Bram's Exercise Programming

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Bram's Exercise Programming

Post by Bram » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:49 pm

After 3+ years of trying to come up with some crazy, jive workout routine that required constant band-aid's and fixes, I've decided to abandon it for something more sensible and progressive.

It's hard to point to an exact motivator, but this quote from Mark Rippetoe really slapped me in the face with what I've been doing:

"People working very hard at high-intensity high-volume physical tasks are going to get hurt, no matter why they're doing the work. One of the reasons that Training results in long-term improvement is that it properly assesses the current state of the athlete and logically plans for improvement in a way that is sustainable, safe, specific to the goal, and therefore productive. Random exposure to varying levels of volume, intensity, rest, technical complexity, and power output cannot be sustainable, safe, specific, and productive."

In any event, I've decided to create some base levels for my training (an upper body pressing day, an upper body pulling day, and a leg day, with 1 core exercise to start with). If I can handle the base level, I will progress to level 2 (base program + slightly more volume, e.g. lunges and squats versus one or the other), if I can handle level 2 I will re-integrate athletic exercises, extra stabilizers and higher volume on the main exercises.

Outside of the gym, I plan to continue cardiovascular training, sports training and my meditation practice - all of which I will record here.

I also plan to eat good food, drink plenty of water and get enough sleep - but I will for the most part, not record that.

Week 3

M - Lower Body 1, Rows, Bench, Rear Delts, Glute Bridges, TVA
T - Meditation, Rest
W - Upper Body Push 1, Upper Body Pull 1; Meditation
R - Cardio Lower
F - Rest
S - Lower Body Level 3+ (too aggressive, will stick to level 3)
U - Upper Body Pull Level 3

Wednesday, December 4th

Light warm-up sets, light calisthenics

Upper Body Push - Level 1
DB Bench 70's x 10, 10, 6
DB Shoulder Press 40's x 10, 10, 8
Push-Down's 50lbs x 20, 57.5lbs x 20, 15
Cable External Rotation 15lbs x 20, 20lbs x 15 x 2 sets

Upper Body Pull - Level 1
Chin-Ups with Parallel Grip x 10, 8, 6
Bent-Over Corner Rows 60lbs x 20, 65lbs x 19, 60lbs x 15
BB Curl 55lbs x 12, 10, 10
Cable Reverse Fly's 15lbs x 20 x 3 sets

Light stretching of upper body muscles at end

Meditation 30 minutes

Thursday, December 5th

Stair-Master Level 10 x 21 minutes + 3 minute warm-up and 1.5-2 minute cool-down

Light stretching lower body

Saturday, December 7th

My knee unfortunately got tweaked during a yoga shoot last weekend, sticking to weights that feel below the threshold of what it can tolerate - hoping to make a 100% recovery.

Light Calisthenics and Light Sets

Lower Body - Level 3+, done barefoot
Leg Press 140lbs x 20, 150lbs x 20 x 2
Walking Lunges x 20 each, 5lb dumbbell's x 20 each x 2 sets (felt good, forced my knee to track correctly - no issues)
Leg Press Calf Raise 70lbs x 20 x 3 sets
1-Leg Hamstring Curl 15lbs x 15 (hmm, weak), 15lbs x 15 (full ROM), 20lbs x 15
45 Low Back Extension [4 holes] x 20 x 3 sets

+ Seated Adduction 4th x 20 x 3 sets, Neck Harness Flexion/Extension 15lbs x 20 x 2 sets each, Band Side Walk - Grey x 20 x 2 sets (very short ROM, didn't feel great - only exercise that I had an issue with), tried to do Seated Calf Raise but the weight on my knees felt like a bad stress

Light stretching of lower body

Sunday, December 8th

"In the ancient meditation instructions, it is said that at the beginning thoughts will arrive one on top of another, uninterrupted, like a steep mountain waterfall. Gradually, as you perfect meditation, thoughts become like the water in a deep, narrow gorge, then a great river slowly winding its way down to the sea; finally the mind becomes like a still and placid ocean, ruffled by only the occasional ripple or wave."

~ Sogyal Rinpoche

Foam Roll - Quad, IT, Adductor, Lat, Chest, Glutes

Upper Body - Pull Level 3
Seated Cable Row 50lbs x 20, 20, 20; 55lbs x 17
Chest-Supported Row - Elbows Up [2 blocks + step] 85lbs x 20, 20; 90lbs x 20, 18
Sahrmann Level 4 x 15 each (make sure to exhale + contract before each rep), 15; Level 5 x 17 (very partial ROM), 11 (full ROM)
BB Reverse Curl 40lbs x 20, 50lbs x 15, 12; 40lbs x 12
Cable Reverse Fly 15lbs x 20, 20lbs x 20 x 3 sets

Light stretching lats, biceps and rear delts

Tried a little skateboarding, there's a hill by my house that's tough to carve, but it's the only way to survive it. Made it about 80% of the way (the end is the real kicker), then did a big turn back up the hill. Leg felt fine after, good!

...that said, my knee started to feel weak and tired at the end of the day. Iced the inside 2x.

Going to create a recovery scale.

Pain 0-10 (0 yesterday day, but maybe a 2-3 in the evening)
Function 0-10 (3-4 yesterday day, but maybe a 1-2 in the evening)

Make it my goal to keep the pain close to a 0 and the function close to a 10.

Short term goal is no need to ice it.
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Bram's Exercise Programming

Post by Bram » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:40 pm

Week 4

M- Lower Body Level 3
T- Rest
W- Meditation, Surf x 2, Qi Gong
R- Upper Body Push Level 2
F- Running, Meditation
S- Surfing
U- Surfing, Light Full Body

December 9th, Monday

Light single-leg squats, and warm-up sets to warm-up

Lower Body - Level 3

Leg Press 180lbs x 20 x 4 sets
Walking Lunges 5's x 20 x 2 sets, 7.5's x 20 x 2 sets (last 2 sets made sure to transfer weight fully to front leg, then use that to step forward, resembled a 1-leg squat in VMO and glute activation)
Lying Hamstring Curls 35lbs x 20 x 2 sets, 40lbs x 20 x 2 sets
DB Calf Raise - Toes Out 15lbs x 20, 20, 20, 17
Deadlifts 65lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Very light stretching of legs.

Talked to a couple physical therapists, they think I'll be okay. Going to check in and will update.

Update: Knee felt more and more stable throughout the day, but I'm getting a clicking under my knee. Our awesome PT checked me and said I'm totally fine (thank you God), he said I have to rest it for a few days (I think he said 4-5) - avoid the leg press and any knee flexion exercises and work my TKE's. Said the knee popping should go away too

Random Note: Felt really good to brake my bike with my foot a couple times Tuesday.

December 11th, Wednesday

Meditation 30 minutes

Surfing 15 minutes x 2

The first surf session I was all about being very safe. I did a warm-up of running in place and jumping jacks, light 1 and 2-leg plyometrics, slow standing knee raises, and forward and backward arm circles. I caught a couple quick waves off to the side of the other surfers (fun!!!!) and got out. On the last turn my knee felt just the little bit off as I used a little torque.

Second session, the sun felt harsh and it was very slow. I gave a wave to a little kid then caught a wave in a rough patch - no more of that because it's unsafe trying to pop up with it being so unstable.

I debated going in, rode one more with a huge smile, and called it a day. My knee felt very tired though and I will limit myself to one 15 minute surf max until I feel up for more - and avoiding any bigger turns until I feel I can handle it as well.

Even though the knee felt tired, the function change was incredible - I feel I can squat it, do some deep side stretches and hop on it okay.

Qi Gong 30 minutes

Was walking home from the library and passed a store I never noticed before. They had a meditation sign in the window and I had a brief inspiration to meditate twice. They have the class just twice a month and I was there randomly at that time. We did a very positive feeling qi gong practice barefoot in a room covered in salt crystals (floor too). I don't know how much more California you can get than that, but it felt good.

