TAN REN

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Re: TAN REN

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Friday,

Jiu jitsu, 50/50 guard play, passing and avoiding the position mainy, rolling was hard and fast paced with a few young guns.

Monday,
RIP master Renato Paquet a sad last few days in the Checkmat team with the loss of our red belt, master and father figure, we held a minutes silence at beginning of the class in respect of a man who was not only a jiu jitsu master but a judo black belt a boxing champion and a pioneer of vale tudo.

Kbs

Clean and press 24kg 4 x 4/4
Swing 24kg x 100

Jiu jitsu, more on the 50/50 repeating the drills we covered on Friday. Rolling with our miyao bro, slowly unlocking the guard gaining the correct pressure.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 pm

RIP GM Paquet, forgot you were on the same team. He was the man.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks Fat Cat, he truly was the man.

Tuesday,

30 mins yoga in the morning and some kb's while cooking dinner:

Clean and press 4 x 4/4 @ 24kg
Snatch 25/25 @24kg
Hindu squat 2 x 25

Jiu jitsu open mat, worked through some of the syllabus for judo for an hour then rolled nogi for an hour, where I was hunting for toeholds and footlocks.
Last edited by zak-zombie on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:29 pm

Wednesday,

Jiu jitsu, more 50/50 guard drills and passes, I find the position interesting and if its part of grappling then you have to be aware of the possibilities of all positions whether you like them or not. Nothing to report from rolling mainly concentrated on flow.

Our main professor is going to Sao Paulo Brazil for two weeks so I've been asked to help cover some classes while he's away, should be fun. He's also competing in the Sao Paulo state championships when he's there lucky bastard.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:48 pm

No training yesterday as it was my wedding anniversary, 15 years of marriage.

Friday,

Jiu jitsu, 2 classes today:

Morning. Warmed up with some dynamic mobility work then I taught a class on attacking the turtle with options other than taking the back, game prediction for example are they leaning towards turning in or granby rolling to regain guard. Clock choke, armbar and a loop choke were some of the attacks I showed.

Evening. Open mat, rolled with a game white belt, I let him work some offence and when he went for a submission I worked my way out and on top, another match with a blue belt where I used the kimura grip to control, both the pace and direction of the mnstch. Another blue who I dominated positionally until he started getting sloppy with his arms and neck, he is both strong and explosive I can't play to much otherwise I will get hurt by him. I finally finished the session with a strong white belt frustrated him with movement and yin to his yang.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:04 pm

Monday,

KB work

Warmup was Jason's BJJ warmup drills then moved onto:

Clean and press 4 x 4/4 with 24 kg
Swings 5 x 20 with 24kg
Hindu squats 2 x 25
Sandbag carry x 5 mins

Jiu jitsu, warmed the class up with some ginastica natural type drills then moved onto attacking the turtle, clock choke, arm bar and crucifix position. No rolling for me as there was odd numbers.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Tuesday,

Nogi, taught a series from mount, climbing the mount high and attacking keylocks and kimuras and armbars, rolling was fast paced and I hunted for toeholds and kneebars.

BJJ, open mat worked with a nervous and new white belt, I tried to direct him into being more aggressive and let him attack with only small resistance from me, then rolled with a purple belt who is also a judo black belt, lots of grip fighting finished him with a footlock, I came away with some go burns from an attempted brabo from him.

Bought the kindle version of Pavel's new book, nothing earth shattering really inside but for the low price it was worth picking up as there is always a nice new drill or insight.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:32 pm

Wednesday,

BJJ only one class today as I don't do the striking classes. Our other black belt took the class demonstrating some nice chokes from side control preceded by a nice flow dril covering side and mount control, one 15 minute match at the end with a blue belt, pushed the pace and used a lot of pressure to dominate the roll. I feel like I'm finally starting to dial in on the basics and how to use them appropriately which feels weird to be doing at purple maybe its like peeling an onion.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:08 pm

zak-zombie wrote:Bought the kindle version of Pavel's new book
What book is this?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:40 am

Fat Cat wrote:
What book is this?
http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple ... kettlebell

Basically its the program minimum everyday until your tired or can't train, submaximum effort type training.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Congrats on your wedding anniversary!

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks Mickey!

Thursday,

Nogi class, taught a darce/arm triangle series I also covered some basic principles of defending arm triangles. Rolled for a while then had to leave, the class was mainly with beginner grapplers so I lowered the rolling intensity way down to make it fun for everyone.

GI class, the other professor taught some side control attacks kimuras and a choke then open mat rolling, I sat out because of odd numbers and had cooled down to much to join in when offered later.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:41 pm

zak-zombie wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:
What book is this?
http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple ... kettlebell

Basically its the program minimum everyday until your tired or can't train, submaximum effort type training.
Mahalo

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:05 pm

Anytime Fat Cat,

Friday,

Taught the GI class on a footlock variation I use with good success it works well for us shorter legged individuals. No rolling for me again, sometime coaching sucks as I feel like I can't mess with other peoples training if the numbers are even.

