Dave's Journey to the Platform

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Dave's Journey to the Platform

Post by davidl351 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi all,

Some background info:

27 y/o
Semi-competitive powerlifter
5'7"
150 lbs.

I really have no problems staying accountable. I love training and take it very seriously. However, I feel that keeping a training journal will provide some constructive criticisms and conversations from like-minded folks. Talking shop is something I can do any day, every day.

My ultimate goal with lifting is to be as athletic as possible with a body that was not genetically blessed to be athletic. In high school, I played football, swam, and ran track, but never really excelled at any of those sports. I only played one year of each. Actually, I quit football after the second game when I realized I was too small, not strong or fast enough, and generally sucked. The gear weighed more than me.

Now, though I weigh only 20 pounds more than I did in high school, I'm much stronger, more athletic, faster, and healthier. I chose powerlifting because I feel good when I can display raw and brute strength on a platform. Competitions also give me something to focus on. My wife also trains with me, so powerlifting allows me to deepen my connection with her. Too bad she's not as passionate about setting up training cycles as I am.

My first meet was June 2013.

Squat: 400
Deadlift: 450
Bench: 240

I had the goal of breaking Tony Conyer's all-time world record in the total, but after further investigation, realized it is a futile attempt. I believe there will never be another Tony. And I still can't believe he claimed to be drug-free his entire life. That's inhuman.
Last edited by davidl351 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Re: Dave's Journey to the Platform

Post by davidl351 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:59 pm

8/30/13

Day 1:

Squats:
315x1 (sleeves), 330 x1 (S), 350x1 (S), 365x1 (S), 385x1 (S & belt)

The plan was to do 365 x2x2 with wraps and belt, but for some reason, I can't get used to the wraps. Knowing that I successfully squatted 400 in my last competition with wraps, I figured I would have no problem. But I did. My wife commented that I did not 'look as aggressive' with the wraps. This probably means I was not 'driving' and using my legs, and instead was relying on my wraps to bounce me back up. Big mistake. I crumbled under 365 when I smoked it just a few minutes earlier without a belt.

I waited about 3 minutes, and tried to dial in. I wrapped and did 315 x2. Smoked it, but that's a given considered 315 is a 'warm-up'. I waited 3 minutes and dialed in again, remembering the feeling in the legs and telling myself to keep my eyes off the mirror in front. Un-racked 365, and blew the first one out of the water and the second one went up nearly as fast.

Though I got the feeling back, or somewhat, I still don't feel comfortable going into the meet with some doubts. Perhaps I didn't have enough practice with the wraps. This is only my second workout with wraps. Maybe a full month is better.

Close-grip bench:
205 x3x3

Pull-up ladders:
1/2/3/4/5 x3

All in all, a good day. Over dinner, I kept replaying what my squats felt like. Next time.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Good to see you post a log right out of the chute. Keep it up.

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:33 pm

DikTracy6000 wrote:Good to see you post a log right out of the chute. Keep it up.
Since I'm still new to this forum and unfamiliar with the sarcasm that runs rampant, I don't know if you're being serious or very cynical.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:28 pm

davidl351 wrote:Hi all,

New to the board, first post. Some background info:

27 y/o
5'7"
150 lbs.

I really have no problems staying accountable. I love training and take it very seriously. However, I feel that keeping a training journal will provide some constructive criticisms from like-minded folks, especially those who are stronger than me.

My ultimate goal with lifting is to be as athletic as possible with a body that was not genetically blessed to be athletic. In high school, I played football, swam, and ran track, but never really excelled at any of those sports. I only played one year of each. Actually, I quit football after the second game when I realized I was too small, not strong or fast enough, and generally sucked. The gear weighed more than me.

Now, though I weigh only 20 pounds more than I did in high school, I'm much stronger, more athletic, faster, and healthier. I chose powerlifting because I feel good when I can display raw and brute strength on a platform. Though I enjoy when roided up meatheads watch me lift and become ashamed, I know the true challenge is when I'm being judged and recorded officially.

My first meet was June 2013. I placed 2nd in Wilks out of 35 folks as 148 lbs. class with knee wraps and belt.

Eventually, I want to hit 300/400/500 at my current bodyweight.

My next meet is Sept 2013, and I plan on competing in raw, no knee wraps.
Outstanding lifting David!

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:32 am

Don't worry, cynicism and general fuckery is against the rules in training logs. Its one of the great benefits of being here. This protocol is protected by all of us.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:14 am

syaigh wrote:Don't worry, cynicism and general fuckery is against the rules in training logs. Its one of the great benefits of being here. This protocol is protected by all of us.
Thanks for that. I thought I would have to have my sarcasm radar on AAT.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:15 am

Mike Mahler wrote:

27 y/o
5'7"
150 lbs.

I really have no problems staying accountable. I love training and take it very seriously. However, I feel that keeping a training journal will provide some constructive criticisms from like-minded folks, especially those who are stronger than me.

Now, though I weigh only 20 pounds more than I did in high school, I'm much stronger, more athletic, faster, and healthier. I chose powerlifting because I feel good when I can display raw and brute strength on a platform. Though I enjoy when roided up meatheads watch me lift and become ashamed, I know the true challenge is when I'm being judged and recorded officially.

My first meet was June 2013. I placed 2nd in Wilks out of 35 folks as 148 lbs. class with knee wraps and belt.

Outstanding lifting David!
Thanks, Mike. Not quite as badass as some of the feats you were pulling back then and still are, but we all have to start somewhere.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:28 am

27 y/o
5'7"
150 lbs.

