it's big, it's heavy, it's wood

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Remedial Studies

Post by Dunn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:40 am

Ed Zachary wrote:
Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:4/18

stones and weight, total shitshow

fuck this. there is a minimum strength requirement for HG and I'm not there
You say that but I've had my ass kicked by a ton of guys that could never touch my gym lifts. Footwork, timing, and speed are all great equalizers.

This. I have always been on the smaller side for HG, but I'm also stronger than a lot of guys in my weight division. You have no idea how awesome and then sick I felt when I turned the caber and nailed the HW for height only to see much heavier (read fat and slovenly) guys glide those fucking distance throws so far beyond my brute force efforts that I was sick. There was strength there but it was more timing and footwork that did the trick. I realized then that I had a long way to go. Still haven't gotten back to it yet since GS sucked me in, but it's on my list.

What I've garnered from talking with BD and others about this sport: Throw. Throw some more. Then throw some more. Video yourself. See how you fucked up. Correct those. Throw some more.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:08 pm

thanks all...still feeling frustrated but down off the ledge

4/19/14

stones
1-2 x 10
stand no reverse x 10
walk and pop x 10

weight (17 lbs)
one turn x 10

weight (27 lbs)
casting drills
one turn x 10

light hammer
winds x 20 minutes

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Yeah, I'm small and uncompact for throwing. Skill development is really my only chance. Videoing yourself helps a lot. If you can't figure out what's wrong, sent it to someone who does.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Haven't had time to throw the past few days, but I did get in a few rounds of kettlebollocks and pullups last night and this morning while the midget was sleeping.

Right now I'm feeling queasy and lightheaded. I'm hoping it's just hypoglycemia (snarfed some chips and a couple of tangerines so if that's the case I ought to feel better soon), but my wife has had some kind of coughing nastiness for the past few days and just got a workup for pertussis, so I'm not super hopeful.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Second throwing session in 3 years tonight. Friday was some stone and single turn weights...stones are...OK...wfd are not. Made a ghetto hammer today, hope it lasts more than 3 throws.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:41 pm

No throws this morning; sick wife. I'll try to do some kettlekrap this evening.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:19 pm

4/23/14

stones (15 lbs)
stand no reverse x about 10
stand w/ reverse x about 5
walk and pop x about 20

light hammer
a bunch of winds
10 throws

went home, did some kettlekrap and pullups. meh.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:28 pm

haven't done shit in a while. Work is cornholing me atm. Eh.

April 30, 2014

stones
stand no reverse x 5
stand w/ reverse x 5
ostone x 10

light hammer
shoulder winds
one wind x 5
two winds x 5
full throw x oops

a piece of hardware on the fucking ballistica broke on the first full throw. But, it was a pretty good throw. Did some more ostone then went home.

RIP Bob Hoskins; time to rewatch The Long Good Friday

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon May 05, 2014 7:55 pm

5/5/2014

stones

I'm going on vacation back East for a few weeks starting on Thursday. About the only exercise I expect to get will be chasing the midget around Brooklyn, trying to make sure she doesn't get hit by a bus.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Re: BodyPump for mass, BodyCombat for cuts

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri May 23, 2014 6:59 pm

For a while now I've had a niggling feeling like I was missing something from my life without any barbell work in it. Whether or not it will immediately make the throws go farther is, I realize, an open question. But for better or worse (mostly worse) barbells have been a constant in my life for over ten years now. Subjectively, I feel weaker when I'm not in the gym. Weaker, and just...worse. A little less confident in my physical abilities, a little more prone to irritability, I don't sleep as well, etc.

I talked to BD and picked his brain for a little bit before leaving on vacation psst don't tell anyone he's a really nice guy. I wanted something that I could do without totally tanking the throws or taking away from that practice too much, and left to my own devices I'd get paralyzed with indecision about what the "best" program would be. So I was grateful to have someone else do the deciding.

So it'll be a ten-day schedule, with BodyPump on days 1, 2, 4, 6, and 10 for mass and strength gainz, BodyCombat on days 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 for cuts and agressiveness (it's important to only do high-intensity work on prime numbered days so the muscles keep guessing), and I'll be cycling forskolin and cordyceps.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri May 23, 2014 7:05 pm

5/23

warmup

Front Squat (I dream of Jeannie-style)
45 x 5
65 x 4
75 x 3
85 x 2
95 x 1

Squat
115, doubles on the minute

EZ-bar Curlz
40 x about 30 total reps

I'm expecting the first few sessions to be rangefinding more than anything else.