December 12th, Thursday

Upper Body Push - Level 2+

Light band internal/external rotation and warm-up sets

DB Incline Bench 65's x 12, 70's x 9, 8, 6
DB Seated Shoulder Press 40's x 15, 12, 10, 8
BB Skull-Crusher's 50lbs x 12, 55lbs x 10, 8; 50lbs x 10
Lying DB External Rotation 5's x 20 each side x 2 sets; Standing DB External Rotation 5lbs x 20 x 2 sets

+ Standing Cable Internal Rotation A 35lbs x 20 each side, 40lbs x 20 each side; C 30lbs x 20 each side, 11 each side; Neck Harness Flexion/Extension 15lbs x 20 each, 15lbs + 5 x 20 each

Light stretching of upper body and neck

December 13th, Friday

Barefoot run on the beach 30 minutes + 15 minutes stretching (lower body only, light-moderate). It was a perfect day out, I ran pretty slow on this gold-flecked pillow-y sand interspersed with some faster running.

I skated to work and back a few times, the second time I was hauling ass. When I got to work I finally could walk down all the stairs without an issue.

Meditation 30 minutes

December 14th, Saturday

Surfing 2 hours

I must be among the most impatient people on the planet, but my knee felt good the whole time. Tired when I got out, but not that much.

Surfed the Pump House on a negative tide, maybe a west swell? There were some excellent waves coming through interspersed with the close-outs. I spent a lot of time today watching the ASP Pipeline finals and all I can say is I have a LONG way to go with my surfing. But again, the biggest thing is forgetting to watch the wave and reacting to that versus spamming one move (it used to be pumping which I did do today, usually now it's cutbacks). I've got kick-stalls (which I don't know how to do), bottom turns and snaps to add too, plus figuring out how to ride a barrel.

December 15th, Sunday

Surfed Scripps on mid-tide and WNW swell. Fun waves, but people were dropping in on me left and right. Actually ran over this lady's board, but was going slow and just kind of bumped it. Would have loved to have surfed more, but was off to see the new Hobbit - terrible, haha.

Single-Leg VMO Squat [2 blocks + step] x 20, [3 blocks + step] x 20, [4 blocks + step] x 20, [5 blocks + step] x 20
Wall Slides x 20 x 4 sets
Sahrmann Exercises Level 4 x 15 each side, Modified Level 5 x 15 each side, 15 each side, 9 each side
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:17 pm

Week 5

M- Surfing
T- Meditation
W- Surfing 2x
R- Rest
F- Rest
S- Surfing
U- Rest

December 16th, Monday

Surfing 2 hours

Surfed Hannamond's at a high tide on a WNW swell. I'm happy to report that my body did everything I could ask of it today - fast paddling, fast popping up and a solid connection while surfing. Worked on evaluating the wave prior to committing to my drop and also making a deeper bottom turn (still a bit shallow on this). The only negative I noticed was that I've been failing to get a full wrap around on my cutback's. I'm not really familiar with this wave, but noticed some people bringing their turns all the way to the white water, so I guess that is a bad habit I've picked up.

Need to either get a waterproof watch or force myself after an estimated hour to go in and re-apply sunscreen.

December 17th, Tuesday

Meditation 30 minutes

December 18th, Wednesday

Surfing 1 hour 45 minutes
Surfing 1 hour

Surfed Little Point on a high tide with a mixed swell of WNW and S - me and at most 4 other people. My board felt heavy when I grabbed it and it felt kind of sluggish when I was surfing. I kept missing my turns, so at the very end I tried to drop all the way to the white water or even in front of it and it made a big difference. A good lesson to learn or keep in mind.

Then I surfed Windansea on a mid to low tide even though my instincts told me not to (there was an unridden break just down the beach), at first I was just getting nuts - taking off on everything, riding so so. Then I paddled to the peak, ate it, went back out, inadvertently dropped in on a guy and while I was doing this big turn he yelled at me, I tried to release the turn and pop off the wave but it sent me into the path of this other guy and I whacked his feet - fairly hard too - and he was rightly pissed off.

He told me "I could see that coming a half-an-hour away, try one less cup of coffee next time."

First I am reminded of a quote I heard somewhere "more waves coming, always more waves." I didn't need to be sitting where I was, I could have waited until I was sure I was clear on the wave too.

I had killed this meal of sweet potato's + chicken thighs + cheddar + veggies (broccoli, ginger, bell pepper and cucumber) and had tons of energy, that and remembering that there's more waves coming and I don't need to worry about this or that are my lessons from that session.

Note: I set up my smart phone on the beach (it's pretty vacant so I took the risk) and recorded an hour and fifteen of my first session, then watched it with my roommates. I always get told I surf with a wide stance, but seeing it, comparing it to pictures of pro surfers and thinking about it - it makes me realize that it's a shitty functional way to go about it. The one advantage is increased stability (less likely to fall off), the three disadvantages are decreased mobility in my hips (leading to decreased control and responsiveness), poorer weight distribution and it looks pretty awful.

I took some time standing to feel out where my hips were most mobile and will continue to work on this to figure out my peak position to be in.

More random notes: posture felt great all week from the wall slides and so did my shoulder stability when doing a couple random things. Got complemented on my big VMO's from a client - crazy how fast working certain muscles can cause progress. Also, odd flexibility I can lift my right knee super high to my chest while standing on my left foot - left glute almost cramps tho

December 20th, Saturday

Surfed for 4.5 hours

Videotaped the first hour, including one of my best waves.

If you want to feel like a crappy surfer, I suggest videotaping yourself - wow.

The good things: I faded my initial bottom turn, I did make a full cutback

The bad things: I round my lower back basically 100% of the time - most noticeable when trying to apply power, my cutback finished before I caught up to the white water and low on the face of the wave (both closer/in the white water and higher would have looked better and given me more speed), my arms flap around, I don't bend my legs very much at the bottom of my turns

Also, I don't know why it's taken me so long to realize it but I have to think surfing has very little to do with weight training. My workouts do help - I can out paddle the majority of people and I feel that my balance, leg and core strength are decent when I'm up - but it's really about form and technique in the sport and surfing a ton.

I suppose that's like most sports...anyways, makes me a bit disillusioned. I had this false image of myself that I was a lot better than I am - the reality is a wide stance and flailing arms, with sloppy and partially performed technique. I'm hard on myself, but I've seen footage of me doing yoga and Jiu-Jitsu and in those activities I can do decently, surfing I look bad. Luckily, surfing is fun - no matter how bad you are.

So, I can continue to work on improving and taping myself - and of course, I will improve if I do that because that's what practice and analyzing leads to. But, part of this has been to see how my weight training can help - and I really don't think they are correlated much at all.

Of course, the weights may truly help and I'm just mad because I'm an ugly surfer hahah, I will try and not make any rash decisions.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:27 am

Week 6

M - Meditation, Upper Body Pull
T - Rest
W - Upper Body Push
R - Rest
F - Meditation, Lower Body
S - Rest
U - Surfing

December 23rd, Monday

Meditation 30 minutes

Jumping Jacks, Run in Place, Arm Circles, Light Stretching of Legs, Lats, Hip Flexors, Light Band Rows and Pulldowns

Chin-Ups (overhand, underhand, fat grip) x 10, 8, 8, 7
Ring Rows x 10, 12, 13, 12
Sahrmann Exercise Level 5 x 15, 15; Level 4 x 15, 10
Seated Reverse Fly Machine 30lbs x 20, 20, 20; 40lbs x 15
BB Curl 50lbs x 20, 18, 15, 12

Light stretching of forearms, biceps, lats

December 25th, Wednesday

Merry Christmas!!

Pleasantly sore in my arms, lower abs, lats and shoulders yesterday.

