¡¡¡IN BATTLE THERE IS NO LAW!!!

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Re: ¡¡¡IN BATTLE THERE IS NO LAW!!!

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:48 am

GAWDDDAMN I love reading your training log.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:24 am

Ed Zachary wrote:GAWDDDAMN I love reading your training log.
Thanks EZ. When you read my log, imagine me this way:

"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:04 am

2014.03.27PM; I needed a break from the pressing and squatting that I've been doing, so I did this Lalanne program. It's really just lots of reps of simple dumbbell bodybuilding, but done with little or no break between sets. The weights are consequently...inconsequential, but the systemic effect is nice.

1. Goblet Squats 4 x 12
2. Lunges 3 x 15/15
3. Calf Raises 3 x 20
4. DB Upright Rows 3 x 15
5. DB Seated Reverse Lateral Raises 3 x 12
6. Seated DB Press 4 x 10
7. DB Flyes 3 x 12
8. DB Bent Row 3 x 12
9. One Arm DB Row 3 x 10
10. Abdominal Raise x 10
11. Leg Tucks x 10
12. DB Triceps Kickbacks 3 x 12
13. Standing DB Triceps Extensions 3 x 10
14. DB Hammer Curls 3 x 10
15. Seated Alternating DB Curls 3 x 8

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:46 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Thanks EZ. When you read my log, imagine me this way:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ywjpbThDpE">YouTube Link</a>
LOL

That makes it even better.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:22 pm

2014.03.28PM; Jiu-Jitsu...came to teach the regular Friday self defense class but no takers. We never have a huge crowd, but this is a rarity.

I actually didn't mind as I had to give a huge presentation to a government board this morning and wanted to blow off steam not teach. So, I made the most of it. I set the boxing timer and did two minutes on, one minute off for round after round on the heavy bag. For the first eight rounds I would work a combination of kicks, punches, elbows, and knees; for the final two rounds I just went all out aggression and power.

Sadly, on the very last kick of the workout I misjudged the distance and kind of tweaked my right knee so I will have to be more careful in the future. I don't think it is anything serious, so a little rest and inshallah everything will be fine. I do like working the strikes though; I would kill to have someone to hold the pads for me but right now the heavy bag a couple of times a week is as good as I can get. I will get some Thai pads and belly pad when my son gets a little older though.

Aloha!
Last edited by Fat Cat on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 pm

2014.03.29AM; Jiu-Jitsu...Saturday morning Jiu-Jitsu with the kids. Their tournament is Sunday, so the day before we just had them do light drilling of escapes and positional drills, then some games. Nothing strenuous, no heavy sparring, no new techniques, etc. just keeping the engine warm.

After class I grabbed one of the adults that was filtering in for the next class. He was a pretty big hapa haole blue belt; relatively new to our academy and I had not had a chance to roll with him before. He was actually was just fine, but I made things hard for him. My focus was on getting that perfect "listening energy" where I am (ideally) perfectly tuned, keeping pressure off the opponent but very sensitive to their movements so that you can immediately capitalize on them. Too much pressure and people shut down in a defensive position; this way you give them just enough rope to hang themselves. I know I finished him a few times from the back, a few times from side control, and a very tight arm bar from guard as we had practiced that technique all week.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:32 pm

2014.03.30AM; did this Lalanne-type workout and then spent the afternoon in my little kitchen garden, tending to my tomatoes and herbs and doing some pullups from the rings under the mango tree.

For this workout, I started with no rest between sets, then 15 seconds, by the end I need a minute between sets. Total time was about 55 minutes.

1. Goblet Squats 4 x 12
2. Lunges 3 x 15/15
3. Calf Raises 3 x 20
6. Seated DB Press 4 x 10
7. DB Flyes 3 x 12
8. DB Bent Row 3 x 12
9. One Arm DB Row 3 x 12
10. Abdominal Raise x 11
11. Leg Tucks x 11
12. DB Triceps Kickbacks 3 x 12
13. Standing DB Triceps Extensions 3 x 10

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:21 pm

2014.03.31PM; Jiu-Jitsu...taught a private lesson to a four-stripe brown belt who wants to test with GM Relson next week. I ran him through a mock test, only stopping to review moves that he was less than automatic in executing.

After the private I had to teach the main class of the night as Professor Kayle caught something over the weekend. I had them do the regular warm up drills, then half an hour of guard passing drills, then half an hour of an osoto-gari and hiza-guruma combination. Started with a classic osoto-gari, then a hopping version when he keeps his opposite leg back out of range, then a version when he crouches low in a defensive position, then finally the hiza-guruma if all you can get out of the osoto-gari is some responsive body movement by the opponent.

Finished up with 6 minute rounds and called it a night.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:35 pm

2014.04.02PM; Jiu-Jitsu...taught another private class to a guy who was going to test with the grand master on Thursday for his black belt. I just threw random attacks at him and expected him to show correct responses, with only one real exception he did great and I think that he will be awarded his belt if he doesn't get all nervous and uptight.

After that we rolled for a bit, me just playing open guard and sweeping to top. I didn't push the issue much when I was on top, I would go for stupid rolling attacks or whatever so that he could get out from under me. I didn't want to do anything to damage his confidence or risk even a minor injury, so it was all done with a light touch.

Finally, I did an hour of drills, guard passing and transitions from closed to open guard.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:47 pm

2014.04.03PM; I promised to help my son with his boxcar derby. He's a little cub scout and the races are this weekend, so we had some sawing, sanding, painting, etc. to get accomplished, thus no Jiu-Jitsu. That said, when we had done what we set out to, I did this Lalanne-type workout. I started with no rest between sets, then 15 seconds, but never more than 30 seconds.

