TAN REN

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

TAN REN

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:47 pm

The stars are aligned and I'm ready to start logging again, summer was busy as usual and with some family dramas now starting to subside I am starting to regain some focus I'd lost.

Just come back from a weekend of competing in which I won my division and received my purple belt, felt very surreal. The purple belt felt like an elusive opponent it probably doesn't mean much to others, but it was a big thing for me. My back is still sore from the gauntlet that shit is medieval.

Tan Ren is a Japanese statement meaning training, forging or developing, this seems like an appropriate name for this log.

I've been doing bodyweight training over the last few weeks, finished with carrying a sandbag about for time, today's training:

1. Squats 4 x 25
2. Pushups 4 x 11
3. Walking lunges 4 x 10/10
4. Body row 4 sets, 20, 15, 13, 10
5. Knee raise 3 x 10
6. Sandbag carry 5 mins

The training is more about consistency not intensity so don't expect earth shattering numbers and enormous poundages, I'd like to walk away from each training feeling worked but not beat up.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: TAN REN

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:26 am

Good to have you back, zak!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:56 am

Congrats on the purple belt. People who don't train BJJ don't realize what that means and how hard you have to work to get there.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:11 am

Ed Zachary wrote:Congrats on the purple belt. People who don't train BJJ don't realize what that means and how hard you have to work to get there.
Sooth!

Way to go, buddy!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Congrats on getting the BJJ equivalent to a sho-Dan in Judo or Ju Jutsu. =D>

:drinkers: Here is to making the BJJ equivalent to 3rd/4th Dan, the Faixa Preta in another few years of hard training. :partyman:

My mats are always open to you. :supz:

SHUGYO!

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks guys!

Thursday:

30 mins prasa yoga in the morning.

BJJ, class was on knee ride escapes and counters to those escapes, class ran on a bit so not as many rounds rolling as normal, my knee has been sore lately so this was probably a good thing. The closed guard and mount are going to be the things I focus on for a while during sparring.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Friday,

BJJ, class started with a foot sweep into a snapdown, spin for the back combo. We then worked 3 armbars from the guard all linked via the classic armbar. After class I was talking to my professor where he explained a theory why the classic cross lapel choke from guard/mount was taught so early in jiu jitsu - because it takes a long time to truly master.

Finished class with 5 x 6 minute rounds of rolling, upped the intensity, using closed guard as much as I could, even rolling of mount to go back there to work, submission of the day was wrist locks especially the newer blues.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Saturday,

Taught the kids class, covered closing the distance, entering the clinch and the body fold takedown into mount. Also covered how to protect from strikes in the guard, al of this was mixed in with some fun games, kept it playful.

After the adults class I stayed to sweep and mop the mats and clean up the gym.

Sunday,

Nothing but joint mobility and food.

Monday,

Body weight work:

1. Squats 4 x 25
2. Pushups 4 x10
4. Row and suspended training device 4 x 12 with 2' iso squeeze at the top
5. Leg raise, 3 x 10
6. 5 main sand bag carry, bear hug style.

BJJ, worked the double leg and a single leg for the takedowns, we then covered the same armbars we did on Friday. Line drill sparring from the guard, trying to be aggressive with the submissions, machine gun style. Rolled a 10 minute round at the end as I got called out.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Tuesday,

Mobility work then a mixed bag of recovery work:

Tgu 4/4 with the 24kg bell
10 mins h2h drills
50 swings with the 24kg bell
50 snatches with the 16kg bell

BJJ, open mat rolled for an hour and a half with monster blue belt who has a good guard, passed it well using a combination of smashing and movement he outweighs me by 20kg and on top he uses it well, made a mistake when controlling the distance which gave him a pass, it was hard work from there on in, managed to catch him in a nice armlock from the top of turtle. Then rolled with our rising mma star, he has just signed a 5 fight deal with desert force a Dubai promotion, spent most of that roll attacking his legs with knee bars, heelhooks and footlocks, couldn't finish any, he has good wrestling again it was a long roll.

Where are these magic powers that a purple belt is supposed to bring haha!

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Wednesday.

Bodyweight work:

1. Squats 3 x 33
2. Pushups 3 x 10
3. Pullups 8,7,7,7
4. Reverse lunge 3 x 12/12
5. Close pushup 3 x 10
6. Leg raise 2 x 12
7. Sandbag carry 5 mins

BJJ, closed guard smash pass for the warm up then onto the armbar work we have been doing for the past week. Specific line drill sparring from the closed guard, sweep or submit, pass or footlock. Mixed sucess tonight from the bottom I feel very comfortable but from the top I hate pasing the closed guard, once its open I'm fine but against someone who knows how to use it well its so claustrophobic. Somemore things to work on.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Thursday,

Showed a team mate some mobility and yoga for about 45mins.

BJJ, worked some guard retrieval drills for the warm up then moved onto two de la riva sweeps. Rolling with the professor who decided to pile the pressure on, smashed past my guard I really have a good idea of what I need to be doing with my guard now, I just need to implement it.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Friday,

Jiu jitsu, worked the de la riva guard again, three sweeps linked together, I upped the pace today, giving no space and relentless pressure. I used the closed guard today in my mission to improve it using the day one armbar setup with correct pressure to get the tap.

Stretched out in from of the TV also did some McKenzie press ups.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Monday,

Body weight work:

1. Squats 4 x 25
2. Pushups 4 x10
4. Row and suspended training device 4 x 15 with 2' iso squeeze at the top
5. Leg raise, 3 x 10
6. 5 min sand bag carry, bear hug style

BJJ, opening the closed guard to overunder pass. Main bulk of the class was on the open guard sweeps and transitions. Specific sparring was good, 3 wins then off, sweep or submit, my cardio is terrible at the minute.