Couldn't make it to the gym today, so worked out at my family's home with an adjustable dumbbell and my imagination.

Jumping Jacks, Run in Place, Arm Circles, Michael Phelps Chest Clap Thing, Leg Swings S/B/F, Butt Kicks, Calf Raise/Toe Raise

Modified Handstand Push-Ups x 13, 11, 15, 17
Push-Ups x 20, 20, 16, 12
1-Arm Overhead DB Extension 15lbs x 15 reps x 4 sets
Dragon Kicks (an oblique plank exercise) x 12 each side, 12, 10, 10
Lying DB External Rotation 5lbs x 20, 20, 20, 18

Light stretching of chest, shoulders, triceps and obliques

December 27th, Friday

Meditation 30 minutes

Jumping Jacks, Run in Place, Arm Circles, Michael Phelps Chest Clap Thing, Leg Swings S/B/F, Butt Kicks, Calf Raise/Toe Raise, Squat Stretch, Hip Flexor Stretch, Karate Squat either side

BB Squat - Wide Stance 175 x 15, 15, 15, 8
DB Walking Lunge 25's x 15, 30's x 15, 35's x 15, 12
Lying Hamstring Curls 70lbs x 20, 15, 12, 10
DB Calf Raise 15lbs x 20, 20lbs x 20, 25lbs x 20 x 2 sets
Deadlift 115lbs x 15 x 4 sets

Moderate stretching of calves, hip flexors, quads, glutes, groin and hams - 2 stretches for each (except hip flexors)

December 29th, Sunday

Surfing 2.5 hours

Hannamond's and Sewer's on a negative tide, WNW swell.

Well, fuck me. I didn't know these spots broke on a negative tide.

So, here I am - all excited to surf after a week off and having freshly reviewed an hour+ of video footage - and what do I do, but make the same fucking mistakes I usually make. I did by far the best bottom turns (drop down the face of the wave, then turn when you're far from the breaking lip) of my life, but I kept pulling them when doing so made the wave shut down in front of me. I did manage a few waves where I forced myself to look at what the wave was doing before I dropped, and those were great, but what the wave is doing must be my very first focus or I'll be fucking missing the juiciest parts of the wave.

Body felt great: strong and balanced. My legs are sore everywhere, and my chest/shoulders/triceps were sore from that workout on Christmas. Successful week of training.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Week 7

M - Surfing
T - Rest
W - Surfing
R - Upper Body Pull
F - Rest
S - Lower Body, Surfing
U - Upper Body Push, Surfing

December 30th, Monday

Run in Place, Jumping Jacks, Arm Circles, Twists, Ba Gua, Leg Swings S/B/F, Squat, Squat with Foot Out, Hip Flexor Stretch, Toe Raise/Calf Raise, Butt Kicks

I liked the warm-up, the Ba Gua filled a nice gap in getting my shoulders loose (just 8 reps of the basic Tea Cup exercise each arm), but I tried to do some chin-ups and my body doesn't have it today.

Surfed Windansea on a WNW swell at a negative tide for 90 minutes.

I tried hard to read the wave every time before committing to my bottom turn. Sometimes I did this and didn't do a full bottom turn, sometimes I did not look and did a great bottom turn, sometimes I did both (way better!), but......

After 10+ years of surfing, today was the first day where I felt I finally "got" surfing. I've been able to get to my feet, turn and ride waves of decent size - sometimes all the way to shore - for 10 years. I've had days where I caught tons of waves, or did big turns or lots of turns. But, I've never felt like it clicked.

Mind you, I still have a HUGE way to go, but finally I feel like I'm not sort of clueless. Like, I know I'm making mistakes, but that's okay because I can improve on them. Before it felt like the entire ride was sort of a mistake...

Amped, stoked, happy, encouraged.

January 1st, 2014, Wednesday.

Happy New Year!

Surfed for 1.75 hours at Hannamond's on a WNW swell and at a low to negative tide.

Didn't feel as keyed in as I did during my last session - zero super deep bottom turns off the drop, but I had a great time. Some rocks were jutting out of the water and it was very unsafe looking, but the waves were fast and offered plenty of fun sections for turns and to try and race through. Happy to make it in okay though and I think I'll skip this spot on low tides from now on.

A friend of mine fixed my shortest board, including a screwed up fin box. My center fin had been at a weird angle for maybe a year, so it handled odd and I had to compensate for it. I got it back just before this session and the board was electric. Plus it was nice in general to ride a smaller, more responsive board. Sunscreen 3x today.

January 2nd, Thursday

Jumping Jacks, Run in Place, Arm Circles, Ba Gua, Leg Swings S/B/F, Toe Raise/Calf Raise - my rear delts felt a little tight after so I stretched them, maybe throw in those chest open/shoulder claps too

Chin-Ups (overhand, underhand, parallel, parallel wider) x 12, 10, 7, 6
Seated Cable Rows 50lbs x 15 x 3 sets, 55lbs x 15
BB Reverse Curl 50lbs x 15 x 3 sets, 12
Standing Reverse Fly Cables 5's x 20, 20, 18, 14
Decline Leg Raise x 20, 20, 18, 15

15 minutes stretching: fingers, wrists, forearms, lats, quads, hip flexors, biceps

notes: I worked out with someone who can't do chin-ups, so I did the spot their feet assist between sets, probably cost me a rep or two.

January 4th, Saturday

Jumping Jacks, Run in Place, Arm Circles, Twist with Arms Straight Out in Front, Ba Gua, Leg Swings S/B/F, Calf Raise/Toe Raise, Squat Stretch, Hip Flexor Stretch, Karate Squat either side

BB Squat - Wide Stance to 15.5" (about as low as last week, maybe a little lower) 185 x 12, 205 x 10, 225 x 7, 235 x 5
DB Walking Lunge 40's x 10, 8; 35's x 8, 30's x 12
Lying Hamstring Curls 80lbs x 15, 12, 75lbs x 10, 70lbs x 10
Leg Press Calf Raise 45lbs x 20, 55lbs x 20, 65lbs x 20, 75lbs x 20
45 Degree Lower Back Extension +10lbs x 10, 9; BW x 10, 11

15 minutes stretching: calves, hip flexors, quads, glutes, groin and hams

Notes: lunges I did mostly by balancing on one foot when I transferred versus "lunging" forward, much harder. Low back extensions I did by keeping my back flat as opposed to letting it round, this caused me to get a better stretch, work my abs and lift a lot less weight. I tried to emulate the flat back position during my hamstring stretching. Wrists straight during squats.

Surfing 1.5 hours, did more or less my same warm-up I've been doing before hand.

Windansea on a WNW at low tide.

Had a great time, talked to a dad and his funny son when I was out there. I was doing good on my evaluation of the waves before I dropped and picking good rights and lefts, but on my last wave I evaluated, did a big bottom turn and then when I did my first cutback I was so happy that I reverted to my old habit of making it abbreviated and on the second cutback I lacked the speed and lost the wave - it's this constant mix of looking, responding and then remembering technical details while spontaneously reacting.

Overall body felt fantastic, I can tell I'm getting stronger in everyday life from the consistent training and in my surfing too. I was driving the tail deep on my turns and lifting the nose a bit - which is uncommon for me. I had a huge smile when I got out just past a golden sunset - then killed a giant meal with my family with drinks, appetizers, salad, dinner and dessert.

