it's big, it's heavy, it's wood

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bud Charniga's grape ape

it's big, it's heavy, it's wood

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:22 pm

I haven't touched a weight in months. Well, I did some kb swings the other day, but that doesn't count. My wife went back to work late last year, I started to feel overwhelmed with work and life responsibilities, and let the physical part of my life slip away. I'm realizing now how much of an effect that's had on my mental health and overall well-being. I've been struggling with depression again, and lately I've found myself craving a drink, which is a really bad place for me to be.

For the next six weeks I'm making a commitment to take a brisk walk, of at least a mile, at least twenty-four times. Most likely slap some weights in a backpack, listen to a podcast, and get about half an hour in before the baby wakes up.

I don't expect this to make me bullstrong, or fix all of my problems. The point is to get back in the saddle.
Last edited by Bud Charniga's grape ape on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jonny Canuck
Gunny

Re: Remedial Studies

Post by Jonny Canuck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Good Luck man. I think there are guys on this forum who have been in the same spot you are in right now.

Now start walking!

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:45 pm

Friday, 3/28/14

1/24

2 miles, 15# backpack, 35 minutes

Jonny Canuck wrote:Good Luck man. I think there are guys on this forum who have been in the same spot you are in right now.

Now start walking!
Thanks man.

CrapSammich
Staff Sergeant

Post by CrapSammich » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:I don't expect this to make me bullstrong, or fix all of my problems. The point is to get back in the saddle.
Good luck, and just do it. And on crappy days, lie to yourself if you need to. Any movement is likely to clear your head and make you feel better than no movement.

I often tell myself that all I need to do is put on workout clothes and go to the gym, even if I shower the minute I get there and come right back home. Works like a charm 'cuz I'm gullible. Even on lazy gym days, I still feel like I accomplished something more than eating a McGriddle in bed.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:08 pm

I had to do something like that last fall due to some health issues. Its a good plan, good luck.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the dap

Monday, 3/31/14

2/24

1.85 miles, 20 lbs, time was off due to some errands along the way

edit: oh, I also dicked around with a medball yesterday. Nothing planned or especially worth noting.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:08 am

I swear to god I'm the only motherfucker in the world weak enough to pull a midback muscle while walking.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:43 pm

Weight pack carries can stress the lower to mid back some, especially if the support isn't great on the pack. NSAIDs it up and stretch. Skip the pack next time or two. It will work itself out. Make certain when you go back to the pack that you are keeping good posture. The weight tends to make folks fold into some funky lordosis position. Make a conscious effort to keep the spine neutral. Keeping my abs tight is a good cue for this. If the problem is a not so great pack, spend the clams to get a good internal frame pack with good comfy supports. It will make a huge difference.

Also, welcome back to the fold. Don't let it get you down homie. Pack rucking and some general BW stuff can do a lot for the average joe. Definitely like where this is headed. Good luck.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:47 am

4/6/2014

3/24

20 lbs, 3.5 miles, about an hour
Dunn wrote:Weight pack carries can stress the lower to mid back some, especially if the support isn't great on the pack. NSAIDs it up and stretch. Skip the pack next time or two. It will work itself out. Make certain when you go back to the pack that you are keeping good posture. The weight tends to make folks fold into some funky lordosis position. Make a conscious effort to keep the spine neutral. Keeping my abs tight is a good cue for this. If the problem is a not so great pack, spend the clams to get a good internal frame pack with good comfy supports. It will make a huge difference.

Also, welcome back to the fold. Don't let it get you down homie. Pack rucking and some general BW stuff can do a lot for the average joe. Definitely like where this is headed. Good luck.
Thanks Dunn. The above is a good point - I'm using my shitty old Jansport. Even if I don't want to spring for a decent pack at this point, I can at least upgrade to my REI daypack, which has a belt and chest strap.