Worked out that between teaching and training I will be on the mat 9/10 times this week.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Tuesday,

Kids BJJ, don't normally put these in the log but there was 21 kids on the mat today! Hard bloody work haha.

BJJ, open mat roles for 40 minutes with another purple, a back and forth battle of pressure and position, got the upper hand in the position and finally secured a kimura. Finished off with a 20 minute roll with a heavy blue belt, just played top with passing the guard with a back step. 10 minutes skipping to cool down.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Wednesday,

1. Squats 3 x 33
2. Pushups 3 x 10
3. Row 4 x 15
4. Reverse lunge 4 x 12/12
5. Close grip pushup 3 x 10
6. Leg raise 2 x 15
7. Sandbag carry 5 mins

BJJ, class was on basic side control attacks, which was good our main professor is away cornering one of our fighters in Dubai so we had one of our other blackbelts take the class he tends to run over and not leave much time for rolling. My goal in rolling for the foreseeable future is to impose my will on the game as much as possible.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Been lazy with logging of late I need to get back on it. I have been organising going back to school my brain needs a challenge and I enjoy studying, I'm looking forward to it.

Training wise BJJ is the same, things are coming together nicely on the mat. classes are going well and I enjoy them but open mat has become my lab to explore and where I'm enjoying myself the most, mainly focusing on the little details that make things work effectively mount is something I am studying closely along with combining different guards/guard retrieval.

Off the mat is where I struggle the most, I always feel the need to do some PT outside of class otherwise I feel more fragile, it may be psychological. The most bang for the buck exercises for me are sandbag carries for time, Goblet/kettlebell/bodyweight squats and pushups.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:27 pm

zak-zombie wrote:Been lazy with logging of late I need to get back on it. I have been organising going back to school my brain needs a challenge and I enjoy studying, I'm looking forward to it.

Training wise BJJ is the same, things are coming together nicely on the mat. classes are going well and I enjoy them but open mat has become my lab to explore and where I'm enjoying myself the most, mainly focusing on the little details that make things work effectively mount is something I am studying closely along with combining different guards/guard retrieval.

Off the mat is where I struggle the most, I always feel the need to do some PT outside of class otherwise I feel more fragile, it may be psychological. The most bang for the buck exercises for me are sandbag carries for time, Goblet/kettlebell/bodyweight squats and pushups.
Keep exercising if it keeps you from feeling fragile.

And keep logging it, I really enjoy reading your posts - makes me sentimental for training BJJ.
"Penetrating so many secrets, we cease to believe in the unknowable. But there its sits nevertheless, calmly licking its chops." - H.L. Mencken

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks Bram!

Training does act as some kind of buffer between injuries and contributes towards general sturdiness on the mat.

Monday,

Quick workout while cooking dinner:

20 swings with 24kg bell
10 goblet squats 24kg bell
10 push ups
X 5 of the above in a non rushed circuit.

BJJ, worked on the sit up guard, rolling under to cause them to base, depending on where they base you get a sweep or a takedown. Sparring was OK until I accidentally hurt my training partner in an armbar he tried to twist out of it but made it tighter.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Tuesday,

KB work:

Clean and press 3 x 3/3 24kg
Pull ups 3x3
Goblet squat 5 x 10 28kg
Clean 5 x 3 28kg
Swing 5 x 20 24kg

BJJ: drilled uchi mata and an ankle pick for warm up, started all matches from standing I haven't been able to do this for a while as my knee hasn't been to good. Rolled for about an hour and fifteen mins with a three different people 2 whites and a purple, felt like an easy night.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Wednesday

KB work:

TGU 24kg 8/8
Snatch 50 reps total in sets of 5's 24kg

BJJ, more sit up guard work, using the lapel for added control. Rolling I was trying to be positive and keep the pressure on the other guy, attacking with sweeps and submissions chaining things together. Footlocks are becoming one of my number one submissions.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Thursday,

BJJ, class was on mount escape to x-guard from there attacking the footlock and sweeps, was a good class uneven numbers at the end I sat out of sparring.

I'm looking forward to this weekends seminars with Leo Neves a second degree black belt from Brazil whose academy is based in Sweden.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Friday

Jiu jitsu, open mat worked with a strong white belt, neutralised his strength with movement and off balancing, after submitting him a few times I went over where he was making mistakes mainly using his upper body to much especially when escaping, jiu jitsu is in the hips. Had to leave early to meet up with family for dinner, I have the combined pleasure of the mother in law staying and jiu jitsu seminars this weekend.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Finally catching up after a 3 day camp with Leo Nerves lots of details on using bodyweight and pressure when passing , mounting and a nice knee ride variation. Leo began his studies with margarida, for a lighter guy he's really good at creating pressure - he nearly choked me out with his side control pressure.

So including today I have trained jiu jitsu for 10 days straight.

KB work from today:

Clean and press 3/3 x 3
Pull up 3 x 3
Goblet squat 3 x 10
Snatch 50 reps with 24kg bell

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Wednesday,

Jiu jitsu: worked on some movement and pressure drills for back and mount control, then moved onto a knee on belly attack involving a brabo and baseball choke. Between a few of us in the academy we are going to go through our Judo kyu grades, to be a complete grappler you need to have a good knowledge of all areas, judo and jiu jitsu are one and the same, so an additional session each week will be devoted to judo and before each jiu jitsu class drilling throws and pins/transitions.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Thursday,

Jiu jitsu, class was on leg drag variations Including counter when they try and invert to avoid the pass, lots of rolling at the end including a battle against our own version of the miyao Bros pain in the ass guard to pass I don't pass often but I don't get swept or submitted either its a stalemate of a duel.