edit: driving 5+ hours yesterday, BB skwatz today for the first time in a few months, even with a light weight = my neck and back would like a word. Nothing too serious, just some kinks to work out tonight
Last edited by Bud Charniga's grape ape on Fri May 23, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri May 23, 2014 7:08 pm

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:So it'll be a ten-day schedule, with BodyPump on days 1, 2, 4, 6, and 10 for mass and strength gainz, BodyCombat on days 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 for cuts and agressiveness (it's important to only do high-intensity work on prime numbered days so the muscles keep guessing), and I'll be cycling forskolin and cordyceps.
This is insurmountably awesome plan.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri May 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:So it'll be a ten-day schedule, with BodyPump on days 1, 2, 4, 6, and 10 for mass and strength gainz, BodyCombat on days 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 for cuts and agressiveness (it's important to only do high-intensity work on prime numbered days so the muscles keep guessing), and I'll be cycling forskolin and cordyceps.
This is insurmountably awesome plan.
It intuits well, doesn't it.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sat May 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Saturday, 5/24

warmup

Modified Sumo
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 3
245 x 2
275 x 1
felt pretty good.

Push Press: 20 minutes, 33 reps
Funny. At the end, I didn't feel fatigued, I had plenty of wind, the weight didn't feel too heavy, my muscles just decided not to lift it anymore. I know that's a kind of muscular failure that happens (too lazy to go through Siff & Verk to figure out what it's called), but it rarely happens to me.

Pulldowns:
100 x 10/10/8/6/6
I'm trying to force myself to do the accessory stuff BBer pump and squeeze style.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon May 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Monday, 5/26

warmup

Front Squat
45 x 5
65 x 4
85 x 3
95 x 2
105 x 1

Squat: 125, 20 minutes, 45 reps

In and out in half an hour.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Tue May 27, 2014 7:53 pm

Tuesday, 5/27

meh

warmup

Modified Sumo:
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 1

Push Press: 95, 6 reps in 5 minutes.
Stopped there. Nothing in the tank. It's just fatigue, nothing important.

Low Row:
70 x 10
100 x 10/10/8/5

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Thu May 29, 2014 8:05 pm

Thursday, 5/29

warmup

Front Squat:
45 x 5
65 x 5
85 x 4
95 x 3
105 x 2
115 x 1

Squat: 135, 20 minutes, 40 reps

EZ bar curls:
40 x 6/6/5/5/5

It definitely shows that I haven't done curls for a good long time.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri May 30, 2014 6:39 pm

Friday, 5/30

double meh

warmup

Modified Sumo:
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 3
245 x 1

Push Press:
95, 3 reps in 5 minutes
pouted for a minute or two
stripped the weight
85, 22 reps in the remaining time

Did a couple of pullups, they hurt my elbow so I stopped

Pulldowns:
100 x 10/10/10/8/6

It's looking more like that first session with the 33 reps of PP at 95 was the outlier, rather than the one before this. It's just two bad workouts so I'm not overly concerned, but it would probably pay anyway to drop the weight a tad and work back up. I've got a fairly significant amount of work stress right now: I'm trying to draft a document that's the regulatory analog to a grand jury indictment, and it's a lot of work. I haven't slept well the past few nights and my appetite is off today. Squat is still feeling fine (albeit at a piss light weight) so things can't be all bad.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Sunday, 6/1

left the midget with some friends and drove up to Sonoma with the wife; did a little walking, a little eating, and a little hiking (2 miles, about 800' total elevation change). I wasn't enthralled with Sonoma: Even when I was drinking the whole wine tourism shtick held very little appeal to me. But it is pretty country if you can ditch the yuppies with "I :heart: my sommelier" bumper stickers.

Monday, 6/2

warmup

Front Squat:
45 x 5
65 x 5
85 x 4
95 x 3
105 x 2
115 x 1

Squat: 155, 20 minutes, 20 reps
I meant to load 145, but had a 6 AM pre-coffee math fail. You see, the bar + plates = 135. And my gym has a pair of 55 lbs. plates. 55 = 45 + 10, and 135 + 10 is 145, right? I'd done 7 or 8 reps before I figured it out, and decided to stay with it.

EZ curls:
40 x 10/5/5/5/5

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Wednesday, 6/4

Nothing yesterday. I had a hard time getting down to sleep, then the midget woke up around 2 AM. Today, I wanted to go throw, but the park was packed with kids. I guess they're out of school for the summer. Fuck.

warmup

DL:
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 3
245 x 2
back to conventional. I may switch back and forth, we'll see; or do one for two weeks, the other for two weeks. Dunno. Or just stick with the sumo until I decide to start pushing the DL again.

