Luke's was OALC log now mostly Trap Bar stuff

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Luke's was OALC log now mostly Trap Bar stuff

Post by aussie luke » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:21 pm

G'day etc

I'm cross-posting my training log from the Dave Draper forum here in the hope that some of you might have a look and post some of your knowledges, rather than me fucking up the training forum with inane GS shit.

Quick BG:

Male 33, 5'11, 80kg

Been training almost exclusively with KBs doing HS and DJ inspired stuff for the last few years.

Have a 9 month old boy and work (including traveling) 11-12 hours a day so don't have much training time. I had my KBs at work and trained at lunchtime in the basement garage for the last few months but the weather here in Aus is too hot at the moment so training around 9-10pm at home for now.

Started messing around with doing just one arm jerks with a 32kg and it felt like I could get by and make some progress doing just that for a while and was thinking about working towards Strongsport numbers, but started feeling beat up and thought I'd better master the 24kg first.

Have messed with Sonnons oalc progression before halfheartedly, but am now giving it a decent go.

Only thing I'm not doing is 5 rep hand switches - it completely fucks with my head trying to do 5 rep switches while following 8 or 9 rpm and counting total reps etc. So I'm switching hands every minute instead. Makes sense to me and removes the step of changing from 5 rep to 10 rep switches in Sonnon's plan.

Here's my log from the last few weeks...

Please feel free to chime in with any knowledge or insults etc. Cheers.
Last edited by aussie luke on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Re: Luke's beginning GS with OALC log

Post by aussie luke » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Tuesday

24kg one arm long cycle, 6 mins, 6.6 rpm, 40 reps.
24kg one arm jerk, 4 mins, 10 rpm, 40 reps
Chinups 5-4-3-2-1

Wednesday

Y rows, stretching on rings, batwings
Goblet squats 2 x 5
Swings 2 x 10/10
24kg one arm long cycle 6 mins, 8 rpm, 45 reps. 5 reps hand switches.

Very hard to keep track of reps this way.

Thursday

Various ring rows Y's T's I's and opposite stretches
Few swings and snatches
24kg one arm long cycle 6 mins, 8 rpm, 8 rep hand switches. 48 reps.
Much easier to count this way and hopefully simplify progression.

Friday

3 x 5 goblet squats
24kg one arm long cycle, 7 mins, 8 rpm, 8 rep hand switches (4/4 on last minute). 56 reps.
32kg hs swings 5 x 10 with 10 slow, deep nose breaths between sets.

Sunday

Some swings and goblet squats, then
2x5 front squats 135#
24kg one arm jerk 33L/33R non stop in about 6:30 mins. Brutal.

Monday
2x5 goblet squats, some prying. Stretching on rings.
2x5 front squat 135#
24kg one arm long cycle, 8 mins, 8 rpm 8 rep hand switches.

Tuesday
Late one.
Very quick warmup then
24kg one arm long cycle 9 mins, 8 rpm, 8 rep hand switches. (4/4 on last minute)

Wednesday
Double 24kg KB thruster/long press 3 x 5
24kg one arm long cycle 10 mins, 8 rpm, 8 rep hand switches. 80 reps.
Chins 5-4-3-2-2

Wrists feel pretty beat up. Even with my VF kettleshields.

Thursday
3x3 goblet squats, few stretches
24kg OALC 6 mins @ 9 rpm
Pullups 3x3

Saturday

Double 24kg long press/thruster 3x5
24kg OALC 7 mins, 9 rpm (last min 4/5)

Need to stop doing all the other stuff and just do a quick wu then the timed set. Started the set feeling weak and shaky after the thrusters. Too much.

Sunday

OALC 24kg 8 min 9 rpm

Monday

OALC 24kg 9 min 9 rpm
Chins 5-4-3-3-2

Thursday (Boxing day)

OALC 24kg 8 mins 9 rpm

Friday

wu of 4, 4, 5, 5 long cycle, 2x 5/5 snatch (nice and smooth felt very easy)
OALC 24kg 10 mins 9 rpm ...90 reps

Sunday am

Some swings and snatches to warm up
OALC 24kg 6 mins 10 rpm
Farmers with 24s

Monday pm late

32kg jerks 1 x 5/5
24kg OALC 7 mins 10 rpm (only just made it)

Wednesday

OALC 24kg 8 mins 10 rpm

Thursday

OALC 24kg 9 mins 10 rpm

Only just made it. Started off well with seconds to spare each minute, but got harder and harder.

Think it is going to be very hard to keep up these long sets at a faster and faster pace. Wonder if I need to replace one or two workouts each week with just a practice session ...set timer for 15-20 mins and just practice long cycle without counting reps or time, just working on skill.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:22 pm

So that's where I am now.

Am pretty sure if I hadn't eaten a shitload of complete crap over Christmas (and still am as I'm still on holidays) that I'd have shed some fat by now. Pretty sure I've put a bit of meat on my shoulders and upper arms.

Should also mention a couple of other things...

I don't do anything else, no sports, no other training. When I'm back at work next week I'll be doing two very fast 10 minute walks a day from and to the train station.

Goal is really to keep training without interfering with family life and to be strong enough to play with my boy every day for the next 18 years or so and to be able to carry him around etc. He's already 11kg at 9 months. If it wasn't for all the kb work I'd have struggled these last 9 months. Holding a 10kg kid for an hour at 3am is not that easy.

I'd like to, if there even is one, take part in a GS comp at some point this year. Not much GS happening here in Australia that I can see. Not in backwards Western Australia anyway. But there must be something.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:55 pm

nice training. GS events seem thin on the ground outside the US & Eastern Europe. We had a couple in the UK last year but it doesn't seem to be as big as other strength sports, (which are also not very big - apart from maybe strongman). As such, I've never successfully maintained my interest in GS.

That said, if you wanted to use GS as a baseline for the goals you mention above, you could do worse than read Mickey O-Neil's log on here. He has competed in GS but seems to do quite a good variety of other complementary activies too.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:37 am

Cheers mate. Yeah I lived in England until three years ago. There was a lot of strongman stuff going on.

Nearly entered an amateur comp but just wasn't strong enough. Used to train in the same gym as Big Loz (Laurence Shalelei).

Here in Aus I've only ever trained by myself so have zero contacts in any training scenes ...if there even are any. A guy bought an old kb off me a while back and said he's trying to start a GS club. I'll have to try and get in touch with him.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:38 am

If If anyone reads this, can you suggest whether I should stick to just one arm long cycle for now, or is it worth including some jerk sets, snatches or doubles work?

I've noticed snatches with the 24 are getting much easier without actually training it at all.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:54 am

I'm not a GS guy, but it seems to me that OALC isn't contested by men, and so if you're serious you need to look at the competition lifts.
In addition to Odin's suggestion to look at Mickey's log, check the following guys: Dunn, Nightman, DavidC, and Ed Zachary's last few pages.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:34 am

yeah do you have double 24's? Or double 16's? When I have dabbled with GS type stuff in the past I found double jerks were a pretty humiliating experience for my perceived strength levels. If competition is a goal, slow build up with the comp lifts and maintaining your condition with non-GS accessory work may be a plan. The technique of double jerks is tougher than the one arm variant ime.

I dunno if it's considered old-hat now, but I have a copy of a GS-fitness program kicking about somewhere as a word doc. It's not ground-breaking but is a progressive build up of time in the lifts. Will dig it out if interested.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:57 am

Ah the one bit of info I forgot to mention...

The plan is to use the one arm work as a way to develop some capacity for timed sets and build some technique before moving onto doubles.

I have two 24s and a 32kg ...all wrongstyle (two DDs and one Australian shitty 24kg)

I've done double long cycle before but in a hardstylee way - ie sets and reps, no pacing.

Tried double jerks a few weeks ago and nearly died after a few two-minute sets. That was before all this OALC.

If I start putting up reasonable numbers I would like to get a pair of 24 comp bells.

I also have a barbell and about 280# of plates but I keep it packed away in the shed. If I have too many options handy I lose focus.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:59 am

I realise starting with a pair of 16s would be ideal. I have owned a pair of 16s before but sold them on. Too much time messing with them and ignoring heavier work made me weak (er)

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:50 pm

the comp bells make a huge difference. I no longer have access to them so use wrongstyle training. The handle on my 24 is fecking huge - way too thick for timed sets.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:04 pm

Saturday

OALC 24kg 10 mins 10 rpm

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:07 pm

odin wrote:the comp bells make a huge difference. I no longer have access to them so use wrongstyle training. The handle on my 24 is fecking huge - way too thick for timed sets.
Yeah I'm using a dragondoor 24kg. Handle is thicker than a comp bell but not too bad - my other 24 has a ridiculous handle.

My grip has improved rapidly though and even though my hands are soaked by halfway through the set, I don't have any trouble holding on to it. Breathing and not smashing my skull are the main focus.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:17 pm

If you've got questions post on the training forum. You'll take beating but you'll get some damned good answers.

I just did my first cattleball comp mid December after about 10 weeks of prep. Trained with Ader double 16s then I duck taped a 5# plate to each bell and that's what I used up until the comp. I competed with the 20k bells. So I guess what I'm saying is if you are going to compete with 2 bells then you need to train with 2 bells.

But if all you've got is one then take Odin up on the fitness protocol.

Good luck.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:30 am

The AKC Fitness Program isn't bad at all.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:09 am

odin wrote:yeah do you have double 24's? Or double 16's? When I have dabbled with GS type stuff in the past I found double jerks were a pretty humiliating experience for my perceived strength levels. If competition is a goal, slow build up with the comp lifts and maintaining your condition with non-GS accessory work may be a plan. The technique of double jerks is tougher than the one arm variant ime.

I dunno if it's considered old-hat now, but I have a copy of a GS-fitness program kicking about somewhere as a word doc. It's not ground-breaking but is a progressive build up of time in the lifts. Will dig it out if interested.

Yeah if that's the AKC protocol that'd be awesome please. Cheers

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:36 pm

Monday

OALC 24kg 12 mins 8 rpm

Chins 6-5-4-3-2

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Tuesday

OALC 24kg 14 mins 8 rpm

Tried chalk again but just ended up a sludgy mess. Good for first 6-7 mins.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:01 am

Wednesday

Lunchtime run/jog: 1.66km 10:22 mins

Thought I'd chuck a run in as can't train this evening and wanted to get out in the sun and fresh air as it wasn't too hot today.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:20 am

aussie luke wrote:... whether I should stick to just one arm long cycle for now, or is it worth including some jerk sets, snatches or doubles work?...
You still don't know what you like more, so do everything :)
Say, day Jerk and cleans, day LC, day snatch.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:27 am

Wild Bill wrote:You still don't know what you like more, so do everything :)
Say, day Jerk and cleans, day LC, day snatch.

You are correct! Though one thing I know is I hate doing just cleans.

Enjoy LC, jerks and OAJ - don't mind snatches but not very good at them. Hate cleans.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Thursday

LC 2*24kg 5 rpm 3 mins (hard)

LC 2*24kg 5 rpm 2 mins (was going for 3 min)

LC 2*24kg 5 rpm 1 min (just for a little extra practice/volume)

OAJ 32kg 8 rpm 3 min (12/12)

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:15 pm

Friday

LC 2*24kg 5 rpm 3 mins

LC 2*24kg 5 rpm 3 mins

Farmers x 3

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm

Sunday am

Chins 3, 7, 2, 6, 4, 5 (27)

Sunday pm

LC 2*24kg 6 rpm 2 mins

LC 2*24kg 6 rpm 2 mins

LC 2*24kg 6 rpm 2 mins

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:02 am

Tuesday

Lunchtime run/jog: 2.41km 15:02 mins

Nose breathing only. Pretty consistent (slow) pace. Had no real trouble going non-stop for 15 mins which was my goal.