January 5th, Sunday

Run in Place, Jumping Jacks, Arm Circles, Twists, Ba Gua F/B, Leg Swings S/B/F, Squat, Squat with Foot Out, Hip Flexor Stretch, Toe Raise/Calf Raise, Butt Kicks

BB Bench 165 x 8, 175 x 6, 185 x 5 x 2 sets
BB Front Raise 25lbs x 19, 20, 20, 20
Pushdown 65lbs x 12 x 4 sets
Cable Twist with TVA Contraction 30lbs x 15 x 3 sets, 25lbs x 15
Cable External Rotation 15lbs x 20, 20lbs x 15, 10; 15lbs x 16

Stretching 10 minutes: chest, shoulders, obliques, triceps - extra on left side because it's tighter

Note: using a broomstick, I messed around with different gym equipment on my chest to figure out the most comfortable depth - settled on 2 x 10lb plates, deepest I could go with zero strain on my shoulders

Surfing 30 minutes

Windansea at low tide on a WNW

Weird, paddled super slow and my one good wave I didn't complete the only turn I attempted, just kind of slid off. Oh well, happy to get out there.
Last edited by Bram on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:47 am, edited 8 times in total.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:30 pm

The size improvement in your vastus, other than your genetics, do you attribute to all your exercises or does one drill really kill it?
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:42 am

TomFurman wrote:The size improvement in your vastus, other than your genetics, do you attribute to all your exercises or does one drill really kill it?
Tom, I directly attribute it to an exercise I call the VMO step-down, it's a short range pistol with the knee kept behind the toes. Here's a video of one of my clients doing it - I left instructions in the youtube description:

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks. Very interesting.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:11 pm

Bram wrote:
TomFurman wrote:The size improvement in your vastus, other than your genetics, do you attribute to all your exercises or does one drill really kill it?
Tom, I directly attribute it to an exercise I call the VMO step-down, it's a short range pistol with the knee kept behind the toes. Here's a video of one of my clients doing it - I left instructions in the youtube description:

I have done this before and did it a little when I was rehabbing my knee recently. I have had clients in the past do them as well. I have heard them called Peterson Step Down/Ups. Great exercise that I should probably add back in.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks for the video, Mickey.

I've never performed them that way, but I tried a few reps of each variation to compare. That style seems more intense on the VMO, and mine more on the glutes. Intuitively and done at a light resistance, the example you posted looks and feels less safe (knee angle and the feel of the knee), but I'm not sure. For me, it's a "not broke, don't fix it" thing - I will stick with what I've been doing for now as opposed to taking the risk of a potentially less safe movement.

That said, try both if you haven't and let me know what you think if you do.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:46 am

Week 8 - Rest Week

M - Rest
T - Surfing
W - Rest
R - Stabilizer's and Meditation
F - Light Activity
S - Stabilizer's and Meditation
U - Rest

Monday, January 6th

Didn't do any exercise, but was watching a surfing video of Alana Blanchard:

Besides staring at her butt, I noticed she turns her head all the way back so she looks at the wave when doing her cutback's. Something to try and remember, that last wave I surfed I didn't do this (maybe looked towards the bottom of the wave below me) and it's definitely not a habit. Mickey, if you're reading, watch it :happiness:

I'm glad I'm writing the weeks down. Next week should be a rest week, nice to be able to see how long it's been.

Tuesday, January 7th

Surfing 1 hour, 45 minutes

Windansea on a medium tide - WNW swell.

Ahh, felt uncoordinated again today - and slow on my paddling. But I think that is just a short time thing. Caught a good amount of waves, worked on my form (including bottom turns and wrapping to the white water, but not that head whipping around thing), stayed friendly. At the end, I drove my board up the breaking part of the wave, then stalled at the top. I caught one wave where I would have got barreled, had I ducked, instead the lip hit me right in the face. I didn't fall off which was nice, but I just didn't even consider that it was a possibility. There's a bunch of times where the wave is steeper (hard snap), shorter (hard cutback) or in this case pitchier than I expect - just got to keep loose and open-minded.

Thursday, January 9th

Been sore and demotivated all week. My sweet spot is usually 6-8 weeks, then a week off, so right on schedule.

I had made it a goal to not need to do internal rotation stuff on my rest week, but I didn't train it enough, and I have to.

Left Arm Only

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow By Side 30lbs x 20, 35lbs x 20, 40lbs x 20
Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow at Shoulder Height, Abducted 30lbs x 20, 20, 15

Meditation 30 minutes

Friday, January 10th

Went skateboarding a little before sunset, carved around, nice and easy. All my surfing has definitely carried over to my skating, was turning deep, weighting my feet well on either side of the board.

Went out to some bars, danced a bunch, knees unfortunately still not at 100% from that yoga session that messed me up. It felt good to bounce around, like active recovery, but annoys me that the stability is still affected.

Saturday, January 11th

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow By Side 40lbs x 20, 45lbs x 20 x 2 sets
Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow at Shoulder Height, Abducted 30lbs x 20 x 3 sets

Meditation 30 minutes

A tremendous meditation session.

My posture felt great, from my shoulders to my lower back to my neck, everything felt aligned and comfortable.

My mind was actually clear for a large chunk of it, I've gotten so used to it being filled with chatter while meditating, it was great to just sit there and not be pestered AS MUCH.

I went to my favorite spot, a little cliff over the water, for both sessions this week.

Also, for months now I've been following my meditation with 10 minutes of time in nature. I increased this to 15 minutes over the holidays and feel like the extra time has made a good difference. Today I could tell the shift of a seagull's feet as it flew overhead and the leaping water at the front of the crashing waves was much more noticeable - like switching into high-definition.

It was perfect weather, but here's a shot of the same place. My friend took this after joining me for part of it, he wasn't up for 30 minutes, but snapped this photo on his way back to his house.

Was reading an article about an MMA fighter - and thought it could translate to my own training for any sport:

“My first impression of him was he was just a guy who would not give up, no matter what,” AKA head trainer Javier Mendez said. “For instance, he was sparring one of my guys, and Khabib was having a tough time taking the guy down because Khabib was getting beat up in the standup. He kept looking to take the guy down and he wouldn’t quit, and he finally starting taking my fighter down and started dominating. Before you know it, he’s taking my guys down over and over again. He just doesn’t quit, that guy. He is tremendously physically strong, tremendously motivated mentally, and he is talented as hell; and he’s got skills. He’s got incredible skills.”

Related to surfing (could be anything) - 3 categories

Physical - endurance, strength, flexibility, power, no weak links
Mental - technical ability
Spiritual - mind set when out there

My endurance for the most part is solid, I usually go 4 days a week. My strength is decent and well rounded, if I emphasized paddling speed that would be the only big gap I generally have, and often I paddle quickly. My flexibility is a strength, but I could be more disciplined about warm-ups and general flexibility. My power is decent, lately I haven't been doing plyometrics, but plan to resume next week. Weak links are generally just my shoulder stabilizers.

If I can add the plyos and add a little paddling endurance stuff, ensure my stabilizers are trained and develop a comprehensive flexibility program and continue to work on my warm-ups I think I'll be good to go.

My technical ability is still creeping in the right direction - video taping has been huge, I read a lot of surf manuals and watch a lot of videos too. I tend to falter at the initial phase of the wave: somehow I have to evaluate the wave, wait if necessary to drop in, drop in quite well, then spontaneously adjust as the wave changes until the ride commences. Lot of other stuff to do as well too, but that's the biggest.

Mentally - sometimes I'll quit out there, make a bad decision due to mental/physical fatigue, get spooked by the crowds, try to take too many waves, hog the peak and even cut off my friends. Also, I call people into waves, occasionally charge and succeed on late drops, am often friendly and trade boards with strangers.

Stay positive, share the ocean and believe in myself - should be a good philosophy.
Last edited by Bram on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 am

I did it the old way last night, Bram, but will try it your way tonight.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Cool - you should try it out. I was talking about the video of that girl surfing tho :rock:

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:51 pm

Oh yeah, Alana's new vid on Network A! I saved it yesterday to watch later. She's fantastic!

