Fixing shit

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Fixing shit

Post by JDub » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:44 am

Im actually going to try and keep a log here now. Im nursing golfers elbow, AC shoulder issues, and sciatic nerve/disc issues. I have figured out how to keep the shoulder issues at bay and corrective work is going very well with it, I just have to keep volume low on pushes/presses. I thought my elbow had healed completely but found out real quick it had not when I did some chinup variations Sunday. Everytime I do chins or pullups this shit starts happening, they may get eliminated from the program forever. For my goals I dont need them. The back is getting better day by day, nothing to write home about.

Most of my workouts are sled dragging, bodyweight shit, and resistance bands for now. If I can get healed up barbells will eventually return to the mix.
T200 wrote:Drinking is for posers until you are drinking Everclear from a an old freebase kit you found in the park.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Re: Fixing shit

Post by JDub » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:58 am

Sunday 10/20/13

AM Workout:

JM Warmup

Sled Drags:

Forward Drags- 4x60 yards w/ 110lbs (1 min rest b/w sets)
Backward Drags- 2x40 yards w/ 85lbs (1 min rest b/w sets)

*All my sled drags are power walks, like the guys at Westside Barbell do. They are done quickly and explosively but they are not runs. I dont run with dragging sleds as I thinks it defeats the purpose of sled work. If I want resisted running I would use a push sled, shute, or hills.

**My sled is made out of a truck tire(65/75r16) that weighs 35lbs and I load it with sandbags and other shit. I pull on a grass and dirt baseball/football field. 100lbs on a tire sled on grass feels like 200lbs on a flat metal sled on pavement IMO. Grass and rubber has a shit load more friction.

PM Workout:

Joint Mobility Warmup- 5 minutes

Neutral Grip Chinups- 4 singles with about a minute rest between sets. This was easy, not hard, I was testing the elbow out more than anything to see if it felt ok, it did not feel the greatest but wasnt real painful. I wont be doing these with any more frequency than once per week, if that, for the time being. I will mainly be doing my sled work and band work for lats and upper back.

1 Arm Band Rows (standing)- 6 sets of 8 per arm with light js band
Band Resisted Pushups- 3x3 with light band
Band Pullaparts- 4x20 with micro js band
Band Pushdowns- 3x20 with mini js band
Band Hammer Curls- 3x20 with mini js band

Band shoulder traction and dislocates, static stretch pecs and lats.
Also did some elbow shit with the flexbar and hand expander stuff, a little voodoo floss on the elbows.
Last edited by JDub on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
T200 wrote:Drinking is for posers until you are drinking Everclear from a an old freebase kit you found in the park.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:08 am

Monday 10/21/13

AM Workout:

JM Warmup

Sled Drags:

Walking Rows- 3x25 pulls with 110lbs
Walking Press- 3x12 presses with 110lbs
Walking Rear Delt Fly- 2x20 pulls with 35lbs
*No rest b/w rows and press all done continuous. About 30 sec rest b/w rear delt fly sets.

PM:

JM Warmup

Band Goodmornings- 4x10, 1x20*
*I anchor one band around my waist at the hinge and the other around my feet and neck. This works so much better than just double bands around the neck and feet, gives my glutes more of a pump as well. All sets were done with a light band anchored to the door and around my waist at almost max stretch plus the following bands for each set: First set was a light band, second set was an average band, third and fourth sets were with a strong band, the final set was back to the light band.

Swiss ball hamstring curls- 2x20
Swiss ball crunches- 2x12
Banded Side Bends- 1x20 each side with a light band
Plank x 45 sec.

Static stretch hammies, quads, glutes, calves, hips, etc.
Last edited by JDub on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:10 am

Tuesday 10/22/13

AM:

JM warmup

Sled Drags:

Forward Drags- 6x60 yard pulls w/ 65lbs (30 sec rest b/w)
Lateral Drags- 1x40 yards right and left side w/ 35lbs (30 sec rest b/w)

PM:

No workout, just rest and go to work

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:34 am

Wednesday 10/23/13

AM:

Joint Mobility

2 sets of 8 Lat Pulldowns with a light jump stretch band to get some soreness out.

Felt like shit all day, only a couple hours of sleep so I did not do much. What little energy I have has to be devoted to my job today. I plan a little revamp on my workout plan starting next week. More structure, more simplicity, faster means to an end.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Thursday 10/24/13

Said fuck it today and started the revamp I have in mind.

AM:

JM Warmup

Sled drags:

Forward Drags- 35x60yds, 85x60yds, 125x60yds, 140x60yds, 150x50yds
Forward Stiff Leg Drag- 60x60yds
Lateral Drags- 60x40 steps left and right
Backwards Ankle Drag- 35x40 steps per leg

PM:

JM Warmup

Standing 1 Arm Band Rows- 8 sets of 8 per arm w/ light band
Banded Pushups- 1x5 w/light band, 1x8 w/monster mini, 1x10 w/mini

*I would do 2 sets of rows for each arm, then do a set of pushups, then repeat.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Friday 10/24/13

AM:

JM warmup

Sled drags:

Forward drag- 6x60yds @ 85lbs w/30 sec rest b/w
Rows-3x10 pulls @ 150lbs
Press-3x8 presses @ 150lbs
Rear delt fly-1x15 @ 35lbs

PM:

JM warmup

Band Goodmornings- 3x10 w/ strong and light band
Last edited by JDub on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:48 am

Monday 10/28/13

AM:

JM Warmup
Sled Dragging: Forward Drags- 35lbs/60yds, 85lbs/60yds, 125lbs/60yds, 150lbs/60yds, 165lbs/50yds

PM:

JM Warmup

Standing 1 Arm Band Rows- 6 sets of 10 w/ light js band
Banded Pushups- mini band x 3, light band x 3, average band x 3
Band Pullaparts- 4 sets of 20 w/ micro js band
Behind Neck Pullaparts- 1x20 w/ light band

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Tuesday 10/29

AM:

Sled Dragging:
Forward drag- 100lbs/60yds, 6 trips w/ 1min rest b/w
Forward stiff leg drag- 35lbs/60yds, 2 trips w/ 15 sec rest

PM:

JM warmup

Hip Thrust Sequence: 30 reps, 10 from floor, 10 back elevated, 10 feet elevated
Band Goodmornings: 15(light/light), 12(light/average), 10(light/strong), 15(light/light)
Hip Thrust Sequence: 60 reps, 20/feet up, 20/back up, 20/floor
Swiss Ball Leg Curls- 3x15
Crunch/Plank Superset- 2 rounds of 15 crunches/25 sec plank

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:03 am

My biceps are sore as fuck today. I don't know if I was using them to much with the rows or what.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Wednesday 10/30

AM:

Sled drags: Forward Drags- 60lbs/60yds/8 trips

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:50 am

Saturday 11/2/13

AM:

JM warmup

Forward sled drags- 35lbs/60yds, 60/60, 80/60, 100/60, 120/60, 140/40ish crapped out
2 min rest b/w pulls.

Lower body stretches

PM:

JM warmup

Hip Thrusts: floor/20, back elevated/20, feet elevated/20; no rest b/w
Band GM's- light&light/10, light&average/10, light&strong/10; 1 min rest b/w
Hip Thrusts: same as above
Band side bends/crunch superset: 2 rounds of 10 bends per side light band and 12 crunches, no rest b/w
Planks x45sec, x30 sec, 1 min rest b/w

Lower body stretches
Last edited by JDub on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:53 am

Been jumping around a lot with workouts trying to figure some things out and I think I've I have figured out what hurts me and what helps me, for now at least. So today will hopefully be the start of my routine.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:15 am

Sunday 11/3

AM:

Sled drags:
Walking rows/walking press w/ 90lbs, alternated b/w 10 rows and 8 presses for 15 min. I think I did 6 or 8 sets. No rest between for the 15 min

Walking swimmers pull/rear delt fly- 3 sets alternating every 10 reps with 35lbs

PM:

1 arm band rows x 12/10/8/6/4/2 w/ light band
Banded push-ups- mini/3, light/3, monster mini/3, average/3
1 arm band rows x 2/4/6/8 w/ light band
Pullaparts x 20 w/ micro band
Mini band push downs x 30, 25
Mini band hammer curl x 30

Mobility and stretching with each workout
Last edited by JDub on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Monday 11/4

AM:

Sled drags:
Forward drag- 4x 120lbs/60yds
Backward drag- 2x 80lbs/60yds
Backward ankle drag- 20 steps/leg w/35lbs

2min rest b/w pulls

PM:

1 hour walk, 30 min all uphill, 30 min back down. Unsure of the distance, will have to check it.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Tuesday 11/5

AM:
Sled drags- row/press w/60lbs for 15 min, sets of 10 for each. I have no idea on total sets
20 rear delt fly with 35lbs

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:03 am

Sled dragging and lots of it, forgot to log. Nothing exciting will start bag logging in a few days.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Settled in, this is the plan. EOD sled dragging or at least 3 days per week. All low body drags using rule of 60 for main exercises (front drag/back drag). Will also be doing some ankle dragging but nothing major. In addition to that I will be stretching and doing mobility work daily. Will be doing some bodyweight and resistance band stuff a couple times per week and some easy walks a couple times per week.

I won't be logging mobility or flexibility shit. I do joint mobility as a warmup and static stretching post workout. If I'm not doing a workout on a certain day I will still do a mobility routine followed by stretching for about 20 minutes total. Maybe foam rolling on off days depending on time.

Today:

AM: Sled dragging
Forward drag/backward drag- 2 sets each for 60yds with 100lbs. Alternated b/w the two 1 min rest b/w
Ankle drags for adductor/abductor- 2 sets of each for each leg no rest w/35lbs
*I did all drags from the belt. I tried holding them in my hands and over the shoulders a few days ago and didnt like it, I felt it took away from the hips and glutes which is where I need the most work right now. It didnt seem to make it upper body dominate or anything but it was like the difference between a trap bar deadlift and a straight bar deadlift.

