Kenny X's Down-On-The-Bayou Training Journal

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Re: Kenny X's Down-On-The-Bayou Training Journal

Post by bennyonesix » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:58 am

Kenny X is more tan than I expected.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:47 pm

MONDAY:

1. KB Snatch Intervals- 16 kg. @ 14 min., 15 seconds on / 15 seconds off, 12 RPM (6R, 6L)

2. Hindu Push-Ups: BW x 1 x 10

Work schedule is totally fucked up at the moment. But it will get better.
WildGorillaMan wrote:$4000 bicycle. $300 shoes. $400 spandex.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:06 pm

The shooting happened at the Grand 16 Cinema, which is about a mile down Johnston St. from my house. The Soon-To-Be Mrs. Kenny X knew three people who were in the theater where the shooting happened. Jillian, who passed away, Morgan, a Yoga teacher she knows was shot 3 times, and her friend Jonah, who was unharmed. I just met Jonah that day when he dropped TS2BMKX off after a choir director's conference they'd attended.

Folks here were rattled, but they got back to business as usual quickly. Cajun folks are tough folks who love living life, and though the shooting really shook up the community here, Lafayette is still The Happiest City In America, even while they mourn the victims who died, and help the ones who survived pick up the pieces.

#LafayetteStrong

TUESDAY:

1. 30 minute un-loaded walk with Begonia The Pitbull
2. 3 Sun Salutations
3. Modified Ace In The Hole KB Complex:

Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 15 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 15, rest 2 min.
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 14 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 14, rest 2 min.
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 13 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 13, rest 2 min.
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 12 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 12, rest 1 min. 30 sec.
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 11 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 11, rest 1 min. 30 sec.
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 10 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 10, rest 1 min. 30 sec.
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 9 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 9, rest 1 min.
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 8 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 8, rest 1 min.
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 7 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 7, rest 1 min.
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 6 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 6, rest 1 min.
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 5 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 5, rest 1 min.
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 4 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 4, rest 1 min.
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 3 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 3, rest 0
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 2 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 2, rest 0
Swings + Goblet Squats + Push-Up's: 24 kg x 1 + 24 kg x 5 + BW x 1, rest 0

4. Wide-Grip Chin-Up's: BW x 1 x 6

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:05 pm

THURSDAY:

1. Sun Salutation x 3
2. Easy walking around Lake Martin, interspersed with periods of fishing at my favorite spots. 4 hours.
3. Swings, Push-Up's and Chin-Up's: 6 x [ 24 kg x 15 + BW x 10 + BW x 3 ] unlimited rest between sets

Working overnight tonight, tomorrow night, Saturday night, Sunsay night, etc. Fucking sucks. The bank is trying to fucking kill me, with a slow, agonizing, exhausting death.

35% bodyfat.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:42 pm

Kenny X wrote:The shooting happened at the Grand 16 Cinema, which is about a mile down Johnston St. from my house. The Soon-To-Be Mrs. Kenny X knew three people who were in the theater where the shooting happened. Jillian, who passed away, Morgan, a Yoga teacher she knows was shot 3 times, and her friend Jonah, who was unharmed. I just met Jonah that day when he dropped TS2BMKX off after a choir director's conference they'd attended.

Folks here were rattled...Lafayette is still The Happiest City In America, even while they mourn the victims who died, and help the ones who survived pick up the pieces.

#LafayetteStrong
May Jillian RIP, Morgan heal quickly, and all of yours be safe.

Man, the internet makes this a small world.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:59 am

johno wrote:
Kenny X wrote:The shooting happened at the Grand 16 Cinema, which is about a mile down Johnston St. from my house. The Soon-To-Be Mrs. Kenny X knew three people who were in the theater where the shooting happened. Jillian, who passed away, Morgan, a Yoga teacher she knows was shot 3 times, and her friend Jonah, who was unharmed. I just met Jonah that day when he dropped TS2BMKX off after a choir director's conference they'd attended.

Folks here were rattled...Lafayette is still The Happiest City In America, even while they mourn the victims who died, and help the ones who survived pick up the pieces.

#LafayetteStrong
May Jillian RIP, Morgan heal quickly, and all of yours be safe.

Man, the internet makes this a small world.
It really does, yeah. And thank you. TS2BMKX and I go to that theater all the time. I'm glad we didn't that night.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:48 pm

FRIDAY:

1. Sleep Late due to working all night
2. Sun Salutation x 3
3. "Half of Last Time" Easy KB Snatch Intervals- 16 kg. @ 7 min., 15 seconds on / 15 seconds off, 12 RPM (6R, 6L)

Yesterday's overnight work was a success! I pushed through yet another Production change, that affected 500 mission-critical servers, without one single failure or outage. My 100% perfect record for successful Production changes remains intact.

I am working late again, tonight, as you know. The Soon-To-Be Mrs. Kenny X, who is an abiding grace and joy in my life, is looking after me, making sure I'm sleeping well when I come to bed, eating well, and is taking good care of me. Today she has arranged for the two of us to get deluxe manicures and pedicures. Apparently it's the best thing EVAR- they massage your hands and feet for a half hour *each*, and pamper you and spoil you in-general. She believes that this will help me stay relaxed and happy, and thus, more focused and productive while at work tonight. She is also making my favorite beer can chicken for dinner. I'm actually really looking forward to the pedicure, and I'm stoked about working tonight. I kicked ass on my snatches today, they felt like a warmup, and with last night going so well, I'm looking forward to kicking more ass tonight, after a nice afternoon of relaxing, followed by a nap, and then a nice dinner.

Life is good down on the bayou, even with working late.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:17 pm

Two glorious rest days, yesterday and today. Worked from 6PM until 1:30AM, last night. I didn't sleep much, because I kept having vivid lucid dreams about fishing, and kept tossing and turning and waking up...

Yesterday afternoon, before I logged-in to work, I went to the ballpark pond to fish a while and relax. It helps me get my head right for work. I met an old fella there named George. He has been bass fishing for almost 60 years (since he was 5 years old), all over South Louisiana. Grew up fishing on Lake Martin at the same spots I like to fish. Anyway, he was kind enough to spend two hours with me, teaching me all kinds of basics. I have an inexpensive spinning outfit that I bought when I became interested in fishing. 10 lb. braided line on it. I fish with Yum's Senko knockoffs- they're good earth-tone soft plastic worms. George said I picked a great setup for "finesse fishing" as a beginner, and he showed me the fundamentals. Think of it like Rickson Gracie bass fishing. Two hours of knowledge. Everything from casting, to working the worm up and down in the water column slowly, to covering a large body of water accurately in 15 minutes...

Went home after that and got to work. ALL PRODUCTION CHANGES SUCCESSFUL, YET AGAIN!

I went to bed jazzed about that, and about fishing, and of course I'd have trouble sleeping. Woke up at 6:30 wide awake, and as The Soon-To-Be Mrs. Kenny X was preparing for her 4 mile recovery run (she is training for the Pensacola Marathon), I got ready to go fishing. She's so great-

She asked "Are you sure you don't need more sleep, baby?"

I said, "I can't. I keep dreaming about fishing, and I want to go back to the pond."

Laughing, she said "I love you so much. And I understand. It makes me happy to see you so excited about this!"

And I went to the pond, and I did everything George told me to do, and after about 15 minutes of fishing and sticking to the plan, something in my head told me "You're casting in this direction now, as-per The Plan. And see that little cove in the green weeds and grass there? There's a fish in there. Cast right there, now!" And I did. The worm landed soft. And right after I cranked the handle to tighten my line and pull it off the weeds and into the cove, BOOM! A direct hit and the accompanying boil. I set the hook fast and hard, pure reaction, no thought, and he came out fighting hard. I played him properly so as not to exhaust him, and got him out of the water fast. After that I took the selfie there, gently removed the hook, made sure his mouth was okay (it was), gave him the Buddhist Blessing I always give my fish, and placed him back int he water gently. He swam off, moving free, easy and happy in the water, a little wiser, and probably relieved that he didn't end up in my belly.

Awesome morning.

A new week of training resumes tomorrow, amidst four more late nights of work.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:44 pm

MONDAY:

1. Sun Salutation x 3
2. BJJ

Lunch break BJJ is basically an hour and a half long private with my professor on days like this. Only two of us showed up and that was awesome. Lots of half-guard stuff today.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:29 pm

WEDNESDAY:

1. KB Snatch Intervals- 16 kg. @ 16 min., 15 seconds on / 15 seconds off, 12 RPM (6R, 6L)

2. Easy Push-Ups and Pull-Ups- BW x 5,10,15 + BW x 1,2,3

I slept like shit after working late last night. And woke up way too early, wide-awake. And now I'm a fucking zombie. But I went fishing and then trained anyway. Tonight *should* be my last night shift for a while. And hopefully "a while" is more than just a week or two.