And I was referring to the post about the Petersen step ups. Sorry.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:18 am

Ah cool, yeah Alana's fucking hot....Bramerson step-ups are legit :)

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:23 pm

Week 1

M - Upper Body Pull, Surfing
T - Lower Body, Surfing
W - Upper Body Push
R - Nothing
F - Nothing
S - Surfing 1.5 hours
U - Surfing 3 hours

Tweaked all the workouts I have planned slightly to accomplish goals I listed in my last entry (increased paddle speed, more shoulder stabilization, plyometrics)

Monday, January 13th

Light sets

Windmill - Overhead 35lbs x 10 each side x 4 sets
Seated Hammer Rows 55/55 x 19, 60/60 x 15, 65/65 x 14, 15
Lying Chest Supported Rows [2 blocks + step under low end] 75lbs x 20, 85lbs x 20, 95lbs x 17, 110lbs x 11
Alternating Hammer Curls 27.5's x 15 each, 30's x 12, 35's x 7, 27.5's x 12
Standing Cable Reverse Fly's 20lbs x 20, 30lbs x 11, 25lbs x 20, 20lbs x 20

Stretching 7 minutes: forearms, wrists, biceps, lats, obliques

Note: kept lower back neutral during 2nd rows, usually neglect that - felt better

----

Surfing 45 minutes

Surfed Dunemere on a WNW swell at a negative tide. I've seen this place break occasionally, but it needs a big swell. Surfed okay, first time at this spot.

Tuesday, January 14th

Light Sets

BB Wide Squat 185 x 15, 205 x 10, 225 x 8, 235 x 6
Walking VMO Lunges 35's x 10, 27.5's x 9, 20's x 12, 10
DB Calf Raise 27.5lbs x 20 x 3 sets; Seated Calf Raise 25lbs x 20
Seated Hamstring Curl 100lbs x 20, 120lbs x 16, 14, 14
Deadlift 185 x 10, 205 x 8, 225 x 5; 45 Degree Low Back Extensions +10lbs x 15

Stretching 15 minutes: calves, shins, glutes, groin - bent, straight, hip flexors, hamstrings, quads

note: seated calves make my ankles feel better when I skateboard, subbed in a set of them. I was doing the deadlifts, then decided "fuck it." Less on my arms = more energy to surf.

----

Surfing 1 hour

Windansea, WNW at low/negative tide

On the plus side, I was the best yet with sharing waves, I didn't act selfishly one time.

On the down side, I didn't catch that many.

I will keep up the sharing. Need to figure out how to kick out better or a strategy to get around the peak if my wave shuts down/I end up getting in the firing path of other people. That's a good thing to work on avoiding. Also, my stance is too wide and too far forwards - if I can get that down, that would be huge to fix.

Wednesday, January 15th

Light sets

DB Bench 70's x 12, 10, 75's x 7, 6
DB Standing Shoulder Press 27.5's x 8, 22.5's x 8, 20's x 8, 8
Push-Downs 72.5lbs x 10, 8; 65lbs x 8, 57.5lbs x 11
Cable Internal Rotation 4 sets x 40-45lbs x 20 reps
Cable External Rotation 4 sets x 15-20lbs x 20 reps

Stretching 5 minutes: chest, shoulders, triceps

note: normally I can't press full range from my chest, but it was fine during this workout. I'm weak as shit though overhead, it was very hard to keep my back flat the entire range - and on Thursday, upper back's sore from doing so.

Saturday, January 18th

Surfing 1.5 hours, Little Point on a small south swell.

Fun waves, but I surfed like crap - well, not that bad, but not that great either.

I got to remember that when I just lift, like I've been doing, I get stronger, but slower. Without plyometrics I'm a crap athlete, without strength training I'm a weak one. I was going to do plyo's today, but still feeling a bit sore, so the plan is tomorrow morning.

Sunday, January 19th

Surfing 3 hours, 1130am-230pm at Hannamond's on a WNW at high tide.

Holy shit!

First off, no more surfing in the middle of the day, hence the time note: too many people, sun is too harsh.

Second, I have lost paddle speed quickly and none of my boards feel right when I lift them up (that's how I pick my boards).

I felt slow, clumsy, and out-of-sync-with-the-Ocean.

Did get one good wave, but I fell over on my first turn. The waves were really good, I just couldn't catch them in the right spots.

Weekly Notes:

Change back to full-body workouts. It requires less workouts per week and I can incorporate plyometrics easily. I'm getting too slow and needing to be in the gym too often. I was gonna do plyos Friday, Saturday or Sunday - but felt burned out every time I thought about it. I am bigger and feel strong, but I prefer a little smaller and a lot quicker and more time/energy.

Surf in the morning more and avoid the middle of the day. I have nice skin, but it's not gonna remain that way if I sit out at mid-day. Part of that is related to doing a bunch of gym workouts and trying to surf after I lift.

Spent the last couple weeks on a eat-every-few hours diet, with balanced meals and incorporating any food or drink I wanted (little junk food, but some packaged stuff like protein bars and shakes). I did not pay attention to calories initially, but was losing muscle and gaining fat until I did.

I switched to a vegetable, protein and fat diet - with large meals and no set frequency. And am trying to make sure I eat enough.

Can't really tell any difference in how I feel, but I like eating more vegetables and not eating very often. I could eat vegetable rich meals every few hours, or massive meals with carbs and veggies.

Drink more water, I've been slacking.

No meditation:(

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:37 pm

Week 2

M - Full Body
T - Meditation
W - Meditation, Full Body
R - Nada
F - Full Body, Surf
S - Surf
U - Surf, Run

Monday, January 20th

Warm-Up
Run in Place x 15-20 seconds
and
Jumping Jacks x 10-15
x 3 rounds

Squats x 10-15
and
Mountain Climbers x 10 each side
and
Standing Twists (like a golf swing to either side) x 7 each side
x 2 rounds

Circuit
Explosive TRX Rows x 12-14
Jump Lunges x 12 each
Clap Push-Ups x 12, 10, 9
Roundhouse Kick to Bag (alt. for one set, all one side for rest)
Lying Back Extension x 90 seconds
x 3 rounds

Neck - Yes's x 45 seconds (53)
Neck - No's x 45 seconds (43)

Trigger Points: infraspinatus, hip flexors, spot between 2 heads of gastrocnemius

Stretching 15 minutes: lots of yoga

Note: focused on hollow back during push-ups and back extensions, elbows not passing ribs on rows and push-ups, left hamstring tight and left hip flexor weak - probably related to skateboarding

Tuesday, January 21st

In my frustration over feeling slow and awkward, I neglected that I made a improvement with my surfing technique!

Where I stand on the board is one of my biggest weaknesses, I almost always stand in the middle which means more speed and stability, but less control. To really turn well, I have to have my back foot on the tail.

On Saturday I tried to walk my feet back to the tail, succeeding a few times.

On Sunday, I got an open wave, and right after the drop I wiggled my feet back until I was in position, then started surfing (and promptly fell - my annoyance completely made me overlook the improvement!).

Automatically, I was re-setting my feet until the back foot was over the fins at the back.

This is one of 3 major mistakes I make regularly - bad foot positioning, not watching what's going on with the wave/ocean, and improper bottom turns. I'd been working on the latter 2, super excited to have made an improvement and just as glad I reflected on the good part.

----

Meditation 30 minutes

On the way back from meditating, went right by a man in his 40's or 50's asking a woman to marry him, cool little moment!

-----

My meditation practice has recently been making me aware of my mind-set in general, non-meditative settings.

I have all these random emotional impulses:

Impatience
Desire
Giving Up
Arrogance
Insecurity
Perfectionism
Wanting to prove I'm right
Doing the right thing

among others.

All the mind-sets affect me a little differently.

Like with desire, I get this insane craving for it RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!

I've been trying to be aware of my mind-set and try not to participate in it if I'm operating from a negative one. I guess the goal would be a clear mind.

