New Dojo, new season, new log.

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Re: New Dojo, new season, new log.

Post by DARTH » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:52 am

Client cancelled this AM but I was happy as I was tired so I slept until noon.

Worked doube and single stick patterns, flow drills and light, slow sparring with Iron Dog

Also fucked about with a Bokken vs sticks.

Making some real breakthroughs of late. Keeping a right angle at the wrist and elbow 95% of the time really allows you the positioning and control to deflect and stop hits you feel more than see coming and I am getting good at inserting my off hand into passing and hitting.

Man I need to see the Guru!

Then stretched out for 30 minutes.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:57 am

Tuesday 7PM - 9PM Ju Jutsu-Combatives Class

I did something a bit different, I and our new Shodan did a striking clinic where we went back and forth on some long range to inside Pugilism. He represented modern Boxing with a left lead and I taught Strait Leads from a right side forward stance with low sidekicks.

It was pretty cool and we started with telling the guys that we were going to say and demo some stuff that wil conflict with the "Dogma" of each style and that it was up to them to explore or not explore these things.

It was also cool as when the students would drill he and I would move around and work them against each other.

He is a trained Boxer an I respect his opinions very much, so I was glad of him pointing out some weaknesses he sw when we were trading shots. Many I agree with 1 or 2 I don;t think he really got (Because I've used them in my past.) but that's one of the things about our school.

Ju Jutsu is the Alpha, FMA Concepts and Combatives are the Beta but we freely differ on some things, a school that is not afraid to debate and test amongst itself.

We finished with me showing them another reason I like a right lead, the fit into throws and we used a drill were the Uke throws some jabs from the left lead and you use your lead hand to fend and when he comes with a strait right or overhand you enter in with your left as an intercept and go for Ippon Seo Nage. Then the same but Uke jams the Seo Nage and you use Ko Uchi Gari, then the same but he jams the Seo and he steps his leg back so you can't get the Ko and you go into Uchi Mata as he is really set up for that.

Throws are like punches, if you want to use them in fights and not have luck be a major player in your ability to apply them, you better learn combos that work together and work off of how he can jam or frustrate each previous technique and how that opens him up for others.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:16 am

Weds 5-6pm

Private lesson with a client where I let him beat me up a bit when he did things right and visa versa when he did not.

I am really proud of this guy. He's our oldest student but in many ways the most dedicated. He practices what I teach him everyday, trains privately with me 1 to 2 x's a week and comes to class 2-3 times a week and it shows.

He gives fuck all about ranks, belts, he just wants to better protect himself and his wife. I also sometimes train his daughter when she is in town. His faith in me is not something I take lightly and I have the utmost respect for him and he is one of my best friends. He tells me strait what he thinks if he sees something that don't sit well with him and I appreciate people like that a lot.

To top it off, the Zumba studio we are training out of is closing and in the scramble to look for another location, well he and I will be going in and getting us our own stand alone store front.

I am about to really lay the steps to fullfill a shared dream my late Sempai and I had that we were about to start right after he came back from the faithful trip to the M.E. when he died on the plane.

Yes Darth really will be operating out of a strip mall but it ain’t some Baby sitting little snot black belts and cardio Kicks for Yuppies place. Besides our Dojo and my own Hand to Hand for Self Defense classes, KBs and OT, I have a Goju Ryu group on board, possibly my Son's Fencing instructor from last year and I am looking for a Judo sensei who wants to get a kid's Youth and adult Judo club going there as well.

Got the mats, got the time, got the drive. A Spartan place with a Squat rack, I'll build a platform, get some barbells, hex bars, bring in my KBs and other toys and we will be a go.

I look forward to working my ass off at this and also teaching my son about work in our family bizz, even have plans to set up a MA Pro shop section (Going to sell them expensive BJJ and Judo Gi's, and KNIVES! guys!)and sell Darts and Dart accessories with my Lady leading that effort. (She helped her uncle run his Dart shop a few years back before he moved it to Fla.)

TOTAL DOJO/TRAINING HALL/ MA SUPPLY and DARTH'S DARTS! :supz: :rock: :supz:

I'll have to have a better name than that but the informal name of the training part itself will be TROOPER'S TRAINING HALL!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:11 am

5:30-6:30 Trained a private student KNIVES! :axe:

6:30-8 Open Mat. A few of us got together to help a 4th Kyu with the material for his 3rd Kyu test on the 23rd.

Played with Nerf long swords with the boy during commercial breaks as we watched the original Highlander.

Kid has gotten good. Great distancing, deflecting and the little shit got a disarm!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:29 am

Saturday

9:30AM-11:30AM (Ju Jutsu/Combine Martial Studies Class)

Crom taught and ran some cool drills and then an attack sequesnce.

I ran us in through some throws off of that.

Then I loaded about 2.5 cords of unsplit wood on to a Bobcat, to put in a trailer to bring home.

Even though I had the gathering coming the next day, I had to do it.

Sunday

Gathering! Great time!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:12 am

Monday - Trained a private student, sticks and other skills. 1 hour.

Tues- 7-9pm Ju Jutsu Throws, Throws, more throws.

Weds- 11:30am-1:30pm JUJUTSU / COMBATIVES / STRENGTH

I and 1 student met for the Lunch Block Class. We spent a lot of time stretching as flexibility is an issue for him and I needed a good stretch.

Then we worked striking: Strait Leads, SL's and Circular punches, Joe Lewis Sidepunch, Side kicks and Trusting front kicks or Mae Geri if your Pinky or Spells.

Then 3 runs through 1 Leg Crossover Dead Lift w/53KB x 10/10, Russian Military Press w 53KB x 5/5 and 90 Degree Squat- Rows w/the Jungle Gym.

More stretching, OUT.

5-6:15PM Trained a Private student ; Strait Lead, SL,Circular, Hook, to Arnis.
Then he used my son as an uke for throws.

I am teaching the boy about earning money, so I gave him a dollar for helping as Uke and told him the better he gets, the more he can help with and the more he will make. Someday when he is 16 or so he will show up, expecting to be a private client's Uke and I will tell him "This one is yours and now you get al the money." I want him to be an Instructor and PT when he leaves for University so he can be his own boss and set his own hours while he goes to school.

The client liked this and gave the boy $5. (The guy is also now a real good friend.)

I also let the boy throw me around with O Uchi Gari, Drop Ippon Seo Nage and Osoto Gari then we drilled a O Uchi Gari attempt where Uke (me) steps back with the target leg and how to go into drop Ippon from there.