PM:
Quick full body joint mobility (mainly circles for each joint)
And lower body static stretch stuff (hips, hams, glutes, quads, calves, it bands, pork formula, etc). About 20 min
Last edited by JDub on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Pretty interesting to base a training program on sled drags. Looking forward to seeing how this develops. Sled drags and bw stuff and bands sounds pretty damn good.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:38 am

As banged up as I am it seemed the logical choice for some reason. Sleds are fun and hopefully get me where I want to be. As much as I miss the barbell, sleds, bands, and bodyweight make me feel better. Keep an eye on my log and feel free to give advice or criticism.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:14 am

A note on todays sled dragging. Ive been playing with the form and strap placement for sled dragging for a while now and playing with the weights vs dragging surface. Things I've discovered:

Louie Simmons had it correct when he said do your pulling as power walking instead of running. If you cant get your heart rate up high walking with a sled then go further distance, decrease the rest, up the weight, move faster without breaking into a run, etc.

Louie was also correct in saying that you should pull with the straps around a belt rather than up high in a harness position if you want to focus on the hips and posterior. I didnt think it would make as much difference as it does, for me at least, but there was significant difference there.

I use a homemade sled these days, made from a tire with a huge sandbag that I can adjust from 0-300lbs in 10lb jumps. (yes I bagged up sand into 10lb bags) I have found that grass is by far the hardest dragging surface and concrete and pavement being easier. I drag mainly on grass now because: A) it has more friction combined with my tire sled so my weight goes further(ie 100lbs feel more like 200) than if I were dragging on a smoother surface (more bang for my buck), B) the softer surface tends to be more joint friendly and causes less shin splintage, and C) the uneven terrain is good for the feet and ankle stability.

I changed up my form on forward drags today after watching a few videos today and it made a huge difference in my back pain as well as making my glutes and hamstrings feel pumped in a way they never did before. Instead of taking longer strides with a straighter leg (ie normal walking or long stride walking/power walking) I started doing more of a marching type walk. Basically lean forward, when the sled starts to move you raise up the lead leg high knee style, plant it firmly heel first, and drive yourself forward with the heel. For example this is how I was doing them, straighter leg/longer stride:

[youtube]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YNoiYsFWkS0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

And this is how I do them now (skip to about 3 min to see)
[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NLct8kmPUmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

I will still do the straighter leg style on the lighter days but for the heavier stuff the marching works best.

edit: Apparently I dont know how to fucking embed videos.

Straighter leg style: http://youtu.be/YNoiYsFWkS0
Marching style: http://youtu.be/NLct8kmPUmQ

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:21 pm

Been to hectic lately haven't been keeping up the log.

Today 11/30/13

JM warmup

Standing double arm band row- x20(monster minis), x15(monster mini + mini)
Standing 1 arm band row- 2x12/arm w/light band
Inverted Rows- 3x3 (feet on [email protected]'2, elevated [email protected]&12'2)
Neutral Grip Chins x 2, these fucking hurt the elbow, will not do these again
Standing 1 arm band row x 12 w/light band
Standing double arm band row x 20 (monster mini + micro mini)
Pushups- x10(mini band), x8(light band), x12(bodyweight)
Mini band pushdowns 2x20
Mini band curls 2x20

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:20 am

Past 2 days have been a basic mobility routine, static stretching, and shit tons of work hours. Coming back post holiday has sucked. Found a nice steep but not to long grassy hill I am going to start running. Sled work has been high priority lately and gotten the most attention. I've pulled 3-5 days per week for almost 3 months straight. I feel better conditioned, it improved some shit that was messed up and I enjoyed it. Now that I have established a little more balance to my beat up body my training is going to change slightly. More conditioning work via hills mainly.

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:47 pm

12/3

JM warmup
400 meter jog
10 hill sprints

I don't know the distance up the hill, takes about 8-10 seconds to run it. It's on grass and steep as fuck so cleats are a must. I tried walking it in my new balance minimus but could only make it about 3/4 of the way, so it's steep. My fucking glutes and quads are on fire and it been 30 min or more. I think I will try hill sprints every 3rd day and cut the volume using the 60% rule. So today would be 10, next session 6, and the next session 4. Then go back to a higher volume the next, 4th, session. I think I will do this over the sled for now as I really enjoyed it and it seems to be hitting the lower body shit I need. My goals are fun, fat loss, and pain free so I'm not worried about switching shit around right now. The days I'm not running hills I will be doing bodyweight stuff, mobility stuff, flexibility stuff, and some stuff with bands. Back is in better shape than normal which is good, elbows are still fucked up though

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:56 pm

12/4

JM warmup

Pullaparts x25 w/micro band
Standing 2 Arm Band Row- 2x20 w/monster mini and micro band/hand
Standing 1 Arm Band Row- 3x10 w/light band
Inverted Row- 4x2 w/feet elevated
Pushups- 5x8 (bw, light, mini, monster mini, micro)

Been doing the inverted rows with straps to try and take some of the grip work out due to golfers elbow. It helps some but I am considering just sticking to bands for my upper back and lat work for now. I don't want to make shit worse. The bands "feel" better anyway. I wrap the bands around the wrist and lightly grip them with my hands. Takes the grip out and helps cue pulling with the back rather than the arms.

Hill sprints tomorrow