"When I let go of who I am, I become what I might be." - Lao Tzu

Wednesday, January 22nd

Meditation 30 minutes + 5 minute savasana + 15 minutes of nature (watched bird's flight paths, listened to waves crash and felt the fresh grass with my hands and feet during some light yoga-like positions and poses)

Warm-Up: Run in Place + Jumping Jacks x 3 rounds, Overhead Squats, Mountain Climbers and Rear Leg Swings x 2 rounds

Single-Leg Step-Down 3 blocks + step x 20, 4 blocks + step x 20, 5 blocks + step x 20
Seated Cable Row 50lbs x 15, 55lbs x 15, 60lbs x 15
Push-Up with Hands on (Medicine) Balls x 15, 10, 6
Cable Twist 20lbs x 15 x 3 sets
Glute-Ham Raise x 15 x 3 sets

+ 2 sets TRX Rows - Elbows HIgh

Foam Roll: glutes, lats, quads, chest, groin

Stretching 15 minutes: extra time on left hamstring, felt great after

note: kept hips tucked for push-ups, way harder, and for GHR, back felt very protected.

Friday, January 24th

Foam Roll and Trigger Point: glutes, lats, quads, chest, vmo + infraspinatus

Warm-Up: Jumping Jacks, Run in Place x 3, Squats, Mountain Climbers, Rear Leg Swings x 2

Handstand's x 90 seconds x 3 sets
Jumps for Height - Alternating x 18, 6 - higher ceiling, Both Arms Together x 10
Endless Rope Machine x 45 seconds = 423 feet, 399 feet, 415 feet
Sit-Up with Feet Crossed in the Air + Alternating Leg Raises x 30/30 x 3 sets
Lying Back Extension with Arms Externally Rotated at 45 and 90 Degrees x 90 seconds x 3 sets

+ Band External Rotation to Side x 15, DB External Rotation Standing to Hands Up 5lbs x 15

Stretch 15 minutes - calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes, groin, quads, chest, biceps, lats

note: kept lumbar spine neutral/flat for sit-ups and back extensions, thoracic ROM improved from Monday

Surf 1.5 hours

Saturday, January 25th

Warm-Up: ankle circles, leg swings f/b/s, shoulder circles s/l, rear flyes s

Surf 2.5 hours

Got to work on creating great warm-ups that prepare the body for moving correctly.

Sunday, January 26th

Stability Warm-Up: 1 light set of each, added a few extra sets at end of internal rotation and squats

Wall Slides
Scapular Push-Ups
Internal Rotation - elbow by side
Internal Rotation - elbow elevated
Ankle Raise/Toe Raise
1-Leg Squat
1-Leg Deadlift
Wide Squat

Run 30 minutes + Stretching 5 minutes. Rolled my ankle on my run, fucking hurts! Not that bad though, but more than nothing.

Good reminder to do some ankle mobility in a warm-up.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Week 3

M - Rest
T - Full Body
W - Meditation, Surfing
R - Meditation, Full Body
F - rest
S - Full Body

Tuesday, January 28th

Upright Stationary Bike to Warm-Up (felt good!) + wall slides, scap push-ups, internal rotation 1 and 3, ankle raise, single-leg squat/deadlift/rotation in-out

L-Sit Chin-Ups x 7 x 3 sets
BB Shoulder Press - from Chest 85lbs x 8, 6, 6
Sahrmann Exercises Level 5 x 15, Level 4 x 8, Level 3 x 15
BB Squats Wide (focused on external rotation of femur's) 185lbs x 14, 11, 11
Lying Hamstring Curls 90lbs x 11, 9; 70lbs x 11

+ Glute Side Walk - Grey (burn!!), Glute Bridge with Extension

Stretching 15-20 minutes: full-body

Note: forgot to add foam roll/trigger point stuff. Feel great! Ankle is almost 100%, no issues. Already improved on stability exercises since the first time (increased rom, difficulty and reps).

Wednesday, January 29th

Meditation 30 minutes

Thursday, January 30th

Meditation 30 minutes

Upright Stationary Bike to Warm-Up + wall slides, scap push-ups, internal rotation 1 and 3, ankle raise, single-leg squat/deadlift/rotation in-out

Explosive TRX Rows x 20 x 3 sets
1-Leg Jumps for Height -- 2nd ceiling, PR on Right Side (5 fingers) x 10 each x 3 sets
Clap Push-Ups x 17, 13, 12
Explosive Band Rotations - Black x 15 each x 3 sets (about 30 degrees either direction was the range)
Lying Back Extension x 90 seconds (hands out, down, up) x 3 sets

+ Reverse Fly's 20lbs x 20 reps x 2 sets

Stretching 15 minutes

note: neglected to do any soft-tissue stuff again. Feel good from the stability exercises, that said, I felt like more mobility stuff or something else would have been better in preparation for a workout like I did today (jumping, arm swinging)

Saturday, February 1st

Foam Roll: glutes, lats, chest, quads, hip flexors/TFL

Warm-Up: Wall Slides, Scap Push-Ups, Internal Rotation & External Rotation, Reverse Fly's, VMO, Side Glutes, Glutes, Neck - Front & Back, Anterior Tibialis, TVA x 10-15 of each, light

DB Walking Lunges 35's x 15, 15, 15; 40's x 15
DB Incline Bench 70's x 12, 10, 8; 65 x 11
Cable Twist 20lbs x 15 x 4
Cable Seated Row 50lbs x 17, 55lbs x 14, 12, 12
45 Degree Lower Back Extensions +15lbs x 15, 12, +10lbs x 12, 15

Stretching 20 minutes: full-body

Notes: used an athletic stance on the cable twist, felt okay, mehh. Got a huge lift in my chest during the rows, and my rear delts firing, have to attribute that to the warm-up. Also, it felt good to have done them prior to exercising - the bench for sure I felt my upper back working good.

I feel very good about having all my stabilization exercises in one chunk, at a light resistance and not having to tack them on to the end of a workout.

That said, I'm rather mad at myself for neglecting to do something like this sooner, letting the small muscles get strong and weak in this endless cycle. A couple light reps at the beginning isn't tiring, gets me sweaty and slowly builds some skill.

I resolve to stay humble, it was my arrogance and impatience and close-minded attitude that prevented me from doing this sooner - I very well may have to continue to modify it as well..

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Week 4

M - Rest
T - Full Body
W- Meditation, Surfing
R - Light Stabilizer's
F - Full Body, Meditation
Sa - Surfing
Su - Surfing, Surfing

Tuesday, February 4th

Warm-Up: Running, Jumping Jacks, High Knees, Bouncing, Ba Gua x 3 different types, Jenga (from Capoeira), Push-Ups, Squats, Calf Raises, Windmills

Stretching: stretched the muscles that were targeted in each exercise prior to the exercise and between sets, example Handstand's - wrists, fingers, shoulder, lats, hamstrings

Handstand's x 90 seconds x 3 sets
Tuck Jumps x 12 x 3 sets
Sit-Ups x 30 + Leg Raises x 30 x 3 sets
Explosive Chin-Ups x 7, 6, 5
Explosive Band Hip Extensions - Green Band x 20 x 3 sets

+ Wall Slides, Scap Push-Ups, Internal Rotation 1 and 3, VMO Squats x 2, Side Walking, Glute Bridge with Extension

Notes: used twin foam rubber mats for the handstands, jumps and landing from the chin-ups. Worked great. Body felt great except for the side walking - made my Right knee feel kind of weird. Loved stretching prior to sets and in response to how I felt. Missed foam rolling again.