In other news... I decided to shoot for the Monterey HG, August 2-3 this year. (There are a couple of games before then but are either invitationals, or not workable for other reasons). That gives me about four months to prep.

Next six weeks I'm going to stick with the pack walking, get some throws in where possible. After that, as much throwing as I can.

Now to buy a man skirt

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:18 am

Stillwater Kilts or SportKilt

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:47 am

Welcome to the fold.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Welcome to the fold.

heyo

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:28 pm

4/7

30 min yoga. I'm hugely inflexible.

4/8

4/24

1.6 miles, no weight

Made the mistake of reading some of the longer threads on NASGA. What's the saying, the smaller the stakes, the louder the argument? Yeah.

edit: and then I watched the Valenti videos. FML, is there any sport left where the competitors don't get wrapped 'round poles trying to justify why their fed/league/conglomeration is Pure and the others Filth? It's men in skirts throwing rocks for fucks sake

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:34 pm

4/11/14

first time actually throwing this season. 'twas lulzy

Warmup:
jogging
sun salutations
ball slams

Stone (15 lb. slamball, biggest trick is trying to keep it tight against the neck)
-standing put w/ hip twist
-rocking drills (I think that's what the Pockoskis call them. I think of them as backie-forthies)
-1 2 drills
-a couple of full braemar, 60-70% effort
-walk and pop (walk and flop? walk and slop may be more appropriate) for about 30 minutes. No effort behind it, just trying to hit the positions
LWFD
-casting drills. Just casting it front and back for as many as it took me to lose my balance.

A couple of notes.
-Last season, I was trying to teach myself the glide since everyone says it's easy to learn and the mechanics are repeatable. I never got comfortable with it, so I'm trying to teach myself to spin. Feels immediately better. note to self, sloooooooow downnnnnnnnnn
-First time using the Ballistica. Dear Sorinex: your gadget has like five parts. You're selling it for $100+. Please make sure that all the parts fucking fit together. The shackle they sent me doesn't match what's shown on the packing sheet, and is too girthy to fit through the links of the chain. I had to kludge something together today and will stop by Home Depot later to pick up a smaller shackle. Those things are cheap so I'm not concerned with the price, but ffs guys.
-weights took a nice strip of skin out of my middle finger

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:42 pm

Slow and low...slower...lower...slooooowwwwwww and loooooooooow.

BackieForthies...I like this. Just make sure to practice keeping that left foot down..so you don;t foul out your first 90 times like I did.

Never thought I'd say this...but. the long chain WFD line drills took me from shit to suck on the LW in about 3 weeks. Add in lots of time with the heavy and Bob's your uncle.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:48 pm

k...another thing. Your training here is fuckin smart. very smart.

You find yourself a throwing group eventually and compete as a LW and you could really have a great time in this sport. Only thing to add...make that caber, I regret every day that I'm not throwing caber because it's fugn hard.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:10 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:k...another thing. Your training here is fuckin smart. very smart.
Christ, that's good to hear, since it feels like I'm just throwing stuff against the wall...
You find yourself a throwing group eventually and compete as a LW and you could really have a great time in this sport. Only thing to add...make that caber, I regret every day that I'm not throwing caber because it's fugn hard.
Throwing group = working on it. I have a sorta invitation to Alan H's group in Stanford, but that's too far to drive on a regular basis, at least until the two year old is...not two.

Caber = some day, maybe, but nowhere to put it as yet.

But yeah, it's been fun so far. If nothing else, chucking shit is a helluva enjoyable way to spend an hour or two outside. For whatever reason, throwing trips my flow state switches. I lose track of time out there.

Thanks BD.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:15 am

4/12/2014

warmup:
jogging
sun salutations
ball slams

light hammer:
-winds for about 30 min. Not straight, mind you; I'm not prepared to try that tantric shit yet
-I'd wanted to take a few throws, but the larger field I was hoping to use was hosting a little league game

stone:
same progression as yesterday

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:46 pm

Putting this here to remind myself:

After two proper throwing sessions
(a) my conditioning/GPP/whatever was fine despite being sedentary for the past few months. It intuits well that starting the "season" with relatively low-intensity drilling might just be a more effective way of building up conditioning than worrying about weighted walking/yoga/whatevs
(b) ditto strength. I'm not saying that strength isn't important but...bigger fish to fry
(c) my throwing hand is pretty torn up. So far that's the one place where I'm feeling a lack of conditioning

BD, syaigh et al may now proceed to point to what they've said about throwing being the base and say "I told you so"

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:35 pm

4/15/2014

light hammer:
a bunch of winds

stone:
1/2 drills
braemar
walk n' slop

LWFD:
shitshow

On the weights, I'm dragging it behind me rather than pushing it out in front. From there, everything gets fucked. I never had a problem with that before. Looking back through older logs, one thing I did a lot last year when I was first learning the throws was a 0 turn, or cast and throw (I don't think I ever figured out if this drill had an official clever kid T&F name). My hypothesis is that drill -- cast and blow it out the front -- taught me to get the weight in front rather than trying to drag it through the turns. It's worth playing with.

hammer and stones weren't anything magic, just work. I'm still feeling pleased with how the MSA is coming along

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:11 pm

Throw specific conditioning took me a full year. Probably would have taken less if I would have avoided the weight room. But now, even dinged up, I can throw for many dozens more attempts than is wise.

Couple things on hammer. I think I sent these. I found both of them to be considerably more useful than the Mike and Mindy DVD.

Jake throws a lot of information out, try on one cue at a time.

Brian Hare does a lot of winds, watch how he uses what he calls shoulder winds and long winds. shoulder winds are just getting the right arc and trajectory, then accelerate letting the hammer pull you into longer and longer positions for long winds...then release.

Brian throws in some windy midwest hellhole, so turn the sound down on this one.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:59 pm

One of the great transitions i have had to make from win or die competitive attitude (when your hammy is singing in meet warmups and you keep going and hope it holds together at least until you have a DL or two on the board) to a lets walk down the hill son and nail 'em all approach is putting a live to fight another day and that day is not after a rehab stint mentality up, and then sticking to it.

If you are not getting paid to do it or it is not your obsession then just show up and get the work in. Hit the gas if it is there and you are up to speed, if not then do what you can and enjoy going home in one piece. Maybe not the attitude i cultivated in the past but i am sure if i compete again my go time switch will flip and i will be fine. But to get there my goal is no injuries that can be prevented by the avoidance of the feared HBAD award.

As the Tortuga Golden Strider runner's Club Motto goes, "Start Slowly then ease off". If you have a huge base you don't have to rebuild it. You just have to get on top of it.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks Jack.

"How much, how hard" is something I've always struggled with. Truth be told there's not a lot about Dave Tate that I relate to, being that he's a large man with accomplishments in strength sports and I'm a small never-was. But his whole blast/dust thing...I get that. If I'm feeling 100% I have a hard time pulling back...I beat the shit out of myself for years trying to get from "terrible" to "mediocre" in judo. Broken fingers/toes, fucked up elbows, fucked up knees...I once got seoi nage'd onto my neck and had a persistent tingle from the shoulders down for weeks. And I trained through all of that.

Now I've got a family and a career to worry about, and I can't do nearly as much as I'd like to...and so my inclination is to do nothing. If I can't go hard 4-6 days per week, it feels like I might as well sit on my ass and play video games.

So doing something, sorta hard, when I can...that's tough.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:01 pm

4/18

stones and weight, total shitshow

fuck this. there is a minimum strength requirement for HG and I'm not there

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:34 am

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:4/18

stones and weight, total shitshow

fuck this. there is a minimum strength requirement for HG and I'm not there
You say that but I've had my ass kicked by a ton of guys that could never touch my gym lifts. Footwork, timing, and speed are all great equalizers.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality