New hip, New log

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

STB
Staff Sergeant

New hip, New log

Post by STB » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Haven't posted in a while as I've been dealing with OA of the hip, bone on bone. Ha left hip total replacement on 11/11/13 and decided I had better start my log now to track my progress bouncing back from this shit. Been doing the prescribed therapy exercises since day 0, and added walking on 11/18. Started at 1/4 mile outside on my street assisted by a walker. As of 11/19, have been able to make short bursts around the house unassisted but use the walker or crutches when covering any distance. Did mostly dips and chins pre-op so I would be strong enough to be mobile with crutches etc. Will continue as is until I can get to the gym and start on the elliptical. We have a treadmill at home but the doc wants me to stay off of it until I'm a little more steady so I don't biff it and [email protected]#k myself up. Slow and steady.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Re: New hip, New log

Post by syaigh » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Best of luck to you. I've helped my mom rehab from two hip replacements and its no joke.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Fantastic.. you may want to talk to Dan John for hints as well.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

STB
Staff Sergeant

Post by STB » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks syaigh! Being 45, I thought I was way too young for this but the limitations that the bad hip put on me slowly became the worse option. Not only had I all but given up on fitness, I was skipping family hikes, walks to the fishing hole, and rough housing with my boys. Rehab will be a slow, uphill climb but at least the pain I'm feeling now will get better as I heal. Tom, I do plan on hitting up DJ for everything I can as well as other igxer's that have ended up in similar straits. Thanks for the advice! BTW, graduated to the cane today and walked .75 miles outside.

STB
Staff Sergeant

Post by STB » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:05 pm

11/23

Walked .5 miles with cane. 2 rounds standard hip rehab exercises.

STB
Staff Sergeant

Post by STB » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:21 am

11/24
3 x .5 mile walking with cane
3 rounds rehab exercises
11/25
3 x .5 mile walking with cane
3 rounds rehab exercises
11/26
3 x 10 minutes on treadmill Treadmill is an oldie, none of the readouts work so no idea how far. Was pretty knackered when done though.
2 rounds rehab exercises.
Amazing, my ROM on the replaced hip is already wider than pre surgery, and the muscles get stronger every day. I cantell I'm going to have to add some light stretches soon but the thought of dislocation freaks me out a bit.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:30 am

Looks like you are coming along great! Keep up the great progress. We all want you back at your best for a long happy life.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

STB
Staff Sergeant

Post by STB » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Up to over a mile a day. Ready to kick this cane to the curb pretty soon. Limp doesn't show up until after a half mile or so. Doing some band adduction/abduction stuff randomly. After 2 years of misery, starting to think I made the right choice.

STB
Staff Sergeant

Post by STB » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Walking several miles a day. No cane,no limp if I concentrate. Started 30 min. 3x a week on the eliptical and am lifting and hauling loads up to +/- #50 at work.

STB
Staff Sergeant

Post by STB » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:52 am

Doc gave me full release if that's the right word, don't have to see him for 5 yrs if I don't screw something up!! Started 50/20 on dips and chins along with eliptical and band work for the hip, Numbers are pathetic, 25 on dips, and 20 on chins (band assisted).

CrapSammich
Staff Sergeant

Post by CrapSammich » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:09 pm

STB wrote:Being 45, I thought I was way too young for this but the limitations that the bad hip put on me slowly became the worse option.
Ugh--that's rough. But it sounds like you're making good progress--keep it up!