IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:31 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:28 pm 
Gunny

From my blog...

https://sustainableevolution.wordpress. ... d-berries/

-Stan

In this article Dan John spoke of eating only meat, leaves, and berries.

The plan as written would not work for me. I need my morning coffee with cream and sugar and also need my Friday night pizza and popcorn with my family. Based upon this I executed as follows:

Eat as much meat and as many leaves and fruits and berries as I want to.

No eating after 7pm (Except on Friday).

Cream and sugar are allowed in my morning coffee.

On Fridays I eat pizza and popcorn with my family.

Walk for 45 minutes upon waking Monday through Friday prior to consuming anything with a caloric value.

Do 100 two-handed kettlebell swings with a 24kg kettlebell following the walk. I did this by four sets of 25 repetitions.

Thirty days later I have:

Lost 14 pounds.

Feel more energized and less sluggish in almost everything I do.

Sleep much better.

All of the above has led to an improved quality of life. Due to the quantity of food I consumed I never felt hungry but still burned fat. I suggest you give this a try for 30 days and see where you end up. Note that this was all I did for 30 days. I think the key to this being sustainable was that I wasn’t doing a lot of activities that increased my appetite.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:57 pm 
Gunny

Original blog post here...

https://sustainableevolution.wordpress. ... new-again/

-Stan

For a variety of reasons I am moving back to Kettlebells. Based upon this decision, below is the totality of my new plan, which will begin on or about October 12, 2015.

In the introduction to the book “Racked and Loaded” Pat Flynn said:

If strength and fat loss is what you seek, the formula for success is very plain:

Metabolic Conditioning—low frequency & low duration

Strength Training—moderate frequency & moderate duration

Brisk Walking—high frequency & high duration

Dan John preaches the Fundamental Human Movements:

-Loaded Carries

-Squat

-Hinge

-Pull

-Push

Based upon this I am looking at:

-45 minutes of brisk walking prior to breakfast Mondays through Fridays.

-Monday Evening: Kettlebell Strength Session hitting each of the Fundamental Human Movements.

-Wednesday Evening: Kettlebell Metabolic Conditioning Session using one of Pat Flynn’s complexes.

-Friday: Kettlebell Strength Session hitting each of the Fundamental Human Movements.

Whenever this gets stale I will throw in some Bryce Lane 50/20 action.

Exercise is one thing but “the battle of the knife and fork” as Lonnie Lowery of Iron Radio says is another.

On top of this I will overlay Dan John’s Meat, Leaves, and Berries program.

I will eat as much meat and as many leaves and berries as I want. The only “cheating” I allow is cream and sugar with my daily coffee and pizza and popcorn with my family on Friday evenings.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:27 pm 
Gunny

October 18, 2015 -- First day back with kettlebells...

HINGE: 100 two-handed swings with a 32kg kettlebell (five sets of 20 reps)

PUSH AND PULL: Super-set 1-2-3-4-5 ladders of one-arm KB press with a 16kg with ring pull-ups -- left arm press, right arm press, ring pull-up, move-up the ladder

SQUAT: Double kettlebell front squat 1-2-3-4-5 ladders with two 24kg kettlebells

LOADED CARRY: One arm waiter's walk with a 16kg kettlebell; 30 seconds left then 30 seconds right three times

Notes:

Going back to KBs shows me how many of the weirdo muscles (tm)(c) were weakened while I was doing barbell stuff.

While Dan John may use the terms "park bench" and "bus bench" I think I am going use the terms "race track" and "commuter" to describe my workouts. The skills you need to be competitive on the racetrack are very high end, can be risky to train for Joe and Jane Average, and though some attributes developed driving on the race track may help during the daily commute, you are investing your time and energy in an in-extremis skill set. For the non-competitors whose goal is to be able to play with their grandchildren with the same intensity that they play with their kindergartner now maybe they should invest in strength and cardiovascular training that they can use every day (i.e. in their daily commute). I may be rambling here but I suspect many IGXers get my point.

My left arm waiter's walks were challenging from a stability standpoint but I think they will soon be shown to be magic mana for the shoulders.

I need to buy a pair of 20kg KBs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:10 pm 
Gunny

20 Oct 2015

Morning:

Walk for 45 minutes

Evening:

Dan John "The Eagle" Complex

2x16kg KBs for eight rounds of:

8 repetitions double kettlebell front squat followed by Farmer's Walk 30-ish meters without ever setting the KBs down.

Note...

I think The Eagle is actually 8 FSQ, Farmer's Walk, 8 FSQ = 1 Round

Even if it is, executing it the way I did tonight, with half the reps, was good. I shall try adding additional FSQ sets next time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:59 am 
Gunny

21 Oct 2015

Walk for 45 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:57 am 

Just read the entire thread and a lot of your blog, very informative. Thanks Stan. LOTS that is relevant to where my training needs to go soon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:03 am 
Gunny

Quote:
Just read the entire thread and a lot of your blog, very informative. Thanks Stan. LOTS that is relevant to where my training needs to go soon.
Thank you Chi!

It pleases me to see that my efforts, mistakes, and injuries can be informative to others.

-Stan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:00 pm 

The addition of the discussions between Shaf and yourself really adds to the log, rather than just having a list of weights, sets and reps.

I've been running Jay's A.S.S. template recently but it does take a decent amount of time over the week; with the impending arrival of mini-Chi number 3 I need to be (much) more efficient in the gym.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:38 pm 
Gunny

October 22, 2015

Morning: Walk 45 mins.

Evening:

HINGE: 100 two-handed swings with a 32kg kettlebell (five sets of 20 reps)

PUSH AND PULL: Super-set 1-2-3-4-5 ladders of one-arm KB press with a 16kg with ring pull-ups -- left arm press, right arm press, ring pull-up, move-up the ladder

SQUAT: Double kettlebell front squat 1-2-3-4-5 ladders with two 24kg kettlebells

LOADED CARRY: One arm waiter's walk with a 16kg kettlebell; 30 seconds left then 30 seconds right three times

Notes:

I will move up to a 36kg KB in the swing next week.

I bought a pair of Rogue 20kg KBs this week so I will move up to them on the presses next week.

I REALLY like the ring pull-ups.

Double KB front squats were uncomfortable today due to super-DOMS from Dan John's "The Eagle" a few days ago.

I REALLY like the one arm waiter's walk. I think the next progression is add more sets, then start over adding time / distance, then finally weight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:53 am 
Gunny

25 October 2015

HINGE: 100 two-handed swings with a 36kg kettlebell done in five sets of 20 repetitions.

PUSH: 1-2-3-4-5 ladders of one-hand kettlebell press with a 20kg kettlebell.

PULL: Attempted 1-2-3-4-5 ladders of ring pull-ups with an 8kg kettlebell hanging off of my rogue dip belt. I accomplished 1-2-3-3-1-1.

SQUAT: 1-2-3-4-5 ladders of double kettlebell front squat with two 24kg kettlebells

LOADED CARRY: One-arm waiter's walk with a 16kg kettlebell, 30 seconds per arm, each arm four times.

Notes: Sustain all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:02 pm 
Gunny

Over the last few years I found myself occasionally drifting away from the primary purpose of a movement.

Example...

"If you deadlift less than 405, and you are using straps, then you should be using less weight on the bar because your grip strength is terrible."

Yeah but...

If the primary purpose of a deadlift for me is to work my posterior chain then it doesn't matter if I use straps because grip strength isn't my primary purpose.

Or the kettlebell swing...

If the primary purpose of doing a kettlebell swing is to work your posterior chain then do the version of the kettlebell swing that does this the best -- the two handed swing.

Or the press...

If the primary purpose of doing the press is to get your shoulders stronger then stop using leg drive.

Or cardio or whatever...

Make sense?

"Focus on your one purpose."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Went back a few pages and found some useful things.
I also noticed the walking. I recently added quick walking (15 min/mile +/-) based on things I've seen & heard from numerous people. I don't have a personal data point as evidence of its wonders but it's definitely doing me good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:50 pm 
Gunny

Quote:
Went back a few pages and found some useful things.
I also noticed the walking. I recently added quick walking (15 min/mile +/-) based on things I've seen & heard from numerous people. I don't have a personal data point as evidence of its wonders but it's definitely doing me good.
I am again happy to my efforts are found to be useful by others.

The walking was a life-changer for me. The biggest parts being fat-loss due to it being fasted and sleeping better at night.

-Stan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:52 pm 
Gunny

27 October 2015

Dan John's "Armor Building" kettlebell complex:

Two repetitions of double kettlebell clean

One repetition of double kettlebell press

Three repetitions of double kettlebell front squat

I did the above with two 16kg kettlebells for 12 minutes.

Pat Flynn notes that 12-15 minute complexes is the sweet spot. Since this was my first time with this complex I did it for 12 minutes and I am smoked.

Note I have had to miss my morning walks the last two days due to a sick child and a traveling wife.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:12 pm 
Gunny

28 October 2015

Walk for 45 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:44 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Nice stuff.

I just did the Eagle again a while back, and had forgotten how much it starts to suck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:52 pm 

Stan, how many 1-2-3-4-5 ladders are you doing? How much do you rest between rungs and ladders?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:57 pm 

Quote:
Nice stuff.

I just did the Eagle again a while back, and had forgotten how much it starts to suck
You can always do 'The Beagle' (Bar Eagle, devised by Gary John): put a bunch of plates on a trap bar, lift it eight times and don't put it down, then walk a few paces carrying the damn thing and do seven more circuits.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:53 pm 
Gunny

Quote:
Nice stuff.

Did you do it FSQ-Walk-FSQ=One Rep?
Quote:
Stan, how many 1-2-3-4-5 ladders are you doing? How much do you rest between rungs and ladders?
One ladder for now.

Rest is minimal because the weight isn't heavy -- less than one minute between rungs. I will likely continue moving up in KB weight until I get to the 24kg and from there stay with five sets but increase the reps.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:22 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Nice stuff.

Did you do it FSQ-Walk-FSQ=One Rep?
Quote:
One ladder for now.

Rest is minimal because the weight isn't heavy -- less than one minute between rungs. I will likely continue moving up in KB weight until I get to the 24kg and from there stay with five sets but increase the reps.
Thanks, Stan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:38 pm 
Gunny

29 October 2015

Morning: Walk for 45 minutes.

Evening:

HINGE: 100 two-handed swings with a 36kg kettlebell done in five sets of 20 repetitions.

PUSH: 1-2-3-4-5 ladders of one-hand kettlebell press with a 20kg kettlebell.

PULL: I began for the millionth time in my life the Recon Ron Pull-Up Program. Tonight was ring pull-ups of 7,6,5,5,5

SQUAT: 1-2-3-4-5 ladders of double kettlebell front squat with two 24kg kettlebells

LOADED CARRY: One-arm waiter's walk with a 16kg kettlebell, 30 seconds per arm, each arm four times.

Notes:

For swings I am going to drop back to the 32kg kettlebell or lighter if I have to and begin emphasizing "attack the zipper" as Dan John says. Episode 008 of the Ballistic Strength Nanaimo podcast had some good science to backup Dan John's "attack the zipper" methodology. I am not a scientist but it sounded correct to me. :-) Here is the podcast -- http://www.ballisticstrengthnanaimo.com ... sodes.html

For the press I am I going to continue to do one ladder of five sets with the 20 kg but move up the numbers from 1-2-3-4-5 to 2-3-4-5-6 and so on and see how far I get. Once this gets stupid I will move up to the 24kg and start over.

Sustain the remainder.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:26 pm 
Gunny

Tomorrow morning I am back with the barbell.

For whatever reason, my blood pressure is lower when I do little to no cardio and more barbell.

Strange...

More info here:

https://sustainableevolution.wordpress. ... ertension/

Here is my new template:
Attachment:
image.png
image.png [ 174.45 KiB | Viewed 3571 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:51 pm 
Gunny

24 August 2016

Wake at 4:30am and drank my "Hypertension Cocktail" which is an iced mix of one cup of wild berry hibiscus tea, one cup of beet juice, and one cup of water. The wild berry cancels out most of the beet taste so this is tolerable. Hibiscus tea and beet juice each on their own are supposed to lower blood pressure so both together should be better right? :-)

Note from now until my PT clears my left bicep tendon I can only do safety bar squats and trap bar deadlifts so...

3 minutes warm-up on the rowing machine

Safety Squat Bar: Barx3; then 135 1-2-3-1 then 95 for 1-2-3-1-2-3

Trap Bar Deadlift: 135x3 then 185 for 1-2-3 then 3-3-3-3

Notes:

The squats hurt something fierce which is why I had to drop the weight. Not hurt like pain but hurt like the squat saying "You friggin owe me Stanley. You haven't squatted with a barbell for nearly one year."

The TBDL felt really good.

I have no idea how much the SSB or TBDL actually weigh so I treat them as 45lbs for simplicity's sake.

Other Notes:

I am quitting caffeine. I am going low sodium DASH diet. I will do this for one month and if my blood pressure lowers I will think about what I want to reintroduce into my life. I don't see caffeine making a comeback as I don't want to be reliant on it. Today, with my system starting to stop having headaches and little sodium I feel amazing. I don't feel up or down, just here and very much at peace. It is strange and feels really good at the same time.

Last edited by stanley_white on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:53 pm 
Lifetime IGer

I've been saying for a few years that I am going to quit caffeine but have yet to do it. I would really like to give a real try though. I drink waaaay too much and don't really feel a whole lot from it anymore. My sleep isn't the best either.

Btw, my CAP Barbell Olympic 2-Inch Combo Hex Bar trap bar weighs 50#, IIRC.

https://vimeo.com/72300807

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:50 pm 
Gunny

Quote:
I've been saying for a few years that I am going to quit caffeine but have yet to do it. I would really like to give a real try though. I drink waaaay too much and don't really feel a whole lot from it anymore. My sleep isn't the best either.

Btw, my CAP Barbell Olympic 2-Inch Combo Hex Bar trap bar weighs 50#, IIRC.
Caffeine headaches are gone now so for me that was about 72-96 hours.

Thank you for the note on the trap bar weight.

-Stsn

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next