Open mat in the evening, managed to roll for a while with a game white belt, he's really coming on well and has a good attitude towards training. I then rolled with strikes with another purple belt, competitive and reenforcing having top position is better when being hit is involved need to do this more, was fun especially doing it in the gi.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Saturday,

Taught the kids class, my son is training regular now, its both hard and good to see him training he gets upset sometimes when he is in bad positions and being choked etc, its far better to happen in the academy where he can learn than in school yard though.

Monday,

Jiu jitsu, taught a class on passing the half guard using the leg drag to either the mount or back, I think I broke my little toe during the warm up. Nothing much to report during rolling, using pressure and bodyweight to create openings. I was then asked if I gave private lessons, I had to decline when there is two black belts at the academy there's is way more better options than my stuff.

Life related my eldest has been accepted into the police cadets, now if she tries to hit me I can claim police brutality.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Tuesday,

Open mat, rolled for an hour or so, mostly trying to work on taking away space and options from the other person, a broken toe is quite the pain when trying to move about.

Keep waiting to start the program from Pavel's new book, its not earth shattering but its low volume approach may gel well with my busy schedule, I just need to make time for it.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Tuesday,

Ran three classes today:

Nogi I covered leg drag variations from a takedown, passing the half guard.

Kids class, covered side control to mount transition, solid base and positional awareneess.

Open mat, rolled for an hour or so changed in and out with a few partners a grinder of a session where I didn't feel like I could get anything going.

Wednesday,

Jiu Jitsu, class was on passing the closed guard using double under hooks, rolled lightly with a couple of white belts tried to restrict my self to attacking within 10seconds of getting a grip.

Thursday,

Nogi, worked the same sequence I showed on Tuesday

Kids class, cross collar choke and with some of the more experienced ones I showed a scissor swep of their defence or a triangle of the failed scissor sweep.

Didn't train the adults jiu jitsu class I was beat.

Friday,

Jiu jitsu, more half guard passing using leg drag and or sprawl control, some nice sparring at the end with our old strong as a bull purple belt and judo black belt.

Open mat, sparred for an hour with our purple belt gorilla he's a big guy who moves like a light weight but has the pressure of a heavy weight, he's guard is the week point, its just getting him there thats the problem. I also rolled with our miyao blue belt who's guard frustrates me no end, I think I'm making progress then who squeaks a leg in some where.

I'm feeling beat up from training so much but not doing any supplementary work, part laziness and part just not having time, I will make up for it next week. I have been covering a lot of classes for our professor while he's in brazil and it makes me realise how much work goes in to running an academy, even from a motivation point of view.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Saturday,

Taught the kids class, carried on with lapel choke and chest bump sweep from thew guard. When my son goes to give me a hug he pummels for double understand and was explaining to my wife the other day the finer points of side control, what have I done to him Haha.

Adults class, I carried on with legf drag passes from half guard and we did specific training from half guard for 40 mins followed by four rounds of regular training.

Monday,

Coach is back from Brazil armed with some new positions today we worked some de la riva transitions and two sweeps, regular training for sparring I'm trying to work half guard from my bad side, its truly aweful at the minute.

Also managed some KB work today, swings and getups followed by some chins.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Tuesday,

Mobility warmup then 50 swings and 10 getups with the 24kg bell. This is one of the first days I've not done jiu jitsu during the week for a while felt strange not being on the mat. But it was also cool to spend some more time with my wife, shopping and a nice meal.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Wednesday,

Jiu Jitsu, class was in sweeps from the de la riva guard, including some guard transition drills. specific sparring from de la riva, got a good drubbing today, felt way of pace in most areas, conditioning, timing and technique although I did mange to hit a few of my favourite positions.

No kb work today, no space in the schedule.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:19 pm

Thursday.

Jiu jitsu, class was on butterfly guard sweeps and a nice sweep direct to the leg drag position. Rolled better tonight, tight with occasional fast transitions caught a nice elbow to the head which is turning into a nice lump now.

Extra drilling with professor this morning going over knee pinch/bear trap position submission painful stuff.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:10 am

Saturday,

Taught the kids class, my son continues with enthusiasm and progresses slowly he may not be a talent but you can't beat his never give up attitude always smiling and trying not much more I can ask of him.

Did some swings and getups with the 24kg bell follows by 4 sets of 2 pistols, and a few sets of chins can't remember the amount, nothing impressive though.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Sunday,

KB session 50 swings 10 getups with 24kg bell, after I played about with some pistols and some handbalancing/headstands I also gtg chins throughout the day.

A nice playout session.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:33 pm

Monday,

KB work, 50 swings and 10 getups

Jiu jitsu, class was x-guard entries and a couple of sweeps, felt off all session, no pop or energy, rolling was hard work felt sick at the end of class feeling really unfit lately.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Tuesday,

KB warm up then:

10x10 swings with the 24
5/5 getups with the 24
4 x 1/1 b/w pistols
4 x 1/1 b/w + 8kg pistols
2 x 2 wall walking

Slow and steady, not a lot there but its a start and you have to start somewhere.

Will update with any flexibility and jiu jitsu I do tonight.