Joel's Keto run

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

dropoff

Joel's Keto run

Post by dropoff » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:14 am

I started Keto sort of haphazardly 2 weeks ago. I have been lurking on this forum for a bit now, figured I would join and try start a log to help me with compliance.

Volek's book on keto is a must before you start the diet, read it then read it again. Also look up Peter Attia, lots of good in nuanced info regarding keto and endurance training.

Genes log some good info there too regarding starting keto.

I started the diet at roughly 216 pounds - at 5.10 that puts me roughly at 28-30BF. I want a six pack bro.

I am down to 212. I have gone back and drilled down on my diet. Got rid of fruits and cut down on nuts - you'd be surprised how your portions of Macadamia get out of control if you dont pay attention. I watch my protein intake, fat to satiety and no carbs.

What I eat: Coconut oil, Grass fed butter, MCT oil, ground beef, bacon, eggs,hard cheeses, some jerky, some chicken, tuna, salmon, avocados, organic full fat half/half for my coffee, Green leafy vegs, broccoli, etc. protein shakes when i dont have appetite but need to supplement. Mag pills, fish oil pills, a generic multivitamin, water and more water. No weird sugar substitutes, I avoid ingredients I cant read and get grass fed meat when I can. Put salt on everything.

My workouts: Pretty basic, low rep high volume work. Will include a squat, bench or a deadlift on every workout. If I am home Ill "grease the groove" or do short body weight stuff to kill time: pull up bar is your friend..

Some observations:

Starting out its kind of shocking how much fat you take in. Once you get over that you find out how easy the diet is. I did not have the weird keto flu feeling people talk about - maybe because I done other low carb diets before? I did get blocked up pretty bad though. Not taking a shit for 3 days after eating alot of meat and fat is REALLY uncomfortable. I upped my mag supplements and keep a gallon jug of water next to me at all times at home. BMs are still huge but I dont get gassy and blocked up anymore.

Fasting 16-24 hours is a breeze when you feel full all the time. Most days I only eat 1-2 meals. I have mountain biked 1-2 hours then hit the gym 30-40 mins after fasted and felt fine.

Butter in your coffee is king. Unless you take it black.

Processed food and refined carbs leaves me in a bad haze after eating them. Bloated, strength and concentration go to shit.

I work in a hospital so I have access to glucometers and ketone sticks. Ketostixs arent really accurate - debating on buying own meter with ketone strips.

Stay tuned..

dropoff

Re: Joel's Keto run

Post by dropoff » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:57 pm

Took a few days to get my post approved.

1/21/2014 - Lower body workout, lunges, squats, single leg presses. Set new squat PR.
1/22/2014 - BG @ 6am 84.
1/23/2014 - BG @ 730am 80.

I work 12 hour night shifts - i try to get 6-9 hours depending during the day. Everybody touts proper sleeping is clutch while on keto so switching from sleeping in the day to sleeping at nights may be a real issue. When I do sleep i sleep pretty soundly. Trying to switch to a day shift. Ketone meter in the mail.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:19 am

Processed food and refined carbs leaves me in a bad haze after eating them. Bloated, strength and concentration go to shit.
Same here. I am coming up on my year anniversary living this way. I barely remember what those foods taste like except that I do chocolate every day. The size of one finger, about a six grams of carbs.

I don't see anything here about salt consumption. I have problems in the long term if I do maintain the salt and magnesium intake. Mainly night cramps and some difficulty concentrating. You could have similar problems, sooner or later. If you do not do enough potassium your body will extract it from your muscles and other parts. Do too much and you could be in some shit.

If I drop the vitamin C that I have problems thinking clearly. I have to make myself take it.

I still not have a "six pack". I don't much care if I get one. Everyone has their own goals.

I addressed the Ketostix blood keto issue lots of times in my log. It's all in there if you are interested.

Best of luck to you.
This space for let

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Post by Koko, Beware » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:18 pm

Good stuff. I tinker with a keto diet here and there--pretty easy plan to follow if you do keep your fat in check a la Phinney and Volek, and if you have a carb heavy meal or refeed a couple times a week I find it plays pretty well with two hard training sessions. I enjoy running/steady state on no carbs--there's a unique feeling of a kind of clean burning fuel to me. It's not for everyone, but I think you can train pretty hard in the weight room (judiciously after some carbs) and have pretty good wind on it, especially if compliance on more regimented plans is hard to come by.

Attia's stuff is interesting. A member at our gym recently turned me on to him--he's got a nice PDF in there on low back rehab, oddly enough.
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto