=-=-=battle=-=-=royale=-=-=survival=-=-=program=-=-=

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: =-=-=battle=-=-=royale=-=-=survival=-=-=program=-=-=

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:13 am

2013.12.23PM; after work...

1. Press 3 x 8
2. Curl 3 x 8
3. Bench Press 3 x 8
4. Bent Row 3 x 8
5. Squats 3 x 12
6. Pullovers 3 x 15
7. Calf Raises 3 x 15
8. Abs 2 x 20

More swordplay, sword and buckler vs. double axes in the hands of a six year old.

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:24 am

Where did my avatar go?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:21 am

2013.12.25PM; Christ is born.

1. Press 3 x 8
2. Curl 3 x 8
3. Bench Press 3 x 8
4. Bent Row 3 x 8
5. Squats 3 x 12
6. Pullovers 3 x 15
7. Calf Raises 3 x 15
8. Abs 2 x 20

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:09 pm

2013.12.27PM; jiu-jitsu...taught the self defense class, working against knife thrusts. Followed up with some sparring against a very solid purple belt. I had taken the week off for Christmas; I am hosting my father-in-law and we always have a huge number of guests for a Christmas Eve party. Anyway, all the food and drink made me feel utterly sluggish, but whatever. It felt good to be back on the mat, even if I couldn't breathe.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:34 pm

2012.12.28AM; jiu-jitsu...took my son to jiu-jitsu and helped coach the class. We did various escaping drills: bridging, hip heists, shoulder rolls, sit outs, etc. with lots of repetition. Last half of the class we marked out three rings and had them do sumo-rules wrestling, which they really enjoyed. I consider sumo to be great "battle wrestling" because it's all about base, agility, and aggressiveness and is a good balance to the more cerebral jiu-jitsu style. Anyway, lots of smiles and laughter is good.

In the afternoon I went out in the yard and did some swings and presses with a 32 kg kettlebell and reflected on where I will take my supplemental training in the New Year. I had something of an epiphany about my past behavior, which is that I train until I start to burn out, and then switch to some other style of training. I usually justify this as being acceptable, since my lifting is really just a diversion from jiu-jitsu. That said, the more mature response is not to completely shift training gears, but instead to alter the intensity and cycle through these periods rationally. Intellectually, I have known this to be true for a long time, but my new understanding comes from the way I actually behave in my life.

At the beginning of October I set out a 40 workout plan, and got through 21 workouts with an excellent increase in strength (my press went from a single shaky rep with 150 lbs. to multiple sets of doubles with 160 lbs. in two months, also 315 lbs. x 5 in the deadlift was another "recent max".) Then I got totally burnt out, where I would feel nauseated if I even thought about my workouts, and for the past couple of weeks have just messed around with other things. What I now believe I should have done is to just back off, drop all the accessory exercises (rows and curls) take easy workouts for a couple of weeks, only ramping things back up when I felt refreshed.

My plan now for 2014 is to rest through the New Year and then continue the quest for a body weight press, somewhere around 215 or 220 lbs. In order to do that, I will have to apply what I have talked about here, going through steps of progression and then consolidation. If I succeed, I believe I can take my strength levels to a new place.

Aloha!

A lot of the mistakes that I made are self-evident upon reading this: http://danjohn.net/2013/12/the-forty-day-workout-again/

"For the next forty workouts, pick five lifts. Do them every workout. Never miss a rep, in fact, never even get close to struggling. Go as light as you need to go and don’t go over ten reps for any of the movements. It is going to seem easy. When the weights feel light, simply add more weight.” -P.T.
Last edited by Fat Cat on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:35 pm

2013.12.29PM; went for a short hike on a steep hill, a little more than an hour all told. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:35 am

http://www.youtube.com/embed/CiHS479uee8

The video will not embed, but this is what real internal strength looks like, Kosei Inoue toys with Yōsuke Yamamoto. Notice all the correct elements: an upright posture, natural stance, relaxed body, calm mind leading the mutual energy. Watch the koshi guruma at 1:15, casually hip tossing a world champion.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:22 am

Fat Cat wrote:http://www.youtube.com/embed/CiHS479uee8

The video will not embed, but this is what real internal strength looks like, Kosei Inoue toys with Yōsuke Yamamoto. Notice all the correct elements: an upright posture, natural stance, relaxed body, calm mind leading the mutual energy. Watch the koshi guruma at 1:15, casually hip tossing a world champion.
Here ya go:

Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:28 am

2013.12.30: Jiu Jitsu....some light sparring with a good, lighter purple belt as the warm up, really just flow rolling to get the blood flowing on a "cold" 80-degree winter day here in Hawaii. Class was an hour of drilling knee on belly changes and attacks from a sitting up De La Riva position, some sweeps and evolutions to take downs. Finished with more sparring in 6 minute rounds, I almost got trounced by our best brown belt but was on the comeback trail when the bell sounded.

Thus endeth 2013's continuing study of the art of Jiu-Jitsu. I look forward to another injury-free and fruitful year ahead.

Aloha!