Got the band hip extensions from this video, at the 0:53 mark:

Wednesday, February 5th

Meditation 30 minutes

Glutes and hamstrings sore, maybe that new exercise did work :) Upper back is just crushed, totally normal for explosive chins

Surfing 90 minutes

Turbo paddle and went for floaters - I never do that, and went for a few, weird

Thursday, February 6th

Warm-Up: Wall Slides, Scap Push-Ups, Reverse Fly's 15lbs, Single-Leg Squats, Slow Roundhouse Kicks, Internal Rotation 1 25lbs, External Rotation 1 15lbs, 1-Leg Glute Bridge, Sahrmann Exercise Level 5, Yes's, No's, Shin Raises 20lbs x 8-15 reps

Was already pretty sore and not enthused, so just did my warm-up and I'm calling it a day.

Friday, February 7th

Warm-Up: Wall Slides, Scap Push-Ups, Reverse Flys 15lbs, VMO Step-Downs 5 blocks, Band Walk with Grey (prevented excess external rotation, no problem), Internal Rotation 1 15lbs, External Rotation 1 15lbs, Glute Bridge with Alt. Leg Extension, Sucking in Abs from Standing, Neck Flexion/Extension 15lbs, Bodyweight Shin Raise]

Stretching: stretched the muscles that were targeted in each exercise prior to the exercise and between sets, example pull-ups - fingers, wrists, lats, biceps, mid-back

BB Shoulder Press 85lbs x 10, 8, 7
Trap-Bar Deadlift 225lbs x 10, 10, 10
Towel Chins x 10, 8, 7
Decline Leg Raises x 20, 20, 15
Glute-Ham Raise x 15, 15, 15

Cool Down: reverse flys at high-low and low-high, internal and external rotation 1 and 3

Note: externally rotated arms during deadlift, felt good. Should mix warm-up exercises if doing 2 days in a row, I felt like I got a lot out of the alternate versions and nothing out of the ones I repeated from yesterday.

Meditation 30 minutes

Spent a good amount of the time the past few days reading a meditation book by Thich Nhat Hahn and some writings by aThai Buddhist monk named Ajahh Chah. Even though their lessons were quite simple, it ended up making my practice more complicated - observe, watch, acknowledge the state, let go, true mind. A lot of things in my head which made it hard to just be there. Eventually I gave up on everything and just sat there, breathing. Which was way better and mentioned to me by Bud Charinga and at least one other person in the meditation thread I started a few days ago.

At the end I had the realization that when I force a thought or emotion out of my head, I don't succeed in eliminating it, I just make myself also controlling.

Saturday, February 8th

Surfing 75 minutes

Sunday, February 9th

Surfing 90 minutes

Surfing 90 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 pm

Week 5

M - Rest
T - Full Body, Extra Stretching
W - Surfing
R - Full Body
F - Meditation
S - Surfing 2x
Su - Surfing

Tuesday, February 11th

Foam Roll: Scapula, Glutes, Hip Flexors, VMO, Vastus Lateralis

Warm-Up: Running in Place, Jumping Jacks, Bouncing, High Knees, Ba Gua x 3 (super fast, especially Right side), Jenga, Ankle Raise/Toe Raise, Wide Squats, Push-Ups (didn't like push-ups)

1-Arm Explosive TRX Rows x 15 each x 3 sets
1-Arm Explosive Medicine Ball Overhead Throws 10lbs x 10 each x 3 sets
Hurdle Jumps (with run up) 36" x 10, 38" x 10, 40" x 10
Explosive Medicine Ball Twisting Throws 6lbs x 10 each x 3 sets
KB Swings 16KG x 20, 20; 20KG x 20

Cool-Down: Band reverse flys, single-leg step-downs (3 and 4 blocks), internal rotation 1 and 3, external rotation 1 and 3 (12lbs), seated adduction (4th)

Stretching 5 minutes or so throughout the workout, 15 minutes at the end

Note: was told by the physical therapist to "not hear my feet" during the landing of my plyo's, good tip. Used two foam rubber mats next to each other to brace my impact, worked well.

Later in the day, a powerlifter in his 70's came in to the gym and walked me through a whole bunch of form things on squatting, deadlifting, and bench pressing. I wrote down everything he said, around 30 notes. Made a big difference on each lift. He was considering going for the Worlds in Moscow - bench max just over 300, and not a big man, just looked tough like a Marine.

Took a stretching and myofascial release class for 45 minutes after that (lacrosse glute/hamstring insertions, vmo) - we did a nice stretch where you lay down, flatten your lower back and put your feet on the wall in a squat stance, opening the legs out wider to increase the stretch. Also did a lat stretch with an underhand grip, not much on the right side, but tight on left.

Wednesday, February 12th

Sore! Traps, glutes, low back, quads, hamstrings, lats, upper back, triceps.

From just two very light workouts with my adductors (I did 3 sets of a Joe Defranco exercise I found over the weekend and the set of seated adduction), I can already tell a difference.

Surfing 75 minutes

Thursday, February 13th

Foam Roll: Scapula, Glutes, Hip Flexors, VMO, Vastus Lateralis
Warm Up: Wall Slides, Scap Push-Ups, Reverse Fly's 20lbs, Internal Rotation 1 30lbs, 3 Band, External Rotation 1 20lbs, 3 12lbs, Glute Bridge with Extension, Band Side Walk, Lying Adduction, Neck - Yes's and No's, Sahrmann Level 5, VMO Step-Down [3 blocks]

Chin-Ups x 12, 10, 8
Walking Lunges 35's x 10 each, 40's x 10 each x 2 sets
BB Bench 175 x 4, 165 x 4, 155 x 4 (used a powerlifting style, arched back, elbows tight, bar to the chest)
Dip Bar Leg Raises x 15, 12, 12
45 Degree Low Back Extensions +25lbs x 12, 10, 10

Stretching 15 minutes

Friday, February 14th - Happy Valentine's Day! :heart:

Meditation 30 minutes

A very curious time today. I was aware of a few of my most usual distractions: possibly constructive thinking (a weird feeling of a ball in my chest, but a narrow awareness) and fantasy conversations. When I found myself getting pulled into one or the other, I would notice it, normally I follow these quite a bit.

When I ended I was aware of another distraction I deal with: a brief moment of anxiety when I occasionally see or part ways with someone at the moment of leaving or seeing them. Strange.

Saturday, February 15th

Surfing 2 hours
Surfing 1.5 hours

Sunday, February 16th

Surfing 3 hours

Note: Instead of having the hamstring curls as part of one of the workouts for my full-body days I'm going to leave them as an accessory exercise. It's the only non-compound exercise in my mix of 10 exercises and while I think they are an important exercise for knee health, I'm going to relegate them to something to do on top of a hip extension movement.

Onwards and upwards!
Last edited by Bram on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:17 am

Cool pic a local photographer, Fred Olmsted, took of me.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:56 pm

Bram.

This is an incredible log.

Tons of wisdom is here.

Thank you for posting and keep up the great work!

Soup
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:25 pm

Thank you very much, Soupbone!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:19 am

Week 6

M - Meditation
T - Full Body, Surfing
W - Surfing
R - Surfing, Meditation
F - Run
S - Rest
Su - Full Body, Surfing

Monday, February 17th

Meditation 30 minutes

Tuesday, February 18th

Accessory Exercise: Standing Cable Row to Chest with Elbows Elevated 50lbs x 20, 57.5lbs x 20

Circuit
Chin-Ups x 13, 11, 10
DB Walking Lunges 45's x 15 each, 50's x 15 each, 45's x 15 each
DB Bench Press 70's x 15, 13, 12
Sit-Up with Bent/Straight Raise x 30 x 3 sets
1-Leg Deadlift 35's x 10 each, 40's x 10 each x 2 sets

Cool Down: Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 30lbs, External Rotation - Elbow by Side 20lbs, Cable Reverse Fly 20lbs, Scap Push-Ups, Wall Slides, Single-Leg VMO Squats at 5 blocks, Band Side Walk, Neck Yes's and No's, Glute Bridge with Leg Extension, Sahrmann Exercise Level 5, Side-Lying Single-Leg Adduction

Surfing 90 minutes

Today I felt my body did not fail me, though my arms were a bit tired, but my mind did. I had a horrible attitude a lot of the time. I was thinking negative thoughts about other people and convinced myself to sit away from where the waves were breaking because of some weird arrogance about some spot I picked to sit at. At one point I refused to back down on a wave that someone else may have been able to catch, but I just slotted myself inside and took it.