Incidentally, the Snatches felt good today. Felt like hard work, for a sleep-deprived zombie, but manageable, and it felt good to man-up and do it. I was gonna just not train at all today. I feel better for having trained.

Oh, and to go with the good training session, here's the bass I caught today at the scum pond:

35% bodyfat.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:41 am

Enjoy reading your journal Kenny.Every entry is like a miniature short story!
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Bobby wrote:Enjoy reading your journal Kenny.Every entry is like a miniature short story!

Thank you, Bobby! What I'm trying to do here is capture not only my training numbers, but where I am, physically, mentally and emotionally not only when I train, but when I'm just living life in the moments leading up to the training. It helps me observe myself and my training from the standpoint of a non-partisan, third-party observer, and that's important for me.

I notice that if I feel like shit, I can go fishing and BOOM! I feel better enough to train. That helps me. A LOT. I can wake up and feel good, train hard, and then go fishing and feel even better, and I don't want to do silly things like drink too much that night, because I want to feel even better for training the following morning. When I go back and read this stuff, I can get a picture of who I am and where I'm at, and use it to reaffirm what I know about myself.

THURSDAY:

1. Sun Salutation x 3
2. Unloaded walking with Begonia: 60 min.
3. OALC Complex: 24 kg. x 5 x 5 (R), 5 (L) rest 1 minute
4. BJJ Open Mat

And with that, I'm off to the lake!

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:36 pm

FRIDAY:

1. Easy sunrise walking around the lake and fishing
2. Sun Salutation- BW x 3
3. Easy KB Swing Intervals- 24 kg. @ 5 min., 15 seconds on / 15 seconds off, 14 RPM (7R, 7L)

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:58 pm

SUNDAY:

1. 90 minute Yoga class with Lacie.

I love Lacie's Yoga class. It's on a donation basis, outside at the Yoga Garden, which is a great Yoga center. I very much enjoy those classes and I try to go whenever she's putting one on.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:03 pm

FUCK MONDAYS:

Training today breaks-down like this-

1. Kettlebell Swing Intervals: 24 kg x 7 x 10, 20 seconds on / 20 seconds off, rest 2 minutes when finished, then-

2. Kettlebell Clean & Press Pyramid: 24 kg x 1,2,3,4,5,6,5,4,3,2,1 R+L, rest 45 seconds between sets, rest 2 minutes when finished, then-

3. Push-Ups: BW x 35,25,10, rest 2 minutes when finished, then-

4. Pull-Ups: BW x 6,3,2, rest 2 minutes when finished, then-

5. Kettlebell Lunge Ladder: BW + 24kg x 1,2,3,4,5 R+L, rest 45 seconds between sets

DONE.

I like this Monday setup. I was interested in something different to do on a shitty Monday when I have to deal with last-minute teleconferences that keep me off the mat. So I put this together to do on a fast lunch break, and rocked the house with it. So I'm gonna keep doing it, scale it up, and see what I can do with it.

Fishing happens this evening at Lake Martin.

35% bodyfat.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Kenny X wrote:FUCK MONDAYS:

1. Kettlebell Swing Intervals: 24 kg x 7 x 10, 20 seconds on / 20 seconds off, rest 2 minutes when finished, then-

2. Kettlebell Clean & Press Pyramid: 24 kg x 1,2,3,4,5,6,5,4,3,2,1 R+L, rest 45 seconds between sets, rest 2 minutes when finished, then-

5. Kettlebell Lunge Ladder: BW + 24kg x 1,2,3,4,5 R+L, rest 45 seconds between sets

DONE.

I like this Monday setup. I was interested in something different to do on a shitty Monday when I have to deal with last-minute teleconferences that keep me off the mat. So I put this together to do on a fast lunch break, and rocked the house with it. So I'm gonna keep doing it, scale it up, and see what I can do with it.

Looks nice! So its R then L and then the rest before next set?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Kenny X wrote:FUCK MONDAYS:

DONE.

Looks nice! So its R then L and then the rest before next set?
"being a pussy".

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:43 pm

Bobby wrote: Looks nice! So its R then L and then the rest before next set?
Yes sir, for the C&P and lunges.

Speeds up the workout, more time under tension, maybe a slight cardiovascular benefit somehow, and it helped me get it done on my lunch break.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:34 pm

TUESDAY:

That's new, delayed-onset muscle soreness as soon as a training session is done. It's amazing what happens when you add a new movement pattern to the training regimen (lunges). Body felt smoked right after training yesterday, and worse this morning. Did the following active-rest complex to help feel better:

1. R Single-Arm KB Swing & Break-fall/Technical Stand-Up: 24 kg. x 5, BW x 3, rest 45 seconds
2. L Single-Arm KB Swing & Break-fall/Technical Stand-Up: 24 kg. x 5, BW x 3, rest 45 seconds
3. R Single-Arm KB Swing & Break-fall/Technical Stand-Up: 24 kg. x 5, BW x 3, rest 45 seconds
4. L Single-Arm KB Swing & Break-fall/Technical Stand-Up: 24 kg. x 5, BW x 3, rest 45 seconds
5. R Single-Arm KB Swing & Break-fall/Technical Stand-Up: 24 kg. x 5, BW x 3, rest 45 seconds
6. L Single-Arm KB Swing & Break-fall/Technical Stand-Up: 24 kg. x 5, BW x 3, rest 45 seconds

Finished with push-ups: BW x 20, 20, 10, 10

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:00 am

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:16 pm

FRIDAY:

1. De-Load KB Snatch Intervals- 16 kg. @ 9 min., 15 seconds on / 15 seconds off, 12 RPM (6R, 6L)|

2. Push-Ups & Pull-Ups- BW x 10,15,20 & BW x 2,4,6

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:18 pm

SATURDAY:

I woke up right before first light, feeling verile, vigorous, and potent because I didn't get shitfaced last night (because I wanted to wake up at dawn to go fishing), got a cup of coffee, and headed to Lake Martin. I walked around a lot, and hit a lot of good, high-percentage fishing spots, too.

I got no bites from bass, but did nab an ugly-ass gar fish, and every time I'd cast, and th slack in my line would land on top of the water, the perch and bluegill would swarm it and bite at it. LOL had I been fly fishing, I'd have cleaned up!

I'm gonna get me a fly fishing outfit one day soon.

Anyway back to the walking and the bass. I'll be there again before yoga tomorrow. With better soft plastics to deal with the murky swamp water. Gonna get a biggun there, I can feel it in my bones.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:47 pm

SUNDAY:

1. Lots more walking around Lake Martin, and fishing.

2. Yoga at home, with The Very-Soon-To-Be Mrs. Kenny X: 30 min. Vinyasa Flow

I've been exploring more, around Lake Martin. I didn't catch any bass this morning, however, I did manage to accidentally hook a baby alligator.

What happened was, I was fishing a new spot I found, near Champagne's Swamp Tours. There's a public boat launch about 20 yards down the dirt road from there, and the water is murky and covered for the most part with algae and lily pads. There are also numerous cypress trees growing out of the water. The whole area looked like the perfect place for bass to live.

So I'm making casts, and retrieving my worm slowly and deliberately, and I see a disturbance right by a large lily pad. I retrieved my worm calmly, so as not to spook any fish, and once I had it back to me I casted out over that lily pad, thinking a large bass was under it. As soon as I'd brought my lure back far enough to be within striking distance, POW!! there was a huge splash, and my line jerked hard. I set the hook, and started playing what I thought was a huge bass.

And to my surprise, this guy pictured below is what came up out of the water.

I thought about just cutting my line, but that would mean I'd end up leaving the animal to swim around with my hook and soft plastic bait stuck in his mouth. That didn't seem right to me. So I reeled him in, and went to work trying to gently remove the hook. Once I'd gotten that squared-away, I looked him over. Only minor damage to his mouth. I then took a selfie with him, and turned him loose. He quietly swam away.

He only hissed a little. Didn't snap at me or anything. He was quite calm, and just made soft barking noises while I handled him. Neat little guy.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:31 pm

FUCK MONDAYS:

1. Kettlebell Swing Intervals: 24 kg x 10 x 10, 20 seconds on / 20 seconds off, rest 2 minutes when finished, then-

3. Kettlebell Lunge Ladder: BW + 24kg x 1,2,3,4,5 R+L, rest 45 seconds between sets

4. 2 hours of walking and fishing after work

35% bodyfat.