Fencing, stretching, Grappling, k'belling, Pugilism, jeep moving, Marksmenship ect.

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Fencing, stretching, Grappling, k'belling, Pugilism, jeep moving, Marksmenship ect.

Post by DARTH » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:29 am

Not keeping a full and complete log here as I never pull that off and I don't want to.

But sometimes I feel like making a post.

Yesterday I fenced for about 2 hours, longsworsd, saber/backsword, cane and stick using modified Shinia, no hilt single stick and Arnis stick with HEMA mask, Gorget, Lacrosse gloves, elbow pads, street hockey leg guards and of coarse, dick helmets.

I have to say, I got my ass kicked a good bit. I also pulled off some good shit and have a better idea of what I need to work at. White belt's mind.

I also worked saber drills with live steel several times in the day/night, spanning as short as a minute to about 30 minutes. I'd say I got an hour of live steel in the span of 16 hours. I did no live steel today, might do 10 minutes after I get off here.

Enjoying the ever loving shit out of the whole thing. Attempts at this in the late 90s were mostly a waste of time, it's the Pekiti Tarsia Arnis of David Wink that has made this study in this manner possable. Arnis is fencing, with sticks, knives and Filipino blades, but there is a lot of Cutlass, Saber and backsword influences as well. A lot of it is changes in geometry for me at this point.

Today I took it easy as far as training.
Then we had Ju jutstu/CMSG class. We started with some boxing wamr ups and some technical practice on the hook.
We worked a drag down from a throat/ lapel grab and some other stuff.

Tomorrow AM we act like Conan and a mule with a jeep for an hour.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Fencing, stretching, Grappling, k'belling, Pugilism, jeep moving, Marksmenship ect.

Post by DARTH » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:20 am

Got my Back Sword and Shit Sword AKA Sir Shrapnel

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/88SEB/ ... SWORD.aspx
Fucking sweet!

Sir Shrapnel was supposed to be a cruciform guard that was on the scratch and dent for cheap list. it's a cheap sword anyways. It's Sir. Shrapnel because that's a good chance of what it will be if you hit something hard with it. This is a pure swinger.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... iors+Sword+

But I ended up getting this

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SW669

Fuck it, good enough. maybe I'll get the other one?

So yesterday I did a lot of random practice and I've done a bit this morning.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Fencing, stretching, Grappling, k'belling, Pugilism, jeep moving, Marksmenship ect.

Post by DARTH » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:40 am

Saturday 9am-1pm

I went to a GoJu school on an invitation., as two of my students train there too.

Good time, I got a workout too. Asthma attack and i still sparred and grappeld before doing a short demo.

Sunday was my daughter's birthday, opened the peneta with a sword, kids loved that.

Before midnight I got over 35 minutes of backsword and wakizashi bokken and saber, drills and shadowfencing.

asthma has been a bitch, but I just powered through it, helped that it's fun.

Monday.

I got about 20 minutes of bastard sword, back sword and saber this morning.

Got another 20 this afternoon of backsword and Shortsword/Kukri.

Taught a hand to hand lesson, empty hand and cane.

20 minutes of Backsword.

Random stick all day between tasks.

Feel like going outside and training some more, but I am going to resist that. I have to teach tomorrow, have some fencing with a friend on Weds and then I want to get some lifting in. Easy on sword tomorrow

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:14 am

Saturday i had some guys from another dojo visit, good times!

Been swinging a lot of spring steel lately, maybe too much?

Sunday's Jeep mule workout went to shit for me. I stopped halfway through the first length of the pull and then did one of the push.

Monday Yoga, 1-20 minutes steel and wood drills sessions and shadow fencing.
20 minutes fencing with the with boy with nerf swords

Tuesday probably 60 minutes of steel and stick drilling in about 5 random short workouts

Weds 1 Leg DLs with 2-53kb's and Windmills with 36 and 53kb's x 5 sets.
Double Clean and Press 2-53KB's and 90degree jungle gym rows x 5 sets.

Kind of weak.

Some random drills with stick, no steel

Thursday

I dug a hole and put a pell in the ground. Then I worked on it with saber, espada, machete and I threw a kickbag over I and beat it with a stick.

Lots of drills with wood and steel, and about 30 minutes with the boy on cane/stick and some time on using entry for takedown/throw or using it upon enemy's entry on him.

I have about 1 hour or more of fencing with Iron Dog tomorrow after doing some work in the morning.

Don't know what I weigh, but I'm pretty lean right now, a little pudge in the lovehandles and lower gut but not much.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:45 am

Well, stick fencing got postponed to Saturday afternoon, but that works. A little stiff and slower today till later.

Some random patterns and drills, sword, knife, empty hand today.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:40 am

Saturday- Stick Fencing for about 2 hours. Some pell work and swinging steel.

Sunday - Rest.

Monday - Random Yoga through out the day, maybe 30minutes worth and random stick and saber, maybe about 1 hour's worth.

Today
Trained with a student for a little more than an hour with cane vs staff/ pool cue, ect.

Tomorrow, easy KBs, random sword and stick drills, got something I want to be fresh for Friday night up in Baltimore way.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Baltimore was great. Lots of neat fencing, from sport, to Rapier to saber to Sclager and Dussack.

The next day, good 2 hour class.

Sunday I sat on ass a lot but worked with son for 30 minutes with nerfs and a joint lock.

Monday - Blew shit up, drank.

Tuesday - Taught 2 privates and then a JJ class.

Weds - random drills for backsword, saber, cane throught the day, maybe 45minutes worth.

Thursday - About 2 hours fencing single stick, single stick and buckler, single stick and knife with Iron Dog and we fenced my son with nerfs.

1.25 hours of Crom's class, FMA mostly. Good stuff, boy came with without being asked.

Playing with the keg and some kbs, maybe the straps, in a bout an hour when my buddy gets here.

I need a scale and some body fat calipers, I'd bet I'm at about a fluctuation of 185-190 and about 10-12% body fat. I am carrying lean muscle wise but that's not big deal, winter is meat packing time. Being light is easy on me, I am doing a lot without a lot of pain.

On that front though, I have some very minute shoulder warnings, all this fencing and what not, so it's time to dust off the 7 minute rotator cuff shit and do the knees, hip, back and the bicep/forearm thing arm while I am at it. Strengthening and structure, not worried about any growth but i did get some broths as I don;t eat much in the summer but I want a bit more protein down my neck.

More broths and water, less coffee, tea and soda. Juice about the same and increase the ratio of veggies vs. everything else when I do eat and keep at it.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:35 am

Played with kegs and KBs on Friday.

Saturday 9:30-11:45 Ju Jutsu/Combatives/Arnis. Spared Crom, he using FMA sticks, me with a single stick ( Backsword) and a short stick ( Dirk) using Highland Broadsword - British Military sword style. Nailed his fingertip through the glove nastily. Now that's why I just bought a bunch of used Hockey gloves.

Hell Yeah!

Trained the youngest son for 30 minutes, grab throat entry and face smash.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:12 pm

Sunday July 10, 2016

10:15 - 11:10am JEEP MULE STRENGTH & Conditioning

Pulled the jeep, alternating between pulling with the strap across my ass with just the legs, then pulling it with my arms like reins and mixing both for 3 sets of about 50 yards each.

Pushed the jeep, locking in a front stance and isolating the upper body to extension adding in the legs and messing with technique to emphasis different muscles and movement, mixing in some Fencing style lunging and traveling for 3 sets of about 50 yards each.

12-12:10PM Bastard sword flourishing, doubling, tripling . Slow medium and natural speed. Technical mindset.

12:30 - 1:20PM Taught a student, mostly hand sparring with single baton, Arnis-Silat,Armaura style.

1:20 - 1:30PM Highland and English Broadsword/Saber drills with single stick up and down my hill, equal Left and Right hand work.

2-2:15PM Bastard Swords doubling, tripling and Flourishing, Medium, natural and fast speed. Combat mindset.

2:30-2:45PM British Officer Sword cut, guard and repost drills, more Left than Right hand.

Ice shoulder immediately after while hanging in the pool with my daughter, alternating with icing right hand from Amberger's handywork.

Now I am in Sunday lazy mode. No more MA or PT anything other than fucking the woman's brains out tonight.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:35 pm

Civil Defense

20 minutes of cutting and thrusting apples with saber and 20 minutes Arnis stick drills on the tire pell Thursday

1 hour of knife fencing and 30 minutes unarmed against the blade on Thursday night

2 hours of Backsword and Longsword fencing yesterday.

1 hour of knife fencing this morning

30 minutes with the air rifle, cans and apples aimed fire, soda box and soccer ball for point shooting.

30 minutes flourishing with Backsword, Saber and hybrid "Satana" plus I cut a of of low hanging branches with it.

S&C

Fencing Drills on hill Weds for 30 minutes and some random practice throughout the week at this.

30 minutes KBs, Kegs and bodyweight on Weds.

20-40 mins of Yoga every day

Backward pull with some rows mixed in, Strap pull and Conan's Wheel push with the Jeep at 9:30am today.

Did some Rotator work Monday night too.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:12 pm

Down to 185#s, I have not been this light since after my operation, feels better, think I might get rid of about 5-8 more before November’s uptick in lifting.

Only doing dedicated PT about once every 4 to 7 days..

But I have been training a lot. Between solo work with weapons, and empty hand, teaching 1 to 2 Ju jutsu/Combatives classes a week, several privates and fencing with my son, Iron Dog and who ever, I am getting my 14 hours of martial training a week goal.

I think the sword has played the biggest role, kinda like heavy hands. Best cardio machine I've bought besides KBs. I spend half of my none teaching martial arts time on the sword arts now.

I fenced and drilled Backsword, backsword and Buckler, Kinfe and Buckler and Knife for about 3 hours today I have a Ju Jutsu/Combatives class in an hour. I'll teach half but half we are doing Pugilism.

Add a hard fuck and it's a POWER TO YOU, COMRADE day!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:21 am

In the last 2.5 weeks I have only had 1 day where I did not do something sword or martial arts related.

On the 7th I went up to Baltimore again to Fence with some folks, Backsword, Cutlass and Single sticks. Brought the boy, he did well.

On the 8th I trained with Wink and crew and got a Black Shirt in his art.

Taking 3 days where I don't fence or run a stick with my right arm, need to let the shoulder rest.

Tomorrow I'll do easy Yoga and only use my left with weapons.

Friday, if I feel right I'll do some S&C with some prehab/rehab.

Need to do 7 Minute Rotator once every 4-8 days.

I am at 183#s today.