Push Press: 85, 20 minutes, 54 reps

Pulldowns: 100 x 12/12/8/8/6

I should find some time to do some more throwing, but honestly I'm having fun with the barbells right now. And the competition I'm shooting for is early August; I could practice 40 hours a week until then and I'd still fucking suck. First competition as an adult entering a new sport, yeah, that should be fun rather than a chore.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Friday, June 6

warmup
FWIW I've been trying out the warmup that Brian Carroll recommends in his book: a single-sided loaded carry (I've been using waiter walks) and "McGill's Big Three." So far I like using the carry and will probably keep doing that. 100 ft. with even a light kettlebell held overhead seems to warm up the shoulders, hips, and low back nicely. "McGill's Big Three" I am...less sold on. I guess I'm not convinced that torso stiffness is the new hotness. I'll keep on for a while: if nothing else it's a set program, and if I don't have a set program I either tend to do a mishmash of bullshit moves for the sake of doing something, or just blow it off entirely. And Brian Carroll definitely knows more than I do about this whole weights tip.

Front Squat:
45 x 5
75 x 5
95 x 4
105 x 3
115 x 2
125 x 1

Squat: 155, 20 minutes, 26 reps -- 6 more than Monday.

EZ Curl: 40 x 8/6/6/5/5

stretching, done

Next week is going to be all fucked up. I've got a conference next Monday-Weds but will try to get some time in Thursday-Friday.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Sunday, June 8

warmup

Modified Sumo:
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 3
245 x 2

Push Press: 95, 20 minutes, 50 reps
I officially don't understand the human body

Pulldowns: 100 x 15/12/10/8/7

Henkinbag(tm) bearhug carry: whatever was in the bag x parking lot and back, 3 stops

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:15 pm

I've been mostly sidelined the past week with back spasms. No idea what caused them, but having to sit in a conference room for three days surely didn't help. Some flexeril probably would've cleared that shit right up, but given my history I'm leery of dabbling with sedatives unless absolutely necessary. So I've been doing my McGill Big 3, and the Jon Engum's 4 Knots series, which is a good thing for me to remember. When I was doing that regularly last year...well, I don't know if it fixed anything per se, but when I could get through all of the movements without any "noise", I found that I moved well in the gym and my joints felt good. I'd like to keep it in the rotation.

I did have a fair amount of frustration about my progress (or lack thereof) this week. Some of it can be attributed to inconsistency the past few years, and some program-hopping and changing goals before that, but still...when getting my squat back to bodyweight for reps will count as an accomplishment, well, that's frustrating. Then I read Bob W's blog for a while and got over it.

The other disappointment was learning that hotel rooms in Monterey the dates of the Scottish festival there start at around $150 per night. We're not poor, but we're not swimming in it either, and that starts to add up to real money. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to go, considering that I've never done this before and have no idea whether I'd actually like it or not, or whether it would be better to wait for a more local games. Shit, maybe I can get invited to Pleasanton <<<<q

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:57 am

McGill Big 3, and the Jon Engum's 4 Knots series
Very good stuff. Look at Foundation Training. There's a 12 minute workout on Youtube that produces miracles. I recommend to clients all the time.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:38 am

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:I've been mostly sidelined the past week with back spasms. No idea what caused them, but having to sit in a conference room for three days surely didn't help. Some flexeril probably would've cleared that shit right up, but given my history I'm leery of dabbling with sedatives unless absolutely necessary. So I've been doing my McGill Big 3, and the Jon Engum's 4 Knots series, which is a good thing for me to remember. When I was doing that regularly last year...well, I don't know if it fixed anything per se, but when I could get through all of the movements without any "noise", I found that I moved well in the gym and my joints felt good. I'd like to keep it in the rotation.

I did have a fair amount of frustration about my progress (or lack thereof) this week. Some of it can be attributed to inconsistency the past few years, and some program-hopping and changing goals before that, but still...when getting my squat back to bodyweight for reps will count as an accomplishment, well, that's frustrating. Then I read Bob W's blog for a while and got over it.

The other disappointment was learning that hotel rooms in Monterey the dates of the Scottish festival there start at around $150 per night. We're not poor, but we're not swimming in it either, and that starts to add up to real money. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to go, considering that I've never done this before and have no idea whether I'd actually like it or not, or whether it would be better to wait for a more local games. Shit, maybe I can get invited to Pleasanton <<<<q
You might look at doing a smaller games that's a longer drive. Driving an hour and change south to Monterey in traffic, you might as well knock off early and drive up to Red Bluff or something, cheaper and less hassle in many ways. Only problem is you might not be able to find one with a LW class.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill