Train, Don't Strain

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Train, Don't Strain

Post by baffled » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:10 am

2-2-2015
Multiple stressors plus shitty sleep lead to a complete layoff through yesterday. Sunday, 2-1-2015

30' easy

Messed with Javorek #4, I think. DB complex

Hip stability work now.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:21 am

2-3-2015
Hip and balance work.

Definitely getting better, but feet need to be stronger.

Coming to realize that the majority of running form flaws are related to posture and proper hip extension. Also noticing, at least in my case, that getting the glute med to fire seems to free up the glute max to extend the hips.

Plenty of exceptions, I'm sure, but when I get those posture and hip cues going, everything seems better.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:23 am

2-4-2015
35' with 5 strides at the 20' mark

Easy

Planning Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday for this week, then take stock.

Think I got lucky I didn't crater last week with that heavy fatigue I had going.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:16 am

2-5-2015
35' + 4 strides

Light mobility
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:04 pm

2-7-2015
40' exactly

Pacing was good, but trying not to focus on actual mileage right now.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:44 am

2-9-2015
42' with 5 hill strides at the 25' mark

Strength work now.

Noticing the pronounced crossover gait is mostly gone.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:19 am

2-11-2015
35'
5 hill strides at the 15' mark
5 strides at the 35' mark
Not counting slow few minutes home

Strides seem to be a good place to get legs opened up and boost cadence while working some form cues
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:51 am

2-12-2014
38'
5 hill strides about 20' in, I think

Actually felt pretty awesome as I made the last stretch home, but limited time meant I went home.

Hip work and DB complexes with a few extra minutes I ended up having
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:57 am

2-13-2015
Did some lifting at the gym for the first time since Christmas. Been all DB and BW work since then.

2-14-2015
Low level hip, foot and midsection work

2-16-2015
Treadmill workout
20' warmup
6 x 1' w/ 1' rest at 6% incline
1. 8:00 pace
2. 7:40 pace
3. 7:30
4. 7:10
5. 6:55
6. 6:40

All approximate paces, and just trying to find the limit. That incline changes things a little.....

Cool down then lift in th afternoon.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:52 am

2-18-2015
30' + 5 strides + 10'

Amp up the hip stability work.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:57 am

2-19-2015
40' + 6 strides

Stretch.

Did a bunch of stir the pot and swiss ball rollouts last night.

Looking at my training for.... a long time, I have very little actual speed or power work. I've chugged along with form changes (getting better), endurance (not as much lately with the form changes), and some leg turnover stuff (high frequency strides), but almost no speed.

It may be time to do a month or two of speed stuff, see what I can clock a mile in, then go from there....

Need to think on it a little more. I know of a few coaches who like shorter efforts, like Salazar's 300m repetition workouts to build and maintain speed.

Just not sure if lactic acid baths are something I really need right now.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:51 am

2-20 ---> 3-1

Not much. Woke with an achy hip Sunday before last that just started to back off last night

Saw the doc yesterday who didn't have a clue what was going on and gave me zero help.

Did a bunch of animal moves and got a few pops and a big shift on the left side.

Still a little stiff and sore, but finally improving.

Damn banked roads, I think. And my mileage has been pretty low, often 20-25 miles or less each week. Strongly considering a big overhaul to my workouts.

Doing more stuff to focus on movement sounds real nice. I'm too young to have joints rebel like that. Hate to say it, but the stuff Ido Portal does has a lot of appeal at the moment .

Did 3 minutes of hanging and 3 in a pseudo planche lean last night. Probably do the same tonight.

Edit: not the rolling over boxes and weird shit Idi does, but the ability to move and control my body.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:42 pm

4-5-2015
Been working through the Foundation 1 program on the GB site.

Between long and stressful days, the hip and a weird foot strain I picked up running between buildings at work, I've done zero running for 6 weeks. I feel better overall this last week, but my conditioning is starting to slip noticeably and my hip still is about 80% most days.

I'll start logging my workouts again this week as I just finished a de-load.

Today, I worked through ~40 minutes of stretches from a Kit Laughlin flexibility routine.

Changing my setup at my place so I can fit in shorter runs before or after workouts.
- Benjamin Franklin

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:33 am

baffled wrote:Doing more stuff to focus on movement sounds real nice. I'm too young to have joints rebel like that. Hate to say it, but the stuff Ido Portal does has a lot of appeal at the moment .
He seems kind of kooky but I do like the movement stuff he teaches. I like Sonnon's Flow Fit a lot. I've wanted to try his Prasara Yoga. I have the dvd but you need a good bit of space to do it. I like Maxwell's stuff too. I've been big on mobility for a long time myself. Just haven't devoted as much time to it as I have wanted.

Good luck with your hip!

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:18 am

Thanks, Mick.

Flow Fit, Animal Flow (I've got that from a few years ago and have done a little lately), Ido's weirdness or whatever else is out there are all under utilized for the average guy, IMO.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:43 am

4-6-2015
Realized I really can't log my workouts with too much detail since I'd be giving away the program.

I did work on front lever, straddle planche, hollow back press and rope climb progressions.

The pre-requisites for these are surprisingly hard. Especially the midsection work. My abs were/are weaker than I thought, but I'm pretty strong on press and pulls.

Long stretch tonight while watching the game.
- Benjamin Franklin

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:34 am

http://antranik.org/the-floreio-project/

Don't know if you have seen that. Nice curation of Ido's stuff.
"All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is. Once you start comparing one place to another, there's no end to it."- Sodo Yokoyama

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:14 am

Thanks for posting that. I've been to that page, I think linked from Reddit, but I keep forgetting it's there. I really need to clean up my bookmarks and mark that to visit later on.

4-7-2015
Worked on manna, side lever and single leg (pistol) squat progressions.

A lot of intense midsection/"core" work. Some of these I've done before, but the progressions are nice, even if I'm only in them for a week or two, to remind myself how to generate tension in different positions.

Handstand wrist prep and headstand progressions.

-------
Cousin passed away last night. I hadn't seen him in probably close to a decade, and he was almost 20 years older than me, but he was a real cool guy, and a good guy. In my family, that's a rarity.

I didn't really have much reaction to it. I knew he wasn't well, but we weren't close, and I didn't really have much of a reaction when I got the news.

Didn't get much done, and I think maybe it was a bigger distraction than I thought earlier today. I've had a couple cousins pass away now, and it makes me start thinking about my own mortality, what I'm doing with my life, and what I want for the future. It's different when it's part of your generation or younger, as opposed to a grandparent, aunt or uncle.

Never been good at longer term planning.
- Benjamin Franklin

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:11 pm

4-8-2015
Front lever progression 2
Straddle planch p. 3
Hollow back press p.5
Rope climb p. 4

One thing with the workouts is that natural strengths can have you working through F1, F2 etc, for one or two movements, while the rest are stuck in the first half of the previous program. Front lever and straddle planche will be the two that hold me back... maybe manna as well.

Not sure I'll ever have the shoulder mobility to achieve a full manna, but the strength progressions are fun and useful. Low back is feeling better with this hard charge of"core" work.
- Benjamin Franklin