Those are some legit fucking numbers. Good work. A little sidenote. I was 155 pounds when I graduated high school. I'm down to 230 from 245 after almost 20 years from graduation.

This place is a fucking hell hole but the training logs are a place to expect positive influence and very helpful advice. You'll be amazed at the quality of help you can get from these reprobates.

Welcome.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:49 am

Wilks and P4P are only acceptable defenses for Pixie Milfs and Gypsies. You may be a Pixie..can't speak to the other two.

Glad to have you here none the less.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Ed Zachary wrote:

27 y/o
5'7"
150 lbs.

Those are some legit fucking numbers. Good work. A little sidenote. I was 155 pounds when I graduated high school. I'm down to 230 from 245 after almost 20 years from graduation.

This place is a fucking hell hole but the training logs are a place to expect positive influence and very helpful advice. You'll be amazed at the quality of help you can get from these reprobates.

Welcome.
Thanks, Ed. How do you feel at your current weight?

I lurked here for a few months after reading Shaf's ladder article. I shouldn't have been lurking that long but my account didn't get 'activated' for that time. And because I lurked, I know the hazing that goes on around here. It's fucking awesome and it provides comedic relief every day.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:36 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Wilks and P4P are only acceptable defenses for Pixie Milfs and Gypsies. You may be a Pixie..can't speak to the other two.

Glad to have you here none the less.
Now I feel ostentatious about writing my results.

Damn... I wish I was a MILF.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:53 am

9/1/13

First time using the Slingshot. Required some tweaking, but I got it and 275 flew off the chest quicker than a squirrel running from a pack of Maltese. I felt that I went a bit too heavy two days ago on my close-grips because I felt some residual soreness in my shoulders. All in all, good day.

Day 2:

Competition pause bench:
255 x1/1

Reactive SlingShot bench
265 x3
275 x3

Low-bar, close stance squats: 2 minute rest, RehBand knee sleeves, no belt
322 x3/3/3

Thick-bar RDL: 1.5 minute rest
232 x10/10

TRX face pulls
20/20
SS w/ Front levers
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:41 am

Just did some light moving today.

Jumping rope, front levers, and a Burpee/Squat pyramid to 10.

Officially 7 days out. Tomorrow starts the diet... right after a heavy squat/DL session.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:50 am

The slingshot is a fun little toy. Do you have spotters?

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:55 am

Ed Zachary wrote:The slingshot is a fun little toy. Do you have spotters?
The SS is fun - felt nothing in the shoulders. My wife usually spots me whenever she's not glued to her iPhone.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:01 am

I only ask because BD warned me that when you use a slingshot or bench shirt things get hairy fast with heavier weights.

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:11 am

Ed Zachary wrote:I only ask because BD warned me that when you use a slingshot or bench shirt things get hairy fast with heavier weights.
Are you referring to how it can alter the mechanics?

Though I've never used a bench shirt, I assume it's similar in function to the SS. When I was doing a dry run with the SS using 135#, I can see how the 'sling' part can prevent the elbows from tucking if I'm not in the right position, and let the bell drop through my epiglottis. Because of the way the SS brings the arms together and somewhat alters the mechanics of the lift, my wife couldn't use it.

I also had to be careful because 265 figuratively flew off the chest. I was not prepared for it.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:37 pm

9/2/13

The 405 was legit and I fucking smoked it. Made me wonder what the hell I have been doing the past couple of weeks. My goal of 420 is definitely within reach.

Day 3:

Squats: medium bar placement, close stance
315 x1, 335 x1 (S), 315 x2 (W), 335 x2 (W), 365 x2 (W), 385 x2 (W, B), 405 (W, B)

Thick-bar Deadlift:
372 x1, 412 x1, 432 x1 (B)
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Are you using a mixed grip on the thick bar deadlifts?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Bobby wrote:Are you using a mixed grip on the thick bar deadlifts?
Yes. Need to get my grip game up.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Light moving.

10 minutes of jump rope.
10 minutes of tumbling, cartwheels, handstand, and lever work.
26 straight chin-ups.
Tabata-style bodyweight squats. Finished last round with 17 squats. Fucking love the pump.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:31 pm

9/5 - T-minus 3 days to the meet.

Worked up to openers on the squat, bench, and an easy single at 70% with DL.

Feeling good on my lifts. I'm expecting a 20-40# PR on the squat, 20# PR on the bench, and a 50# PR on the deadlift. Not too shabby after 2.5 months of training.

Assistance
TRX face pulls - 3 x15/15/15
Spinal waves - 3 x10/10/10
Front levers - 3 x5/5/5
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:16 pm

davidl351 wrote:9/2/13

The 405 was legit and I fucking smoked it. Made me wonder what the hell I have been doing the past couple of weeks. My goal of 420 is definitely within reach.

Day 3:

Squats: medium bar placement, close stance
315 x1, 335 x1 (S), 315 x2 (W), 335 x2 (W), 365 x2 (W), 385 x2 (W, B), 405 (W, B)

Thick-bar Deadlift:
372 x1, 412 x1, 432 x1 (B)
Nice lifts, especially at a buck fitty.

davidl351
Lance Cpl.

Post by davidl351 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:10 am

A very successful meet.

Ended up with PRs on all of my lifts.

Squat: 425
Bench: 250
Deadlift: 465

Decided to back out of November worlds because of school, work, volunteer shit, and the general life interference. I am also undecided if I should continue using block periodization. It worked well for this meet, so I am inclined to take more stabs at it.
... prepare your mouth

... for burritos