1. Goblet Squats 4 x 12
2. Lunges 3 x 15/15
3. Calf Raises 3 x 20
6. DB Bench Press 4 x 10
7. DB Flyes 3 x 12
8. DB Bent Row 3 x 12
9. One Arm DB Row 3 x 12
10. Abdominal Raise x 12
11. Leg Tucks x 12
12. DB Triceps Kickbacks 3 x 15
13. Standing DB Triceps Extensions 3 x 15

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:22 pm

2014.04.04PM; Jiu-Jitsu...taught the Friday self defense program. The day was devoted to headlock escapes on the ground, of which there are four, if you don't include the two head and arm escapes. Nobody was up for sparring afterward, so it was an early night for me.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:29 pm

2014.04.05AM; my son had his little cub scouts meeting, they had the boxcar derby races that we had been preparing for all week. I can't say the car we built was very good, but it wasn't the worst either. I realized that the other people had weighted their car, which I thought was cheating. We checked the rules and there is an upper limit, so next time we will be ready. :) Anyway, because of that, no kids Jiu-Jitsu.

I did this routine later in the day. The first sets are done with no break, then 15 seconds, and probably 45 seconds at the end. Since the

1. Goblet Squats 4 x 12
2. Lunges 3 x 20/20
3. Calf Raises 3 x 20
6. DB Bench Press 4 x 10
7. DB Flyes 3 x 12
8. DB Bent Row 3 x 12
9. One Arm DB Row 3 x 12
10. Abdominal Raise x 13
11. Leg Tucks x 13
12. DB Triceps Kickbacks 3 x 15
13. Standing DB Triceps Extensions 3 x 15

The function of this routine is hard to see but easy to feel. It takes me about 55 minutes, which is 3300 seconds. There are 627 reps, which I calculate to be one rep every 5 seconds for nearly an hour straight, non-stop.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:34 pm

2014.04.06PM; Jiu-Jitsu...Sunday seminar with the Grand Master. It was a seminar for advanced ranks only (purple, brown and black belts) going through about half of the unarmed self defense techniques; I was uke. It was a good time for several reasons: we've all known each other for years, everyone was a in a good mood, and I saw that there were few (if any) areas where I wasn't spot on in my teaching. Anyway, three hours of quality Jiu-Jitsu from the source.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:02 pm

2014.04.07PM; Jiu-Jitsu...Started out rolling with a big Swedish blue belt; he was very physically powerful but pretty clueless to the subtleties of the art. I wasn’t very charitable in the way that I played as my master was sitting watching us and he tried to muscle me around a bit. I’ve grown up to be a pretty big guy but I started out as a little brother and I don’t like being pushed around, so I took him down and handed it to him, over and over.

After a half an hour of sparring it was time for a 2 hour Relson Gracie seminar; tonight’s material was defense and attacks from the back. Defense consisted of the back escape, triangle back mount escape, and countering crossed ankles. As yesterday, I was Relson’s uke and it all hurt like a bitch. That old bastard can really wring a neck and lock a knee. Back attacks consisted of bow and arrow choke and then several evolutions of the choke depending on how he counters.

Three hour session ended with promotions for our Relson Gracie Waterfront Jiu-Jitsu Academy, including my brown belt student who got promoted to black belt.

Aloha!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Congrats to all promoted.
I can't imagine what is has been like learning from that man!
What an honor. The man is a legend.
The fact that you were his uke is pretty legit as well, even though it probably really hurt.
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:13 pm

Oh you know, I just put it down here to give a picture of things. In all reality, uke is the worst place to be because you can't see what's going on (back attacks) and it hurts. But at the end of the day, it was fun.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:06 pm

2014.04.08PM; super stressful day at work...antidote: double axe vs. sword and buckler vs. longsword in the back yard for one hour with my son. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:02 pm

2014.04.09PM; Jiu-Jitsu...rolled with a purple belt, did an hour of drills: half was self defense the second half was passing lockdown. Did 6 minute rounds to finish up the night.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:08 pm

2014.04.10PM; my wife went to a play so my son and I stayed home and partied. We ordered pizza, had sword battles in the back yard, and then when it was dark we watched Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, ate ice cream, and discussed the finer points of the Sith.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:09 pm

2014.04.11PM; Jiu-Jitsu...taught the Friday self defense course. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:15 pm

2014.04.12AM & PM; Jiu-Jitsu...Saturday morning jiu-jitsu with the kids for an hour and a half, running various drills and a clinic on the collar choke from guard. Afterward the adults were assembling so I grabbed an athletic blue belt and roughed him up for about 15 or 20 minutes.

Later in the day I wanted to lift, but I did not have a high repetition Lalanne-style workout in me, so I did the following:

1. Box Squat 5 x 5 (135, 185, 225 x 3)
2. Ring Chins 5 x 2
3. Dumbbell Bench Press (30s, 40s, 50s x 3)
4. Alt. Dumbbell Curl 3 x 10 (30s)
5. Bench Knee Tucks 1 x 20
6. Barbell Calf Raises 3 x 20 (135 x 3)

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:38 am

Billy Robinson Tribute from UWFi Gym in Tokyo, Japan.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:55 am

Awesome!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:26 pm

2014.04.13PM; 6 mile hike on what turned out to be a pretty cold and rainy (by our mild standards) day. Probably not wise as I am now fighting a cold. Aloha!