Wednesday, February 19th

Surfing 1 hour

I had a very bad feeling about the spot I went today, like I was gonna have a bad attitude and get in people's way.

I paddled out determined to wait my turn, get out of line if I paddled and fell or missed a wave and make sure I paddled wide of everyone on my way out so as not to interfere with their rides.

Then as the session progressed, I started doing the negative thinking about others I went through yesterday. Every time that happened I tried to think of a couple positives about that person, at least one thing. Then I started getting arrogant about myself, and I tried to think of a few humbling things every time that happened.

I got out of the water literally shocked. I had a very good experience, and I was convinced it wasn't going to be that way. I'm sure if I would have done my normal thing - follow my negative thoughts, I wouldn't have. But I was able to maintain a positive outlook throughout my session.

Thursday, February 20th

Surfing 1 hour 20 minutes

In the water before sunrise.

The timing on my bottom turn and getting my back foot over the tail, when the board is up to speed, are good things to continue to work on improving. Fun session!

Meditation 30 minutes

Observe, Acknowledge, Let Go - when that doesn't work, forgiveness :)

I noticed that my thoughts were both critical and productive today.

I've got some impediment where I want things to work like clockwork. With the assumption that if it did happen then everything would be perfect - it happened today during surfing, a guy kind of paddled around me to catch a wave, something I've done a bunch of times I'm sure, but I got hung up on it.

So, this silly perfectionism is something to be aware of in my day to day. Haha....and my massive sense of impatience.

The productive thought was about surfing and trying to make my entrance into my bottom turn fluid, to maintain speed. I really think about fluidity only on coming back from my cutback's, but it could be applied to all my surfing.

Friday, February 21st

Run 30 minutes

Stretching 15 minutes

Stretched on the beach, this picture is one I took right after I finished my last stretch:

Sunday, February 23rd

Trigger Points: Quadratus, Serratus, Infraspinatus, Hip Flexor (Illiacus?), VMO, Vastus Lateralis

Warm-Up: Run in Place + Jumping Jacks x 3 rounds, Overhead Squats + Spider-Man Walk + Crescent Kicks x 2 rounds

Main Workout
Overhead Press 95lbs x 7, 6, 6
Seated Cable Row 60lbs x 15, 70 x 12 (best in a long time!), 10
Olympic Squats 115lbs x 10, 10, 135 x 6
Cable Twist 25lbs x 15 each side x 2 sets, 30lbs x 15
Lying Hamstring Curl 85lbs x 15, 95lbs x 12, 10
45 Degree Lower Back Extension +25lbs x 15, 15; 45lbs x 9

Stabilizers (1 set of 10-15 reps each): Cable Reverse Fly's 20lbs, Internal Rotation - Elbow Up and Out 25lbs, External Rotation - Elbows Up and Out 15lbs, Wall Slides, Single-Leg Squats, Scapular Protraction Push-Ups, Slow Side Kicks, Neck - Yes and No's, Sahrmann Level 5, Glute Bridge in a Figure 4, Side Lying Adduction

Stretching 15 minutes

Notes
* Great workout!
* I should have done some stretching after the warm-up to prepare for the workout, around 5-10 minutes worth. Felt a little tight on the overhead press.
* Been trying to figure out what footwork I prefer for the cable twist. After I finished my sets I googled and found this video, feels a little better and I'll use it for my next workout. If anyone has a preferred way, please share!:

Surfing 90 minutes

Concentrated on watching the wave and keeping my foot on the tail - huge difference!

Still struggling with mental stuff - my attitude, my mind-set, my ego. I'd really like to make some huge changes in this area, and I know this can carry over to all aspects of my life.

Played a game of chess earlier, and going into it, I said "no matter what, I'm not giving up." Even though I was losing pretty badly, I kept that attitude, pulled off a draw and also, I never once felt bad.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Week 7

M - Rest
T - Rest
W - Full Body
R - Rest
F - Full Body, Cardio
S - Meditation
SU - Surfing

Wednesday, February 26th

Foam Roll - Adductors, Abductors, Hip Flexors, Glutes, Lats, ChestWarm-Up: Running in Place, Bouncing, Running in Place, High Knees, Standing Twist, Ba Gua Tea Exercises x 3, Jenga (from Capoeira), Leg Swings Forwards/Side/Back

Standing Cable Row with Elbow Up 57.5lbs x 20, 65lbs x 20, 72.5lbs x 20
Explosive Pull-Ups x 6, 5, 5 (got two reps of clapping on sets 2 and 3, first ever!!)
Medicine Ball Explosive Chest Slams 10lbs x 20 x 3 sets
1-Leg Jump from Box [2 blocks + step] x 10 each x 3 sets
Explosive Sit-Up with Knee Tuck x 20 x 3 sets (had to reduce ROM to keep lumbar spine neutral)
KB Swings 44lbs x 20, 20; 52.8lbs x 15

Stabilizers: Band Side Walk, Glute Bridge with Extension, Sahrmann Level 5, Reverse Shrug on Dip Bar, 1-Arm Scap Push-Up, DB Calf Raise 15lbs, Seated Calf Raise 25lbs, Seated Adduction 50lbs, Lying Adduction, Reverse Cable Fly 20lbs, Cable Neck Extension 15lbs, Cable Neck Flexion 15lbs

Stretching 15 minutes

Thursday, February 27th

Had fun with a gym member who used to box - gave me some tips on fighting.

Stay fully on back toes, if the heel drops a little it massively reduces your reaction time.

Front foot pointed forwards, to maintain balance if someone rushes you.

Keep body sideways to reduce target area.

Friday, February 28th

Foam Roll - Quads, Calves, Hamstrings, Shins, Upper Back (along spine), Upper Back (cross spine - felt better to do it cross-ways)

Warm-Up - Running in Place, Bouncing, High Knees, Standing Twist, Ba Gua 1-Arm Inside, Ba Gua 1-Arm Outside, Jenga, Ba Gua 2-Arm Out Together, Ba Gua 2-Arm In Together, Leg Swings Forward/Side/Backward

Clapping Bodyweight Rows on Smith Machine x 15, 13, 13
1-Leg Jump from Box [2 blocks + step] x 10 each side x 3 sets
Clapping Modified Handstand Push-Ups x 7, 11, 11 (knees on bench, 6 blocks + step)
Explosive Bodyweight Hamstring Curls on Ab Slide x 15, 8, 9
Cartwheel's x 8 each side x 3 sets
Lying Back Extension x 4.5 minutes (tucked hips, extended thoracic spine, glute destroyer)

Stabilizer's - TKE with Band on 1-Foot, Internal Rotation Cable - Elbow at Side 35lbs, External Rotation Cable - Elbow at Side 20lbs, Internal Rotation Cable - Elbow at Shoulder Height, Adducted 25lbs, External Rotation DB - Elbow at Shoulder Height, Adducted 5lbs, Wrist Extension 30lbs, Shin Raises 25lbs, Reverse Fly 25lbs, Glute Bridge with Extension, Sahrmann Exercise Level 5, Band Side Walk - Grey, Leg Extension 35lbs (cutting this and replacing it with the TKE's)

20 minutes stretching

20 Minutes Stair Master + 15 minutes stretching

Saturday, March 1st

Meditation 30 minutes

Sunday, March 2nd

Surfing 4.75 hours PR!

Need to work on where and how I pick line-up locations. I was consistently a little off, either someone was in a slightly better position or I was just slightly off the peak - not the whole time, but often enough to be noticeable.