thinks the clips of real Karate I showed him is bad ass but he really wants to do Ju Jutsu and sticks with me and his brother.

He did pretty good.

I taught him the basic Aiki Ju Jutsu interception and entry to forehand or roundhouse attacks and a basic Osoto Gari ( I made his brother tank for him so he could get a feel for it and the good feeling of driving his brother to the ground.

I also showed him a more combatives version but using an elbow helmet/shield entry.

Then I taught him the back fall from sitting while his brother worked on his ukemi.

And I will be honest, training my own kids tries my patience more than someone else’s so this was also me conditioning myself for the Youth classes I will be offering soon.
Good stuff! Seems like a good introduction for your 8 year old and it should be fun for your sons to train together with you.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:54 am

Bram wrote:
DARTH wrote: 5:20-6:15 I took both of my son's to the Dojo, my 11 year old son has been doing Ju Jutsu over a year now but this was the very first lesson I ever gave my 8 year old a lesson.

He did pretty good.

Good stuff! Seems like a good introduction for your 8 year old and it should be fun for your sons to train together with you.
Taking the little guy Sunday!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:57 am

6:20PM - 7:50PM

With my 11 year old.

Single Stick

Slow Sparring

Cutting Drill

Attack response

Ukemi

Strait Lead, Defences.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:08 pm

JUJUTSU - COMBATIVES

9:30AM - 11:30AM

Slow trickle in to class today, so we started a tad late. I cut what I wanted to do in the middle so I could give our Shodan some times to teach Boxing. But I will not be so egalitarian if they come in late next week.

Single Stick (Medium Blade) 60 minutes

Applying to Empty hands and entering into Ju Jutsu. 15 minutes

Boxing drilling (Light Sparring and hitting the Mitts!) 30 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:52 am

DARTH wrote:Taking the little guy Sunday!
Awesome!
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:22 pm

^^ It would have been but today got messed up because of other people. I'll take him tomorrow, Tuesday at the latest.

Today 10 - 11AM Taught stick to empty hand to a private student.

5:55pm - 6:30pm My plan got FUCKED by others so instead of going to the Dojo with some KBs and my boys I trained outside while the mother in law skulked around the house.

A- Circuit
1 Leg Crossover DL 53#KB x 10/10 x 3
Russian Military Press 53#KB x 5/5 x 3
Hammer Grip Pull Ups 3 x 3WEAK, FAT FUCK! (That's how I encourage myself. The inner Padron berates and I get better.)

B- Circuit
Windmill 36#KB x 5/5 x 2, 53# x 3/3.
Bent Rows 53# x 10/10 x 3

C- Yoga stretches ( Hams, Back, hips.)

Tomorrow after I train MA, I'll do plank, supine and Jungle Gym squat rowing.